Best build/class to kill a thief, that is NOT a thief/mes.

Silverstone.4539

I have had it with being jump and slowly pecked down to death by thief's in WvW. I want revenge on them all. BUT, I'm not going to stoop to their level by playing one. So what's the best build/class, to kill a thief that does not use their tactics. I want to brute force kill them, no stealth, no slow condition kills, no clones. I want them to see me coming and see the white in their eyes before I break their necks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost always run something like this for roaming since I'm not fast enough to react to thieves that well. Keep your pet stowed while OOC, then when the thief attacks and stuns you from stealth, the gazelle will appear and the F3 skill will be the 1st skill it uses, in this case it is a daze. Then you can merge with the pet to break stun and go to town with your burst. YMMV.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAR8XjEqQLLWyCOsAVLW+Ds8y75t9uUEWABgmUwtbHUy5eD-jxBHABN/EAA4iA8n6PypbI99HMS5XUKBJDQ1YA-e

I've had the funnest time on my full zerk warri (sometimes half Cav stats and the rest zerker) using gunflame. Usually 1HKO obliterated thief as many seem to run squishy gear and forget about utilising acro line.

Usual setup consists of letting the thief think he has you (Keep running in a straight line with your GS like a noob - rely on EP trait to proc OR manual EP on skill bar + he's less likely to instinct dodge when you're low health and react) ... so here is the combo when swapping to rifle (intelligence + force sigils):

On My Mark (so he cannot stealth) -> To the Limit! heal (full adrenaline) -> enter berserker mode which should proc traited Taunt -> Gunflame

Using that combo should give you a downed thief (people don't expect rifle warri roaming around) at your feet in most cases. You can drop On My Mark for something else but any extra vuln stacks are always welcome.

Hope that helps.

One build you might like is the test of faith bouncy bouncy 1 shot Dragon Hunter build I've seen in WvW. Though I have never played guardian, from what I've seen the build is basically designed to bounce your target in and out of the test of faith trap via spear of justice, shield bubble thing and longbow knockback. Additionally, if the spear lands then the pull is unevadeable and we all know how much thieves like their evades...

@Zephyra.4709 said:I've had the funnest time on my full zerk warri (sometimes half Cav stats and the rest zerker) using gunflame. Usually 1HKO obliterated thief as many seem to run squishy gear and forget about utilising acro line.

Usual setup consists of letting the thief think he has you (Keep running in a straight line with your GS like a noob - rely on EP trait to proc OR manual EP on skill bar + he's less likely to instinct dodge when you're low health and react) ... so here is the combo when swapping to rifle (intelligence + force sigils):

On My Mark (so he cannot stealth) -> To the Limit! heal (full adrenaline) -> enter berserker mode which should proc traited Taunt -> Gunflame

Using that combo should give you a downed thief (people don't expect rifle warri roaming around) at your feet in most cases. You can drop On My Mark for something else but any extra vuln stacks are always welcome.

Hope that helps.

That sounds hilarious, I gotta try that sometime.

regular gs+d/sh Spellbreaker can do it too. Just get the master trait for revealing + chain, and use gs burst near smoke fields or inside shadow refuge. Also use bulls charge, featherfood grace and EP. Shield with reflect helps against D/P thieves alot, dagger 3 is a nice insta-daze. Try to play less oppressive, play passive with well placed counters and when thief is at ca 30%, gs5, bulls charge.

Bullscharge and a followed dagger4 (when using dagger/dagger) is often a 2hit-kill when using sigil of intelligence.

@Aury.1367 said:regular gs+d/sh Spellbreaker can do it too. Just get the master trait for revealing + chain, and use gs burst near smoke fields or inside shadow refuge. Also use bulls charge, featherfood grace and EP. Shield with reflect helps against D/P thieves alot, dagger 3 is a nice insta-daze. Try to play less oppressive, play passive with well placed counters and when thief is at ca 30%, gs5, bulls charge.

Bullscharge and a followed dagger4 (when using dagger/dagger) is often a 2hit-kill when using sigil of intelligence.

Disclaimer: Does not work against S/D power thieves.

@Silverstone.4539 said:nope, i give up

Well there's your problem. Get to work on that part first, best way to learn the game is to play it. Of course a bunch of thieves are going to pick off your squads tail or jump people running across the map, they don't get a reserved seat on the squad bus. So, you can "stoop to their level" and actually have to work for your loot or stay with your tag, jump on voice comms, and maybe you'll pick up more bags than you drop.

@Silverstone.4539 said:I have had it with being jump and slowly pecked down to death by thief's in WvW. I want revenge on them all. BUT, I'm not going to stoop to their level by playing one. So what's the best build/class, to kill a thief that does not use their tactics. I want to brute force kill them, no stealth, no slow condition kills, no clones. I want them to see me coming and see the white in their eyes before I break their necks.

Two things: make a thief to learn how it plays. It's strengths and weaknesses.

Second: find a guildie or friend that you can duel in a Guild Hall arena to practice.

Otherwise, tough to learn to beat them without getting a lot of beatings.

@Snowywonders.1378 said:Dragonhunter. Those saying spellbreaker, get real. Spellbreaker can put up a fight, sure, but it is not at all a counter to power thieves.

It sorta can actually,we have a util that reveals and tether trait ( the pull ) also has a reveal,i think thats pretty much a counter espec for tether If it lands the thief cant stealth and if he trys to port he gets pulled back to you.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sight_beyond_Sight

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magebane_Tether_(trait_skill)

Archived