Ice shard value decrease — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Ice shard value decrease

I get that you increased drop rates, but still it would be nice to announce that you will increase the price of every item, because now every single ice shard earned before the patch has 1/3 of it's value, which is really really not cool imo... I was stacking them up to convert at once to ls4 currencies, now they are worth 1/3... little things like these will make me slowly and slowly stop playing the game... when the company just doesn't respect your time at all..

<1

Comments

• Virdo.1540Virdo.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

come on ^^ its not like they are that hard to get. If 3x more are needed, whatever
    No worth is still no worth

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

They were already among the easiest to earn map currencies so increasing droprates had to come with an increase in prices.

I rather choose death.

• @Blocki.4931 said:
    They were already among the easiest to earn map currencies so increasing droprates had to come with an increase in prices.

yes, its fine to increase prices with increased drop, but they should let us know in advance so we couldve spended the ones we got BEFORE the increased drop rates on the old prices...

• This really shouldn't have been done. I understand they did it to try and push people back into LS4 to grind those currencies there, but really they missed the mark badly.
    They're probably reviewing things on the reception though, so it's possible they'll revert it?

• @Jura.2170 said:

@KingJoko.1625 said:
    things like these will make me slowly and slowly stop playing the game... when the company just doesn't respect your time at all..

I feel the same way too

Ppl spent lots of time getting them, and now they cant buy much at all

Bad things like this will make ppl want to play less or stop playing

Yep.. and I just found out you need to have the T2 boreal weapons to craft t3... very close to press that uninstall button

• @Geoff Fey.1035 said:
    This really shouldn't have been done. I understand they did it to try and push people back into LS4 to grind those currencies there, but really they missed the mark badly.
    They're probably reviewing things on the reception though, so it's possible they'll revert it?

I hope so..

• Tman.6349Tman.6349 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020

That's just dirty. I was trading them for kralk trying to catch up for astral/stellar (which are already a pain for someone who played PvP instead of w/e istan farm) and had saved mine the last week and a half thinking I'd have a tiny headstart for new episode. I get they're easy to get but this just sucks. Couldn't give a heads up? Only 13000 kralk to go so no big deal I guess... :(

• @Tman.6349 said:
    That's just dirty. I was trading them for kralk trying to catch up for astral/stellar (which are already a pain for someone who played PvP instead of w/e istan farm) and had saved mine the last week and a half thinking I'd have a tiny headstart for new episode. I get they're easy to get but this just sucks. Couldn't give a heads up? Only 13000 kralk to go so no big deal I guess... :(

Same, I wanted to keep them in case new stuff from this ep needed it, and after that I wouldve used them on ls4 ones but.... yikes

@KingJoko.1625 said:

@Tman.6349 said:

Same, I wanted to keep them in case new stuff from this ep needed it, and after that I wouldve used them on ls4 ones but.... yikes

Yeah, it's pretty rotten. The 'whoops, you salvaged your Restored Boreal' is a k8ck in the sack for a lot of people too it's looking like. Tbf, most of the LWs4 currencies are fairly reasonable imo considering how many you can reasonably acquire vs how many you need, with the exception of the COMPLETELY OUT OF LINE kralkatite ore. 16000! You get 1 (yes ONE) from each sunspear cashe and limit of one meta a day. Other than that you're farming meteors on a dead map with maybe one other person if you're lucky. That 200ish per day conversion was HUGE! That's like 4 hours of farming stupid meteors in one of the least interesting maps. Sorry for being sour but the 50 ectos for an exotic weapon already left a bit of a bad taste...this definitely makes a very frustrating set even worse. I'll let it go and just forget about it. Just seems super out of touch imo.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020

You know if you read patch notes you would spot these things.
    Its added today as a late note but still out before your post.

As frosty corruption spreads across the Bjora Marches, both the drop rates and vendor costs for Eternal Ice Shards have increased.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/96243/game-update-notes-january-28-2020#latest

Edit
    Oh what weapon can you reskin to fishing rod, sword?

