free server transfer

jdmThor.3806

@jdmThor.3806 said:hey. i was talking about a possible anet-sponsored free server transfer period like they've done before. deleting my characters isn't really an option.

You mean the last time they did it like 3 years ago before a tournament and helped screw up server balance even more?If deleting characters isn't a an option then pay to transfer like every one else, or make a free account.

@jdmThor.3806 said:hey. i was talking about a possible anet-sponsored free server transfer period like they've done before.

When did they do it before, for free? When the game launched, Guesting was broken, so they allowed us unlimited free transfers so that we could PvE with friends from other worlds. Over time, they added a daily then a weekly limit to reduce bandwagoning. In January 2013, Guesting was finally implemented and the free transfer period ended.

A week prior to the Spring 2014 Season, the transfer cost was reduced to 0 for 8 of the 24 NA worlds and 8 of the 27 EU worlds, based on their rating (the bottom 5 and middle 3 were free; transfers to the top 12 cost 2400, which is 1/3 more than transferring to a Very High pop world is today; four worlds in each realm were 800, which is slightly less than transferring to a High-pop today). Once the nine-week tourney started, the costs were increased to 1000, 1400, & 2400, all much more than current transfer costs.

I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.

tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).

Dude... look at the Spring 2014 details link, it has the gem cost for transfers right before the tournament.Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.

Also this was done a year prior..https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-transfers-to-medium-populations-worlds/

In any case, since they do links now no point to do free transfers and mess up their linking before the next rotation.

@XenesisII.1540 said:Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.You're right. That was what happened - we stood no chance against HoD.

ETA: Illconceived: HoD was exactly the reason why they didn't do it anymore and why there are no more tournaments. That free transfers made a lot of people quit. Don't think anything similar happened on EU, but it probably did.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).

Dude... look at the Spring 2014 details link, it has the gem cost for transfers right before the tournament.Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.

Dude... I specifically mentioned that exact situation right above the part you quoted (and referenced it in the tl;dr). (It was for a single week for 16 of 51 worlds and was entirely about rebalancing in advance of a tournament.) I even linked the relevant official page.

Also this was done a year prior..
Ah, I did indeed miss that one. That lasted less than a week and within 3 months of the end of unlimited free transfers, so it seems to have been an attempt to rebalance the initial distribution.

In short, since January 2013, there have been a total of less than two weeks out of 250 when one could transfer to a handful of worlds, without paying gems.

In any case, since they do links now no point to do free transfers and mess up their linking before the next rotation.

Agreed.

@urzen.7096 said:Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

Servers are grouped up with other servers now, so if they have low population they are constantly cycled and teamed up with other servers.There is no way your WvW is that badly underpopulated unless you play at off peak hours and even so there are still people and you can still do stuff to contribute.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@urzen.7096 said:Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

Servers are grouped up with other servers now, so if they have low population they are constantly cycled and teamed up with other servers.There is no way your WvW is that badly underpopulated unless you play at off peak hours and even so there are still people and you can still do stuff to contribute.

But I cant play wvw with my guild because they are on a different server. And not one linked with my server. Im stuck (unless i want to pay the extortion fee). No big deal. Ill wait a few more years till they have a transfer special.

@urzen.7096 said:

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

But I cant play wvw with my guild because they are on a different server. And not one linked with my server. Im stuck (unless i want to pay the extortion fee). No big deal. Ill wait a few more years till they have a transfer special.

Why not find a WvW guild in your server?On top of that, the fees aren't that crazy and you can farm gold to turn into gems to make that transfer. it just gets more expensive if you are trying to fit yourself into the top tier servers.

I think once a year, perhaps on Christmas day or something, ANet should let people transfer to whatever server they want for free. I know a lot of people that want to transfer to play with a friend or friends but just don't have the gems (or money) to do it. And it sucks, because these people get to play every other game type with their friends. They develop friendships, close bonds, but still can't WvW with their friends.

Let's be honest, WvW would not get any worse if people were able to transfer for free every now and then. While you would be giving people access to do stupid things, you'd also be helping a lot of players out. A lot of players that would likely do WvW more often. And isn't that kind of what's needed for WvW? More people doing it? Seems to me, people have worried so much about the possible bad side-effects of free transfers that they let them forget about all the good effects of free transfers.

Guild Wars 2 is such a good game for casual players, or new players, yet the WvW transfer costs and the closing and opening of server transfers flies in the opposite direction of that friendly easy to use inviting system.

Archived