TLDR: Getting kills should be the primary objective for this pvp mode. Capturing objectives should help facilitate the primary objective.
Originally this thread began with 2 paragraphs of griping on how unmotivating and disappointing conquest spvp is, and it tears my heart out a lover of Guild Wars that we do not have a small scale pvp mode with the primary win condition of killing the other team, in this game after 8 years.
I decided to spare those tears and jump right in to what I feel is the sort of spvp mode we can be proud of.
Below follows an outline for how to create an engaging spvp mode. It should go without saying that all numbers can be tweaked--the underlying philosophy is the important part.
I have given this a lot of thought and encourage the community to provide feedback for any holes in gameplay
and most importantly to help get this on the eyes of the dev team.
Medium to large size map.
Large capture point similar to legacy of the foefire on one side of the map. IE large enough to facilitate movement as well as contesting.
Obelisk on the other side of the map, capturable by placing your flag or a neutral flag in it.
Map size is important here. It should be very difficult to hold both the capture point and the obelisk. And nearly impossible to prevent the opposing team from capturing the obelisk, as placing the flag should be instant.
The obelisk can be captured by placing your teams flag in it.
Flags will first spawn in 1 of 2 ways:
1) When the point is captured flags will spawn near each teams spawn point.
2) If the point is not captured by 1:30, team flags will spawn near each teams spawn point and a neutral flag will spawn at a midway point to the obelisk. Either team may use this flag to capture the obelisk.
Capturing the obelisk generates a flat score of 25.
Once the obelisk is captured it cannot be captured by the opposing team until the next x:00
Controlling the obelisk will have 2 possible effects
1) If your team is winning the obelisk will generate 25 score every x:00 and x:30
2) If your team is losing the obelisk will apply some effect globally to help the losing team secure kills. Possible examples: attacks ignore aegis, some number or some certain boons stripped every 'x' seconds. some number or some certain conditions applied every 'x' seconds. globally apply 'x' stacks of might. etc, you get the picture. the idea is to help the losing team get kills. you can get as creative as you'd like, hell you could even change it up every week or every day as a sort of flux system similar to guild wars 1.
Decapping the control point has two possible effects
1) If your team is winning, decapping the point generates 25 score.
2) If your team is losing, decapping the point will apply some effect to the area of the capture point. again you can get as creative as you'd like. ie losing team buffed in some way or winning team weakend in some way
Capturing the control point has two possible effects
1) If your team is winning, capping the point will generate a flat score of 50.
2) If your team is losing, capturing the point will disable the obelisk if it is held by the winning team for 1 minute and apply a global 1 second knockdown/stun to the winning team.
In addition, controlling the capture point generates 5 score per tick.
All kills generate 15 score.
Games played to 500
Death to our enemies,