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020

@Linken.6345 said:

As frosty corruption spreads across the Bjora Marches, both the drop rates and vendor costs for Eternal Ice Shards have increased.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/96243/game-update-notes-january-28-2020#latest

Still it doesn't justify it. And well it's a late note as you say. I only check original ones. But note they aren't explicitly saying increased by how much.
    I would have preferred two different currencies. I guess if doesn't shock you well... Anet will continue to nerf rewards after that. Because nobody says nothing.

@Linken.6345 said:

The fishing rod is a staff.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

@hugo.4705 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

Still it doesn't justify it. And well it's a late note as you say. I only check original ones. But note they aren't explicitly saying increased by how much.
    I would have preferred two different currencies. I guess if doesn't shock you well... Anet will continue to nerf rewards after that. Because nobody says nothing.

@Linken.6345 said:

The fishing rod is a staff.

Aint that late note added like 20 mins before the update hit tho so plenty of time to notice it?

• what exactly is the problem? so they changed the conversion rate. No big deal. Just go to the maps or farm your home instance.

Did they tripple the yield from home instance node aswell?

Don't mean to 'derail' the thread, but the apathy makes me think people won't care so I'll point out there's been a 'fishing rod' skinned weapon in the game for, I think, about 5 years called the Improvised Longbow. I haven't seen the staff so it's probably not as completely epic as this new thing. Can you actually fish with the staff skin?

edited January 28, 2020

Oops nvm. Character

Dident know about that one, why would the pact even have fishing rods with them to the jungle to make them into longbows is beyond my understanding tho

• Maybe its far fetched but somehow i think they are trying to make people to buy mat storage/inventory expanders...

• Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭

why cant we add them to our inventory payment so we can safe inventory slots then ?!

• Jayden Reese.9542Jayden Reese.9542 Member ✭✭✭✭

yeah so u get so many. drakk gave like 150 theres double the amount of chests these koda event give like 48. in 5 days if you play this map ul have more the chiles

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yea..ive played for 30 minutes and ive gotten 200 just from events and such, the drop rate is really high now.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dante.1763 said:
    Yea..ive played for 30 minutes and ive gotten 200 just from events and such, the drop rate is really high now.

That's not the issue. The issues is the 2/3 of time Anet invalidated for people who were already farming them. Say someone spent 9 hours farming them, Anet just took 6 of those hours and went "meh" and threw them in the trash.

Depression and anxiety are the worst...

• Sanity Obscure.6054Sanity Obscure.6054 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020

There really isn't much of a difference considering how quickly you can obtain them.

I don't see an issue for people who hoarded them previously. They got what they needed with them, and they can still get more. Even if Anet completely redacted the ability to trade them in for PAST season currencies, it shouldn't really be an issue. Be grateful they allowed it at all, as it's not really necessary to the current season.

• Hashberry.4510Hashberry.4510 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ehh a guildy got 3 stacks in few hours tonight.

• @KingJoko.1625 said:
    I get that you increased drop rates, but still it would be nice to announce that you will increase the price of every item, because now every single ice shard earned before the patch has 1/3 of it's value, which is really really not cool imo... I was stacking them up to convert at once to ls4 currencies, now they are worth 1/3... little things like these will make me slowly and slowly stop playing the game... when the company just doesn't respect your time at all..

Another moment when ANet takes something from the players (in this case it is the time - until yesterday the shards gathered in X time had a value of Y LS4 currency. Now the same amount of shards has a value of Y/3). It seems that this is the norm today. I wonder not if but when ANet will remove 2/3 from the gold every player has and announcing us that they increased the amount of gold dropped from events from 1s 19c to 1s 47c !

@Blocki.4931 said:

So, they increased the droprate in order to be able to increase the prices? If this is an even exchange, then what is the point? What is the point of increased droprate to one of the easiest currency? Are you sure you can find an honest reason for this? Is this a real "honest" exchange?

Something crazy is bothering me now, after this "honest" exchange: Taking into account the following:
    1. The shards are used to acquire LS4 currency.
    2. The players expect a legendary trinket at the end of this Saga.
    3. The Legendary trinkets needed a lot of LS currency.
    4. This is not a LS (as per devs. statements). This is a Saga.

