DPS Meter Question

notebene.3190

I thought there was a DPS Meter out there that worked on an 'opt in' basis, where it could only basically give a break down of how well you did, to someone else, if you had this same meter installed, and they somehow shared information?

I was at a world boss today, and someone gave a 'break down' of the top 3 people and their DPS against the boss after the fight. Were they just...making a joke (weird joke?), or is there now a DPS meter out there that let's other people see what you are doing even 'without' you using any sort of compatible software?

If it's allowed, there isn't anything I can do about it, and my feelings about it are, evidently, moot. I was just curious as to whether something like that now existed.

@notebene.3190 said:I thought there was a DPS Meter out there that worked on an 'opt in' basis, where it could only basically give a break down of how well you did, to someone else, if you had this same meter installed, and they somehow shared information?

There was, It was BGDM, This DPS-meter is however no longer updated, and therefore not used anymore.

Today people generally use arcdps (https://www.deltaconnected.com/arcdps/). This is a DPS-meter aproved and tested by anet (but not an ANET product, and ANET support can NOT help you if a bug aper with your arcdps). This DPS-meter can show the dps (and boon share etc) from any player in your party/squad.

This makes it super usefull in test and in raids. Anywhere else it is kinda worthless.

Another (and new) thing about arcdps is that it now have a template funktion, again aproved by ANET.

@notebene.3190 said:there isn't anything I can do about it, and my feelings about it are, evidently, moot.

Well, there is something that just happened recently after ANet introduced the new forums, which makes me hope it could lead to abandon tools like this again in near future: The removal of the "thumbs down"-button. In the early days of the new forums this was a part of the reaction-system. ANet removed it because it added no value to the community and it also was easily abusable by a certain type of people.

The dps meter tool fulfills the same purposes, though hidden ingame and not as visible to public reception like the "thumbs down"-button. It added a "reasonable reason" to kick people, it made the action of kicking itself "valid" no matter whether it's good or bad. "Why kick? - Because tool. Numbers don't lie. No need to argue about it anymore." It adds nothing to the community other than an automated ingame-thumbs-down-ranking-system.

If the removal of the "thumbs down"-button reflects the overall moral attitude of ANet regarding their care for the community, then it is just a matter of time until the dps tool will be removed or at least be tweaked to track its users numbers only without bothering other players who do not use it.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'm wondering what was your issue with someone pointing out the top 3 players in dps during that world boss fight? Did it make you feel bad for not being on top or something?

It's more a case of privacy. No player should be able to monitor my account unless I agree to this.

It's not like can do anything with it, especially in a world boss fight

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'm wondering what was your issue with someone pointing out the top 3 players in dps during that world boss fight? Did it make you feel bad for not being on top or something?

It's more a case of privacy. No player should be able to monitor my account unless I agree to this.

And yet it should be my decision if you can spy on me. I have no control over you using 3rd party hacks that anet allow to use now but you can monitor me any time you want. Doesn't seem fair.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

They are not monitoring your account, they monitor packets that have your dps in them. Nothing else is showed.

@Bakeneko.5826 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

They are not monitoring your account, they monitor packets that have your dps in them. Nothing else is showed.

And I don't want other players to watch me. This is not in game function, this is 3rd party hack tool. Why should you be allowed to spy on me without my consent?

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

And yet it should be my decision if you can spy on me. I have no control over you using 3rd party hacks that anet allow to use now but you can monitor me any time you want. Doesn't seem fair.

It's not spying though especially for damage. Both how much damage the mob takes is publicly visible and so is condition application and CC. Mob health isn't your own private data so there is nothing to "spy" here. Knowing the gear and build of someone is spying, knowing how much damage they are doing is visible on the mob itself, a dps meter can easily read how much damage is done on the mob, that's public data.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

It's not spying though especially for damage. Both how much damage the mob takes is publicly visible and so is condition application and CC. Mob health isn't your own private data so there is nothing to "spy" here. Knowing the gear and build of someone is spying, knowing how much damage they are doing is visible on the mob itself, a dps meter can easily read how much damage is done on the mob, that's public data.

The hack tool attaches numbers to my account showing player using it numbers I'm providing in the fight. This is not simple looking at boss % HP, this is providing information related to my account and my performance. I don't deny you this tool but I should have right to agree on you spying on my gameplay.

