free server transfer — Guild Wars 2 Forums

You now can upload images from Tumblr and Imgur, in addition to YouTube and Instagram. Please see this thread for more information.

free server transfer

jdmThor.3806jdmThor.3806 Member ✭✭

any opportunity coming up? thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

  • Inoki.6048Inoki.6048 Member ✭✭

    Yeah, delete all your toons and you can transfer for free IF they deleted the Beta characters.

    Human qualities can be expressed in one word: hypocrisy. We elevate those who say right but mean wrong and mock those who say wrong but mean right.
    Society is based on hate, it should be based on forgiveness. Hatred is rudimentary. One should be able to forgive one's executioner.

  • jdmThor.3806jdmThor.3806 Member ✭✭

    hey. i was talking about a possible anet-sponsored free server transfer period like they've done before. deleting my characters isn't really an option.

  • jamesdolla.3954jamesdolla.3954 Member ✭✭

    Noway they'll do that again.

    Maguuma

  • jdmThor.3806jdmThor.3806 Member ✭✭

    i'm hoping an anet person would reply on this thread :)

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    i'm hoping an anet person would reply on this thread :)

    Have you looked through the list of items in the forums in this section? Maybe 5% get an Anet response.

  • jdmThor.3806jdmThor.3806 Member ✭✭

    5% means it's not impossible ;)

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    5% means it's not impossible ;)

    Oh I agree. I just wanted to make sure expectations are tempered. :)

  • Llethander.3972Llethander.3972 Member ✭✭✭

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    i'm hoping an anet person would reply on this thread :)

    Have you looked through the list of items in the forums in this section? Maybe 5% get an Anet response.

    Ooooooooooh snap! Looks like this thread fell into the aforementioned 5%! xD

  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    hey. i was talking about a possible anet-sponsored free server transfer period like they've done before. deleting my characters isn't really an option.

    You mean the last time they did it like 3 years ago before a tournament and helped screw up server balance even more?
    If deleting characters isn't a an option then pay to transfer like every one else, or make a free account.

    Another derailing post. ^^
    North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
    Game over man! Game over!

  • Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    hey. i was talking about a possible anet-sponsored free server transfer period like they've done before.

    When did they do it before, for free? When the game launched, Guesting was broken, so they allowed us unlimited free transfers so that we could PvE with friends from other worlds. Over time, they added a daily then a weekly limit to reduce bandwagoning. In January 2013, Guesting was finally implemented and the free transfer period ended.

    A week prior to the Spring 2014 Season, the transfer cost was reduced to 0 for 8 of the 24 NA worlds and 8 of the 27 EU worlds, based on their rating (the bottom 5 and middle 3 were free; transfers to the top 12 cost 2400, which is 1/3 more than transferring to a Very High pop world is today; four worlds in each realm were 800, which is slightly less than transferring to a High-pop today). Once the nine-week tourney started, the costs were increased to 1000, 1400, & 2400, all much more than current transfer costs.

    I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.

    tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).


    “Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.” — Ambrose Bierce.

  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.
    tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).

    Dude... look at the Spring 2014 details link, it has the gem cost for transfers right before the tournament.
    Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.

    Also this was done a year prior..
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-transfers-to-medium-populations-worlds/

    In any case, since they do links now no point to do free transfers and mess up their linking before the next rotation.

    Another derailing post. ^^
    North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
    Game over man! Game over!

  • Jana.6831Jana.6831 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13

    @XenesisII.1540 said:
    Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.

    You're right. That was what happened - we stood no chance against HoD.

    ETA: Illconceived: HoD was exactly the reason why they didn't do it anymore and why there are no more tournaments. That free transfers made a lot of people quit. Don't think anything similar happened on EU, but it probably did.

    the gentle art of making enemies.

  • Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 13

    @XenesisII.1540 said:

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I see no evidence of any other time when transfers were free.
    tl;dr There has never been an ANet-sponsored free transfer period outside of when guesting was broken or for one week prior to just one of the three WvW tournaments (and it applied to fewer than 1/3 of all worlds).

