For the love of consequences... (Repair costs)

BENICE.3284

Please bring back the consequence of death, repair costs. It doesn't have to be incredibly expensive but it should not be too cheap either.

There shouldn't even be damage to gear without it costing us to repair otherwise it's just there for show. As it stands players can die repeatedly without a care in the world, just run back and be as reckless as before.

(Extra thought: If GW2 wasn't trying to be a mobile game I'd dare say it should even require you to completely replace broken gear. That would certainly light a fire under butts to be more cautious in combat, not to mention add a reason for us to (maybe sometimes) use all that gear in the game after actually setting up a set.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the get go, GW2 was meant to be a casual game, with death really not meaning much. Back when you did have to pay to repair your equipment, the cost was always pretty trivial (a few sp if I remember right). Perhaps one reason Anet remove it is they did analysis, and found it really did not remove any significant amount of money from the game.At this point, I think armor getting damaged is meaningless, and should just get removed. One counter I've heard is that instantly makes all instant repairs kits worthless (instead of mostly worthless right now), and giving any sort of compensation for them (partial gem refund, gold, whatever) has actual impact. So things stay as they are now, and I slowly accumulate more instant repair kits because I never need to use them.

@Solvar.7953Repairs are typically meant to be a minor annoyance more than anything but with the recent addition of Strike missions they seem to be trying to encourage more people to get used to harder mechanics. The game is actually filled with mechanics but with so little reason to take them seriously. So if they did bring it back it'd have to be less trivial and more annoying.

Instant repair kits are practically useless, they shouldn't be afraid to remove such a thing if they were to go that route. I'd prefer they improve the armor damage/repair system though instead or remove it. The game would still play pretty darn casual but with a subtle reminder for people to die less (I hope).

@BENICE.3284 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:Runes should decrease in effectiveness with each death; if you want your #6 bonus, stay alive or stay repaired.

That would be a nice touch assuming it's not on the first death but if repairs are still free it would still be ever so insignificant.

You can't easily repair in high-level PvE instanced content, so it'd still carry some weight.

Coin comes so easily after a while paying means nothing for vets and punishes new players.

No more than five waypoints on all the maps and then you'll start seeing more caution with drawing aggro... Though a reduction in mob density will have to accompany that since there are spots where getting from A to B is a chore if you can't simply griffon past it.

To be fair any gold sink isn't a problem for vets and yet they add some more anyway. lol New players would learn how to adapt once they got used to it, like all the other small fees that add up over time.

That's not a bad idea but wouldn't effect all content in the same punishing way. I always thought one waypoint would be enough per zone. lol

I really wouldn't mind them reintroducing cost for repairing. As minor as the cost was, in the long run it would add up to a lot of costs. Waypoints cost silver too, and not that much either, but just think for a second how much gold you might have spent on WP's over the years.

When it comes to new players, keep the cost low ofc. But a punishment for recklessness is good, and might motivate some to improve, even if it's a really small minority.

either that, or remove ALL the anvils across the game lol.

@BENICE.3284 said:Please bring back the consequence of death, repair costs.

There shouldn't even be damage to gear without it costing us to repair otherwise it's just there for show. As it stands players can die repeatedly without a care in the world, just run back and be as reckless as before.

It doesn't have to be incredibly expensive but it should not be too cheap either. If GW2 wasn't trying to be a mobile game I'd dare say it should even require you to completely replace broken gear. That would certainly light a fire under butts to be more cautious in combat, not to mention add a reason for us to (maybe sometimes) use all that gear in the game after actually setting up a set.

If I had to replace my gear I wouldn't be more cautious in combat. I wouldn't play at all. My legendaries are not easily come by.

As it is people don't release and run back. They just lay there waiting for the rest of us to finish. So please, no.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:Runes should decrease in effectiveness with each death; if you want your #6 bonus, stay alive or stay repaired.

That would be a nice touch assuming it's not on the first death but if repairs are still free it would still be ever so insignificant.

You can't easily repair in high-level PvE instanced content, so it'd still carry some weight.