@notebene.3190 said:I thought there was a DPS Meter out there that worked on an 'opt in' basis, where it could only basically give a break down of how well you did, to someone else, if you had this same meter installed, and they somehow shared information?

I was at a world boss today, and someone gave a 'break down' of the top 3 people and their DPS against the boss after the fight. Were they just...making a joke (weird joke?), or is there now a DPS meter out there that let's other people see what you are doing even 'without' you using any sort of compatible software?

If it's allowed, there isn't anything I can do about it, and my feelings about it are, evidently, moot. I was just curious as to whether something like that now existed.

Both approaches exist.

BGDM calculates your metrics and uses its own networking to show the metrics of other uses nearby.ArcDPS calculates estimates (as far as I know) for the performance of everyone in your party or squad and displays them.

Both are approved by ANet. If you don't feel like "being watched", you can simply leave the party/squad.

@Drew.1865 said:I think dps meters should only reveal your own performance. Allowing other players to see your dps is only going to support and create a negative community.

So we can use arc dps? I'm afraid to use a meter in this game.

At first I was very skeptic about all this stuff with dps meter, but after I have installed it, have changed my mind entirely. I dont care much about others dps since I mainly run only fractals, but it offers you some space for self impovement, which I value more.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:The hack tool attaches numbers to my account showing player using it numbers I'm providing in the fight. This is not simple looking at boss % HP, this is providing information related to my account and my performance. I don't deny you this tool but I should have right to agree on you spying on my gameplay.

Your "performance" is no longer your own private information if you engage in combat together with other players. You are no longer on your own.And besides that the meter only works on players in the same party/squad, if you don't want your so called private data to be visible, then don't join a squad/party.I still find it ridiculous that anyone has a problem when they read their damage numbers in the open world

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

Both are approved by ANet. If you don't feel like "being watched", you can simply leave the party/squad.

This is false information. BGDM is no longer approved, its developer got perma banned from the game for providing functions not allowed by game security team. The only greenlighted dps meter is arcdps.

I was talking about the approach used to sharing/displaying other people's dps. BGDM actually was more restrictive in this respect. It's a pity his developer didn't properly wipe the gear inspection module when asked to do it, I liked this add-on. But anyway, I moved on and I'm happy with arcdps now.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Kheldorn.5123 said:The hack tool attaches numbers to my account showing player using it numbers I'm providing in the fight. This is not simple looking at boss % HP, this is providing information related to my account and my performance. I don't deny you this tool but I should have right to agree on you spying on my gameplay.

Your "performance" is no longer your own private information if you engage in combat together with other players. You are no longer on your own.And besides that the meter only works on players in the same party/squad, if you don't want your so called private data to be visible, then don't join a squad/party.I still find it ridiculous that anyone has a problem when they read their damage numbers in the open world

It applies to open world as well as instanced content. If a group or squad are advertised as they monitor dps than it is obvious I can make a choice if I want to allow them to watch me. However you can't control 50 people in squad and that's absolutely beyond my control who uses this tool and who doesn't, whatever they declare about it. This is absolutely inappropriate in the game.

For people fixated about numbers it should make no difference, because you can still require others to use this tool and share dps in group, but for players unaware of this tool or simply those who don't want to use it, it is absolutely required for anet to change their policy to not allow random people spying others players without their consent.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:

It applies to open world as well as instanced content. If a group or squad are advertised as they monitor dps than it is obvious I can make a choice if I want to allow them to watch me. However you can't control 50 people in squad and that's absolutely beyond my control who uses this tool and who doesn't, whatever they declare about it. This is absolutely inappropriate in the game.

For people fixated about numbers it should make no difference, because you can still require others to use this tool and share dps in group, but for players unaware of this tool or simply those who don't want to use it, it is absolutely required for anet to change their policy to not allow random people spying others players without their consent.

Why? Knowing the dps of people in your squad/party means nothing. Even the tool itself is used in instances where it can track specific mobs, in the open world it doesn't, it just counts some dps it sees around it. Why would anyone advertise if they use or not a dps tool when it cannot be used to actually -monitor- anyone?You are making a big deal out of nothing

Archived