Preload Option for Guild Wars?

Digger.8659

For those that don't know, basically a preload option allows future updates to be downloaded in advance. This would be helpful to player whose internet connections are kitten, or players who cannot log in to update the game when the content hits. I think this would be a good addition to Guild Wars and help out some of the player base.

@Friday.7864 said:Sometimes they are literally working on updates until the last minute before release.Ironing out bugs and such, so you can't really do preloading in an MMO.

I'd be happy if I could get the graphics updates pre loaded in with game updates, or whatever it is that makes loading into updated or new zones take forever to port into on your first time in after an update. It's really frustrating to be looking at a loading screen for a full 2-5 minutes.

I think they have done something like this for the expansions - they started adding some files to the game with other updates ahead of release so the final update on release day wasn't huge (I don't remember exactly but I don't think it took much longer than a normal living world update).

They also 'front load' essential files so you can start playing before the download has fully completed. I forgot about this because normally with an update I just let it run before logging in (on my internet connection it's relatively quick) but I recently got a new hard drive and decided to re-download the game rather than copying it across. I think I was able to start playing when it got to about 30% complete, although the first time I logged into a character it took longer than normal because it had to download the files for the map they were in.

When you're downloading updates there's a mark on the progress bar which says "Playable" and once it's past that point you'll be able to log in and play while it continues downloading in the background.

@Kitty La Boom Boom.4065 said:

@Friday.7864 said:Sometimes they are literally working on updates until the last minute before release.Ironing out bugs and such, so you can't really do preloading in an MMO.

I'd be happy if I could get the graphics updates pre loaded in with game updates, or whatever it is that makes loading into updated or new zones take forever to port into on your first time in after an update. It's really frustrating to be looking at a loading screen for a full 2-5 minutes.

Never had that happen, and it's not supposed to. Even on potato PCs I didn't get a 1 minute + loading screen.There must be something you can do to speed that up for sure, clearing some cache or upgrading to an SSD if you don't have one already.

@Friday.7864 said:

Never had that happen, and it's not supposed to. Even on potato PCs I didn't get a 1 minute + loading screen.There must be something you can do to speed that up for sure, clearing some cache or upgrading to an SSD if you don't have one already.

Maybe Kitty La Boom Boom.4065 is useing the dx12 mod for guildwars 2 it make you preload everything on the map before you enter I belive.