Can't get into other MMOs after GW2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Can't get into other MMOs after GW2

Anyone else finding it difficult to get into other MMOs after playing Guild Wars 2? I tried to get into ESO, but I like being able to get into PvP right away. Moreover, the lack of grind in GW2 makes me appreciate it over any other MMORPG. I just can't play any other MMO now.

<1

Comments

  • Raknar.4735Raknar.4735 Member ✭✭✭

    Well, there haven't been any new MMORPGs worth mentioning since 2015 in my opinion. It's not hard for me to get into other MMOs, there are just none.

    You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you. Umbasa.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    For me it was the other way around: before GW1 I thought I wouldn't be able to play an MMO because I couldn't play enough to make any progress with all the grinding required, or to justify paying a subscription. Also the time I did have was (and is) unpredictable so I couldn't be online at the same time every day to meet people in-game and get to know them, but that issue has been mostly solved with features which are now pretty much universal, like guild chat and friends lists which mean you don't have to be in the same place at the same time to find someone.

    I do play Elder Scrolls Online, but I went into that knowing I'd never be able to keep up with most people and with no expectation that I'd be doing end-game content. I got it in 2015 and my main character got to CP160 in 2019. If they hadn't stopped increasing the cap I'd probably never have reached it. But I like the Elder Scrolls games and I'd played the betas so I knew there would be enough stuff I could do that it wouldn't be an issue (once they made the subscription optional). It just means whenever someone starts going on about which dungeon sets I "need" and how it should only take me 10-15 runs or whatever to get them I just smile and nod and then carry on with my crafted gear.

    Danielle Aurorel - Desolation EU. Mini Collector.

    "Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die. Drain you of your sanity, face the thing that should not be"

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:
    Ive looked into all the MMOS that id be interested in on the market and they all fall short compared to what this one has.

    Except for better stories and deeper RPG immersion...

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @Dante.1763 said:
    Ive looked into all the MMOS that id be interested in on the market and they all fall short compared to what this one has.

    Except for better stories and deeper RPG immersion...

    I get plenty of RP immersion, but sure, whatever you say. I guess everyone has different ideas on what rpg immersion is. No MMO will ever reach KOTOR or NWN levels of RPG/Story levels, so i dont put alot of weight on that, and honestly i throw out 90% of the story in most MMOS id o RP in.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • I haven't tried other MMOs, but I have been using this downtime to finally play the millions of games I bought on Steam when they were on sale and promptly forgot about.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No necessarily an MMO. I have been primarily playing Warframe lately.

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

    I play gw2 and eso. (and a bit of bdo but can't really get into it) I love them for different reasons. I play gw2 when I want to do group activities and fast fights and random collections or lots of available things to do. I play eso when I want a more quiet time doing quests solo, slower fights, more interesting stories in quests and stuff like that.
    Gw2:groups and quick action.
    Eso:solo and a slower pace.

  • Tzarakiel.7490Tzarakiel.7490 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    For me it's honestly all the quality of life features in GW2 that makes other mmos unplayable. So many mmos just tried to be WoW and copied all its flaws and playing them feels more like abuse than entertainment.

    PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mortifera.6138 said:
    Anyone else finding it difficult to get into other MMOs after playing Guild Wars 2? I tried to get into ESO, but I like being able to get into PvP right away. Moreover, the lack of grind in GW2 makes me appreciate it over any other MMORPG. I just can't play any other MMO now.

    It's true until it isn't, but for now?

    I also tried ESO, and while it seems like a really solid game, the combat and movement felt very floaty and imprecise to me. I also disliked the resource management mechanic utilizing slow, charged attacks interspersed with bursts of activity. It just made the combat feel really off to me and I couldn't get into it.

    I tried FFXIV and it seemed absolutely awful. The intro was as generic as it gets! They literally start you off on a ship sailing to "adventure" and when you get there you run errands all over town for an hour before you finally venture out into the countryside to...kill 10 of these, then 10 of those, while searching for Old Man's socks. Barf! Everyone told me it gets a lot better later on, which is fair and can definitely be said about this game as well. But I never made it because of the colossal GCD on skills! I'm afraid that is just a deal-breaker for me.

    I did BnS. Great combat system! Felt like a fighting game and it's the only one I've tried that would give GW2 combat a run for its money. But otherwise the game seemed like complete garbage. There seemed to be only one story arc that you were forced to play through it on every character and it's as generic a story as FFXIV's intro!

    WoW, of course. It's a hot mess. I heard they're going to overhaul it, but when I tried it there was no coherence to leveling. No personal story and you level so quickly through the zones that you never learn what's going on anywhere because you're too busy killing 10 of these and then 10 of those and so on. It's just a huge grind to level 120. Worse, the combat feels pretty much exactly the same as it did 15 years ago! Long GCDs, channels, low mobility, no active avoidance, passive, passive, passive. It's just really dated at this point and all it has going for it is the massive amount of content they put out.

    I need to give BDO a try. I got as far as downloading it and creating a character. Beautiful character models. You could waste a lot of time in their character manager with its impressive array of options. But as of yet I have no feel for the combat or anything else that might be relevant to a comparison.

    So, yeah, I do find it difficult. This game is far from perfect, but there are a lot of things to love about it, too. I'm sure I could learn to appreciate some of these other games if I were willing to put in the time and overlook their shortcomings the way I do for GW2. But why do that when I could play GW2?

  • Gryphon.2875Gryphon.2875 Member ✭✭✭

    I play SWTOR and Star Trek Online on occasion, but I'll see a planet or something that reminds me of Tyria, and poof I'm heading back into GW2.

  • DoRi Silvia.4159DoRi Silvia.4159 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    Tried almost all mmorpg when I 'hit the brick wall' in gw2, big names to smaller names wow ffxiv archeage black desert b&s etc etc
    Played all those games long enough to atleast finish the stories but I always found my self at the back of my mind thinking about gw2 whilst playing other games. This just says it all I had to come back

    Ever since then its pushed me to do new things I never used to in game like ranked pvp, wvw organized, raids and fractals cms
    Now, I feel like there isnt enough time to play - as in I'm still playing 2-3 hrs a day on weekdays but feel like I need more time to do the things I want to do

  • HardRider.2980HardRider.2980 Member ✭✭✭

    All depends on what you want from an MMO and what you're willing to not have if it means having more of something else.
    I'd say.. truely sit down and list the good things you love and the things you hate.. and go from there.

    A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

  • I've got a bit of a teeter-totter problem on the subject:

    When GW2 has stuff to do, I camp the game like a harmit. / When it's stuck in a dell, I tend to write or play other single-player games bc nothing quite compares. But... I find I'm more in the later camp these days. Much to my great displeasure :(

    Potential requires action in order to be realized.

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    What colour is the grass when you are actually standing on that side? :wink:

    Yup ... as much as people want to dump on GW2 ... it's a good game and it's hard to break away from.

    @ugrakarma.9416 said:
    GW2 is my last MMO, if i leave im done, my "alternative" for gw2 is basically offline games like Hearts of Iron IV and older RTS games, i still play Total Anihilation! lolz.

    Yeah, to bad paradox ruined the research system and unit hierarchy in HOI4.

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

    i dont even bother to touch any game remotely require grinding mob, no other MMO can hard carry casuals like GW2 does

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • I have been trying for years to capture the same experience i had in Dark Age Of Camelot. I have not been able to find it, not even in GW2 but i do like GW2. I keep flip flopping between a few MMORPGs. I get kinda bored real easy now and that is due to being so far behind everyone usually and then i switch again to another game haha. I would have to say my second favorite behind dark age would be Star Wars TOR. I still play it off and on also.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sojourner.4621 said:

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @Mortifera.6138 said:
    Anyone else finding it difficult to get into other MMOs after playing Guild Wars 2? I tried to get into ESO, but I like being able to get into PvP right away. Moreover, the lack of grind in GW2 makes me appreciate it over any other MMORPG. I just can't play any other MMO now.

    It's true until it isn't, but for now?

    I also tried ESO, and while it seems like a really solid game, the combat and movement felt very floaty and imprecise to me. I also disliked the resource management mechanic utilizing slow, charged attacks interspersed with bursts of activity. It just made the combat feel really off to me and I couldn't get into it.

    I tried FFXIV and it seemed absolutely awful. The intro was as generic as it gets! They literally start you off on a ship sailing to "adventure" and when you get there you run errands all over town for an hour before you finally venture out into the countryside to...kill 10 of these, then 10 of those, while searching for Old Man's socks. Barf! Everyone told me it gets a lot better later on, which is fair and can definitely be said about this game as well. But I never made it because of the colossal GCD on skills! I'm afraid that is just a deal-breaker for me.

    I did BnS. Great combat system! Felt like a fighting game and it's the only one I've tried that would give GW2 combat a run for its money. But otherwise the game seemed like complete garbage. There seemed to be only one story arc that you were forced to play through it on every character and it's as generic a story as FFXIV's intro!

    WoW, of course. It's a hot mess. I heard they're going to overhaul it, but when I tried it there was no coherence to leveling. No personal story and you level so quickly through the zones that you never learn what's going on anywhere because you're too busy killing 10 of these and then 10 of those and so on. It's just a huge grind to level 120. Worse, the combat feels pretty much exactly the same as it did 15 years ago! Long GCDs, channels, low mobility, no active avoidance, passive, passive, passive. It's just really dated at this point and all it has going for it is the massive amount of content they put out.

    I need to give BDO a try. I got as far as downloading it and creating a character. Beautiful character models. You could waste a lot of time in their character manager with its impressive array of options. But as of yet I have no feel for the combat or anything else that might be relevant to a comparison.

    So, yeah, I do find it difficult. This game is far from perfect, but there are a lot of things to love about it, too. I'm sure I could learn to appreciate some of these other games if I were willing to put in the time and overlook their shortcomings the way I do for GW2. But why do that when I could play GW2?

    To be honest BDO has ultimately the same problem as BnS. The combat is fantastic and the game itself is gorgeous and.... that's it. The story is generic and terrible. The enemies you fight early in the game have essentially no AI at all and just stand there auto-attacking while you hit them, making the great combat meaningless, and the trek to a meaningful level so you can get to the world PvP that is the best part of the game is a slog... and it's very Pay to Win.

    Ahh, that's disappointing. I really did enjoy the combat in BnS. But I thought how nice it would have been if the rest of the game would just go away...

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mortifera.6138 said:
    Anyone else finding it difficult to get into other MMOs after playing Guild Wars 2? I tried to get into ESO, but I like being able to get into PvP right away.

    Grass greener and such stuff. I honestly wish a lot more players would give other MMORPGs a shot, even if only to appreciate what GW2 actually provides (and at what cost, near none that is if it's only about gameplay).

    @Mortifera.6138 said:
    Moreover, the lack of grind in GW2 makes me appreciate it over any other MMORPG. I just can't play any other MMO now.

    The lack of grind is a blessing and a curse.

    Blessing because for many players who have family, time commitments, work, [insert any reasons to not binge play a game], etc. it is one of the only MMORPG options which allow these types of players to meaningfully interact with the game, outside of constantly chasing the carrot on a stick gear monster.

    Curse because it forces a complete 180 from the conditioning most of us have received when it comes what we perceive as content. Once you strip other MMORPGs of their gear treadmill content, you realize how bare bones the content there actually is. Does that mean chasing gear is not fun? Absolutely not. It appeals to our very basic nature of gathering, building and improving and man is it great to have that missing piece to a build drop on the x-th dungeon run.

  • Gryphon.2875Gryphon.2875 Member ✭✭✭

    I've never liked gear or level grinds, which is yet another reason I prefer GW1 and 2.

    Of course, nothing eliminated the grind like GW Factions: max level before you leave the starting island, and max armor in the first main city vendor.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is true for me too, I can't play another MMORPG for a good amount of time because GW2 is just better than all the other games I've tried. I just wish the game would become more popular and get more regular content updates.

  • Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I can't imagine I'll play another mmo after this one, but I wouldn't have thought I'd ever play this one either, so who knows . . .

    FFXIV would be my most likely candidate, but I doubt I'd ever play a sub game . . .

  • Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

    I have tried at least 4 other MMOs in the last years - but I still came back to GW2 every time.

    So, my alternative to playing GW2 would be: Not playing MMOs at all. Which I do from time to time, when there is no fun content/activity in GW2 for me.

    https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

  • Henry.5713Henry.5713 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    Given how restricted I am on time these days - Guild Wars 2 is the perfect MMORPG for me, kinda. My playing hours seem to come down to a raid fullclear on mondays and occasional ventures into WvW to solo roam or to team up with old friends. There is a lot of stuff I still like about the game but it is also a game I have been playing for ages and with people I enjoy being around.
    All of this makes it rather hard to get into new games by myself and kinda of impossible to move there with friends who might easily spend more than twice or thrice the amount of hours I am able to invest. Meaning they are going to be far ahead and I am not much for holding people back. Not to mention the fact that I have become rather picky with these kinda games after almost two decades of playing MMORPGs when you end up feeling like everything is just a rehash of something you have seen a million times already and that there is hardly ever anything "new".
    So, I am in the same boat as the others here who said they might not play another MMORPG after Guild Wars 2 (or at least for a long while). There are a bunch of old RTS being brought lately and those are the games I might stick to if I ever decide to fully quit. While replaying old MMORPGs really isn't my thing various reasons. The content I usually enjoy doesn't allow me to pick it up and play after years, the people I knew are gone, things changed to the worse (even if only subjectively), etc.

    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. ~ Robert Heinlein

  • Odinens.5920Odinens.5920 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    @Gop.8713 said:
    FFXIV would be my most likely candidate, but I doubt I'd ever play a sub game . . .

    I left FFXIV a few years ago to come here. Tired of the same ol treadmill in mmos. Spend x amount of time upgrading gear every x number of months, in the same drab "boss on a platform" arena fights. I will say it has among the best storylines in an mmo, so I guess there's that.

    Nope, I recently went back to EVE, my all time favorite mmo, where actions actually have consequences, whether it's losing your ship to some suicide ganker, or mining asteroids to build ships people lose, or just doing some station or region trading. Where your corporation (EVE's version of guilds) can actually take and own space......on the same server everyone else plays on (there's only 1). As far as mmos go it's the closest thing to a true sandbox you'll get.

    Until the WvW changes announced 2 years ago happen I think I'll stick to only doing WvW on Friday resets........occasionally.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I play other MMO's from time to time, usually in periods where I play one a lot while on a break from Gw2.

    Gw2 always remains my main though for many reasons.
    There are a number of features etc in other MMO's that keep me hooked on them.. in ESO for example I love the thievery mechanics that game has.
    Being able to pickpocket people, steal from lockboxes, assassinate NPC's and just pillage everything from a shop or stand is such a fun thing to have in a MMO, both for me to do myself and also enjoy watching others attempting to do to.
    Watching someone screw up a pickpocket only to get utterl mobbed by town guards is an hilarious thing to witness XD
    I also love how you can become a Warewolf or Vampire in ESO too which are the only fantasy creatures next to Dragons that I am a major nerd for.

    Other MMO's still fall short on what Gw2 offers though, be that the amount of free content added to Gw2, the great story and lore Guildwars as a franchise has or the ridiculously smooth gameplay and combat mechanics that Gw2 has that I would gladly claim no other MMO can come close to.
    There are other good MMO's out there that offer many fun things that Gw2 doesn't have..
    But Guildwars will always be my main MMO and I'll always keep coming back to it because I love this franchise.

  • Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It was pretty easy for me. XIV respects my time a lot more.
    Just last night, I was trying to work on achivements in Bjora, and 4 of the chests I need for a mastery point were locked behind a meta-event. ..that started after I went to bed. Having the entire game on clocks isn't healthy, and it makes doing content when I want to do it extremely difficult. Instead of waiting to have fun, I just log off and do something fun elsewhere.

    Many alts! Handle it!

    "A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

  • sokeenoppa.5384sokeenoppa.5384 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rauderi.8706 said:
    It was pretty easy for me. XIV respects my time a lot more.
    Just last night, I was trying to work on achivements in Bjora, and 4 of the chests I need for a mastery point were locked behind a meta-event. ..that started after I went to bed. Having the entire game on clocks isn't healthy, and it makes doing content when I want to do it extremely difficult. Instead of waiting to have fun, I just log off and do something fun elsewhere.

    That meta starts every 2 hours tho if i recall right, so its not that bad.

    I'll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'm in a love/hate relationship with this game. I love the combat and build freedom. The skin system is pretty nice too. Those are really all the keeps me on this game. If I find a game with comparable combat and build freedom I will drop GW2 in a heart beat. I hate how things are balanced and how content is released. The unfun "mechanics" they add, the low effort skins, the seemingly poor community interaction, and the list goes on. It's not that GW2 is the best MMO ever for me, just the best atm. I have my eye on a few up coming MMO's.

    Depression and anxiety are the worst...

  • Donutdude.9582Donutdude.9582 Member ✭✭✭

    Yes.

    I desperately want to get into and enjoy Blade and Soul as I think it looks beautiful but it...just doesn't grab me like Guild Wars 2 does! :anguished:

    My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    I started to play Star Trek online after HoT :/ made me start trying another games.
    Also ingot complete burdened from gw2 awfull pvp tryed to get back into gw1 but it is a bit

    Since 2k’ish I’ve only played mainly gw1 and RO, until gw2 arrived...

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Aeolus.3615 said:
    I started to play Star Trek online after HoT :/ actually gw2 problema is what made me start trying another games.
    Since 2k’ish I’ve only played mainly gw1 and RO.

    Star Trek Online is the closest another game has gotten to hook me like GW2, but ironically at least at that time years ago its PvE and PvP shared some issues with GW2 despite being so totally different. The power creep was just so weird. I mean sure you could go with classical phaser banks, but I was flying around a burst torpedoboat that pretty much burned down shields in one pass and followed up by a massive torpedo barrage to destroy anything. Maybe it has changed now I dont know.

    Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

  • Lilyanna.9361Lilyanna.9361 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I want things to do in Gw2 and BDO gave me goals. All I read here is people liking the combat and that's it. I wanted things to do. Lifeskilling, grinding, trading, horse breeding, RP, PvP, socializing, fishing, traveling, everything and more.

    Gw2 is such a downgrade rn and even though certainly is not the best and has horrid flaws of its own, you can't make me go back to dated models, dated graphics, and no sense of gear progression. Just yuck. I'm glad I'm out of my gw2 rut tbh, never been happier and haven't looked back.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lilyanna.9361 said:
    I want things to do in Gw2 and BDO gave me goals. All I read here is people liking the combat and that's it. I wanted things to do. Lifeskilling, grinding, trading, horse breeding, RP, PvP, socializing, fishing, traveling, everything and more.

    Gw2 is such a downgrade rn and even though certainly is not the best and has horrid flaws of its own, you can't make me go back to dated models, dated graphics, and no sense of gear progression. Just yuck. I'm glad I'm out of my gw2 rut tbh, never been happier and haven't looked back.

    Isn't BDO all about the grind though? Also, the PvP seems super gear dependent to the point where a higher gear score can carry you

    Depression and anxiety are the worst...

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020

    @Dawdler.8521 said:

    @Aeolus.3615 said:
    I started to play Star Trek online after HoT :/ actually gw2 problema is what made me start trying another games.
    Since 2k’ish I’ve only played mainly gw1 and RO.

    Star Trek Online is the closest another game has gotten to hook me like GW2, but ironically at least at that time years ago its PvE and PvP shared some issues with GW2 despite being so totally different. The power creep was just so weird. I mean sure you could go with classical phaser banks, but I was flying around a burst torpedoboat that pretty much burned down shields in one pass and followed up by a massive torpedo barrage to destroy anything. Maybe it has changed now I dont know.

    Can’t queue to pvp on it due lack of players and build gear gap... it’s the gw2 and bdo problema in on game lol.... many broken science torp builds that clear maps in a few seconds, imagine a ele Nuke that wipes the EB map, there’s like a few players that know how to build arround that tho but overall pve player on pvp they just leave w/o saying a word.

    Still atm it’s my main pve and grind game.

    Gw2 is there just for the wvw.(anything else in gw2 is boring due how enforces gimmick ratther the gw1 type gameplay)

    I have been wondering if return to gw1 even for pve...
    I m8 install it today actually.

  • Only other MMO I play is Lord of the Rings Online.
    Not the greatest MMO by all means, but being a huge fan of Middle Earth, there is no other game that does story adaptation better than LOTRO.

  • I am not too familiar with this game anymore really. It seems like when i played this game last it was grindy as far as collecting materials and gaining currencies etc etc but i never minded because i had a good guild to play with and getting mats to complete a project was fun ( but grindy )
    So when yall say this is not a grindy game, in what aspects do you mean? :D

  • Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't have any interest in MMO's outside Guild Wars 2... well, except for WoW. I've heard WoW is grindy, but I also married a wealthy veteran WoW-Baron who showers my characters with legendaries, mounts, and so-on... so I don't encounter any grind in WoW personally haha.
    The GW2 system is nice because I can devote a lot or just a little time to it and still have meaningful progression. I started GW2 in high school when I had all the time in the world, but going through college, getting a job, and starting a family have definitely cut down on game-time.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @PeerlessArch.6547 said:
    Only other MMO I play is Lord of the Rings Online.
    Not the greatest MMO by all means, but being a huge fan of Middle Earth, there is no other game that does story adaptation better than LOTRO.

    I use to love playing LOTRO. I honestly have no clue why I stopped playing.

    Depression and anxiety are the worst...

  • Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @t sakacs.7568 said:
    I am not too familiar with this game anymore really. It seems like when i played this game last it was grindy as far as collecting materials and gaining currencies etc etc but i never minded because i had a good guild to play with and getting mats to complete a project was fun ( but grindy )
    So when yall say this is not a grindy game, in what aspects do you mean? :D

    In general in relation to getting characters content ready and being able to play this game without penalties versus veteran player who have been playing non-stop for 7 years. As well as being able to take breaks at ones own leisure without an ongoing gear treadmill in place. Also there are often multiple ways to acquire items, so players can pick and chose how to approach the gathering.

    Much of the fancy stuff can get very grindy in GW2 too.

  • Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭

    No. I find it quite easy to get into other games. Right now im playing monster hunter world iceborne. Excellent action/mmoish hybrid. Capcom released a roadmap thats very satisfactory. In the spring i plan to jump to Phantasy Star Online as my next mmo. ill play gw2 after the season is over so i can binge play thru all the new "content." Thier hype machine is kitten and the only reason to play is to see how the story will end.

  • Hm.. GW2 did make it really difficult for me to get into FFXIV at first.
    The difference in combat speed and mobility is just that huge, especially with how static and slow the combat is in the early levels of FFXIV.
    It made me quit the first time I tried it before having a chance to really get into it.

    ..that was many years ago, in which I eventually tried again and played long enough to get hooked by its story. Combat got better and better the higher the level went, with each expansion adding something more to it. What I really like about it is that you can have all jobs / classes on the same character, and you're able to freely switch between them and keep an individual level for each class. On the other hand GW2 gets points for exploration of the world, just going around and doing events together with random other players. The open world feels more alive, and you do more stuff together with other players while out in the open in GW2 - on the other hand I think FFXIV has more interesting party and raid instances, also in much bigger quantity. Both have a very interesting story, in their own way - and in both games you can (as of yet, partially) replay them if you want, without needing to make a new character.

    Personally I like both quite a lot, and while I'm not constantly active in both (only recently playing in GW2 again, and been months since I've last been in FFXIV), I do always enjoy when I end up getting back into it and exploring whatever new content the recent patches have brought.

  • Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

    I started with Lineage II and that type of Korean masochism. Luckily I stopped because that stuff just ruins your life. The guild castle siege type pvp and open world assassinations were awesome and it really did wonders for the community, guild rivalries and the drama but it required to give up your life to be able to stay competitive.

    Then came Wow. From late vanilla to end of woltk I played it exclusively, soon after woltk I quit. Great game at start when it was actually a rpg with people doing all sorts of stuff in open world. There was quality pve (instanced and open world), open world pvp with all the drama and they added decent pvp modes. But then with flying mounts and main focus on raids it just became waiting for the next raid wing and grinding new tier of gear. You can only suffer that many expansions of that. Pvp I always liked but I always missed the chaos of large scale pvp or open world drama. There are better games out there that focus on competitive strict X vs X pvp. I always liked the chaos of a mmorpg slugfest.

    GW2 at first I thought I won't like it. No real gear progression, carebear PVE without drama. How is this even a mmorpg? Well it is and a freaking good one. The design is just good. All content relevant, incentive to work together and ability to hop into any late game activity pretty much immediately is just so good. Pvp is fine. It's a mmorpg I don't expect to be on par with pvp exclusive games. The only thing I miss is some kind of development of WvW. They don't even need to change maps or add new content often, just add some incentive to fight for your guild and your server. Some impact on the world outside of WvW. Doesn't need to be game advantage or monetary gain, just some means to show everyone that "we are bad kitten and we own this place".