In your opinion, is GW2 too hard? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

In your opinion, is GW2 too hard?

Comments

• Yes,GW2 is too hard. Too much challanging content.

I say it's too hard for new players needing to start from scratch. There's so much content and information, it would be overwhelming to a newbie if they discovered how much there truly was. GW2 takes dedication and many hundreds/thousands of hours to complete most of the expansion episodes and regular storylines, as well as achievements, etc.

For players who have stuck with the game for a while and have majority completed story-wise, and unlocking all mounts, it's not hard at all.

X Archangel X - Jujubaka - X Juca X - Zophielbee - M I C H A E L L - R A P H A E L L - Enochrist - "For the spoons!" - Tequatl

• ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020
    Too easy, not enough challanging content.

@BlackBullWings.2734 said:
    I remember HoT on release being the most intense PvE experience ever, people were dropping left and right, and that was a good thing. By now we've learned, and powercrept, add to that people complaining that it was "too hard" lol.

Since then the PvE world has been painfully simple. I know you have fractals and raids for challenging content, but feels to me that the open world suffers too much from how casual it is, when it could be doing amazing stuff. Path of Fire has awesome unique mobs, but I've barely ever had a situation (except from hydras), where I'm actively engaged with what the enemies are doing so I can properly play around it, something that heart of thorns did fantastically with their very readable, but deadly enemies.

HoT was pretty good. I remember being worried it was going to be night @ Verdant Brink. But it was fun and people had to work together and stuff.

Now with mounts you can just speed through everything with 0 thought. Who cares about the mobs? I'll just run through all of them. I'll just jump off a cliff with the mount; I won't die! I haven't even done most of PoF because I fall victim more to boredom.

• Too easy, not enough challanging content.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

HoT was pretty good. I remember being worried it was going to be night @ Verdant Brink. But it was fun and people had to work together and stuff.

Now with mounts you can just speed through everything with 0 thought. Who cares about the mobs? I'll just run through all of them. I'll just jump off a cliff with the mount; I won't die! I haven't even done most of PoF because I fall victim more to boredom.

PoF is a great exploration experience, I keep finding new little details every now and then. But I do agree that there's absolutely nothing to do afterwards. No meaningful/interesting events. They don't need to be crazy meta events or anything, but the ones that do exist are pretty mediocre at best.

Also yes, mounts destroy the HoT experience, they weren't meant to be used there clearly. But they are also so OP. It's already crazy that you can mount instantly, but then you get to add a mini nuke with strong CC to your dps rotation, the latter is a bit too much imo.

• It's not too hard or too easy. It's right. There's a decent balance between hard and easy content.

@Caitybee.3614 said:
    I say it's too hard for new players needing to start from scratch. There's so much content and information, it would be overwhelming to a newbie if they discovered how much there truly was. GW2 takes dedication and many hundreds/thousands of hours to complete most of the expansion episodes and regular storylines, as well as achievements, etc.

For players who have stuck with the game for a while and have majority completed story-wise, and unlocking all mounts, it's not hard at all.

Mm, having too much content is a luxury not a sign of difficulty. The trick to not bring overwhelmed is to just enjoy the journey rather than trying to learn everything at once or be an expert ASAP.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• titje.2745titje.2745 Member ✭✭✭
    Yes,GW2 is too hard. Too much challanging content.

it’s too hard to make enough gold, so you don’t have to spend real money.
    there are so much nice items in store but for poor ppl (and new players) it’s no fun at all if you never can buy something without spending real money on gems. market is broken and items where i made nice gold with are so low right now. AND gems with gold increased. so you earn less gold and have to spend more on the same gems as few years ago. i am not online so much anymore. it’s just frustration. you see ppl on youtube that gamble away few hundreds gold. and rng is bad everywhere, no easy gold in this game (except if you have skills for fractals) but for me fractals are frustrating too. you see infusions, charr helmed, invisible shoes and many more expensive items which never drop. it’s just for ppl to spend real cash on gems because they never can buy it normal way. and yes you can make enough gold, just by wasting life and play 24/7. but going work and gym is better then gold farm. for me.
    sometimes i read forum that someone spend 20+ euro on keys and only get trash loot, if this is the normal way to earn money from players i think it’s not fair. normally you want the best for customers and not only their money. the last 2 livings seasons i didn’t play much. i thought let’s try new strike mission for maybe easy gold. but after kill i can’t open the chest. i am forced to do other things before i can loot. i want to do what i like and don’t want to be forced for something. same for story and the scroll. bad design in my opinion. normal way is: create something that players like and so ppl will play it because it’s awesome. BUT don’t create trash and force ppl to play it because you think it’s good.

• fixit.7189fixit.7189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020
    It's not too hard or too easy. It's right. There's a decent balance between hard and easy content.

@Asum.4960 said:n to that is more, and more punishing, breakbars and such across the game. Not to get rid of them/hide them away in designated "challenging content" for people to hit a brickwall on, and make everything else a walking simulator, because player's can't be expected to know base game mechanics in max level post expansion content.

i think break bars are dumb. why? b/c there is no feel for the impact of it. i hit my cc ability and that bar doesn't even move b/c i didn't, apparently, use the right one. or for that matter, have one that actually does something if i am playing a prof/build that barely has any if at all. also, with more players, some of these break bars scale to insane levels. with a few people, it breaks pretty easy, in a massive group event it feels like i am literally doing nothing to it. there is no..impact if you will. it's just, lame. not like other mmos where i hit a cc ability and immedietly know it works: not so here.

edit. my idea is to simplify this system by giving every proff a special action button whos only purpose is to deal with BBs. no dps, no cc, just pops up when BB appears thus there will be absolutely no confusion on what to do. just an idea.

• @BlackBullWings.2734 said:
    I remember HoT on release being the most intense PvE experience ever, people were dropping left and right, and that was a good thing. By now we've learned, and powercrept, add to that people complaining that it was "too hard" lol.

Since then the PvE world has been painfully simple. I know you have fractals and raids for challenging content, but feels to me that the open world suffers too much from how casual it is, when it could be doing amazing stuff. Path of Fire has awesome unique mobs, but I've barely ever had a situation (except from hydras), where I'm actively engaged with what the enemies are doing so I can properly play around it, something that heart of thorns did fantastically with their very readable, but deadly enemies.

hot was a disaster, its a major reason for this games current situation. they can only keep it alive, by giving obscene amounts of loot.
    many of my friends simply dont believe how much loot you can farm there, over 200 shinies in one go.
    anyone , who knows the basics of economy, can see that it is only a matter of time, before the bubble bursts
    and this was the game, that wouldnt force people to farm and grind...lol

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

@fixit.7189 said:

@Asum.4960 said:n to that is more, and more punishing, breakbars and such across the game. Not to get rid of them/hide them away in designated "challenging content" for people to hit a brickwall on, and make everything else a walking simulator, because player's can't be expected to know base game mechanics in max level post expansion content.

i think break bars are dumb. why? b/c there is no feel for the impact of it. i hit my cc ability and that bar doesn't even move b/c i didn't, apparently, use the right one. or for that matter, have one that actually does something if i am playing a prof/build that barely has any if at all. also, with more players, some of these break bars scale to insane levels. with a few people, it breaks pretty easy, in a massive group event it feels like i am literally doing nothing to it. there is no..impact if you will. it's just, lame. not like other mmos where i hit a cc ability and immedietly know it works: not so here.

Any CC, soft or hard, moves the breakbar when active (blue), there is no right or wrong CC.
    As for the impact of it, I agree to some extend, but once again that comes down to, at least partially, difficulty. Just throwing in breakbars randomly you might as well ignore or can't reasonably break anyway does a huge disservice to the game, essentially teaching players to ignore them.
    What the game needs is properly punishing mechanics, with tanky enough mobs (so you can't instantly kill them anyway ignoring the breakbar) with devastating channelled attacks or charged up nukes which you need to interrupt via breaking the defiance bar, actually teaching players the game mechanics throughout normal gameplay semi regularly.

As for the issue with more players scaling up break bars (and HP for that matter), that imo isn't really a game problem in of itself, but a symptom of this whole mess.
    The more players are present in open world, the higher becomes the ratio of incompetent players. It's not that these breakbars scale way too much (at least usually), it's just that a breakbar scaled for 1-3 players breaks instantly under the CC of those 1-3 competent players in a satisfying way, but a breakbar scaled to 20 players, still only sees those 1-3 competent players using their CC, with maybe 2-5 more players randomly using one off-cool down ability "by accident", meaning you still lack the CC of 10+ players who should be contributing, but aren't.

That's why increased difficulty outside of specific instances like Raids, so everybody learns those base mechanics by stumbling across them a few times, is important.

It's the same with HP really. If you are a highly proficient player, it's something you will notice a lot when doing open world stuff, when you solo a champion in seconds alone and have a good time, but when you try it again with other open world only players joining you, it suddenly takes easily 3-10 times as long and becomes an unfun chore, because they scale the HP up more than they are contributing damage.
    Currently, having other players join you in GW2 actively makes the game less fun (for competent players), simply due to how low the average skill level of players is in combination with the dynamic scaling mechanic. Imo the real issue is the former, not the latter though.

The solution to that can't be to ever make the game easier though, in the process making the game worse and worse for those who know how to play it, but to raise the bar of the average player by incentivising improvement by slowly increasing the difficulty, and not resorting to content nerfs every time a few players struggle a little so they don't have to learn anything.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think the majority of core game is designed with the idea of play how you want to and so that content needs to be beatable no matter what a person used even while playing in a solo situation which is why early on the game was considered to be easy with no endgame content.

In came HoT which produced content that was for most professions was not solo playable by any means especially with just any build. Even now players struggle to solo some of the masteries in HoT with very specific builds and a understanding on how to play the profession of their choice. The content was built to be played with other players which lead people to calling it too hard.

In came PoF which i think made alot of trips going back and forth between the ease of core game play and HoT gameplay in terms of difficulty.

Now we are into the icebrood saga and for the most part of the content we have seen so far its mainly just like the core game you can pick any thing and go into this content and clear it most of it has minimal difficulty to it which at this point in the games age people expect.
    The few thigns that do have moderate to high difficulty (some strike missions depending on if pugging or not) dont even give good enough rewards which is not encourage players to actively do them. The Grothmar strike was easy and has high potential in reward while the other two from what ive seen so far offer no spicy rewards despite the difficulty slowly scaling up.

Overall i think the game is currently catoring to new players and the play how you want to playstyle for the most part and its not content thats going to keep veteran players interested because its too easy.

In anets recent post they talked about going forward with living world content similar to back when scarlet was doing her things around the world which was difficult content at the time and it was some of the most fun content that the core game had to offer at the time. I would like to see more of that going forward. If you fail something difficult enough to make you want to beat it you will continue to play it if something is an easy wash it feels more like a waste of time to go do it. Balance this pls.

• Bassdeff.1895Bassdeff.1895 Member ✭✭✭
    It's not too hard or too easy. It's right. There's a decent balance between hard and easy content.

@titje.2745 said:
    it’s too hard to make enough gold, so you don’t have to spend real money.
    there are so much nice items in store but for poor ppl (and new players) it’s no fun at all if you never can buy something without spending real money on gems. market is broken and items where i made nice gold with are so low right now. AND gems with gold increased. so you earn less gold and have to spend more on the same gems as few years ago. i am not online so much anymore. it’s just frustration. you see ppl on youtube that gamble away few hundreds gold. and rng is bad everywhere, no easy gold in this game (except if you have skills for fractals) but for me fractals are frustrating too. you see infusions, charr helmed, invisible shoes and many more expensive items which never drop. it’s just for ppl to spend real cash on gems because they never can buy it normal way. and yes you can make enough gold, just by wasting life and play 24/7. but going work and gym is better then gold farm. for me.
    sometimes i read forum that someone spend 20+ euro on keys and only get trash loot, if this is the normal way to earn money from players i think it’s not fair. normally you want the best for customers and not only their money. the last 2 livings seasons i didn’t play much. i thought let’s try new strike mission for maybe easy gold. but after kill i can’t open the chest. i am forced to do other things before i can loot. i want to do what i like and don’t want to be forced for something. same for story and the scroll. bad design in my opinion. normal way is: create something that players like and so ppl will play it because it’s awesome. BUT don’t create trash and force ppl to play it because you think it’s good.

GW2 has one of the healthiest game economies I have ever seen. Markets aren't static, they evolve according to supply and demand. Sure some past money makers and flipping aren't as profitable or even viable anymore but there are plenty of opportunities to make some gold if you go looking. RNG is atrocious and anyone wasting RL money on keys is an idiot that deserves to be departed from his money.

I agree that locking rewards behind masteries is kitten design but they only take a 3 to 4 hours to unlock if you follow the guides. Here's a tip speed up the process, do the leveling part in Grothmar. You get way more XP per hour than in Bjora. We all have to do things we hate doing in order to benefit in other parts of the game. I personally hate the whole mastery grind. I hated it in HoT and still Hate it today but I sucked it up and did them anyway.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

Neither of the options is true. In fact, the game is both too easy and too hard at the same time. There's either very easy content, or content that's supposed to challenge better players (although the skill difference gap means, that for some top players even that content is very easy), but there's practically nothing in the middle.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• fixit.7189fixit.7189 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

@kratan.4619 said:
    I love the current difficulty of the game. I do not need to spend time looking up builds/strats to play the open world. For those that want harder content go solo dungeons etc. the harder content is there just for you. Leave open world as is, I have done 42 world completions because it is relaxing and I do not need to be on the top of my game at every moment. I can just relax and enjoy. I will reserve my need for challenge to real life where it actually benefits me.

this. there is already raids, fractals, and high end pvp for the 'pro' players to test themselves so there is no reason to apply this to open world. games are supposed to be fun, not a job. i mean look at strikes...my bet is, the majority of people can't even be bothered: lfg reflects this with barely any groups at all. clearly, this sort of content isn't popular nor attractive to most players and i feel it's just a waste of resources in an attempt to force people to do them. i mean, i play gw2 to escape raids in the first place.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Asum.4960 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:
    the hard stuff does get the better end of the stick but that's to be expected, i do think they could slow down the game a bit so the hard parts (meta's, raids, strikes) don't get the highest priority while the RPG part is wasted.

I see this narrative being pushed in this community since years and I really don't understand where it's coming from.
    Extremely casual content with living world has consistently been pushed out and been focused by Arenanet, while the hardcore content has been withering away on the sidelines since years without enough content to sustain a large player base, be it no Fractal CM's in 3 years, no normal Fractal in over 1 year, or no new Raid in 8 months, and counting.
    The hardcore community has been starved for so long, it's been dying a slow death since years while watching constant LW releases go by without even a bone thrown to them.

i see meta's as hardcore content, as such that has bin forced trough our throats for years now.
    i actually love to see a place where something significant can be gained without even a single meta event to be found, one of the reasons why i absolutely hate dragonfall is because it's heavily relying on meta's while pretty much torturing any casual.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

Pretty much anything that isn't vs another player is ridiculously easy.

