When are major pet issues getting fixed?

Swagger.1459

Pets have issues hitting moving targets and they die easily under pressure… This screws over our builds pretty badly, especially in wvw. When does this become a priority to fix? Also, there are a bunch of pets that are not gaining the benefit from quickness...

If Thief Steal mechanics were intertwined in every build, missed moving targets and had issues since before launch… I’m sure it would be fixed by now… Sooo, not trying to be rude, but it’s not professional to leave a class, and main class mechanic, in this state. You are failing to provide your customers a fully working, enjoyable and competitive class… and have for a long time now.

It’s been 6 years and 4 months and these issues are not yet resolved. This is a major class issue that causes larger gameplay implications… You designed our class to have subpar damage, that was supposed to be balanced upward by pets, yet we get screwed in both the damage and core mechanic departments. Soulbeast doesn’t resolve anything either… it’s still poor damage and brings nothing special, to any team or mode, compared to other professions. This is not good. It really lets the players down.

Edit- And obviously a bunch of devs are into gaming, and have experience with other games… so wouldn’t they want their characters to function in a proper, balanced, fun and competitive way?

From 6/10/2011

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/06/exclusive-interview-arenanets-jon-peters-and-jonathan-sharp/

“Ginko (GW2G): The ranger is supposed to be the pet profession, and bringing a pet is always supposed to improve the performance of the ranger. In all of the demos so far, most rangers didn’t bother to have their pet with them during combat; they either died quickly or didn’t seem to do much when they were around. Considering the ranger class was intended to be the class that specifically focuses on playing with a pet, what does the design team want ranger/pet gameplay to be like at launch? What kinds of gameplay is ArenaNet trying to foster for the ranger so that the pet and ranger work together instead of the pet simply being similar to a random melee ally?

Jon P: I think the ranger pets are terrible right now, no one would argue with that! If you wanted to talk about least played profession, the ranger would probably be it. We’ve been making A.I changes which are slowly propagating to the pets right now, while we’ve also been looking into more radical things with the pets.

Right now the pets feel like this thing you have, rather than a part of your character. Like those other professions that have undergone some radical changes, I’m hoping by the next time we show the game, or certainly before we ship, the ranger pet will have that synergy. That’s one of the biggest failings we have right now. For those that are concerned, we are also concerned but we aren’t concerned that we won’t fix it, just not right now. We are going to make it feel synergistic, but it just takes time."

There doesn't seem to be any passion for the Ranger in the ANet offices, feels like the redheaded stepchild of the 9 professions. I remember watching the stream where they were previewing the new PoF elites and when the two devs got to Soulbeast their smiles melted. They immediately went from being excited talking about the other specs to unenthusiastic, seemingly struggling to find anything nice to say about Soulbeast. Ranger's pet issues are the elephant in the room and no one in the ANet offices wants to acknowledge it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived