Drakkar - a former champion

Bast.7253

Could Drakkar be a former champion of the deep sea dragon that was coerced into joining Jormag?

We haven't really seen evidence of this before, but considering what Jormag is trying to do with us, while maybe not as literal as Teq, as the champions of Aurene.

Just a random thought.

I also found it strange during the story and the encounter, Drakkar moves through the ice, but when you melt away the ice there's just rock behind it. So, how is this huge dragon moving through a 10 foot thick sheet of ice with solid rock behind it? Like his physical body just merges with the ice and moves through it like a ghost in a painting of a horror flick, or a mirror.

It's also a little strange that it's all rotten and decayed. I guess Claw might be as well, but I always just assumed it was formed from fragments of ice and not necessarily a creature that was warped from corruption. I don't think I've seen any other minions of Jormag possess the ability to just traverse through ice like that either. None of the Svanir or Icebrood seem to at least. So what's so special about Drakkar? Could that ability be part of the reason why Jormag wanted him? Or did Jormag grant that ability? Would be convenient to find something that can traverse through water/ice if you plan on freezing everything. Not as convenient having a bunch of minions bound to walking/flying.

I mean, he's pretty dead now so I guess it doesn't much matter, but the idea of Jormag having this champion that spent a vast majority of time frozen in a body of water and presumed aquatic seems a little weird. Unless he's just some insanely large amphibious river drake that was empowered.

At this point we must remember that Jormag has consumed a bit of Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik's Magic thus her form and powers are mixed with them.

For Drakkar, his appearance is most likely due to Zhaitan's magic giving him a more undead appearance. His swimming in the Ice may have been from Mordremoth's magic being adjusted so Drakkar can become part of the ice itself similar to how Mordremoth became part of the Maguuma Jungle. Not to mention the spawning of more Illusion beings (Green, blue, and Red) created by opening Rifts to bring the dead corrupted back which we know is most likely from Kralkatorrik due to him consuming Balthazar , the part of the Mist, and his power over Chaos Magic.

With each Elder Dragon defeated, a part of their powers are obtained by the remaining Elder Dragons as we learned back in Season 3 thus their appearance and even their Champion's appearance may also change with the addition of the new Elder Dragon magic.

@EdwinLi.1284 said:At this point we must remember that Jormag has consumed a bit of Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Kralkatorrik's Magic thus her form and powers are mixed with them.

For Drakkar, his appearance is most likely due to Zhaitan's magic giving him a more undead appearance. His swimming in the Ice may have been from Mordremoth's magic being adjusted so Drakkar can become part of the ice itself similar to how Mordremoth became part of the Maguuma Jungle. Not to mention the spawning of more Illusion beings (Green, blue, and Red) created by opening Rifts to bring the dead corrupted back which we know is most likely from Kralkatorrik due to him consuming Balthazar , the part of the Mist, and his power over Chaos Magic.

With each Elder Dragon defeated, a part of their powers are obtained by the remaining Elder Dragons as we learned back in Season 3 thus their appearance and even their Champion's appearance may also change with the addition of the new Elder Dragon magic.

I'm not sure how either of Mordremoth's domains of magics would allow Drakkar to become a part of the ice as Jormag would have inherited plant or mind.

The undead appearance could be from Zhaitan or from the hunger and Wolverine's influence. Wolverine's influence makes sense, as the Fraenir is the only other one I can recall immediately that looks deathly and decayed and isn't a boneskinner. But the Fraenir seems like it's really Zhaitan's influence.

I'm not sure I'm following any of your illusion being bit. The Green, Red, Blue were influences from the spirits, not from creating rifts?

And Chaos Magic? I would have thought Chaos magic would have been Lyssa more than Balthazar.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I also found it strange during the story and the encounter, Drakkar moves through the ice, but when you melt away the ice there's just rock behind it. So, how is this huge dragon moving through a 10 foot thick sheet of ice with solid rock behind it? Like his physical body just merges with the ice and moves through it like a ghost in a painting of a horror flick, or a mirror.

