What would be the ideal Commander? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What would be the ideal Commander?

Let's say that there was a Guild Wars 2 The Movie, what would be the ideal race, status, story arc, pact and profession/specialization?

I would say, human, maybe Noble? Because you interact with Lord Farhen later in the story. Warrior, kinda like most heroes are in stories. Choose maybe either Balthazar or Kormir as god blessing. Dead sister, no helmet.

Comments

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020

Its hard to say, the idea of please all crowds making the hero very blank slate, created a big problem if one day they think about make a movie or something. a cheap "shotcut" will make a team-based history 1 of every race/any sort of variations(like gender) something like the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" or Power Rangers, but this will shorten a lot screening time for famous allied NPCs.

....or make a movie with Rytlock as main protagonist, lolz.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Abraxxus.8971Abraxxus.8971 Member ✭✭✭

There probably wouldn't be a commander. It would most likely follow a group composed of the main NPCs.

Bring back Ceara

• AzuraBlackcoin.1809AzuraBlackcoin.1809 Member ✭✭
    edited January 27, 2020

@Abraxxus.8971 said:
    There probably wouldn't be a commander. It would most likely follow a group composed of the main NPCs.

Good luck fitting Aurene into the story without her champion.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020

@AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:

@Abraxxus.8971 said:

Good luck fitting Aurene into the story without her champion.

Well, I mean... Caithe.

I'd probably agree with Abraxxus, because every storyline feels like the focus is on a different "race commander". PS, S2, and HoT felt more inclined towards sylvari. S3, PoF, and S4 felt more inclined towards human. S1 was rather mixed (more dependent on the release than the whole - but I can easily see a focus streamlined to norn/charr+human). While Icebrood Saga is inclined towards norn or charr.

If one were turn the plot of GW2 as close to 1:1 as feasible into a show or movie, I feel like we'd have 3 or 5 Commanders, one being "the chosen one" during each set of plots, but all three / five contributing the entire time.

I personally headcanon that there are three "original Pact Commander"s, one from each Order, who first met during Setting the Stage (tentatively) and got together at Claw Island when losing their mentor. Using ANet's trailers, two would be Anja and Duncan as "canon Commanders". And probably some unmentioned sylvari Commander.

All these squares make a circle.

• I would say Charr, because their military experience would be very important to lead the military operations. Charr is the only one PC that's a trained soldier. Human? Nah. Asura? Another scientist. Sylvari? Just woke up and don't know the world. Norn? Hunter, but for sure a fighter. Norn would be good too.
    Probably Ash, because Ash soldiers can fight, can infiltrate, manipulate and get useful information. They know how to kill an enemy and when to strike.
    Class: The commander would be a part of his squad where everyone is different and Dragon's Watch has a: revenant (Rytlock), mesmer (Kasmeer), necromancer (Marjory), engineer (Taimi), guardian (Braham), ranger (Rox). What's left is: warrior, thief, elementalist. Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe. I think this party needs a mage, so the commander would be an elementalist.
    For the story: obviously the commander should join the Whispers or Priory, because movie characters are mostly individuals.

I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

• @Antycypator.9874 said:
    Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe.

Canach definitely is as of Path of Fire. He even says that he'd join because he was getting bored.

I would also argue Caithe is also a member, just more focused on missions involving Aurene. Logan can be considered an honorary member, at the very least. Dragon's Watch in general seems to be "surviving Destiny's Edge members + the biconics".

Also, are we really sure Taimi's an engineer? I don't think she ever uses engineer skills - Scruffy does all the combat for her as far as we've seen. She's just a generic golemancer. Gorrik, who seems to have joined Dragon's Watch, does use Holomancer skills though.

Rox has also seemingly left Dragon's Watch as of the end of S4.

• @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Antycypator.9874 said:
    Cannah doesn't count because he's not a part of DW, same as Logan (Pact Marshal) and Caithe.

Canach definitely is as of Path of Fire. He even says that he'd join because he was getting bored.

Canach is not officially part of DW, he said he'd 'join us' as in hang out with us, not as an official member of the group. I asked about this last year because his growing presence since PoF had made me wonder as well. The answer was "it's complicated."

• AzuraBlackcoin.1809AzuraBlackcoin.1809 Member ✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020

I am also asking for what would make a good commander if I made a music video with gw2

• @foozlesprite.8051 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Antycypator.9874 said:

Canach is not officially part of DW, he said he'd 'join us' as in hang out with us, not as an official member of the group. I asked about this last year because his growing presence since PoF had made me wonder as well. The answer was "it's complicated."

Yes, that's why he literally never left the Commander and/or Rytlokc's side the entire time we've been in Elona.

I consider that, even if he doesn't want to admit it, as being part of the group.

• @AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:
    I am also asking for what would make a good commander if I made a music video with gw2

Including personality, life goals, etc?

• @TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

What?

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

Male Sylvari Warrior. Born during the Cycle of Noon. Vanquisher of the Green Knight. Believes that he must act with wisdom, but act.
    Reasons:
    Uncorruptable during Zhaitan's storyline and also have the most interactions with Trahearne.
    Tempered, Tested, and Overcame the Awakening and Fall of Mordremoth.
    Does not have any bias during the Path of FIre storyline.
    Caithe and Aurene's bond is "felt" more.
    Unaffected by Dhuum's rise.

Only Gripe:
    Why the hell are Sylvari (and other non-human races) could be affected by the Human Gods' realms? Sentient plants have souls now that will be judged by Grenth when they die? Really? It turned me off when I was at the Domain of the Lost. I ain't no god-worshiping human? You have no power over me!

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2020

@borgs.6103 said:
    Does not have any bias during the Path of FIre storyline.

I'd argue this is a con, not a pro.

Unaffected by Dhuum's rise.

Again, a con.

Only Gripe:
    Why the hell are Sylvari (and other non-human races) could be affected by the Human Gods' realms? Sentient plants have souls now that will be judged by Grenth when they die? Really? It turned me off when I was at the Domain of the Lost. I ain't no god-worshiping human? You have no power over me!

This is nothing new. The gods governed the afterlives of Tyria, and the Spirits of the Wild - at least - partially shared dominion over the souls of the dead. Both Raven and Grenth are tied to the Underworld. In GW1, the gods had ensured souls of charr touched by Abaddon ended up in the Realm of Torment, and we see souls of centaurs in the Realm of War.

Besides all that, the gods did not create the afterlives, they merely moved into them and made them more stable. And most races predate humanity and their gods' arrival on Tyria. It would make sense for them to go to those afterlives governed by the gods, given that they're Tyria's natural afterlives.

• @AzuraBlackcoin.1809 said:

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

What?

You're asking what a good commander would be. I'm asking if you're also interested in personality, life goals etc for such commander, or if you're only interested in race, profession, Order, etc.

• @TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

@TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

What?

You're asking what a good commander would be. I'm asking if you're also interested in personality, life goals etc for such commander, or if you're only interested in race, profession, Order, etc.

Sure, I did say that in the first place