Go for the Gold Achievement Trouble

The achievement where you find the lost golden coins in the Silverwastes seems to be bugged or glitched or something, for me. I figured I'd ask here before sending a possibly wrong ticket, however.

I spent around five hours today going in circles in the Silverwastes. I followed Dulfy's guide and went to all of the locations for the coins. I'm missing #18, even after going to every single last location listed several times each.

What am I missing or doing wrong? Should I send a bug report about this?

Please Note: I know that the in-game numbers do not match up with Dulfy's guide. I have gone to all locations several times and this coin remains missing in my achievement.

Thank you for the link to the conversion table, but I must apologize since I didn't mention earlier that I did indeed follow that to try to get the last one as well. The one I'm missing, no matter the source used, is not the one I'm trying to get. The wiki number, I got just fine. The conversion number I had gotten just fine. I also got the normal number listed by Dulfy just fine. Thus the reason I made this thread to begin with- I can't find 18 no matter where or how I search.

The coin numbers in the Dulfy guide for Going for the Gold do NOT line up with the numbers in the achievement. This is because the achievement originally did not number the coins, so Dulfy's guide was just going from coin to coin, and adding numbers for conveniences. When the achievement was updated to show which coins you had already done, the numbering was pretty random. Dulfy has not rewritten her guide to match the numbers, and since it is older content, probably won't for a long time.

@CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617 said:The coin numbers in the Dulfy guide for Going for the Gold do NOT line up with the numbers in the achievement. This is because the achievement originally did not number the coins, so Dulfy's guide was just going from coin to coin, and adding numbers for conveniences. When the achievement was updated to show which coins you had already done, the numbering was pretty random. Dulfy has not rewritten her guide to match the numbers, and since it is older content, probably won't for a long time.

It appears that you did not read any of what has been said, including the very first post. I know that the numbers do not line up between Dulfy's guide and the game. As I stated, however, I went to every single last location several times. I did not follow guides for just the one coin, I followed the guides, video guides included, for every single last one of the coins. Due to not finding one of the coins, even after going to every single last location for every single last coin, I made this thread/discussion. In the future, please pay attention instead of skimming or assuming before replying, as your comment was entirely unhelpful.

@SunsetGuardian.5921 could you show a screenshot of where you are trying to find #18? Maybe we can help you find it if we knew where you were looking.

According to the wiki,

From milestone 6 fall all the way down to the very bottom. There is a little cave there on the bottom floor with the badge. This can be made safer using gliding.

There are other ways to reach that spot, although none that I think are that easy to explain :(

Off-topic to the OP's primary concern. I just wanted to be sure to clarify what we know about the guide(s).

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:It's entirely possible that Dulfy's guide is outdated. I think she'd appreciate a comment about that on her guide so that she can go through the process to fix it.

Dulfy's guide is misnumbered and despite comments on her talk page and discussions on reddit and the old forums and these forums, she hasn't updated it. (I understand not wanting to update the video guide.) The wiki also doesn't want to include a conversion system on the relevant article pages (for reasons already discussed in other threads and on the wiki itself).

Her guide is outdated only that it was written prior to gliding and mounts, so there are much, much easier ways to reach the coins now. I wouldn't expect her to update for that, since she already has plenty to do keeping up with more recent content.

The wiki's sparser guide (really, just a map and a rough hint) is reasonably current and keeps getting updated as people figure out better ways to reach coins (or explain how to do it).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:@SunsetGuardian.5921 could you show a screenshot of where you are trying to find #18? Maybe we can help you find it if we knew where you were looking.

According to the wiki,

From milestone 6 fall all the way down to the very bottom. There is a little cave there on the bottom floor with the badge. This can be made safer using gliding.

There are other ways to reach that spot, although none that I think are that easy to explain :(

Again I have to say this... I cannot show a screenshot, due to that meaning I would have to take a screenshot of every single last coin location. I have been to all of them. Each and every last one. The coin is missing.

Updated the first post to emphasis this in the hopes that all of you will not skip this fact.

@SunsetGuardian.5921 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:@SunsetGuardian.5921 could you show a screenshot of where you are trying to find #18? Maybe we can help you find it if we knew where you were looking.

According to the wiki,

Again I have to say this... I cannot show a screenshot, due to that meaning I would have to take a screenshot of every single last coin location. I have been to all of them. Each and every last one. The coin is missing.

Updated the first post to emphasis this in the hopes that all of you will not skip this fact.

I am not asking you for a screen shot of anything more than a single location. The wiki specifies the location for #18, the one you say you are missing. I am asking you to:

• go to milestone #6
  • drop down to the bottom (with the 1-copper skritt buff for the rez, if you can't glide or mount safely down)
  • head towards where you think the cave is
  • take a screenshot there.

One screenshot, in one location, where the wiki says to look for #18.

I really would like for you to be able to put this one to bed with the least amount of effort on your part. Which is why I'm asking you to triple (quintuple?) check the obvious — that has ultimately resolved the problem for, well, everyone that I've helped in the past. (It might not do the trick for you, of course; I'm just being glass-half-full about it.)