The rock is only present in the story, and is part of the tactics for trapping Drakkar so it couldn't escape. For the whole "3 feet of ice Drakkar fits in", I'd label that more as mechanics than lore, since the notion is to melt away all the ice so Drakkar had only one entry-point. They could have done it differently, but also had to limit the playing space.

It's also a little strange that it's all rotten and decayed.It's not so strange at all, given that it's influenced by Zhaitan's decaying magic. That's what Zhaitan's magic does to flesh, while to stone and crystals it makes it cracked and brittle.

That said, all icebrood are, after a while, nothing but ice and bone. Drakkar's a bit different, in that it doesn't seem to be made of much ice at all.

As to Drakkar's ability to traverse the ice - this may be a unique ability granted to Drakkar by Jormag, which isn't uncommon. A lot of champions get unique abilities, like the Shadow of the Dragon's presence in the Dream, or the Eyes and Mouths of Zhaitan, or Branded Riftstalker's abilities to open rifts.

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:His swimming in the Ice may have been from Mordremoth's magic being adjusted so Drakkar can become part of the ice itself similar to how Mordremoth became part of the Maguuma Jungle.I would definitely disagree. Mordremoth "being the jungle" is a slight misnomer - Mordremoth wasn't the jungle, but rather "all of his corruption" and this was an attribute of his Mind domain, allowing his mind to traverse and inhabit anything he corrupted, which was living plants (via his Plant domain). This is vast different case of a physical body phasing through solid material.

Not to mention the spawning of more Illusion beings (Green, blue, and Red) created by opening Rifts to bring the dead corrupted back which we know is most likely from Kralkatorrik due to him consuming Balthazar , the part of the Mist, and his power over Chaos Magic.

The red/blue/green hues are from the Lost Spirits. Not sure what you mean about bringing the dead corrupted back. The only case of "the dead coming back" is the corruption of souls via Fallen and Aberrants. As for the portals - we see the icebrood make portals since the core game, via "borrowing" powers from the Wolf Havroun; so those portals are also likely the Lost Spirits'.

We don't quite know if Jormag got any magic from Balthazar, and we haven't seen anything we can solidly classify as being from Kralkatorrik's magic (and same for Mordremoth's magic beyond the Unstable Abomination).

@"cptaylor.2670" said:The undead appearance could be from Zhaitan or from the hunger and Wolverine's influence. Wolverine's influence makes sense, as the Fraenir is the only other one I can recall immediately that looks deathly and decayed and isn't a boneskinner. But the Fraenir seems like it's really Zhaitan's influence.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_Wiki:Projects/Shared_Model_Project/I#Icebrood

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Icebrood_Colossus.jpg - You can see a rib cage, and if you look closely at the model, there is a skull inside the block of ice.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Champion_Svanir_Tyrant.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Icebrood_Oppressor.jpg - Image is wrong side, but the left side of the face is just a skull.

Icebrood corruption is well known to slowly have flesh and muscle replaced by ice, until all that's left is bone inside ice.

And Chaos Magic? I would have thought Chaos magic would have been Lyssa more than Balthazar.He's relating chaos to Kralkatorrik, a long standing and unproven theory that is part of the repeatedly failed attempts to 1:1 associate Elder Dragons's domains to the Six Gods' magic.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"EdwinLi.1284" said:His swimming in the Ice may have been from Mordremoth's magic being adjusted so Drakkar can become part of the ice itself similar to how Mordremoth became part of the Maguuma Jungle.I would definitely disagree. Mordremoth "being the jungle" is a slight misnomer - Mordremoth wasn't the jungle, but rather "all of his corruption" and this was an attribute of his Mind domain, allowing his mind to traverse and inhabit anything he corrupted, which was living plants (via his Plant domain). This is vast different case of a physical body phasing through solid material.

Not to mention the spawning of more Illusion beings (Green, blue, and Red) created by opening Rifts to bring the dead corrupted back which we know is most likely from Kralkatorrik due to him consuming Balthazar , the part of the Mist, and his power over Chaos Magic.

The red/blue/green hues are from the Lost Spirits. Not sure what you mean about bringing the dead corrupted back. The only case of "the dead coming back" is the corruption of souls via Fallen and Aberrants. As for the portals - we see the icebrood make portals since the core game, via "borrowing" powers from the Wolf Havroun; so those portals are also likely the Lost Spirits'.

We don't quite know if Jormag got any magic from Balthazar, and we haven't seen anything we can solidly classify as being from Kralkatorrik's magic (and same for Mordremoth's magic beyond the Unstable Abomination).

@"cptaylor.2670" said:The undead appearance could be from Zhaitan or from the hunger and Wolverine's influence. Wolverine's influence makes sense, as the Fraenir is the only other one I can recall immediately that looks deathly and decayed and isn't a boneskinner. But the Fraenir seems like it's really Zhaitan's influence.

- You can see a rib cage, and if you look closely at the model, there is a skull inside the block of ice.

- Image is wrong side, but the left side of the face is just a skull.

Icebrood corruption is well known to slowly have flesh and muscle replaced by ice, until all that's left is bone inside ice.

And Chaos Magic? I would have thought Chaos magic would have been Lyssa more than Balthazar.He's relating chaos to Kralkatorrik, a long standing and unproven theory that is part of the repeatedly failed attempts to 1:1 associate Elder Dragons's domains to the Six Gods' magic.

I never look closely enough in game and didn’t realize there were so many Icebrood with skeletal features. I only ever notice the ice constructs, normal norm svanir, and the griffins and Kodan and such. Always found it weird that the Icebrood norn looked like oak hearts. But maybe I’m getting confused or there are other variations? Especially when Kodan are pretty recognizable as kodan. I’ll have to pay more attention to some of these mobs. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Just a random thought based on the Meta Event where we fight him.Does he really move through solid ice though?During the meta event, when he burst out of the ground and attacks the shield, there is definetly something like water around him.When he retreats back into the ground after we break the breakbar that something like water freezes again.Could it be that drakkar simply is able to change the aggregate state of water (melt the ice, freeze the water)? And actually always has a bubble of water around him?

@"Ronan.9518" said:Just a random thought based on the Meta Event where we fight him.Does he really move through solid ice though?During the meta event, when he burst out of the ground and attacks the shield, there is definetly something like water around him.When he retreats back into the ground after we break the breakbar that something like water freezes again.Could it be that drakkar simply is able to change the aggregate state of water (melt the ice, freeze the water)? And actually always has a bubble of water around him?

Very plausible explanantion. I think it's an unimportant detail they leave for you to decide. As a magical fantasy game, it's not something that requires a logical explanation since "move through ice" is acceptable given the context, but the explanation you offer is the most likely should one be required.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:I never look closely enough in game and didn’t realize there were so many Icebrood with skeletal features. I only ever notice the ice constructs, normal norm svanir, and the griffins and Kodan and such. Always found it weird that the Icebrood norn looked like oak hearts. But maybe I’m getting confused or there are other variations? Especially when Kodan are pretty recognizable as kodan. I’ll have to pay more attention to some of these mobs. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

The oversized quadruped icebrood norn are meant to be "late stage" icebrood. The idea being that over time, icebrood corruption turns flesh into ice, and the longer they're icebrood, the more bestial and elemental they are. So the "oakheart icebrood", goliaths, and colossus are all "late-stage icebrood" in design, with goliaths and colossi being non-descript bipedal icebrood (could be norn, troll, or kodan, in other words). The icebrood that are "still recognizable" are early/mid-stage icebrood.

This is why in various events, icebrood norn and svanir shamans will transform into the "oakheart icebrood" and goliaths - like The Frozen Maw shaman turning into a goliath, or the three shamans of the Frostgorge southern meta turning into the quadrupedal icebrood.