    Dude... look at the Spring 2014 details link, it has the gem cost for transfers right before the tournament.
    Server ranks 13-15 and 20-24 had 0 cost. I believe this is the tournament that HoD got bandwagoned on for the mid tiers.

    Dude... I specifically mentioned that exact situation right above the part you quoted (and referenced it in the tl;dr). (It was for a single week for 16 of 51 worlds and was entirely about rebalancing in advance of a tournament.) I even linked the relevant official page.

    Ah, I did indeed miss that one. That lasted less than a week and within 3 months of the end of unlimited free transfers, so it seems to have been an attempt to rebalance the initial distribution.


    In short, since January 2013, there have been a total of less than two weeks out of 250 when one could transfer to a handful of worlds, without paying gems.

    In any case, since they do links now no point to do free transfers and mess up their linking before the next rotation.

    Agreed.

    “Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.” — Ambrose Bierce.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭

    @Llethander.3972 said:

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:

    @jdmThor.3806 said:
    i'm hoping an anet person would reply on this thread :)

    Have you looked through the list of items in the forums in this section? Maybe 5% get an Anet response.

    Ooooooooooh snap! Looks like this thread fell into the aforementioned 5%! xD

    BOOOM!!!!

    Nicely done!

  • jdmThor.3806jdmThor.3806 Member ✭✭

    @McKenna Berdrow.2759 said:
    There are currently no plans for an anet-sponsored free transfer.

    thank you mckenna xD

  • urzen.7096urzen.7096 Member ✭✭

    Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

  • aandiarie.7195aandiarie.7195 Member ✭✭

    Never delete your characters O_O :open_mouth: You won't get the 5th or 6th bday rewards if you do.

  • hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @urzen.7096 said:
    Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

    Servers are grouped up with other servers now, so if they have low population they are constantly cycled and teamed up with other servers.
    There is no way your WvW is that badly underpopulated unless you play at off peak hours and even so there are still people and you can still do stuff to contribute.

    Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

    JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

  • urzen.7096urzen.7096 Member ✭✭
    edited October 14

    @hellsqueen.3045 said:

    @urzen.7096 said:
    Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

    Servers are grouped up with other servers now, so if they have low population they are constantly cycled and teamed up with other servers.
    There is no way your WvW is that badly underpopulated unless you play at off peak hours and even so there are still people and you can still do stuff to contribute.

    But I cant play wvw with my guild because they are on a different server. And not one linked with my server. Im stuck (unless i want to pay the extortion fee). No big deal. Ill wait a few more years till they have a transfer special.

  • hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @urzen.7096 said:

    @hellsqueen.3045 said:

    @urzen.7096 said:
    Good to know. No need to come back to the game till I can transfer off my lame server with barely any wvw guilds. Im certainly not PAYING for a script to move some bits around.

    Servers are grouped up with other servers now, so if they have low population they are constantly cycled and teamed up with other servers.
    There is no way your WvW is that badly underpopulated unless you play at off peak hours and even so there are still people and you can still do stuff to contribute.

    But I cant play wvw with my guild because they are on a different server. And not one linked with my server. Im stuck (unless i want to pay the extortion fee). No big deal. Ill wait a few more years till they have a transfer special.

    Why not find a WvW guild in your server?
    On top of that, the fees aren't that crazy and you can farm gold to turn into gems to make that transfer. it just gets more expensive if you are trying to fit yourself into the top tier servers.

    Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

    JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

  • I'd also like to point out that, with Megaservers, as long as you and the person you want to play with are both on an NA server, you can just invite them and go for it. So transfers only really matter for World vs. World nowadays.

  • hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭

    @NekoIncardine.8732 said:
    I'd also like to point out that, with Megaservers, as long as you and the person you want to play with are both on an NA server, you can just invite them and go for it. So transfers only really matter for World vs. World nowadays.

    This person does want to do WvW though

    Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

    JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

  • matthewr.3980matthewr.3980 Member
    edited October 16

    I think once a year, perhaps on Christmas day or something, ANet should let people transfer to whatever server they want for free. I know a lot of people that want to transfer to play with a friend or friends but just don't have the gems (or money) to do it. And it sucks, because these people get to play every other game type with their friends. They develop friendships, close bonds, but still can't WvW with their friends.