THEN - the conclusion bothering me: It may be very possible that the Legendary Trinket from this Saga to require a lot of LS4 currency! :#

• there was no need to nerf these items so much. As a second part of Bjora arrived, I believe that the right thing would be to double the amount of items needed to make the exchange at the npc. Therefore, it would only take 50 eternal ices to get 10 ls4 ores. 75 eternal ices in exchange for 10 ores I think it’s absurd. As a matter of fact, I don't even know exactly what is the use of eternal ice, decoration for guild hall? Tonicos? Ugly weapon skins? The only use I saw was to exchange the eternal ice for the ls4.

• Ghetx.1752Ghetx.1752 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020

@Virdo.1540 said:
    come on ^^ its not like they are that hard to get. If 3x more are needed, whatever
    No worth is still no worth

And farming Ice Shards was what kept people playing map,not non rewarding meta for sure.

I know i wont be entering map nor im gonna finish new story chapter,like ever.

Consider it boycott,it wont impact things in any way,but its personal matter of principle.

Im not one of those to dislike things every time he gets the chance,but secretly enjoying exact same thing he's flaming.

I bought full story every single chapter few days ago,but last night after seeing they were serious about strange direction story goes,i will ask for refund and i will never participate in any story they release,until they sit down and think good about what they want in their game and until they start doing proper changes.

Eh yes...dialogue skip doesn't exist to this day,if you completed story on one character already.

I'm actually surprised unlocked skins are account wide,not character bound.

• @Sanity Obscure.6054 said:
    There really isn't much of a difference considering how quickly you can obtain them.

I don't see an issue for people who hoarded them previously. They got what they needed with them, and they can still get more. Even if Anet completely redacted the ability to trade them in for PAST season currencies, it shouldn't really be an issue. Be grateful they allowed it at all, as it's not really necessary to the current season.

There is a difference. I was farming them on the OLD DROP RATE to convert to ls4 currency after this episode, now all that farming seems pointless....

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don'tknow what to spend them on exactly, I haven't bothered to look into that, but if we have many more items that require them it would make sense to increase the drops too. We also don't know what is yet to come that might need a bunch of them.

I rather choose death.

• @Hashberry.4510 said:
    Ehh a guildy got 3 stacks in few hours tonight.

Imagine if Anet suddenly do the same thing to ice shards again without notice. Those 3 stacks is now worth 1 stack. I wouldn't be surprise if they do it again next ep. Everyone would then need 9x the space.

• @Blocki.4931 said:
    I don'tknow what to spend them on exactly, I haven't bothered to look into that, but if we have many more items that require them it would make sense to increase the drops too. We also don't know what is yet to come that might need a bunch of them.

So if the third ep comes out with even more items, you think they should increase the drop rates even more and increase the vendor prices again?

• since the ways to get them increased, their value had to be reduced. It is really that simple. Economy 101.

There is no need for an outrage.

• @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    since the ways to get them increased, their value had to be reduced. It is really that simple. Economy 101.

So you get 3 times as many in the same time now. I dont believe that. That you can get them at more places ok, but that doesnt equal you get 3 times in the same time as before. You still have to spend 3 times as much time for the same. At first glance it looks like a tripled timesink.

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    since the ways to get them increased, their value had to be reduced. It is really that simple. Economy 101.

It's not about current rates but what this means to people who spent a lot of time farming them already. Imagine you spent a lot of time farming gold in anticipation for a new legendary. You got 3000g saved! Then, in the same patch they release the legendary they triple the prices of all the mats BUT they also triple gold income. You spent all that time gathering 3k gold and your time had just been devalued by 1/3 basically turning your 3k gold into 1k gold, but you still spent 3k gold amount of time earning it.

• @Bolbo Baggins.8594 said:

So you get 3 times as many in the same time now. I dont believe that. That you can get them at more places ok, but that doesnt equal you get 3 times in the same time as before. You still have to spend 3 times as much time for the same. At first glance it looks like a tripled timesink.

Sorry, i missed the information that the drop rates where increased, ignore my post ;) Somehow i cant delete my post.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

It's not about current rates but what this means to people who spent a lot of time farming them already. Imagine you spent a lot of time farming gold in anticipation for a new legendary. You got 3000g saved! Then, in the same patch they release the legendary they triple the prices of all the mats BUT they also triple gold income. You spent all that time gathering 3k gold and your time had just been devalued by 1/3 basically turning your 3k gold into 1k gold, but you still spent 3k gold amount of time earning it.

Yeah but at the exact same time they doubled the gold drop rate and added 15 more chests full of gold and 25 more gold nodes and more events that dropped gold. You can get shards at 4 times the rate easy now so it's at the point where your complaining just to complain and not any logic except I saved these up when I wish I spent those before the change no one knew about. It's like someone crying their 500 snow truffle buy order got filled after the 5 nodes were added and value dropped to 1/4. They adjust stuff all the time.

And if you really gonna sit here and say that logging into a map and looting the 9 chests in 9 min is work for well over 150 prior to the change was work and all the free amulets I salvaged and l4 mats exchanged for sets of gear for achieves I never would of farmed those maps for. Like really they had to make this change with the amount out there now or skyscale be done by a new person solely from bjora

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Yeah but at the exact same time they doubled the gold drop rate and added 15 more chests full of gold and 25 more gold nodes and more events that dropped gold. You can get shards at 4 times the rate easy now so it's at the point where your complaining just to complain and not any logic except I saved these up when I wish I spent those before the change no one knew about. It's like someone crying their 500 snow truffle buy order got filled after the 5 nodes were added and value dropped to 1/4. They adjust stuff all the time.

It's not complaining just to complain? Your most valuable asset in life is time. This change throws away 2/3rd's of people's time spent on this and forces them to spend even MORE time to get back to equal value to what they had before. This is perfectly fair to be frustrated about. The difference in your example is that this isn't economic response to some changes around the market. It's an intentional hard coded change made by anet specifically to devalue the currency (people's time) who had spent time farming it before hand so they wouldn't be "stocked up" when the new episode dropped. It's one way to deal with having the same currency across two episodes like this but doesn't feel right from a player and gameplay perspective.

• Moradorin.6217Moradorin.6217 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020

@KingJoko.1625 said:

what exactly is the problem? so they changed the conversion rate. No big deal. Just go to the maps or farm your home instance.

^ This attitude from players with fully stocked home and more loot than they will ever use is why new and returning players often feel like the game isnt for them. Because people lack empathy and assume everyone has a ton of gold and resources, but many are still working on that stuff.

Granted as many say they arent that hard to get, etc, etc. That perspective seems to totally miss the OPs point which is a very valid one.That point being, players end up feeling ripped off and kinda betrayed in a sense when changes like these come without warning.

For instance, I recall back in LW4 that Rose Quartz has a min merchant value of 50s each and was tradable. People has farmed the hell out of it. Some had been buying them speculating correctly that they are a limited material trading at near its merchant price which IS typically a good investment. However, overnight Anet removed the merchant value of Rose Quarts and the value went down by 80% overnight. So much for a safe investment due to min. NPC merchant value of item u invested in. This issue is very very similar but wasnt announced at all to players in advance. So naturally anyone who made the choice to be make good choices and farm the most efficient currency to convert like the OPs seems to have is then punished for making what was actually a good choice since they couldn't have known Anet would pull the rug out from under them. In that sense, it seems totally out of line to respond to this with well its easy to farm so who cares you just lost 66% of your product from your in game efforts. TBH it sounds insulting. These ARE exactly the type of things that make people sick and tired of playing due to feelings of wasted time and effort after the fact due to things beyond the players control. Therefor, I feel it is much more productive to see it for what it is nd to give a little empathy for what is a real issue and not a one time thing either.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

It's not complaining just to complain? Your most valuable asset in life is time. This change throws away 2/3rd's of people's time spent on this and forces them to spend even MORE time to get back to equal value to what they had before. This is perfectly fair to be frustrated about. The difference in your example is that this isn't economic response to some changes around the market. It's an intentional hard coded change made by anet specifically to devalue the currency (people's time) who had spent time farming it before hand so they wouldn't be "stocked up" when the new episode dropped. It's one way to deal with having the same currency across two episodes like this but doesn't feel right from a player and gameplay perspective.

