DX12 for GW2. Do yourself a favor, try this out. — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

DX12 for GW2. Do yourself a favor, try this out.

The tool called d912pxy, it's basically a dx9=>dx12 wrapper for GW2. It's been out for awhile and was discussed on those forums and on reddit etc., but back then it was raw and unstable and i feel like it's been awhile now. Recently new version 2.0 was released that added AVX support among other things. I haven't been playing GW2 for over a year now and over the game's lifetime one of the things i grew to heavily despise (probably the most even) is it's performance. Few days ago i decided to give it another spin, while thinking to myself, that it probably won't last long and as i have enough of this jerky stuttery mess i'll quit once more. However, i did download latest d912pxy, without having high hopes, but just to check, and oh boi was i in for a ride. I mean, modern PC gaming is not what it used to be in 2000s, nowadays every1 with a modest midrange PC can treat oneself to a smooth 60+ performance in almost any game, i certainly did, i grew accustomed to it and i love it. I just don't play a game if it doesn't perform as it should. And in that sense GW2 is truly stuck in the past with it's yew so shameful performance. I really feel like having a go at AN here, but kitten it. Now, it's not about raw numbers, your average and minimum framerates. It's about frametimes and consistency.
For me it's basically completely revitalized my interest and enjoyment of the game, the world of Tyria suddenly shines with bright new colors, every encounter is enjoyable. I think everyone should give it a go and as many ppl as possible should be made aware of it. There basically should be a sign on the main page for new players: "Play using this!"

Short educational video:

Tnx for reading.

<1

Comments

  • DoRi Silvia.4159DoRi Silvia.4159 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020

    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

  • Aza.2105Aza.2105 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

  • @Aza.2105 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

    Couldn't find too much info on a google search, is the improvement significant or just a subtle difference ? Like was there a big difference in fps and just general smoothness ingame?

    Now I cant wait to go home and try this

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @Aza.2105 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

    Couldn't find too much info on a google search, is the improvement significant or just a subtle difference ? Like was there a big difference in fps and just general smoothness ingame?

    Now I cant wait to go home and try this

    Depends on your system. I found no noticeable improvement when I tried it last year but others report significant improvements for them.

  • @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @Aza.2105 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

    Couldn't find too much info on a google search, is the improvement significant or just a subtle difference ? Like was there a big difference in fps and just general smoothness ingame?

    Now I cant wait to go home and try this

    Depends on your system. I found no noticeable improvement when I tried it last year but others report significant improvements for them.

    Ah yes I did watch a video and it was showing the optimal requirements to use the system and my rig will do the job...
    I Will install and compare tonight and report back on my results here

    Woohoo ! Something new to try for gw2 :》

  • Bassdeff.1895Bassdeff.1895 Member ✭✭✭

    I haven't tried it on it's but as a D3D9_chainload with ArcDPS and I was getting all kinds a graphical gltiches like certain things not getting rendered. i don't know if it is d912pxy or ArcDPS but it doesn't matter either way cause Arcdps takes priority.

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    What actually changes though? I thibl the game runs fine on my pc. 🤔

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    if it is allot more stable than back then then sure, last time i used this the game stopped working completely.

    the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

  • Chaba.5410Chaba.5410 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Bassdeff.1895 said:
    I haven't tried it on it's but as a D3D9_chainload with ArcDPS and I was getting all kinds a graphical gltiches like certain things not getting rendered. i don't know if it is d912pxy or ArcDPS but it doesn't matter either way cause Arcdps takes priority.

    A friend also runs it this way and the boss, characters, and tells were not being rendered in the new strike mission last night.

  • TinkTinkPOOF.9201TinkTinkPOOF.9201 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @Aza.2105 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

    Couldn't find too much info on a google search, is the improvement significant or just a subtle difference ? Like was there a big difference in fps and just general smoothness ingame?

    Now I cant wait to go home and try this

    Depends on your system. I found no noticeable improvement when I tried it last year but others report significant improvements for them.

    Indeed.

    It is a very YMMV. Most low end systems will probbaly see some gains, however there is overhead with this, so some might not. And from what I have seen on my personal rigs, higher end systems see no gain or massive drops in performance and loading or graphical glitches. My main rig went from 140-200FPS to 60-80FPS, not only is that a massive drop, but even at those frames (which should feel very smooth still), it felt horrible, closer to 20-30FPS. This was due to constant drops to sub 10FPS that were so short they don't show on a FPS counter, but showed in logs.

    I still check it out from time to time when updates come out, however, I still have not see any FPS gains on my personal rigs since I first heard about the wrapper.

    "When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

  • @TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

    @Ayrilana.1396 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @Aza.2105 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Been recently seeing alot of people in game talking about this. I might give this a go when I get home tonight... anything to gain another 10 or so fps !!!

    I've been using it for awhile. Its very nice.

    Couldn't find too much info on a google search, is the improvement significant or just a subtle difference ? Like was there a big difference in fps and just general smoothness ingame?

    Now I cant wait to go home and try this

    Depends on your system. I found no noticeable improvement when I tried it last year but others report significant improvements for them.

    Indeed.

    It is a very YMMV. Most low end systems will probbaly see some gains, however there is overhead with this, so some might not. And from what I have seen on my personal rigs, higher end systems see no gain or massive drops in performance and loading or graphical glitches. My main rig went from 140-200FPS to 60-80FPS, not only is that a massive drop, but even at those frames (which should feel very smooth still), it felt horrible, closer to 20-30FPS. This was due to constant drops to sub 10FPS that were so short they don't show on a FPS counter, but showed in logs.

    I still check it out from time to time when updates come out, however, I still have not see any FPS gains on my personal rigs since I first heard about the wrapper.

    Seems like a version 2.0 was released 4 days ago with the addition of AVX support,
    Have you tried the latest version?

  • aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2020

    Nice, I see I have to upgrade mine again. It works great!!

    edit, I cheered too soon. Install failed :P

  • @aspirine.6852 said:
    Nice, I see I have to upgrade mine again. It works great!!

    edit, I cheered too soon. Install failed :P

    What happened ? Installed and it wont launch? I read somewhere to use 2.0 your cpu must support AVX if not keep using 1.9

  • aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @aspirine.6852 said:
    Nice, I see I have to upgrade mine again. It works great!!

    edit, I cheered too soon. Install failed :P

    What happened ? Installed and it wont launch? I read somewhere to use 2.0 your cpu must support AVX if not keep using 1.9

    When I hit install it complains about a missing dll. Might have done something wrong but usually it is just hit install and done. Not behind my pc now so I c ant remember the exact name.

  • @aspirine.6852 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @aspirine.6852 said:
    Nice, I see I have to upgrade mine again. It works great!!

    edit, I cheered too soon. Install failed :P

    What happened ? Installed and it wont launch? I read somewhere to use 2.0 your cpu must support AVX if not keep using 1.9

    When I hit install it complains about a missing dll. Might have done something wrong but usually it is just hit install and done. Not behind my pc now so I c ant remember the exact name.

    Missing dlls usually means the install location was not in the right folder. Is there a guide for this?

  • aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LolLookAtMyAP.8394 said:

    @aspirine.6852 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @aspirine.6852 said:
    Nice, I see I have to upgrade mine again. It works great!!

    edit, I cheered too soon. Install failed :P

    What happened ? Installed and it wont launch? I read somewhere to use 2.0 your cpu must support AVX if not keep using 1.9

    When I hit install it complains about a missing dll. Might have done something wrong but usually it is just hit install and done. Not behind my pc now so I c ant remember the exact name.

    Missing dlls usually means the install location was not in the right folder. Is there a guide for this?

    Yeah I might have done something stupid. Still recommend it though, the previous installs worked great.

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

    no thanks, not risking losing my spot on a full map when doing metas

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • you need to install the latest version of c++ or something (if that’s not it, whatever you need should be mentioned on the github page) for the latest version to work. also, wouldn’t hurt to do a clean installation.

  • I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

  • One question: does this add-on crash the game with Gw2hook?

  • DoRi Silvia.4159DoRi Silvia.4159 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

  • galuf.5741galuf.5741 Member ✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

  • I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Well that's just ... wow
    I'd have to sell my beloved car to achieve full fps in this game ...

  • soultysugar.5764soultysugar.5764 Member ✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020

    The instructions, guides, troubleshooting as well as a showcase of performance gains are all on the d912pxy's github page. Just google gw2 dx12 and it should be the first link u get. There's a separate section for using it with other addons and overlays, where explained how to install it with ArcDps, Reshade, GW2Radial. I personally used an AVX2 build with Reshade 4.3 (use only this version) and i haven't had crashes in 2 days time. I also briefly played with overlays like Taco, PAO, Navi, seemed fine, but didn't test it extensively. The whole installation takes like 5-10 mins (less).

    As i said, it's not about raw numbers, like average fps or even minimum fps. Those are higher for me too. But main advantage is consistent frametimes. That's why it feels so smooth. Just try it out, there's nothing to loose here. I'am not sure what's the point in reporting your performance on a rig that sports i9 clocked at 5ghz. And? There's nothing remotely mainstream about it. For reference my rig is r5 [email protected] with 1660Ti. There's literally zero useful information in claims like "i have 140 fps locked".

  • TwoGhosts.6790TwoGhosts.6790 Member ✭✭✭

    @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Flex bruh.
    Meanwhile, might try this out.

  • Okay so, my results installing d912pxy was

    Saw no fps gains, crowded skill spam zones still drop to 20-30fps

    BUT OH MY KITTEN GW2 looks so different with this installed, it looks sharper colors seem more vibrant, transition is smooth and just...... the visuals...

    Now I did find that my rx570 gpu was getting used alot more .. from seeing usage percentage 30-40% to 80-90% now. I dont see any spikes or lag due to this but still was very surprised to see that

  • On my extreme end system (threadripper+1080ti) I get an insane boost from this in cities / wvw / metas. Literally 20 fps to 50. Insane how incompetent anet is.

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2020

    @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    You're not, it's impossible.

    @Zinthros.6589 said:
    On my extreme end system (threadripper+1080ti) I get an insane boost from this in cities / wvw / metas. Literally 20 fps to 50. Insane how incompetent anet is.

    Doesn't have to do with incompetence when the foundation is flawed, however it's extreme laziness and company shenanigans to not endorse technologies that improves the experience of their own foundation. It's already known that they are in denial of it because they claim no improvements whatsoever which is a lie, the game API is so bloated that even the worst methods of implementing a new rendering method is more effective than the native one itself.

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    Okay so, my results installing d912pxy was

    Saw no fps gains, crowded skill spam zones still drop to 20-30fps

    BUT OH MY KITTEN GW2 looks so different with this installed, it looks sharper colors seem more vibrant, transition is smooth and just...... the visuals...

    Now I did find that my rx570 gpu was getting used alot more .. from seeing usage percentage 30-40% to 80-90% now. I dont see any spikes or lag due to this but still was very surprised to see that

    Because the CPU is no longer the bottleneck. Your GPU is doing more of the lifting now. Still, badly crowded area's will perform better but only to an extend, this is not a miracle pill for the game dated API. If you want to improve it, reduce CPU intensive settings like player count, landscape or shadows, you'll free up some of the calls for more frames.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • May anyone help me?
    I'd rly like to try out dx12 and I am quite certain that I am doing everything correctly,
    yet, whenever I try to install it, an error message pops up reading "vcruntime140.dll" is missing.

    Is their something I can do to solve this issue? I even already tried to download vcruntime but it didn't help.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Unfortunately, no matter how good it is (or isn't) it still isn't worth having to switch to win 10 for it.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • All I did was follow this to make it work

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    You're not, it's impossible.

    You dont get it.

    Hes getting full fps.

    Full. Fps.

    Any time.

    Kind of like how you can sit and watch TV. All the TV.

    gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dawdler.8521 said:

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    You're not, it's impossible.

    You dont get it.

    Hes getting full fps.

    Full. Fps.

    Any time.

    Kind of like how you can sit and watch TV. All the TV.

    A full frame per second I guess. :p

    @Astralporing.1957 said:
    Unfortunately, no matter how good it is (or isn't) it still isn't worth having to switch to win 10 for it.

    Windows 7 does have DX12 support now btw.

    @Leon.8069 said:
    May anyone help me?
    I'd rly like to try out dx12 and I am quite certain that I am doing everything correctly,
    yet, whenever I try to install it, an error message pops up reading "vcruntime140.dll" is missing.

    Is their something I can do to solve this issue? I even already tried to download vcruntime but it didn't help.

    It still has to do with C++ Microsoft packages sadly, you'll have to try reinstalling/repair the most recent to make it work.

    P.S: Never download DLL's from the net, never ever. Unless you can obtain one specifically from someone you can trust it's a real one, like locally via USB Storage.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:
    Unfortunately, no matter how good it is (or isn't) it still isn't worth having to switch to win 10 for it.

    Windows 7 does have DX12 support now btw.

    oh, really? [/sarcasm]
    (hint: check your facts, because that statement is a bit of a misunderstanding of what Microsoft really did, and why what they did does nothing for d912pxy)

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:
    Unfortunately, no matter how good it is (or isn't) it still isn't worth having to switch to win 10 for it.

    Windows 7 does have DX12 support now btw.

    oh, really? [/sarcasm]
    (hint: check your facts, because that statement is a bit of a misunderstanding of what Microsoft really did, and why what they did does nothing for d912pxy)

    Fact is if DX12 libraries are on Windows 7 and running for one game, just one. It can for any, exclusivity is a false claim. Vulkan always ran fine on 7 beforehand and we all know how it's using very similar if not same exact methods to work on a lower level.

    It's worth a try, not here to say that it will definitely work but my statement does vaguely say that DX12 is "supported" on Windows 7, to say that it isn't would be a lie.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2020

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @Astralporing.1957 said:
    Unfortunately, no matter how good it is (or isn't) it still isn't worth having to switch to win 10 for it.

    Windows 7 does have DX12 support now btw.

    oh, really? [/sarcasm]
    (hint: check your facts, because that statement is a bit of a misunderstanding of what Microsoft really did, and why what they did does nothing for d912pxy)

    Fact is if DX12 libraries are on Windows 7 and running for one game, just one. It can for any, exclusivity is a false claim. Vulkan always ran fine on 7 beforehand and we all know how it's using very similar if not same exact methods to work on a lower level.

    It's worth a try, not here to say that it will definitely work but my statement does vaguely say that DX12 is "supported" on Windows 7, to say that it isn't would be a lie.

    And that's not what MS did. What they did was to create a development library that allowed game developers to include what is basically a dx12->dx11 wrapper (with added limited support for ray tracing, but only if you're using NVidia) in their executables. The game is still in reality running on dx11, not dx12. And only if the game developer built the executable using those MS libraries

    Hint nr1: that option was not icluded in GW2 (not surprisingly, as gw2 does not use dx12)
    hint nr2: in d912pxy that wasn't included either (not surprising as i see no point of double wrapping dx9->dx12->dx11)

    The short of it is that dx912pxy still does not work on windows 7 and windows 8.1

    Edit: apparently i was wrong and d912pxy actually does use that, so it will run on windows 7 (not on 8.1 though). The end result however should be pretty much the same as running the game without wrapper.

    The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2020

    @Astralporing.1957 A wrapper is never ideal, GW2 is an exception because it runs much worst than it should on it's native API.

    All GPU's that supported 11.2 have the support for 12, of course not fully but already beneficial in a game that is as CPU intensive as this, or any MMO for that matter.

    Considering that you're off loading a lot from the CPU to GPU.

    Afterall that's what it was meant to do. Increase performance in intensive scenarios.

    Willing to help with anything Revenant related.

  • phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zinthros.6589 said:
    On my extreme end system (threadripper+1080ti) I get an insane boost from this in cities / wvw / metas. Literally 20 fps to 50. Insane how incompetent anet is.

    On the contrary, any developer would want to implement the latest and greatest technologies. But when you’re in a business world, you have to do a cost benefit analysis on any new feature.

    Dx12 isn’t a magic bullet that’s going to solve all of these performance problems. Graphic calls in GW2 are done on a render thread rather the main thread. Basically it’s almost always not where the bottleneck occurs. GW2 would have to be massively refactored which goes back to what I said... do they spend time, resources, and money for a potentially smoother experience or is everything still acceptable as is? And for most it’s still acceptable and through ANets eyes.

    The dx12py wrapper seems to be very helpful for some so try it out if anyone is having low FPS (even when turning your camera).

  • @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Please, record using OBS or Shadowplay, to demonstrate this. while keeping your Graphic settings displayed.

    \ - Combat Healer -/
    \ _ Casual Player _/
    \ Fake Mentor /

  • Substance E.4852Substance E.4852 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @jishi.7568 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Please, record using OBS or Shadowplay, to demonstrate this. while keeping your Graphic settings displayed.

    LMAO I love the "64GB of RAM" part as though you're ever gonna come close to consuming all of that without running multiple AAA games in the background or doing something ludicrous like crypto mining while gaming

  • Too bad my Potato VGA doesn't support DX12 I cri evrytiem

  • mikethethird.5178mikethethird.5178 Member
    edited February 11, 2020

    @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Complete utter smart kitten comment. First thing smart wana be, 8-16-32-64 ram GB does not matter, not even a slight. Second of all, braging about 2080ti mean nothing in gw2 as the game is based on cpu coding and usage. As for i9, Yes cpu matter but even the most beast cpu can't handle high fps in zergs as the game engine is poorly designed so please, go be a wanabe otter some where else. Gotta love those wana be fools.

  • Tried it with my 4790k and nv970. Gets exactly same framerate, but textures take ages to load in. So I see no advantage. Graphics card shows 30-50% usage on average so still greatly hindered by CPU.

  • crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    @Substance E.4852 said:

    @jishi.7568 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:

    @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    @galuf.5741 said:
    I don't see how this tool will bump my experience when I'm fps capped for my monitor in full configuration tho. I believe that actually gw2 is a bit more demanding, maybe it would do fine for people with midrange specs.

    So your rig is able to hold solid fps in big zerg maps of like 50 + people spamming skills? If so then please share your specs.......it is very difficult to achieve high fps in populated demanding areas wvw for example, but the app looks like it helps to utilize more cores rather than being single heavy, thus gaining better performance. Pretty sure also that the main advantage is not your avg frame rate but your lowest fps drop will see increase.
    Have seen people reporting where they used to get 20-30 fps is now seeing 45-60

    My rig is the same I get 100+ fps in a quiet area until I come across a big squad or a big meta event happens it drops to lowest 20-25. Which is why I'm so eager to try this out

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Please, record using OBS or Shadowplay, to demonstrate this. while keeping your Graphic settings displayed.

    LMAO I love the "64GB of RAM" part as though you're ever gonna come close to consuming all of that without running multiple AAA games in the background or doing something ludicrous like crypto mining while gaming

    I have 150+ browser tabs open, BDO running in the background, and I'm nowhere close to even use up my 32GB, which is half of his ram

    [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • jishi.7568jishi.7568 Member ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    For those wondering, this Dx12 wrapper is awesome. Unlocks the vram usage unlike on dx9 and lets more info to be stored in the Ram sticks. So game will run smoother. make two folder, the dx9 and dx12 and you will see the difference. in fact, i deleted the old folder and kept the DX12 modded one. only thing is character selection screen has the icons with missing texture, that is about it.

    \ - Combat Healer -/
    \ _ Casual Player _/
    \ Fake Mentor /

  • soultysugar.5764soultysugar.5764 Member ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    If u're trying this out, please read installation guide and troubleshooting on github etc. If u're launching for the first time the proxy will need to cache shaders, this will cause the pop in on your screen, textures and objects slowly rendering in, speed depends on your storage (HDD vs SDD). Additionaly u can download some basic precompiled shader packs to speed up the process. This will also affect framerates, so before measuring make sure the caching process is done.

    PS. Still having a blast. For the first time since i'am playing this game (beta) i actually enjoy the simple moment to moment gameplay.
    PPS. There's no need to make 2 folders, just rename d3d9.dll(or however u chose to call it during installation) in bin64 folder if u wanna dx9 bck.

  • Okay can someone explain this to me in layman's terms? I know literally nothing about computers and as far as I'm concerned, GW2 works fine. The OP's post is just bibble babble to me. What?

  • @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    All I did was follow this to make it work

    @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    Okay can someone explain this to me in layman's terms? I know literally nothing about computers and as far as I'm concerned, GW2 works fine. The OP's post is just bibble babble to me. What?

    Look at the video.

    \ - Combat Healer -/
    \ _ Casual Player _/
    \ Fake Mentor /

  • @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

    I run at full fps anywhere and at any time. I've got 64GB ram, an i9, a 2nd gen ssd and a 2080TI. Also, I want to note that most of the time I feel like the youtubers don't run the game nearly as well as I do.

    Well that's just ... wow
    I'd have to sell my beloved car to achieve full fps in this game ...

    I have similar hardware stats with a 4K monitor. With that setup I find I have to back off the graphics settings so yes I am thinking about dx12 for gw.

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I saw some comparison videos and pics and didn't really notice much difference sadly 🤔