• Bassdeff.1895Bassdeff.1895 Member ✭✭✭

@fixit.7189 said:

@kratan.4619 said:
    I love the current difficulty of the game. I do not need to spend time looking up builds/strats to play the open world. For those that want harder content go solo dungeons etc. the harder content is there just for you. Leave open world as is, I have done 42 world completions because it is relaxing and I do not need to be on the top of my game at every moment. I can just relax and enjoy. I will reserve my need for challenge to real life where it actually benefits me.

this. there is already raids, fractals, and high end pvp for the 'pro' players to test themselves so there is no reason to apply this to open world. games are supposed to be fun, not a job. i mean look at strikes...my bet is, the majority of people can't even be bothered: lfg reflects this with barely any groups at all. clearly, this sort of content isn't popular nor attractive to most players and i feel it's just a waste of resources in an attempt to force people to do them. i mean, i play gw2 to escape raids in the first place.

It's funny cause I see LFGs for strikes (along with raids, fractal CM) every evening when I play. I know guilds, who don't need LFG, that do them regularly, I'm a member in 3 of them. Nobody is forcing you to play them. If you don't find it fun then don't do it but the metrics must say that there is a large enough population wanting this type of content because Anet is spending resources to put it in the game.
    So what if there is some achievement or shiny locked behind them. Personally, I hate mapping, I find renown hearts to be some of the dumbest content to ever exist ever and I get a little hint of nausea just thinking about it. That is the reason why I will probably never craft a gen1 legendary. Do I feel left out? maybe a little . I sure wish that they weren't locked behind such and long and tedious task but I just accept the fact that not everything in the game is catered to me and that there are some things that I will never achieve.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2020

Like everything else about this game's content, the difficulty is inconsistent as well. For a while, it was challenging enough, then the difficulty curve suddenly dropped back to toddler mode.

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

Raids are too hard, the rest is fine.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:
    I can go afk on my ranger and come back to find that, without a single ounce of effort on my part, I have earned gold in events that spawned on top of me. It doesnt get much easier than succeeding with zero effort.

Yeah, that's against the ToS, so....

Nope.

It is not against the ToS to have to go to the door to pick up an Amazon package, or to the bathroom, etc. The pizza guy seems to purposefully time his arrival to coincide with in game events.

• Asum.4960Asum.4960 Member ✭✭✭✭

@sorudo.9054 said:

@Asum.4960 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:
    the hard stuff does get the better end of the stick but that's to be expected, i do think they could slow down the game a bit so the hard parts (meta's, raids, strikes) don't get the highest priority while the RPG part is wasted.

I see this narrative being pushed in this community since years and I really don't understand where it's coming from.
    Extremely casual content with living world has consistently been pushed out and been focused by Arenanet, while the hardcore content has been withering away on the sidelines since years without enough content to sustain a large player base, be it no Fractal CM's in 3 years, no normal Fractal in over 1 year, or no new Raid in 8 months, and counting.
    The hardcore community has been starved for so long, it's been dying a slow death since years while watching constant LW releases go by without even a bone thrown to them.

i see meta's as hardcore content, as such that has bin forced trough our throats for years now.
    i actually love to see a place where something significant can be gained without even a single meta event to be found, one of the reasons why i absolutely hate dragonfall is because it's heavily relying on meta's while pretty much torturing any casual.

I see. I suppose I can see that from a certain point of view.
    In my eyes metas have always been incredibly casual zerg fests with nauseatingly low framerates almost forcing players to just run around in some mindless swarm, auto attacking, where personal contribution doesn't matter at all.
    On the other hand, I can see it being more stressful in a way than roaming around the world solo without having to commit to anything, pressing F on things and such, ofc.

The beauty of hardcore content for me has always been that what you do actually matters though, where personal contribution and improvement directly impacts the moment to moment gameplay and decides over the success or failure of both oneself and the group for group content, which to me personally makes for a lot more satisfying and rewarding gameplay.
    Ofc that is not for everyone and not all the time. But I know a lot of people desperately have been missing interesting and properly facilitated solo and small scale (1-3 players) challenging and rewarding content in the game for them and their friends to enjoy for years now.

What I personally would like to see is less zergy events one needs to commit to for a while as well and instead rather have more challenging areas for solo and small group play in maps, where mobs have more health, more intricate mechanics (such as breakbars, threatening attacks with clear tells, etc.) and better AI for higher rewards.
    Think Bitterfrost Frontier's The Bitter Cold area, except larger, actually hard and rewarding and less contrived to get to, but clearly indicated as the non beach vacation area of the map (and maybe even possible to open as private or guild instance, possibly with a further hard mode and Vanquishing akin to GW1) for those seeking proper gameplay with mobs fighting back to figure out and beat, specifically designed to be inconvenient to just zerg down.

That could be some fresh air from both either pressing F on bushes and oneshotting mobs or rolling around mindlessly in a giant zerg.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭✭

The content is enormous and very varied, with all possible level of difficulties. Combined with the many different approaches possible for same activity, that we can chose depending on way to play, I believe we are all well served.

