Asset re-use or intentional? Whisper

Bast.7253

Do you think having the Whisper of Jormag be a krait-appearing mob means anything more?

It seems odd when we had the Tower of Nightmare with the Krait boss and Mordremoth.

Then again, I can't distinctly recall Zhaitan ever having any overly significant Krait minions and Kralk only had Forgotten.

Are they just going with more reptillian/snake like creatures because they're representing dragons that are also reptilian?

Do we even know how old the Krait are in relation to the other races? I guess we don't really know anything about the origin of any of the Tyrian-native races, or if they're all even native to Tyria.

For that matter, could Forgotten just be the Krait that "ascended to a higher realm?"

So many mysteries in this game's lore, and it feels like we'll never discover any of them!

I suppose the Risen Krait Witches were the nastiest of the corrupted Krait that Zhaitan had

I personally think it's just a reusing of assets that looks cool for being draconic/reptilian, but it hadn't gone unnoticed either. I still think the Krait are in some way tied to the DSD even if it's just as legacy worshippers and they don't realise what their "Prophet" is/was

Specifically, it's a reskin of the krait oratuss. Close observation and you can see the same scale ridges on the back of the head.

I think they intentionally chose the krait/forgotten rigging, for three reasons:

1. Jormag is based off of Jormungandr, the World Serpent, and the tooth at Hoelbrak is called Fang of the Serpent. They used the snake-man rigging that they have no doubt as a reference to this, and not the krait.
  2. Reusing rigging is common and saves a lot of time.
  3. Risen Wraiths/Seven Reapers/Arbiter of the Dead/Endless Ignited Wraith Tonic use this rigging, which makes this a typical go-to non-racial specter rig. And the whisper of Jormag is definitely a specter-like entity.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Are they just going with more reptillian/snake like creatures because they're representing dragons that are also reptilian?Most likely. With the creation of the wyvern model, they have made heavy use of it, even creating a risen wyvern only for Siren's Landing. Since the wyvern rigging was made, only Jormag lacks a dragon minion using the wyvern rigging - and that likely won't remain true for very long.

Do we even know how old the Krait are in relation to the other races? I guess we don't really know anything about the origin of any of the Tyrian-native races, or if they're all even native to Tyria.

For that matter, could Forgotten just be the Krait that "ascended to a higher realm?"

Krait are 100% confirmed unrelated to the forgotten, who are not native to the world of Tyria.

We don't know if the krait were around during the previous dragonrise, but it is possible. The confirmed races from the previous dragonrise are:

• Dwarves
  • Seers
  • Mursaat
  • Jotun
  • Forgotten (seemingly arrived to the world during/shortly before the Dragonrise)
  • Giganticus Lupicus
  • Kodan
  • Charr (gw2 grawl levels of primitive, supposedly)In addition, the tengu are implied to have been around.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:Krait are in a category of "Dumber races"... i mean, they hardly are fitted in a more deep meaning in the lore,, but still the origin of their orb is a mystery.The krait are actually stated to be one of the smartest races. But they're also xenophobic, thus making any communication nigh impossible.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

Krait are 100% confirmed unrelated to the forgotten, who are not native to the world of Tyria.

If I remember correctly, this understanding comes from a manuscript, possibly EotN. However, I wouldn't be so sure that the species are 100% "unrelated". That statement may simply mean that they cannot reproduce with each other, even if both have a common environmental origin (the sea); and just as the Naga may not be able to reproduce with krait or forgotten but are still an aquatic species. (I believe that the forgotten are an aquatic race that can survive for extended periods on land.)

@"Stephen.6312" said:If I remember correctly, this understanding comes from a manuscript, possibly EotN. However, I wouldn't be so sure that the species are 100% "unrelated". That statement may simply mean that they cannot reproduce with each other, even if both have a common environmental origin (the sea); and just as the Naga may not be able to reproduce with krait or forgotten but are still an aquatic species. (I believe that the forgotten are an aquatic race that can survive for extended periods on land.)

It was restated in both Season 2 and Season 3:

If they remain in Tyria, they are elusive at best, and many believe they have gone back to the Mists from which they came—perhaps never to return.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Forgotten_Not_Forgotten

Magic was hoarded by the elite: the seers, jotun, mursaat and the beings from the gods realm, to name a few. But the vast majority did not have power. This is no longer the case.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Enduring_Icicle

The Forgotten are as unrelated to krait/naga, as humans are unrelated to norn.

Also, the Forgotten show no signs of being an aquatic species, unlike the naga and krait. While they did have an armada in the Crystal Sea at one point, this was an armada of ships, which would heavily imply the species not being aquatic, as aquatic races have shown no interest in making ships in Tyria. Furthermore, their primary source of habitat has always been land, particularly arid lands, which aquatic species would not be able to survive.