Balance patch forgot one big thing... — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

Balance patch forgot one big thing...

Waffler.1257Waffler.1257 Member ✭✭✭

Underwater combat still exists in WvW and there are some very busted underwater weapon skills, especially of the mesmer variety.

Comments

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nice meme.

• I did happen upon someone under a fort while on Condi Mesmer. They did not take out any under weapon weapons or maybe lacked one, and we just humored each other for a few whole minutes while I tried to kill the guy with the trident. It just wasn't happening. :)) That's fun (yet very sad) to experience...once, and it was a stalling technique I happily let myself "fall" for to see exactly what would happen underwater.
    But yes, underwater is a joke, and a thief may usually turn that joke on whoever is foolish enough to get distracted, especially by the Red's lake/pond and Anza and just ping pongs between shores with swimmer teams on his/her tail trying their best to kill the one thief.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2020

I think condi Necro is the strongest underwater overall, you can end up with 40-50 stacks of Bleeding and Poisoned on your enemies and in an AoE at that, and underwater few classes have any mobility so the Necro's usual weakness on land doesn't apply.

And that's without Epidemic. Its really something to behold.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Henge of Denravi Silver Invader [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Mesmer underwater is literally nothing compared to the ranger, so I find it hilarious that was the target for this thread

Agreed. I remember an old streamer named Donee used to jump in water near red keep just trolling with his build.

• TinkTinkPOOF.9201TinkTinkPOOF.9201 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Mesmer underwater is literally nothing compared to the ranger, so I find it hilarious that was the target for this thread

This.

I remember back in the day people would turn around once a range went into water, it was pointless.

Part of this has to do with lower DPS in water and the clunky nature of it and no stomping ability, as well as how strong pet resing is. Most cases where I have downed a ranger in water, they are able to revive faster than I can cleave, very annoying. However downed skills are very unbalanced across the board, some do great dmg in down state, some higher than regular auto attacks, along with some classes having hard cleave and stomp counters, yet other classes are totally useless. Though if downstate were removed or nerfed, this would not be a problem.

"When you power creep the game and make it so that spam gameplay is nearly as effective as deep knowledge and nuance, the quality of players will decrease." -Exedore

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I've fought a pretty decent ranger on land, then the fight continued underwater(he was the one who dove in) and I won. As a thief. I'm gonna add this to my non-existent list of accomplishments in WvW.

Check out the fable of the Boiling Frog.

• PeerlessArch.6547PeerlessArch.6547 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2020

Yeah -- Thief, Spear with skill #5, dodge, skill#5, dodge, etc, etc. I had an entire zerg chase me around bay for like 4 laps until they finally gave up lol. Pretty busted, but eh...was fun. :)
    They should probably do a quick pass on underwater skills.

• kash.9213kash.9213 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PeerlessArch.6547 said:
    Yeah -- Thief, Spear with skill #5, dodge, skill#5, dodge, etc, etc. I had an entire zerg chase me around bay for like 4 laps until they finally gave up lol. Pretty busted, but eh...was fun. :)
    They should probably do a quick pass on underwater skills.

That just means none of them worked on their underwater game, not busted game, just lazy people.

Northern Shiverpeaks [EL] & [SD]

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dude, mesmer clones and phantasmals are the next targets to scream about, get with the nerf program, no one cares about underwater lol.

^ Another derailing post - Anet
    Perma stealth is needed to outrun zergs. - Thieves
    /Stomps Mirage-Scourge-Warclaw, boon ball balance! - Anet
    No expansion money as long as Mesmers are trash. - Me

• Safandula.8723Safandula.8723 Member ✭✭✭✭

Good point. Rn all underwater skills are boosted.

make prepardness baseline plz

• i have to agree with xenesis... one of the least problems of WvW is the underwater-balance. (i even disagree with their regular "balance" patch, starting to fix things on the wrong end imo)

• the only underwater skill that should be available is this.

Te lazla otstara.

• RedShark.9548RedShark.9548 Member ✭✭✭✭

@borgs.6103 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:

I've fought a pretty decent ranger on land, then the fight continued underwater(he was the one who dove in) and I won. As a thief. I'm gonna add this to my non-existent list of accomplishments in WvW.

It actually speaks clear understandable sentences, woah.

• Warrior underwater weapons are fairly strong so I've never been bothered with chasing someone into the water for a free kill.