    Let's be honest, WvW would not get any worse if people were able to transfer for free every now and then. While you would be giving people access to do stupid things, you'd also be helping a lot of players out. A lot of players that would likely do WvW more often. And isn't that kind of what's needed for WvW? More people doing it? Seems to me, people have worried so much about the possible bad side-effects of free transfers that they let them forget about all the good effects of free transfers.

    Guild Wars 2 is such a good game for casual players, or new players, yet the WvW transfer costs and the closing and opening of server transfers flies in the opposite direction of that friendly easy to use inviting system.

  • hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 17

    @matthewr.3980 said:
    I think once a year, perhaps on Christmas day or something, ANet should let people transfer to whatever server they want for free. I know a lot of people that want to transfer to play with a friend or friends but just don't have the gems (or money) to do it. And it sucks, because these people get to play every other game type with their friends. They develop friendships, close bonds, but still can't WvW with their friends.

    Let's be honest, WvW would not get any worse if people were able to transfer for free every now and then. While you would be giving people access to do stupid things, you'd also be helping a lot of players out. A lot of players that would likely do WvW more often. And isn't that kind of what's needed for WvW? More people doing it? Seems to me, people have worried so much about the possible bad side-effects of free transfers that they let them forget about all the good effects of free transfers.

    Guild Wars 2 is such a good game for casual players, or new players, yet the WvW transfer costs and the closing and opening of server transfers flies in the opposite direction of that friendly easy to use inviting system.

    Even reduced pricing and free transfers to lower populated servers might help too.
    The only ones I don't see likely to get reduced pricing is the high tier servers, which is fair and some people who aren't interested in high tier WvW in that tier may leave to lower populated servers, opening up more room in high tier play for people who genuinely want to be in high tier WvW.

    I know I chose Gate Of Madness NA when I started with friends solely because of the name, but we discovered that the WvW scene there during our times (Australian Eastern Time) there is no one around. It'd be nice to have more details on the state of WvW in each server, like when it's most active WvW times are now that all the servers have sort of established their world versus world population and thus the times. This would mean people may actually join servers that are active in their times and that could result in better match ups for some lower tier servers.

    Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

    JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

  • urzen.7096urzen.7096 Member ✭✭

    @hellsqueen.3045 said:

    Why not find a WvW guild in your server?
    On top of that, the fees aren't that crazy and you can farm gold to turn into gems to make that transfer. it just gets more expensive if you are trying to fit yourself into the top tier servers.

    Its the principle. Im opposed to paying for transfers. And I dont want to be on a top tier. I would settle for the middle. But im on SOR, the bottom. And there are few wvw guilds with no chance of ever moving SOR up. As I said though, no big deal. Plenty of other MMOs to play.

  • hellsqueen.3045hellsqueen.3045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 19

    @urzen.7096 said:

    @hellsqueen.3045 said:

    Why not find a WvW guild in your server?
    On top of that, the fees aren't that crazy and you can farm gold to turn into gems to make that transfer. it just gets more expensive if you are trying to fit yourself into the top tier servers.

    Its the principle. Im opposed to paying for transfers. And I dont want to be on a top tier. I would settle for the middle. But im on SOR, the bottom. And there are few wvw guilds with no chance of ever moving SOR up. As I said though, no big deal. Plenty of other MMOs to play.

    Well that is just the way it is because in this game for PvE and PvP we have the mega server which keeps everyone together and servers only apply to WvW.
    If people were just allowed to transfer whenever and wherever they liked, the server balance, particularly in high tier servers would be particularly out of wack causing major inconsistencies and balance problems because suddenly people who have not been practiced in WvW will end up in top tier servers and understand zero of the strats there.

    You really want a transfer, then pay for it. If not, you obviously don't want to be there that bad that you are willing to farm some gold and get a transfer.

    Besides, if you never transferred before and you were on a free account and bought the expansions, you get a free transfer.

    Founder of Affinitus Nemus [AFNM]
    "Join Us, We're Lonely" - Our Guild At Some Point

    JUST LIKE THE LORAX, WE SPEAK FOR THE TREES!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.