NAME PURGE, its about time...

Corvus.2831

I think a name purge should be done. It is absolutely a d u m b argument that since you bought a game 3 years ago you cant be considered inactive. Its just a falsehood. By all means send out a mail a month prior with a name purge incoming reminder and ask people to log in, heck send another a week and a day before but then DO IT. There's literally no names left. You cant make up a pronounceable chain of letters that would not be taken already. Even if you throw your cat on the keyboard half of the time the gibberish will be already taken too.

ENOUGH OF THIS.

There's no reason why the active players who play the game should be having to spend 30 minutes in character naming tab and then eventually give up because no names they can identify with are availble. And some asshole who probably hates the game and regrets ever buying it had a good name he managed to secure on launch forever stuck on his account. If he doesn't give a damn enough to log in to refresh the name then we can take that as an agreement to free it up.

Its ridiculus, just fix it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't gw1 names tied into the gw2 system aswell? Just curious if I heard or read that right in the past. If so purging names would also mess up gw1 Personally i wouldn't want to lose my Willie Nelson ranger over there lol. Swear he looks identical to ol willie. If i read that wrong from the past my apologies. As another said plenty of names try making something not so common like Night stalker name it Stalker of Night

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:Isn't gw1 names tied into the gw2 system aswell? Just curious if I heard or read that right in the past. If so purging names would also mess up gw1 Personally i wouldn't want to lose my Willie Nelson ranger over there lol. Swear he looks identical to ol willie. If i read that wrong from the past my apologies. As another said plenty of names try making something not so common like Night stalker name it Stalker of Night

There was a time before GW2 release that you could reserve your GW1 name for GW2 but I don't think it's in any way connected now.

Will Never Happen. And for good reason.

Arenanet stated more than once that they won't do anything that would discourage a returning player, may he return after one month or 5 years. And I can't think of anything more disheartening than coming back to a game and all your characters you may have hundreds of hours spent with lost their names.So I can't do anything than telling you to move on, fighting for this subject is like a fight against windmills.

The only tip I can give you is, don't try single names. Try to work with first and surnames then you won't have much trouble. I created for example a surname most of my characters have in one form or another. With this I could choose any first name I liked. With this no name I ever tried was ever taken.

i see no problem anet allowing names of characters to exist more than once ingame. we have unique display names so every player is able to be identified anyways. if it was to avoid scamming on pvp trades, we trade through the tradingpost in gw2. the ingame mail system could be designed to work with the display names to ensure delivery to receiver. its up to the sender to decide and ensure to choose the right receiver. it ever was and is still that way today.

@endurio.7065 said:it would be great if I could reuse the same name on all my chars in my account though, since it is the same player

This is what display name is for. If I may suggest something, you can always go with some creative or pun names including your main player name.

e.g. mesmer would be Purple Endurio, warrior Endurio Smash etc.

@Kheldorn.5123 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:Isn't gw1 names tied into the gw2 system aswell? Just curious if I heard or read that right in the past. If so purging names would also mess up gw1 Personally i wouldn't want to lose my Willie Nelson ranger over there lol. Swear he looks identical to ol willie. If i read that wrong from the past my apologies. As another said plenty of names try making something not so common like Night stalker name it Stalker of Night

There was a time before GW2 release that you could reserve your GW1 name for GW2 but I don't think it's in any way connected now.

Oh i see thanks for clarification on that.

@Zin Dau.1749 said:There are over 10^27 possible names. There are less than 10^8 existing characters. There are plenty of names left.

I made 8 new toons within the last 8 months; 2 of them just last month. If the names you want are taken, it's time to get creative.

Are you really arguing that all letter combinations are possible names? XD You are joking right?

Seeing how I made an account before the game went free to play and I didn't come back until like 2 years ago and been slowly playing on and off, I'm glad on this.Shouldn't purge anything in case people might come back.Not Arenanet's fault that whatever name you're trying to use isn't unique.

I've had no name naming names unless it's me picking stupid temporary names.Like when the PoF demo weekend was going on and wanted to try Renegade, I wanted to call them "Relevant Revenant" and so on.As for actual names, they all went through as I'm not trying to pick names like "Steven Segal" or "Tom Jones" or "Bill Cosby" or insert some anime name because I think this anime char is cool

@Kheldorn.5123 said:Clearly you know why Anet is against name purge so it's redundant to explain it to you. I agree with this decision, there is no reason why a player who paid for their account can't keep chosen name. I'm pretty sure they are not going to change their decision because of your post, mr Xxx Legolas Xx Targaryen Xxx X

COnviniently you ignore the fact that those reasons aforementioned are obviously not true. We cant because we wont is not an argument. Activity does not equate to buying a game at launch and the naming system as you clearly know is out of normal names to pick from. How about you make an actual counter argument? Oh wait you cant. If they wont change a thing, then clearly theres no reasoning with them but thats not a good thing. Would be nice if You weren't so happy about people being unable to comfortably create a new character. That is if you wanted to improve the game rather than defend arenanet for no good reason and insult people.

I advocate for accesibility to normal sounding names and you try to mock me by calling my chars Xxx Legolas Xx Targaryen Xxx X? I want people to be able to choose a normal name without any needless asci art or side character spam precisely because i do think they are bad, and i know they know those are bad. People are choosing them because you cant spell a normal name or make up a pronouncable fantasy name without it being taken and the problem doesnt touch just names from some popular franchises. Thats exacly my point! Thanks for making it for me, Also what you recommended as naming conventions are just as terrible as the xxx legolas xxx and ARE NOT NAMES.

Made a Charr name recently, 5 letters. Taken. Added a last name, went through. If you only try to use a first name only then yes it will be taken. But adding a last name or title will get it to go through. I made a couple of humans when the new faces and hair came out. First name only was taken for each so I added the last name of Crane, and I had my names.

@Mithos.9023 said:Will Never Happen. And for good reason.

Arenanet stated more than once that they won't do anything that would discourage a returning player, may he return after one month or 5 years. And I can't think of anything more disheartening than coming back to a game and all your characters you may have hundreds of hours spent with lost their names.So I can't do anything than telling you to move on, fighting for this subject is like a fight against windmills.

The only tip I can give you is, don't try single names. Try to work with first and surnames then you won't have much trouble. I created for example a surname most of my characters have in one form or another. With this I could choose any first name I liked. With this no name I ever tried was ever taken.

Your advice exposes the exact problem. Its not a solution, sorry. Also at this point players may not return because they cant create a new character with a decent sounding name. Have you considered that? Finally to think this wont change is just as saying mounts will never exist in gw2. People learn and grow and change their stances and hey, everyone seems to like the new mounts.

PS if you get a month of time and 3 warnings and you cant be arsed to log in to the website then it is safe to asume you have no interest no any real care about the characters names you might have freed up. To call it the most disheartening thing you can imagine only speaks to lack of imagination.

I agree that it's not actually that difficult to come up with a useable name. I make new characters on a regular basis and it's very rare that the name I wanted is taken (and last time it happened it was because I'd already used it on my free account!). If it is I can usually make it work with a small change (like swapping one letter or picking a similar word - e.g. Airwalker to Windwalker).

In some specific circumstances it is harder - for example trying to get a lore friendly name for a female asuran - it should ideally be 1 word, 1 syllable (or 2 maximum), end with a vowel and likely have 1 repeat letter. That limits your choices a lot. But even within lore none of those are strict rules, there are NPCs who 'break' one or more so players can do the same to open up more options and still get a lore friendly name. Or you can add a title, or use accents.

For other races I suspect the easiest solution is to add a last name - that immediately halves the chances of someone else using the same name because they now have to have chosen not one but two identical words, for the same character. I've often met charr with the same last name as mine (which is amusing since we should be in the same warband) and twice I've met players using the same first name as my charr, but I've never had trouble getting a first/last combination I wanted.

Of course the exception is if you're trying to get a name from a movie/book/TV show etc. Then chances are it and every logical variant will be taken. There are exceptions of course, mostly really obscure characters. Although when I couldn't get Zanthia, Alchemist Zanthia, Mystic Zanthia or any other version I could think of I started to question that...then I found out lots of people cosplay her, even today. But then I was able to get Missandei of Naarth, who I would have thought would be better known.

But those are also the names where it's highly unlikely a name purge would help you - even if the name is freed up you'll probably lose it to one of the 50,000 other people who had the exact same idea.

I seem to remember when City of Heroes did do a name purge they later announced they wouldn't do it again because less than 20% of the names freed up were re-used and people were still complaining that it was impossible to get a decent name.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:There are lots of names left if you use a first and last name/title. I’ve made several new chars in the last few months and each name went through with no problem.

In other words, if you go around the problem going with pretentious and very long and thus hard to key in or remember names you still find a fev non taken combinations. Im aware of that. How does that change anything? I can litteraly mash my keyboard and the chance the combination will be taken is quite high are you aware of that?

Archived