Which pet will you main in soulbeast after patch? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Which pet will you main in soulbeast after patch?

For me its smokescale in PvP and for my double shortbow PvE build its either lynx, or bristleback if I plan to stay merged permenantly.

What about yours?

Comments

  • Pets will be the same as always in Pvp.

    Smokescale
    Siamoth
    Gazelle
    Owl
    Raven
    Electric Wyvern

  • If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

    Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

    Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

  • what about black bear
    cmon guys

    Te lazla otstara.

  • Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I use Smoke and Elec Wyvern in PvE for Damage and CC, so that's not likely to change.

  • Zynk.9015Zynk.9015 Member ✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    @GUFF.5692 said:
    If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

    Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

    Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

    The bigger problems from my fights were the larger health pool, viable toughness builds, 12s cd roughly 12000 total in pulse healing and still competitive dps that made it tough to fight against smokescale/gazelle sb. All of that was provided in one package which made choosing sb an easy decision. With all dps, healing, and many utility cds getting lowered across the board it's going to have less survivability.

    I'm waiting to see how it will stack up against other classes in pvp after the changes.

    Throw some pepegas in the chat boiz, gw2 is dead.

  • @GUFF.5692 said:
    If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

    Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

    Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

    Since all damage and stunbreaks are getting nerfed the longer CD to unflinching fortitude won't be a big deal + the extra stunbreak could be life saving.

    Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

  • Sandzibar.5134Sandzibar.5134 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    @Eurantien.4632 said:
    Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

    You cant rely on anything being "unchanged" yet. They just couldnt be bothered to post all the pet nerfs in one preliminary set of notes I expect. I'm expecting to see more nerfs to pet skills that havent been mentioned yet.

  • Yes, more pet skill nerfs are possible. Cal Cohen on posting the balance preview: "These changes are not final, and we’re expecting to make further adjustments based on player feedback as well as our own internal review. " Also, remember the nerf to ranger Greatsword a few months back that was never announced.

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭

    Canine is pretty cool imo.

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • @Yasai.3549 said:
    Canine is pretty cool imo.

    From cosmetic point of view yes but their abilities are so lame :(

  • I like Hyena for leap / cc / and pull whilst merged.

    :shrug:

  • aymnad.9023aymnad.9023 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2020

    Power : Smokescale and gazelle for everything, They do not need any introduction. Maybe hawk sometimes in PvP
    Defense : Arctic Wolf. Nice pet. Too slow to be the main one but the mobility, cc and defense are good.
    Regen : Snow owl maybe but not sure... I really, really think marsh drake is overlooked. It works for both condi and physical opponents. I am trying a weird boonbeast sage build and love this pet.

  • Kilrik.6320Kilrik.6320 Member ✭✭✭

    I think canine will see more play, since their merged aren't bad with 10sec 800 unit leap, 20 sec for 2 sec kd, and whatever variant you wish. Canines are pretty hardy but don't hit as hard unmerged yet still offer the kd/cripple and drakehound's grp immob, and alpine's grp chill are left untouched by nerfs. Ultimately though if I were to bet, I'd say 9 out of 10 sb will be smokescale for stealth and overall functionality of the pet, for both wvw and pvp. I will probably end up with smoke myself, but I'm going to see if alpine will work even with the increased cd on unflinching. I agree w/ Eurantien.4632 that given the stab/stunbrk nerfs and even worse doly nerf, the brk/dmg-nil of unflinching might very well be lifesaving.

  • Just gonna main canines in WvW if anet leaves their leap alone

    800 units + cripple every 10s with a knockdown secondary leap is going to be much better than 1200 units with nothing every 18s and aoe swiftness

    @Eurantien.4632 said:
    the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

    that feel when Anet forgot about pig maul and it gets nuked from orbit a week after the update

  • I kinda agree that canines could make a (re) appearance. I used the arctic wolf extensively in WvW before the Warclaw.
    There's a trick where you can use the merged leap and weapon swap before it ends which puts it to 4s CD or so instead of 10s CD. Obviously it works the best out of combat since you don't get 9s weapon swap CD and you essentially achieve better( or at least similar level) A to B movement since it's 2x800 units every 8-9s compared to 1200 range 10s swoop.
    The swoop is gonna be double CD while outside of the heal, owl's F2 is useless mostly. KD and Unflinching are a better combination IMO. You can run Drakehound if you want WI, but IMO it's gonna be even more of a luxury post patch.
    I think Siamoth is gonna be more impactful in sPvP cause of merged Maul, which is much less telegraphed hard-hitting skill SLB will have left. Maybe in combination with sw/wh + GS for the full melee boonbeast which still retains some mobility through weapon skills.

  • Stallic.2397Stallic.2397 Member ✭✭✭

    Idk much about ranger but I do know live fast didn't work outside of beast mode. With pet swap being removed, it's the trait gonna finally apply to merge and unmerged beast abilities?

    Cause many times, F3 has a long Cooldown. Only usable cause you could swap pets

  • @Atronach.8520 said:
    I kinda agree that canines could make a (re) appearance. I used the arctic wolf extensively in WvW before the Warclaw.
    There's a trick where you can use the merged leap and weapon swap before it ends which puts it to 4s CD or so instead of 10s CD. Obviously it works the best out of combat since you don't get 9s weapon swap CD and you essentially achieve better( or at least similar level) A to B movement since it's 2x800 units every 8-9s compared to 1200 range 10s swoop.
    The swoop is gonna be double CD while outside of the heal, owl's F2 is useless mostly. KD and Unflinching are a better combination IMO. You can run Drakehound if you want WI, but IMO it's gonna be even more of a luxury post patch.
    I think Siamoth is gonna be more impactful in sPvP cause of merged Maul, which is much less telegraphed hard-hitting skill SLB will have left. Maybe in combination with sw/wh + GS for the full melee boonbeast which still retains some mobility through weapon skills.

    Yeah ill def be running with a canine. Probably arctic wolf as you said, unflinching is pretty powerful. Will miss having WI but honestly I rarely hit any competent opponents with it in WvW.

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭

    oPvE fernhound. Great sustain, some mobility and CC and he was my first pet and I won't betray him.

    For fractals, probably gazelle for CC and damage.

    Otherwise probably smojescale for stealth. Although owl really appeals to me still.

  • Ashkew.6584Ashkew.6584 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2020

    @Eurantien.4632 said:

    @GUFF.5692 said:
    If you are fighting a ranger in pvp it's still gonna be the ranger stealths every 12-16s game (aka whack a mole). Stealth wasn't nerfed and reveals weren't buffed so smokescale will be number one as always.

    Stout pets are getting a big nerf to their cooldown so their attractiveness will be even smaller than before.

    Bird mobility (swoop) is getting heavily nerfed. Their f2 has always been less useful for ranger since we have so many sources of swiftness already (becomes completely useless when merged with BM traitline).

    Since all damage and stunbreaks are getting nerfed the longer CD to unflinching fortitude won't be a big deal + the extra stunbreak could be life saving.

    Plasma and boonbeast variants will still be powerufl, and the most important in my opinion is that the damage from pig maul is unchanged. A charge -> GS maul -> pig maul will still do about 15k... thats a big deal.

    yea basicly this, thats why i might go with pig instead of smokescale. right now i can petswap/merge at the same time and then have f2 and f1 for unblockable cc and interrupt, and have f1 hit for 15k. if playing mm. after patch u dont have to time your swap with merge and it will be even easier. the f1 is crazy damage for the amount of animation it has

  • Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Remember, damage is getting lowered across the board on players, so I imagine you'll be seeing more cats in play.

    Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay (formerly Jade Quarry) | Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Terakura/Spellbreaker | ♀♥♀

  • @Hannelore.8153 said:
    Remember, damage is getting lowered across the board on players, so I imagine you'll be seeing more cats in play.

    You might see some gimmick builds if the cheetah and beastly warden combo works correctly but they still are a bit wonky when hitting a moving target

    Better off just going with birds if you want pure damage. Chaining a bird f2 right after their auto can add up to a good amount

  • Eleazar.9478Eleazar.9478 Member ✭✭✭

    core tiger might be hella attractive after patch

  • Tiger or warthog (the ones I've been using the most).

  • @Eurantien.4632 said:
    Pets will be the same as always in Pvp.

    Smokescale
    Siamoth
    Gazelle
    Owl
    Raven
    Electric Wyvern

    These are probably my options. I think boonbeast will be decent so when in combat I’ll be siamoth. Reason? No other pet will give me an option for cc, damage immunity, resistance and damage. Like if I want resistance/quickness uptime tbh plasma is one of the best things, only option for resistance and damage immunity would be bear, which does nothing outside of those 2 things so I’d rather go siamoth which can cc and do damage with maul, only difference is the cc will do poor damage but so is every cc