My impression based on what I witness every day: The game is old. Veteran players are mixed with newbies. Many newbies want to have same than what veterans have. But... What veterans have, it wasn't within one day. They are since long in the game and it came over time. It's not possible to get it straight.
    The game is a RPG. We're meant to progress over time and it's not really compatible with rushing. So, for the newbies who want to push it faster than it should go, there is of course a feeling: 1) that they grind and 2) that some content is too hard.
    Don't misunderstand me: I don't tell it's wrong. Each is entirely free to play the way he wants. However, when someone is intentionally choosing to push, then it means grinding and encountering difficulties for which he/she is not ready (equipment, classes, experience...). Can't be helped.

Leading Team of Equinox Solstice [TIME] / Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    WvW server: Henge of Denravi
    https://discord.gg/P5dj7fd

• Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭

Yes its why i quit..
    I now play Star Wars the old republic and they get my money instead.. because its a lot more casual and way less twitch mechanics. Just saying

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashen.2907 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:
    I can go afk on my ranger and come back to find that, without a single ounce of effort on my part, I have earned gold in events that spawned on top of me. It doesnt get much easier than succeeding with zero effort.

Nope.

It is not against the ToS to have to go to the door to pick up an Amazon package, or to the bathroom, etc. The pizza guy seems to purposefully time his arrival to coincide with in game events.

Good luck with that.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Most of it is fine... but they you have the stupid instanced events and missions in the crappy Living World series. I made the mistake of finishing the Kourna / Palawa Joko kitten just now and spent the whole time shouting at the screen because it is kitten, uses really cheap tactics and is boring as hell.

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭

For years, games developers have stated that the ideal game is easy to learn but difficult to master. Sadly, I have to say that I believe GW2 is HARD to learn and nigh impossible to master - because regardless of how much you play it, (in competitive modes) you still need the reactions of an alleycat, incredible foresight, knowledge of every class and ability in the game and how to counter or avoid it. Call that "Skilled play" if you like, but for me that's the whole point. Those aren't things that you just pick up by dint of playtime alone - this is why lots of perfetly adequate WvW players are just kitten at the combat. It's simply too difficult for most players.

Thief OP? Better nerf Scourge ... again.
    Hashtag BlameMcLain

This is a trick question, while I think there is some content that is way too hard (raids) the rest of the game is way too easy, I mean fractals could have given us some challenge the problem is that they force you to start on the lowest levels and by the time you got to the harder parts you already know how to do them by heart so it's still easy. the open world is very easy. maybe the strikes are a good step forward, you can die but you can learn the mechanics and eventually finish it. I have never had any issue doing open world content, it was always too easy, maybe if there is no one around it get's a bit harder.

• Zok.4956Zok.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Amaranthe.3578 said:
    Either way if you don't understand your build there's no point playing a RPG.

This may be shocking news for you: In the old days before the megaservers, there were a lot of players role-playing in GW2, and they did it even without fighting. And a role-player would probably ask "is staff the appropriate weapon for my ele" but not "how much dps can I make with a staff". At that time, role-players in GW2 usually did not mean DPS, healer, tank, support, etc. when they talked about roles.

https://www.gw2gh.com/ - A GW2-Guild-Hall.
    Register and check your guild leaderboard to see who is the best in your guild and who finished achievements first.

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭

Let me explain. I know multiple people about to quit over making strike missions part of the area achievement. It is simply to hard for them. I have heard a lot of complaints about Drakka as well. My fiance hates it.

I raid, but if my fiance quits because the things they use to enjoy are locked behind new harder content, I will go where my fiance goes and that will create a ripple affect.

I seldom struggle with anything in this game. Could do with raising the bar but that isn't something ArenaNet is comfortable doing.

My Wiki Profile
    Honorary Seraph Captain
    Guardian Expert

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2020

I rarely see events with blob fail... cause blob and 111111 is all that matters.

I would bosses have weak mechanics and weird improvements .

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Josiah.2967 said:
    I have heard a lot of complaints about Drakkar as well.

I'm seeing entirely too many failures on this boss. It's still a boring meat-sack that, if not down to 25% in the first 5 minutes or so, is pointless to continue.
    Which is a horrible feeling for a half-hour encounter that shows up once every two hours.

The boss isn't hard, it's just a statistical HP-sponge for no reason.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:
    I have heard a lot of complaints about Drakkar as well.

I'm seeing entirely too many failures on this boss. It's still a boring meat-sack that, if not down to 25% in the first 5 minutes or so, is pointless to continue.
    Which is a horrible feeling for a half-hour encounter that shows up once every two hours.

The boss isn't hard, it's just a statistical HP-sponge for no reason.

As we used to call gw2 bosses back in 2012-2014. Gifs with huge health pool...

Great animations with tons of health and nothing more.

I think PvE can stand to be a bit more punishing tbh. There is something to be said for making players have to actually think about a build or an mob even in open world content. I remember the initial frustration in GW1 when party wiping right out of a gate into the world because I pulled too much hate at once, but it felt ten times better once I learned how to tackle that content as well. I'm not saying there needs to be a huge ramp up on the lower level maps, but a slight noticeable increase to the PvE difficulty could help stop the "shut off my brain and roll through this area" that has plagued this game for forever now. It might make people less apprehensive to do raids, etc later on.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    Considering that MMOs these days tend to house more casual players than ever before, I think this will be detrimental to the player base. An increase in difficulty doesn't result in people taking up the challenge, but rather complain about it and then avoid the content if it doesn't change or leave the game entirely.

