Will race change be available, what are the limitations?

Quam.7218

Hello,

I've search the forums about this topic but I didn't find anything "on time", the last merged topic is 4y old and the last posts are over a year old.

So, Yes I am aware that race change has some limitations but how complicated they are.Now we have a lvl 80 character boost, waypoint unlock package.Maybe personal story could be an issue, maybe bank slots or bag slots I don't know.

I'm just curious on this matter, I'll be gratefull for any knowledge.

Race change is not available as far as I know.

The main thing is the personal story, but not only that, how the game reacts to the choices within your personal story as well. If your charr says one thing and your human says another, they'd have to go through and make sure every dialogue fits the race change, the personal story change and other things as well.

On top of that, there could be any number of bugs or unforeseen issues that would need patching and repatching and a ton of dev time put into it which could be spent just making new content.

While I certainly understand the desire to customise your character every way you wish, and to change the character every way you wish, i'm not sure it's 100% feasible to allow race change, since the build currently doesn't support such a feature.

And before anyone rages on me, changing a bunch of waypoints to 'discovered' is nowhere near the feat of making sure every dialogue ever doesn't bug and reference a previously chosen race or personal story decision (or crash the game/servers). The scopes are entirely different.

It's exactly as Castlemanic has said. Anet has stated in the past that race changes will not be a thing in large due to the issues involved with personal story and the choices that were made with regards to that content. They may, at some point in the future, work out a way to make this possible but it's safe to assume that it's most likely not going to happen.

Janson SmallingArenaNet PosterTarget SourceShare This Post #70 - 2013/04/17 11:41:45 AM (2013/04/17 04:41:45 UTC-7)You’ve all brought up great reasons why a race-change item is very appealing to you, and how you, personally, could see it happening. Others have brought up great reasons as to why it is not simplistic or easy for us to do this.

There are a lot of far-reaching consequences of allowing one character to play through every race’s personal story or equip any cultural armor/weapons. For now, we feel that it would take away from the experience of Guild Wars 2 for the majority of players.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/258544-race-change/#70

Thank You for clearing it up a bit.

@Llethander.3972Yes I found those but those are 2013 posts so I was wondering if this is still accurate, back then we did't have appearance, hair or even name changes, not to mention lvl 80 boosts, or waypoints.

As for personal story I wouldn't mind it to reset and not gain loot for completing them.And cultural gear I might also loose.If this could be the only* issues.

*- I'm aware 'only' doesn't mean they are simple to do.

I completely understand. I would be lying if I were to say that I hadn't said "I wish I could race change..."

I personally assume that, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise, the general stance on matters such as this remain unchanged regardless of how much time has passed. I know I'd buy one for sure if it were to become a thing.

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:I'd honestly prefer they use their resources for other things.

This is why I would like to know how much time and effort will be needed for it to become available.

I would also see other things like Dungeons revamp, or teams to focus more on more important things cough build cough templates cough.But if I would choose between race changes and mail carriers or home instance nodes, toys, minis I would choose race changes. But the fact that some players have no interest in such things doesn's mean all players have.

@Quam.7218 said:This is why I would like to know how much time and effort will be needed for it to become available.They can't tell us exactly how much time and effort; they just need to know that it would be more than other projects that take up the same resources and it would be fraught with issues.

Some time ago, ANet made some minor changes to the order of the instances in the PS (so that it fit better into leveling up and the progression of the story)... and it took over two years to track down all the subsequent problems that blocked progress for a small number of characters. (It might be the case that they still haven't found/resolved them all.) Imagine how bad it would be to completely reset the story to change race. There are just a tons of little things that happen behind the scenes to keep track of your character's status within the game and it's not trivial to list them all and make sure that they aren't completely whacked after changing race.

It is worth saying what things you don't care about and what things you do, but none of us will ever have most of the information needed to make an informed decision about what's worth trading off for what other desired features. Just look at some of Gaile's recent posts about forum changes that she would like to see as much as us; she also has to wait for the relevant devs to let her know what's possible and what's a priority in terms of keeping things moving smoothly. That is, even the ANet employee who knows more about what we (forum frequenters) deal with daily isn't able to set policy for everything forum related, because it's always more complicated than it looks and there's always something under the hood that also needs attention.

In short, accept that the devs know what they are talking about when they say something isn't going to happen any time soon. (Or don't trust them, which begs the question: if they don't know what's realistic, how can we expect them to make the sorts of changes we want without breaking something important?)

Archived