Upcoming PvP Soulbeast Issues

Eurantien.4632

With the coming update. Soulbeast will lose its ability to pet swap. This allows for a single merge to trigger clarion bond and zephyr's speed. With unstoppable union's change to give vigor and protection a single merge will grant the soulbeast the following:

Fury, 3 stacks of might, swiftness, quickness, vigor, protection, unblockable, and superspeed.

This is currently still possible in the current game. However, to do so requires you to press 2 buttons very quickly and have 2 CDs ready at the same time. You must pet swap merge VERY fast. This creates a skill differential that allows for a skill ceiling and gives an edge to more experienced players.

With the new update we will be moving away from this. No longer will players have to wait for their pet swap AND merge to be ready, and have to pet swap merge practically simultaneously to break a block (requiring patience and forethought) now players will be able to simply see a block press a button and slaughter someone... it drastically lowers the skill ceiling... something ranger does not need, nor the game needs.

With all the upcoming changes to power/ survivability trade offs, I don't expect to see a low level player going full damage gear with 3 damage traitlines(MM/BM/SB) and an offensive pet to merge with, actually staying enough time alive to pull off this combo. I do think you should be rewarded for going 100% glass cannon, and only few payers like yourself, can really pull this off. Much more likely that a low level player will try to take quickness from "lead the wind" from long distance attacks only , and will pick WS/NM for some defense. We also dont know the number of unstoppable hits CB will provide. If it is something like 3, it will not even support a full RF combo.

@Revolution.5409 said:Will this new unlockable attack mechanic be the same as the previous one or will it have something different?

From their preview:Unblockable (Tooltip): The unblockable description has a new icon.Unblockable (Effect): Skills and traits which grant the unblockable status now use a unified buff. This buff is intensity stacking and stacks are lost whenever attacks hit or miss. Single strikes which hit multiple foes only consume 1 stack. Skills which grant the unblockable status for a duration have been updated to use number of hits instead.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:Will this new unlockable attack mechanic be the same as the previous one or will it have something different?

From their preview:Unblockable (Tooltip): The unblockable description has a new icon.Unblockable (Effect): Skills and traits which grant the unblockable status now use a unified buff. This buff is intensity stacking and stacks are lost whenever attacks hit or miss. Single strikes which hit multiple foes only consume 1 stack. Skills which grant the unblockable status for a duration have been updated to use number of hits instead.

For us it will be the same with a new icon, most of our unblockables got the nerf hammer long time ago. Signet of the hunt is not detailed in that nerf, i hope they realize that otherwise 6s of unlimited unblockable can gain a lot of internet meme points.

However this clearly points out the lack of contact of the balance team with the class. They really need somebody who try to use this class for competitive. Maybe then we start to see some real reworks in there.

With this single pet option, the pet swap is 10 sec. vs 20 sec (15 traited), but I did not see any time reductions for the other skills cds that are affected by petswap. If clarion functions as it did before, you'll see the icon appear for when your next pet swap is going to trigger the trait, but the skills have a 5 second difference in cd. This same timer mismatch will affect lesser lightening reflexes, though there is now less reason to take beastmastery traits with the cd for petswap being tied to the merge and the serious increase in cd for whao. As InsaneQR.7412 mentioned earlier, I agree that the loss of a 2nd pet is a serious nerf. From what I've read so far, the other professions have taken significant nerfs across the board for damage, damage mitigation as well as boon up-time, but I did not see any nerfs to their mobility like there is to ours. You have to either go mobility and lose the stealth or go stealth and have a lot less mobility. This is foreboding to me when considering fights with thief or mesmer, where I have relied heavily on having both.

@Kilrik.6320 said:With this single pet option, the pet swap is 10 sec. vs 20 sec (15 traited), but I did not see any time reductions for the other skills cds that are affected by petswap. If clarion functions as it did before, you'll see the icon appear for when your next pet swap is going to trigger the trait, but the skills have a 5 second difference in cd. This same timer mismatch will affect lesser lightening reflexes, though there is now less reason to take beastmastery traits with the cd for petswap being tied to the merge and the serious increase in cd for whao. As InsaneQR.7412 mentioned earlier, I agree that the loss of a 2nd pet is a serious nerf. From what I've read so far, the other professions have taken significant nerfs across the board for damage, damage mitigation as well as boon up-time, but I did not see any nerfs to their mobility like there is to ours. You have to either go mobility and lose the stealth or go stealth and have a lot less mobility. This is foreboding to me when considering fights with thief or mesmer, where I have relied heavily on having both.

Well first i agree soulbeast losing one pet is an strong nerf, much stronger than other classes got.

Mirage only get one evade thou... which i would call it a hammered nerf.

On the other side Thief is left almost untouched by effective nerfs.

However we have plenty of pets. It is true most of them are completely useless against other players, but we have alternatives for mobility. Still it opens the opportunity if anytime in the foreseeable future Anet deems to actually have a look into ranger.

Bambi doesn't get any nerf on CDs.

Canines are better mobility than bambi and birds, and offer knockdown. It is true they are obscenely bad against players thou.

As i said, if implemented fairly, the fact we get access to swap traits in beastmode is a huge improvement in build variety and im all in for build variety the more the better.

And with the new nerfs to healing skills i bet you’ll be happy to use that clarion bond blast with healing spring.