What GW1 had was companions that could do a lot of the work for you and a character build system that was far easier to understand for players. I think that before talking about harder content, they need to look at how to get casual players on board first. And I think you'll agree that a lot of people have sucky builds and don't use their characters to the fullest or anywhere near it, but that's the bigger problem I think that needs to be addressed first. Not by making content harder but by making the character build aspects more transparent and direct. Personally my eyes already start rolling when I see durations of skills of 1.25 seconds...I mean really? Micromanagement to the hundredth of seconds is not for casual oriented players. And there really is too much going with this system for most people I suspect.

I keep referring to it but Andrew Gray, in a sticky here, said that raids only attract a small group of players. So that tells me that the amount of people who really are interested in more challenging content cannot be that big. I'm sure there may be some open worlders that would like a bit more challenge but for any one of those you can probably find ten who don't want that. And so it makes more sense to look at why that is. Why do so many players have crappy builds and use mostly skill 1?

My point is that the tools that players have been given to create their character builds are too confusing and intricate for a lot of people. I'm sure that more hardcore players find these things easy and enjoy how it works, but I've got the distinct feeling that those people are not the majority... by far.

And though in other MMOs I've raided quite a bit, I don't here and joined the casual crowd. I don't like how it works here and I think that GW1 in that respect had a far superior set up because it was much simpler and more direct in how it worked but still allowed for a lot of variation and discovery of what worked and what didn't. And it made it easier for casual players to follow that. But the game was also based in instanced zones and structured groups, including heroes/mercenaries. GW2 is set up entirely differently but as much as that has certain advantages it also has downsides. In GW1 you could have normal zones and Hard Mode zones. In GW2 you have one type of zone that has to work for casuals and hardcore players alike. Not saying it's impossible to do that but let's say they certainly have been struggling with it from the start and it's not been resolved so far.

My guess is that if they raised the overall difficulty of open world, it will chase a good amount of casual players away. You might like that until the day the game shuts down due to a lack of players. So I'd rather make it easier for casual players to have better builds and use more skills. At the moment some people might think it's easy enough, but I don't think it is or we would see fewer sucky builds. It's better to let people raise themselves up easier than set higher expectations for them. That used to work 15-20 years ago. Times have changed I think.

I agree to an extent regarding what could be addressed by Anet, but I think that part of the problem here is that there are so many players that simply hit one over and over while on cruddy builds because Anet breeds that behavior from day one in the game. If all you get from the core game (and i mean from level 1 to level 80 and fighting Zhaitan) is a game that can be "beaten" on a ranger using pet command skills (WP did a whole series doing just this), that is a major problem. It means there is literally zero reason to ever learn how to build or play your character even moderately well. Then when they get into HoT content that might be a bit more punishing, they don't have the toolset to do it well, and more-so feel that end game content like fractals and raids are way out of their league, and they aren't completely wrong since that stuff is geared toward people that wanted harder content to begin with. While i personally don't do raids, its not because its inherently difficult (especially once a meta is established), but because it relies almost entirely on a meta and is only hard if the group doing it doesn't know what they are doing.

No, what I was suggesting was making the PvE experience more meaningful from day one. If I go to a part of the map that is two levels above my current level, I want to feel that. I want there to be a reason to kite and dodge even at early levels. Make me have to pull an enemy or allow me to use more than just my one or two skill. Roflstomping the spiders in the orchard at level 3 shouldn't be a nothing burger. I should worry about pulling 3 or more spiders/bats at that point, but I don't. I'm not calling for things in these areas to kill new players in frustrating ways, but they need to have more impact than just being a spot to quickly grab xp to rocket me to level 10. I remember when the game first dropped and my wife and I were exploring and happened to go to the garrison on our level 4 toons. Some level 6 centaurs rolled up on us and made us rethink blindly running out into that field where they could CC and really hurt us. We had to regroup and really watch how we fought in that area, but we in turn learned a bit more about our skills and more importantly how to fight harder enemies.

If we are saying , however, that PvE needs to stay they bastion of the uber casual that doesn't have to even try to learn their class well or barely learn them, then we can't be surprised that the number of people bored with the game or unwilling to try the endgame content due to actual difficulty is so much larger than those of us that enjoy more challenging content.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    Considering that MMOs these days tend to house more casual players than ever before, I think this will be detrimental to the player base. An increase in difficulty doesn't result in people taking up the challenge, but rather complain about it and then avoid the content if it doesn't change or leave the game entirely.

What GW1 had was companions that could do a lot of the work for you and a character build system that was far easier to understand for players. I think that before talking about harder content, they need to look at how to get casual players on board first. And I think you'll agree that a lot of people have sucky builds and don't use their characters to the fullest or anywhere near it, but that's the bigger problem I think that needs to be addressed first. Not by making content harder but by making the character build aspects more transparent and direct. Personally my eyes already start rolling when I see durations of skills of 1.25 seconds...I mean really? Micromanagement to the hundredth of seconds is not for casual oriented players. And there really is too much going with this system for most people I suspect.

I keep referring to it but Andrew Gray, in a sticky here, said that raids only attract a small group of players. So that tells me that the amount of people who really are interested in more challenging content cannot be that big. I'm sure there may be some open worlders that would like a bit more challenge but for any one of those you can probably find ten who don't want that. And so it makes more sense to look at why that is. Why do so many players have crappy builds and use mostly skill 1?

My point is that the tools that players have been given to create their character builds are too confusing and intricate for a lot of people. I'm sure that more hardcore players find these things easy and enjoy how it works, but I've got the distinct feeling that those people are not the majority... by far.

And though in other MMOs I've raided quite a bit, I don't here and joined the casual crowd. I don't like how it works here and I think that GW1 in that respect had a far superior set up because it was much simpler and more direct in how it worked but still allowed for a lot of variation and discovery of what worked and what didn't. And it made it easier for casual players to follow that. But the game was also based in instanced zones and structured groups, including heroes/mercenaries. GW2 is set up entirely differently but as much as that has certain advantages it also has downsides. In GW1 you could have normal zones and Hard Mode zones. In GW2 you have one type of zone that has to work for casuals and hardcore players alike. Not saying it's impossible to do that but let's say they certainly have been struggling with it from the start and it's not been resolved so far.

My guess is that if they raised the overall difficulty of open world, it will chase a good amount of casual players away. You might like that until the day the game shuts down due to a lack of players. So I'd rather make it easier for casual players to have better builds and use more skills. At the moment some people might think it's easy enough, but I don't think it is or we would see fewer sucky builds. It's better to let people raise themselves up easier than set higher expectations for them. That used to work 15-20 years ago. Times have changed I think.

I agree to an extent regarding what could be addressed by Anet, but I think that part of the problem here is that there are so many players that simply hit one over and over while on cruddy builds because Anet breeds that behavior from day one in the game. If all you get from the core game (and i mean from level 1 to level 80 and fighting Zhaitan) is a game that can be "beaten" on a ranger using pet command skills (WP did a whole series doing just this), that is a major problem. It means there is literally zero reason to ever learn how to build or play your character even moderately well. Then when they get into HoT content that might be a bit more punishing, they don't have the toolset to do it well, and more-so feel that end game content like fractals and raids are way out of their league, and they aren't completely wrong since that stuff is geared toward people that wanted harder content to begin with. While i personally don't do raids, its not because its inherently difficult (especially once a meta is established), but because it relies almost entirely on a meta and is only hard if the group doing it doesn't know what they are doing.

No, what I was suggesting was making the PvE experience more meaningful from day one. If I go to a part of the map that is two levels above my current level, I want to feel that. I want there to be a reason to kite and dodge even at early levels. Make me have to pull an enemy or allow me to use more than just my one or two skill. Roflstomping the spiders in the orchard at level 3 shouldn't be a nothing burger. I should worry about pulling 3 or more spiders/bats at that point, but I don't. I'm not calling for things in these areas to kill new players in frustrating ways, but they need to have more impact than just being a spot to quickly grab xp to rocket me to level 10. I remember when the game first dropped and my wife and I were exploring and happened to go to the garrison on our level 4 toons. Some level 6 centaurs rolled up on us and made us rethink blindly running out into that field where they could CC and really hurt us. We had to regroup and really watch how we fought in that area, but we in turn learned a bit more about our skills and more importantly how to fight harder enemies.

If we are saying , however, that PvE needs to stay they bastion of the uber casual that doesn't have to even try to learn their class well or barely learn them, then we can't be surprised that the number of people bored with the game or unwilling to try the endgame content due to actual difficulty is so much larger than those of us that enjoy more challenging content.

Yeah I get what you're saying and I think we essentially agree. The slight difference in my views is perhaps that I think that making content harder at this point in the game will not have the desired effect, nor doing things like Strike Missions. Personally I feel that the character building needs to be made more accessible so more players will at least have decent builds that they feel they have some control over. That then allows content difficulty to go up a notch because the gap will be closer.

I think that if ArenaNet want to just add medium content as a stepping stone, they are forgetting that the first stepping stone is character builds and not difficulty. There was a time when difficulty was seen as a challenge to overcome by most players in a game. Now it's an annoyance that people don't want to deal with cause it costs effort and they just want to have fun. My situation is different in the sense that I've done endgame raiding in other games but I don't like how character builds work here and so I don't engage in it cause I frankly don't want to raid if I don't like how characters play. That's why I prefer being casual and making builds with weapons I like rather than the best choices. I could do better but as I find the way traits, skill sets, stats sets etc are handled in GW2 boring and restrictive, I chose to be casual here....though I do still put some thought in it and use a lot more than skill 1 :)

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    Personally I feel that the character building needs to be made more accessible so more players will at least have decent builds that they feel they have some control over. That then allows content difficulty to go up a notch because the gap will be closer.

