In the name of science, here are the finalist and semi-finalist team compositions from the last 6 mATs.
Now some caveats on these:
- I couldn't find a few of the team-compositions, in particular the first NA October mAT. If anyone has these, I'll merge them into the numbers.
- Because of this, the comparison between EU and NA is not "like for like". A "10" on NA is equivalent to a "12" on EU.
- It's important to understand the numbers in context. While 15 is a bigger number than 12, when it's out of a total of 205, the difference is meaningless.
- If it says "Thief" or "Mesmer", it means "Core". Elites are specified separately.
- mAT is not Ranked. It's a very different game, since you've got 5 people on voice-comms who have practiced together and specifically chosen their classes for a particular purpose as part of a 5-man team. In general, in this scenario it's better to be super-specialised for one purpose, rather than playing a self-sufficient, jack-of-all-trades which is often better for solo-Q in ranked, where you can't rely on your team-mates.
- For the finalists, I took the compositions they used in the final, not any earlier rounds.
- Remember that many of these will be the same players over and over in each tournament. It's not actually 205 different players counted here, its probably closer to 40.
So, some conclusions to draw from this:
- Firebrand and Herald most represented, not hugely surprising
- The FB numbers are waaaay higher in NA than in EU, especially when you look at the Duo numbers: 7 out of 18 NA teams were stacking FBs, while only 1 out of 23 EU teams did. FB is super-meta in NA, but is just one of the crowd in EU. You're 5x more likely to a face a double thief/DD in EU than you are a double FB, and nearly half of EU teams had no FB at all.
- EU in general has a much wider spread of class representation
- NA has a way bigger tendency to stack classes
- Mirage and Holosmith still both very well represented, despite whines to the contrary
- Thief/Daredevil and SpellB/Warrior are a big deal on EU, but are almost non-existent on NA. If you count Thief/DD/Deadeye together, it is by far the highest represented class on EU.
- Rangers(+Elites) and Necros(+Elites) are almost nowhere to be seen on either side.
- Weaver numbers are surprisingly low, despite how much attention they get from the community
It's interesting to me how different EU and NA are, especially how EU is all about Thief/Rev rotate-and-spike comps, while NA is all about spamming FBs, and how Thief/Warrior variants are big on EU but non-existent on NA.
This might also explain some differences in perception on the Forums about how strong certain comps are. Might it be the case that EU players are more concerned about how strong Thief is, and don't care about FB, while NA players are more concerned about how strong FB is and don't care about Thief?
It's certainly a different world from Ranked though. Ranger and Necro variants are a regular feature in my ranked games (P2/3) but just aren't represented here.
The full data breakdown: