Unbreakable Tools for all characters?

Hello,

Lately I've been thinking about buying the set of "Unbreakable gathering tools" in the Black Lion Trading Company.Although the description says "The tools will change your excisting tools on any character".

Does this also count for new characters after buying this very set?In other words, does this also change the tools for a newly made character, but with the character made after the buying of the set of tools by another (already excisting) character?

It does not change the tools for all characters. You get one pick, axe and sickle that can only equipped by a single character at any one time. But they can be freely transferred to your other characters to use. There is no level restriction, so a newly created level 2 character can equip them.

Most of us use the shared inventory slots to share tools between alts.

I was also confused about the wording of this item. I expected to have the gathering tools on all my characters change to the unbreakable items -- more like a permanent slot item that couldn't be moved. Which would be great because then I wouldn't mind dropping the money to buy them. The idea of remembering to remove them, and juggle them between characters with my few shared inventory slots (or worse, my bank) sounds too cumbersome to be worth it.

Now, if I need a gathering tool, I go to the guild hall and buy it. When I leave the guild hall I'm right back where I should be.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:The idea of remembering to remove them, and juggle them between characters with my few shared inventory slots (or worse, my bank) sounds too cumbersome to be worth it.

That's true when you're just talking about unbreakable regular tools, but when it comes to the special ones such as the Unbound Magic or Sprocket mining pick(the latter is apparently quite profitable) I'd say it is worth the hassle.

Simplest way, requiring 3 Shared Inventory Slots:1) Put Unbreakable tools in Shared Slots.2) Equip each character with regular tools.3) When logging in to a character, open inventory and double-click the tools. This swaps so unbreakable are equipped while regular tools are in shared inventory.4) Before logging out that character, open inventory and double-click the regular tools to get the unbreakable back into shared inventory.

Repeat 4 & 5 when logging another character.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Simplest way, requiring 3 Shared Inventory Slots:1) Put Unbreakable tools in Shared Slots.2) Equip each character with regular tools.3) When logging in to a character, open inventory and double-click the tools. This swaps so unbreakable are equipped while regular tools are in shared inventory.4) Before logging out that character, open inventory and double-click the regular tools to get the unbreakable back into shared inventory.

If you don't want toss money on shared slots just use storage instead exact same way as the above instructions. How I do it since if I'm changing chars I use some ascended gear and other items across all chars, I have to visit storage anyways. Just a cheaper alternative. i prefer storage over shared as I use shared for other items like VIP passes and friend teleports.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Chickenooble.5014 said:The idea of remembering to remove them, and juggle them between characters with my few shared inventory slots (or worse, my bank) sounds too cumbersome to be worth it.

That's true when you're just talking about unbreakable regular tools, but when it comes to the special ones such as the Unbound Magic or Sprocket mining pick(the latter is apparently quite profitable) I'd say it is worth the hassle.

I bought each of my characters their own personal set designed to fit their theme. IE: Undead Mining Minions for my necro,

Always having to remember to put the tools back into the shared slots before logging a char off would bother me enough to not even consider buying the needed shared slots, or the needed tools (I only have one permanent tool for mining, which always stays on my main - no axe and no sickle).

If they would put a package of three "shared tool slots" (which currently don't exist) into the gemstore I would buy it, and a sickle, and an axe. These slots would only be able to hold tools and not act as additional shared inventory slots, but have the bonus of your chars not needing to equip/unequip them all the time. How about it ArenaNet?

• Like 2

@Shikigami.4013 said:Always having to remember to put the tools back into the shared slots before logging a char off would bother me enough to not even consider buying the needed shared slots, or the needed tools (I only have one permanent tool for mining, which always stays on my main - no axe and no sickle).

If they would put a package of three "shared tool slots" (which currently don't exist) into the gemstore I would buy it, and a sickle, and an axe. These slots would only be able to hold tools and not act as additional shared inventory slots, but have the bonus of your chars not needing to equip/unequip them all the time. How about it ArenaNet?

I know sounds like hassle but once you get used to a new routine they are well worth having, if you harvest alot. i was very very sketchy about even getting that package of 3 unbreakables, but I'm glad I did. It freed up alot of inventory for me, about 6 slots I guess. Also i got tired of running out of them in mid harvest, wouldn't be so bad if it automatically equipped the back ups, but nope no such logic there lol. But like i said below that guy just use storage to manage them. Wont need toss for shared slots at all then. Isn't storage slots cheaper than shared anyways? I can't even remember to be honest.

A set of all three unbreakable tools is very much worth the hassle of transferring them when changing toons. (I just swap them in the bank in the PVP lobby.) Not only saving a bunch of bag space for each of your toons, you also never have to worry about having the wrong tool when changing zones. Needing different tiers of tools is so freaking tedious and a huge waste of space and gold.

• 2 years later...

Some folks put them into their shared inventory slots and swap them between characters. I'm different: I'm working on getting the tools for each of my characters. It's expensive, but then I don't have to swap implements out all the time.

NOTE: While I am buying infinite tools, I still use darksteel implements for the synthesizers in the guild hall and WvW. This is to optomize value (cloth above tier 4 is nearly worthless, as is metals above tier 4).

• 3 months later...

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Simplest way, requiring 3 Shared Inventory Slots:1) Put Unbreakable tools in Shared Slots.2) Equip each character with regular tools.3) When logging in to a character, open inventory and double-click the tools. This swaps so unbreakable are equipped while regular tools are in shared inventory.4) Before logging out that character, open inventory and double-click the regular tools to get the unbreakable back into shared inventory.

I was thinking about the "Shared Inv slots "+ "Unbreakable Gathering Tools" combo. I wondered for days how they should work together and thanks to @Tanner that confirmed my thoughts in theory.

Agreed with @Shikigami.4013 comments. The double clicking seem excessive and unnecessary, especially if you have many characters and are swooping between them multiple times a day. The manual swapping around is a turn off for players. @Anet if you are listening.... Perhaps some adjustments can be made.

UGT effects is also kinda ugly. So why don't it sells with infused "Glyphs" straight away. Or a Glyphs of choice token; I can imagine more sales already

I also presume the UGT gathers more? But how much more really, 20%? 30%?

@medivh.4725 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:Simplest way, requiring 3 Shared Inventory Slots:1) Put Unbreakable tools in Shared Slots.2) Equip each character with regular tools.3) When logging in to a character, open inventory and double-click the tools. This swaps so unbreakable are equipped while regular tools are in shared inventory.4) Before logging out that character, open inventory and double-click the regular tools to get the unbreakable back into shared inventory.

I was thinking about the "Shared Inv slots "+ "Unbreakable Gathering Tools" combo. I wondered for days how they should work together and thanks to @Tanner that confirmed my thoughts in theory.

ISSUE:The double clicking seem excessive and unnecessary, especially if you have many characters and are swooping between them multiple times a day.

Really? It literally takes less than 5 seconds. If you can't spare that time, then maybe purchase the tools for each character on your account and support the game that way.

@kharmin.7683 said:Really? It literally takes less than 5 seconds. If you can't spare that time, then maybe purchase the tools for each character on your account and support the game that way.

Maybe I would go for slots, however not for their UGTs, why? Too high a price too little a value. If the aim is to cut gamer's manual work, then UGT certainly not achieved on that. Or maybe I am just another lazy gamer, but I think I have a point there... ; )

@kharmin.7683 said:

ISSUE:The double clicking seem excessive and unnecessary, especially if you have many characters and are swooping between them multiple times a day.

Really? It literally takes less than 5 seconds. If you can't spare that time, then maybe purchase the tools for each character on your account and support the game that way.

Sometimes one forget so have to relog to uneuip so > 5 seconds.

Worst is one forget which toon has the unlimited gathering tool.

@kenny.7236 said:

Sometimes one forget so have to relog to uneuip so > 5 seconds.

Worst is one forget which toon has the unlimited gathering tool.

I don't see this as a problem that ANet needs to fix. /shrug