@SunsetGuardian.5921 said:The useless screenshot that you've asked for: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/8Xenek8/gw052_zpses2e9frp.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. That is indeed near ANet's #18 and Dulfy's #21.However, you are just outside the area where the cave is. Is it possible you just don't see the coin because of your angle?

Here's Dulfy's image of the location:http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/gw2-golden-badge-guide-72.jpg

And I'm sure you've checked and double checked that the missing "Go For the Gold" coin is #18 and not #21. But could you check one last time (and ideally take a screenshot of the chieve page, too, just to be sure).

The reason I've asked for screenies is that I've helped about 6-8 people with this (or the sister scavenger achievements in SW/DT) and in every single case, it turned out the person kept looking for #X, but really needed #Y. Most of the time, it was reversing the Dulfy↔ANet numbering system, but a few times it was more a combination of spending a ton of time while frustrated on the last 2-3 and misremembering which of the kormir-forsaken little buggers was still missing. The mismatch only was "discovered" when taking the screenshot; it never happened when people were just confirming verbally that they had checked and rechecked.

That is, it seems to be easy to be in the wrong place for the last, despite having been super careful to avoid exactly that. (That happened even more often before ANet added numbers for them, since it was very hard to figure out which ones you were missing.)

Regardless, I hope either this works or catalyzes a new idea for you that you can follow-through to checking this one off your list.

Look, the reason I called it a useless screenshot was because, if you read anything else I've said in this thread, I already got that coin. I went to it, it was there, I clicked on it, and a different number entirely was checked off. I also got #21 with no problems whatsoever. Thus the question in my very first post of should I send a report of this as a bug.

I took a screenshot just to prove that #18 is the one missing - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/8Xenek8/Achieve_zps3myd00st.jpg

Yes, send in a support ticket to get help (less important for you to report it as a bug).

@SunsetGuardian.5921 said:Look, the reason I called it a useless screenshot was because, if you read anything else I've said in this thread, I already got that coin. I went to it, it was there, I clicked on it, and a different number entirely was checked off. I also got #21 with no problems whatsoever. Thus the question in my very first post of should I send a report of this as a bug.

I took a screenshot just to prove that #18 is the one missing - http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k101/8Xenek8/Achieve_zps3myd00st.jpg

I read everything you said and it's pretty close to the same thing other people have said when they were having trouble: "I got that one before" or "I went to #x five times but it never triggers." And in every case prior to yours, it turned out that they hadn't gotten that one or that they were at the wrong spot, sometimes just around the corner, sometimes at Dulfy's #x, instead of ANet's.

So I'm sorry to put you to extra trouble when I know you've double-checked. As I said before, I'm hoping that either this works or the act of taking screens and revisiting the spot gives you another idea.

In this situation, I think you are left with three alternatives:

• File a Support ticket so they can see if they can take a peek at the innards to see why it's not appearing.
  • Return to #18 on another toon (that hasn't done any of them, if possible), in case it's just a visual glitch.
  • Repair your client (instructions in the knowledge base), for similar reasons

(You can do all three at the same time.)

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Off-topic to the OP's primary concern. I just wanted to be sure to clarify what we know about the guide(s).

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:It's entirely possible that Dulfy's guide is outdated. I think she'd appreciate a comment about that on her guide so that she can go through the process to fix it.

Dulfy's guide is misnumbered and despite comments on her talk page and discussions on reddit and the old forums and these forums, she hasn't updated it. (I understand not wanting to update the video guide.) The wiki also doesn't want to include a conversion system on the relevant article pages (for reasons already discussed in other threads and on the wiki itself).

Her guide is outdated only that it was written prior to gliding and mounts, so there are much, much easier ways to reach the coins now. I wouldn't expect her to update for that, since she already has plenty to do keeping up with more recent content.

The wiki's sparser guide (really, just a map and a rough hint) is reasonably current and keeps getting updated as people figure out better ways to reach coins (or explain how to do it).

I KNOW that the guide isn't numbered exactly like the numbers in the achievement. If you'd bothered to scroll down further, you would have seen this:

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:Then she may need to make a second update for the missing coin (and I was already aware of the conversion table, which was how I completed the Lost Badges acheivement).

Please don't treat me as if I'm 5. Thanks.

@"DebraKadabra.5278"Yes, I realize you know that Dulfy's guide isn't numbered as it is in the game. My point was that her guide was written long before ANet had a numbering system for the coins and predates mounts and gliding. And that, despite that, it's still a useful guide and not "outdated" as such. And further, my point was despite the changes to the game and comments on her site, she hasn't shown much willingness to update old guides (not just the coin scavenger hunts).

In other words, the comment wasn't questioning your familiarity with the numbering system. It was made so that others who aren't aware would have some context for understanding why Dulfy's guides — the gold standard for the GW2 community — are an issue in this case.

I'm not sure why you took offense when the topic was Dulfy's guide, not you.

Archived