raid recording software?

RodOfDeath.5247

• 2 weeks later...

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:thanks for the info again, I tried GEFORCE shadowplay and my computer nearly exploded unfortunately. It's more just to help my guild learn from fights overall. I'll give that OBS a shotLolwat... I have budget 1060 3gb and it handle shadowplay decently, even with continous recording on a 2gb ramdisk. And its on an ancient i5. What kind if card do you have to cause near explosions?

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:thanks for the info again, I tried GEFORCE shadowplay and my computer nearly exploded unfortunately. It's more just to help my guild learn from fights overall. I'll give that OBS a shotLolwat... I have budget 1060 3gb and it handle shadowplay decently, even with continous recording on a 2gb ramdisk. And its on an ancient i5. What kind if card do you have to cause near explosions?

Dude I don't know anything about computers lol Says i7 660M something something of the something something system.

Shadowplay doesn't use much processor power, it records direct from your GPU. You'll find performance worse with CPU driven recorders, and it may be a bad idea for your machine in general. If you really want to record for your guild, do some legwork and learn the basics about your machine.

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Dude I don't know anything about computers lol Says i7 660M something something of the something something system.Well thats a laptop. Then I understand. The GTX660M is about a third of the performance of a sub-budget GTX1050 (and the laptop i7 being less than a desktop i3 doesnt help). I didnt even know it was capable of shadowplay.

I use Game DVR that came built-in with Windows 10. (just disable the always-record feature. so it wont eat up your resource when not necessary)

I play GW2 on rMBP 2015. running normally 20-30 fps while not recording. And Game DVR not affect much of the game performance.

Laptops (especially this one old) have too weak CPU for real-time software encoding OBS-style. The only real shot for something that will not wreck your framerate is shadowplay. 660 supports that. Yes it will output big files with bad quality compared to its bitrate, but if you go to really high bitrates it becomes good enough to be usable.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@RodOfDeath.5247 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Dude I don't know anything about computers lol Says i7 660M something something of the something something system.Well thats a laptop. Then I understand. The GTX660M is about a third of the performance of a sub-budget GTX1050 (and the laptop i7 being less than a desktop i3 doesnt help). I didnt even know it was capable of shadowplay.

Ok makes sense, thanks again for giving advice to a clueless computer player :)

Sure it must record continuously for the whole raid, but then how to edit the massive video? Windows program.

Nothing is trivial, I have seen. So far I have only recorded digital TV in DVB format in GNU/Linux. The "best" program in GNU/Linux converted the original high quality DVB stream to very low quality DV format, garbage. Also, I converted the DVB to DVD using the best, but the disc almost broke my DVD player by wild stutter read, and video image shown was complete garbage.

@Pelto.9364 said:Sure it must record continuously for the whole raid, but then how to edit the massive video? Windows program.The latter part depend on how complicated you wanna get... Windows Movie Maker for example is free and good for really simple stuff (ie slap some music on, in/out effects and cutting video). I use it for my quick videos.

Regarding recording, the point of shadowplay is that you dont need continous recording in one huge go. You get a collection of files. You record back in time. Encounter an enemy guild, fight for 5 minutes and go "damn I forgot to record that! Oh wait...", hit record and get the last 5-10 minutes (time can be changed in settings). In postprod you just cut the time up until the action starts and stitch together multiple files.

As I mentioned, keep in mind that you want to run the temp location on a ramdisk or mechanical drive. Only need 2-4gb for a decent length at ok quality.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived