Thoughts on low level pvp?

Ryudnard.2587

So there is wow classic twink battlegrounds for level 19/29/39/49. I thought it would be interesting to see it in gw2 as well.

A few months ago, when I invited my friends brand new to gw2, they enjoyed leveling for a while, but when we wanted to play some pvp modes together, that was a trouble. They had no idea what was going on because they were upscaled to level 80. They geniuely disliked it. They coudlnt even join WvW as well due to being low level.

I believe the low level pvp modes can be a comfort place for the new comers. It will also attract those avid pvp players becuase it is pvp.

Maybe make it as an event week and test out how it is?

It is a very popular mode in wow and I think it should work the same way or even better in gw2 because we have more flexibility and variation of different builds and items.

1) can people stop refering to wow pvp. I mean if we play gw2 and not wow it is because we want something different.2) Pvp in gw2 is gear and level independant which is a way healthier concept imo than winning a game thanks to grind and gear.

Mean it's nice in videogame to have differents games who gives differents play and not have a multiple copy of the same game everywhere.

@Dantheman.3589 said:I think hard separations based on rank should be implemented. Ie legend players should never get plat1 players or lower in matches- that’s just common sense

Actually, the difference between 1,800 and 1,500 is not as much as you think. The platinum break downs (approximated), is top 10% get to P1, 5% to P2 and 1% to P3. Leg only handful. P1 playing with a leg is not far off in skill level. That is 90th percentile and 100th percentile. Not that I think P1 should be matched against leg. P2? No issues at all.

1,500 and 1,200 on the other hand is a completely off. If I remember correctly, mid G2 is around 50th percentile. Which puts the vast majority players in gold. G2 with P1 is a disaster in the making. That is putting an average player with someone in the top 10th in skill level.

Ratings are very deceptive. No one who plays the game is in silver or bronze. I dunno why they exist. The difference in gold levels is monumental. Starting from upper G3 the difference in ratings is minimal compared to actual skill level.

@otto.5684 said:

@Dantheman.3589 said:I think hard separations based on rank should be implemented. Ie legend players should never get plat1 players or lower in matches- that’s just common sense

Actually, the difference between 1,800 and 1,500 is not as much as you think. The platinum break downs (approximated), is top 10% get to P1, 5% to P2 and 1% to P3. Leg only handful. P1 playing with a leg is not far off in skill level. That is 90th percentile and 100th percentile. Not that I think P1 should be matched against leg. P2? No issues at all.

1,500 and 1,200 on the other hand is a completely off. If I remember correctly, mid G2 is around 50th percentile. Which puts the vast majority players in gold. G2 with P1 is a disaster in the making. That is putting an average player with someone in the top 10th in skill level.

Ratings are very deceptive. No one who plays the game is in silver or bronze. I dunno why they exist. The difference in gold levels is monumental. Starting from upper G3 the difference in ratings is minimal compared to actual skill level.

Depends on player. Some ppl need to duo 100% of the time to get w.e they think is good plat2+ usually. Someone like me, who solo qs most of the time ppl might go wow plat2 that’s good though I’ve been as high as legend solo q and when I duo I can be around there consistently, it seems way different. If I’m plat2 but can compete with a legend duo skill wise great, but can the average plat1-2 even gold player do this? Most likely no since there are 2 of them vs 1 of me.Honestly I just think a hard cut off could somehow make matchmaking better but I know it’s unrealistic atm

Thoughts in low level pvp:

1. Where do I go? What do I do?
  2. WOW! I just killed that dude, awesome!.
  3. Hey, teleport skills, and I died but couldn't see them. HACKER (types whisper to the "hacker"..."i'm gonna report you scum hacker", "it's on video" (it's not))
  4. Why are there dorito crumbs in my keyboard? Hey my chimichangas are done, the microwave just dinged.
  5. Okay, I'm actually pro now, time to make an alt smurf account.
  6. Hey guys, I'm actually a pro, this is just my alt. I'm smurfing. And, like, losing on purpose. You should see the real me. (they don't want to see the REAL you)
  7. I got to poop, i wonder if they will notice if I am afk...(goes to poop, and comes back to find self kicked from the game)
  8. Dang, this mesmer has like 16 clones. Screenshotting this shit. (there are two mesmers, and it was only 4, but who's counting?)
  9. MOm! Meatloaf!

@Dantheman.3589 said:

Depends on player. Some ppl need to duo 100% of the time to get w.e they think is good plat2+ usually. Someone like me, who solo qs most of the time ppl might go wow plat2 that’s good though I’ve been as high as legend solo q and when I duo I can be around there consistently, it seems way different. If I’m plat2 but can compete with a legend duo skill wise great, but can the average plat1-2 even gold player do this? Most likely no since there are 2 of them vs 1 of me.Honestly I just think a hard cut off could somehow make matchmaking better but I know it’s unrealistic atm

Well, the average P1 or P2 player are not avg at all, assuming their ranking reflect their skill level. A P2 player should be able to compete with leg. It is just a 5% skill level difference. A leg will regularly be matched with P2. A G3 player should never be matched with a P2 player (and it happens way too often). Even worse, a G2 player should never be matched with a P1. Even though these are 200 rating points difference. It is far larger skill level difference the more you go down. Hard cut-off should be based on percentile (which it’s rating break points are not crystal clear). Not specific rating intervals, like every 100 points.

As for rating actually matching skill level, all I will say is meh. If you can hold an above 55% win rate, considering the RNG, you are a skilled player. If mainly solo que beyond 60% is unrealistic. Not calling people cheating, but pushing higher relies on two factors:

1) duo queuing.2) adding most players who are in P3 and leg (they are not many) to your friends list. Que ranked only when few of them are on.

Gold players cannot reliably use these tactics to get ratings higher than what they actually deserve.

@otto.5684 said:

The difference between low p1 and mid p2 is already huge btw.I think I see your mistake, you think they are in the top x% skillwise while they are just there rating wise, like you said rating is deceptive.