Sorry no, it is so easy to get them before and now no one farmed them we got them handed to us. Like I said above it was 150 a day logging into a completed meta opening chests and you act like you farmed them. You could of sat 20 alts in the 3 node room for another 10 per alt per day. Needing the t2 weapon for t3 I get cause that's 150 gold to replace this when they are everywhere from everything is def complaining just to complain

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Sorry no, it is so easy to get them before and now no one farmed them we got them handed to us. Like I said above it was 150 a day logging into a completed meta opening chests and you act like you farmed them. You could of sat 20 alts in the 3 node room for another 10 per alt per day. Needing the t2 weapon for t3 I get cause that's 150 gold to replace this when they are everywhere from everything is def complaining just to complain

Where are you getting your facts that no one farmed them? Just because they were plentiful people were not farming them? I doubt that. I think you're deliberately avoiding the point though because "you're fine with it so everyone else should be". I'm done talking about this with you.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:

@Zexanima.7851 said:

Where are you getting your facts that no one farmed them? Just because they were plentiful people were not farming them? I doubt that. I think you're deliberately avoiding the point though because "you're fine with it so everyone else should be". I'm done talking about this with you.

The same place your facts that everyone farmed them I guess. No I have 1500 storage and that filled up every week or so is where I'm getting that from and kept buying 10 amulets to salvage or ls4 mats. It was insanely easy and even more so now if I do drakkar and loot all chests once a day I bet every 3 days my 1500 be maxed. These are more available then the kitten chiles which I got like 7,000 hoping for consume. Stuff that passively is handed to you with little or no effort is not farming

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    The same place your facts that everyone farmed them I guess. No I have 1500 storage and that filled up every week or so is where I'm getting that from and kept buying 10 amulets to salvage or ls4 mats. It was insanely easy and even more so now if I do drakkar and loot all chests once a day I bet every 3 days my 1500 be maxed.

So? That 1500 now is worth the same as 500 before. You're actually farming now at the same rate as before, you just don't see it, because you got blinded by the current huge numbers.
    And you still don;t understand the core issue. Anet took 2/3 of ice shards people had. Yes, they can farm it again, but that would stil be farming for something thay already had, but was taken away.
    And notice that how fast one would be able to farm that back is dependant not only on your personal farming speed, but mainly on how much you've had stockpiled - people that were spending their shards immediately didn;t lose anything, but those that stockpiled them could potentially lose a ton of time.

It is not right for Anet to take away from you something you have already earned, if you earned it legitimately. No matter what it is.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:
    The same place your facts that everyone farmed them I guess. No I have 1500 storage and that filled up every week or so is where I'm getting that from and kept buying 10 amulets to salvage or ls4 mats. It was insanely easy and even more so now if I do drakkar and loot all chests once a day I bet every 3 days my 1500 be maxed.

So? That 1500 now is worth the same as 500 before. You're actually farming now at the same rate as before, you just don't see it, because you got blinded by the current huge numbers.
    And you still don;t understand the core issue. Anet took 2/3 of ice shards people had. Yes, they can farm it again, but that would stil be farming for something thay already had, but was taken away.
    And notice that how fast one would be able to farm that back is dependant not only on your personal farming speed, but mainly on how much you've had stockpiled - people that were spending their shards immediately didn;t lose anything, but those that stockpiled them could potentially lose a ton of time.

It is not nice for Anet to take away from you something you have already earned, if you earned it legitimately. No matter what it is.

I'm not farming. I'm only opening chests or killing one boss and gets 1000's. That's if I do nothing but that. If I do strikes or events or hit nodes it is ridiculous to complain about. It's like you aren't even playing and see this nonsense and how many you get.They didn't take anything. It only affected someone who wanted to buy amulets or ls4 currency but didn't spend cause hey I might need um for new stuff and are mad they didn't spend um. And yeah you need what 2400 for new recipes so you were right to save them but now you see how easy they are and go but but I could've used those and get 2400 so easy now anet so mean. The core issue is chronic complainers