For that, Anet would need to severely reduce player choice in stat/traits/skills selection. Or make those choices far less relevant.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

I only say too hard from my experience, which is not much.
    I'm still fairly new so I'm working towards completing the living story, still on season 4 so I haven't done any of the newer stuff yet. However, it seems that in every single instance there is at least 1 battle or feature that gets me killed or reset dozens of times. I'm a suuuper casual player and I'm really enjoying the story, but it's hard to enjoy it when I'm on the verge of closing the whole game during every single chapter out of frustration. Admittedly the fault is on my end, because I have absolutely TERRIBLE ping and there's nothing I can really do about it. Because of that, I'm just kinda screwed in terms of timing, which is basically a necessity in PvE. Other than that I just kinda suck at combat LOL.
    I do genuinely love this game and I know the majority of people breeze through it like a feather, but in my personal experience it's too hard to even get through the living story-- in fact I almost always ignore the achievements because there's no way I can complete them.
    I've never done any raids or fractals... whatever those even are... and based on some of the replies I've seen I don't think I'll be set to try them any time soon with the way this game is going for me LOL
    Another thing in regards to the difficulty of this game is some of the ridiculous requirements for unlocking things. My main example right now would be the Griffon. By now most people are done with the Elon Riverlands, however there is some group event that I have to do to complete part of the collection. The thing is, I can never find anyone to help me get through it since everyone is past this stage of the game. I've given up on trying to get the Griffon for the time being because of that, and also because of the price, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon.
    I'm not looking for replies telling me to "get good" or to tell me why I'm wrong, I'm just telling it as it is for me. Like I said, I love this game. I don't see myself leaving any time soon, I feel too far in to stop now haha. This is the first real MMO that I've played so it kind of feels like home to me in a way. I just wish there was at least a difficulty option for living world since the game is very unforgiving towards my ping issues. Yes the game is too hard FOR ME, hence the title of the thread is asking for my opinion. I'm aware it is cake for like 90% of its players, but I just happen to be in that bottom 10%.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AquarIan Z.4351 said:

Another thing in regards to the difficulty of this game is some of the ridiculous requirements for unlocking things. My main example right now would be the Griffon. By now most people are done with the Elon Riverlands, however there is some group event that I have to do to complete part of the collection. The thing is, I can never find anyone to help me get through it since everyone is past this stage of the game. I've given up on trying to get the Griffon for the time being because of that, and also because of the price, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon.

Ask for help, especially when the dailies cycle into Elon.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Good idea, I'll have to keep my eye out for that. To be honest I (VERY recently) realized the importance of doing dailies, so that's definitely my bad. Thank you for the advice!

I would have NEVER played this game if I knew it was so full of jumping puzzles. After the last update that is so full of bugs it is making other games look good. I certainly am not spending nay more money on this game which depends on jumping puzzles and repeat 20 times for an achievement. Those who wanted it harder probably already had their achievements and wanted it harder for others.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    Personally I feel that the character building needs to be made more accessible so more players will at least have decent builds that they feel they have some control over. That then allows content difficulty to go up a notch because the gap will be closer.

For that, Anet would need to severely reduce player choice in stat/traits/skills selection. Or make those choices far less relevant.

I think that some reduction in choice but also clearer choices when it comes to traits and such and weapon choice being less relevant would be involved yes. Otherwise you'll never get a lot of people on board in the matter of improving.

So people need to either accept that there will be a big gap between casual players and more hardcore players and accept open world content will be easy or things need to change so more people are willing to get on board in getting better. But some people will likely not be happy with those changes.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@AquarIan Z.4351 said:

Ask for help and use mentor tag (arrow icon in the upper left corner of your UI). If I need help with anything I just put on mentor tag and people come. If you also ask in /map you will get people for sure.
    The only step in the Griffon collection that might need some more organisation is the Facet bounty but for that one you have legendary bounty trains that are active pretty much all the time. You can also ask commander if he will do Facet and I'm sure you will get it soon. I got legendary achiv way before all the champ ones. And for the champs I just put on mentor tags and done them almost without fail. Helps if there is a daily bounty on that map.

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2020

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    I agree to an extent regarding what could be addressed by Anet, but I think that part of the problem here is that there are so many players that simply hit one over and over while on cruddy builds because Anet breeds that behavior from day one in the game.

Honest question: WHY is that a problem? If the game is designed for those players and that's how those players play it ... what is actually the problem?

Let's be clear. It's not the players that decide what kind of game this is, it's Anet. Either by luck or by intent, Anet created a game (at the beginning at least) that appealed to significant number of people, enough to make a go of this game for a long time. Allowing people to faceroll 1111111 WAS part of that formula.

Maybe people have baggage from other MMOs or their own ideas of what should be ... but the easy play IS part of what made GW2 successful. Clearly, that appealed to more people than what many other people's own ideas of what the game should be actually is. So either those ideas are missing something, or other parts of the game were SO good that people suffered the 11111111 to play it. I'm thinking it's the former because frankly, GW2 game immersion and story is typical and predictable.

Do not underestimate the desire for soccer parents with more money than time to fund a game they can only play a few hours a week with their '1' key.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

Story is too easy. and open world.

Sadly players that won't bother to change their playstyle according to the encounter complain so much anet nerfs them till its all a 1 1 1 1 snoozefest

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:

Nope.

Good luck with that.

No luck necessary.