It is easy in both raids and fractals ... if those do not quality as high level PvE I am not sure what does.

@"BlackBullWings.2734"

In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't have the cost be too great but not forget-about-it-minor like Waypoints and typically they account for low-level vs high-level players anyway. Quality of gear makes sense too.

I get the whole "game for casuals" for open world content but the fact they want to encourage more to raid and don't know why people don't seems to me they don't know the type of game they made.

"either that, or remove ALL the anvils across the game lol." Ooh, I thought I was the devious one here. xD

@Etria.3642 said:They just lay there waiting for the rest of us to finish

I had an idea for that and the event leeches as well: Go a certain period of time without contributing and the tag you made runs out. Go a certain distance away, same.

So if you're laying there waiting for a rez when you need to be WPing you get no credit for the event. Tagging Covington at the start of the event and then letting everyone chase her around while you wait it out on your skyscale somewhere? No credit.

@Etria.3642 said:If I had to replace my gear I wouldn't be more cautious in combat. I wouldn't play at all. My legendaries are not easily come by.

As it is people don't release and run back. They just lay there waiting for the rest of us to finish. So please, no.

Oh no, I'm not so harsh I would want it to account for legendaries. lol Knowing it'll never happen I didn't get too specific.

Fair point, unless being revived didn't make any difference to damaged gear. >=D

@Pirogen.9561 said:No.

Remove any kind of armor damage.

OK, simple example. You want your kid to learn how to ride a bike. He falls down. Kid is new, it will happen. Do you:1) smash the bike!2) check if everything is OK and encourage the kid to try again

You want your kid to learn how to ride a bike and take care of that bike. He falls down, the bike is scuffed a bit. Kid is new, it'll happen. Do you:1) Employ magic that'll never let his feelings or imaginary bike get hurt ever again!2) Check if he's okay then teach him how to maintain the bike in a good working condition for next time. (Otherwise that bike may eventually be unusable.)

@BENICE.3284 said:

@Pirogen.9561 said:No.

OK, simple example. You want your kid to learn how to ride a bike. He falls down. Kid is new, it will happen. Do you:1) smash the bike!2) check if everything is OK and encourage the kid to try again

You want your kid to learn how to ride a bike
and
take care of that bike. He falls down, the bike is scuffed a bit. Kid is new, it'll happen. Do you:1) Employ magic that'll never let his feelings or imaginary bike get hurt ever again!2) Check if he's okay then teach him how to maintain the bike in a good working condition for next time. (Otherwise that bike may eventually be unusable.)

Sure... Let's just reject civilisation! Let's go back to the caves and persecute people who are weak. It's perfectly natural!oO

@BENICE.3284 said:

@"Pirogen.9561" said:No.

You want your kid to learn how to ride a bike
and
take care of that bike. He falls down, the bike is scuffed a bit. Kid is new, it'll happen. Do you:1) Employ magic that'll never let his feelings or imaginary bike get hurt ever again!2) Check if he's okay then teach him how to maintain the bike in a good working condition for next time. (Otherwise that bike may eventually be unusable.)

Kid will outgrow that bike. Kids grow. Soon it will need new, bigger bike.

To be on topic:

• i'm talking about "leveling".
  • i never repair armor when leveling. Pointless. I'll need new one soon anyway
  • and when you are max level(or not new player) the cost of repair is irrelevant.

The whole thing about gear damage is pointless.

@"Pirogen.9561"

To be on topic:

• i'm talking about "leveling".
  • i never repair armor when leveling. Pointless. I'll need new one soon anyway
  • and when you are max level(or not new player) the cost of repair is irrelevant.

The whole thing about gear damage is pointless.

Yeaaah, I don't count leveling. It's just a tutorial system and repair costs usually account for the progression. Damage wouldn't matter there either like you explained.

The cost of repair doesn't have to be irrelevant though, especially in a game where it matters how you spend your gold. Gear taking damage is a traditional consequence to dying, for games that have no other means of enforcing a consequence beyond restarting that one fight or not beating a clock.

Repair costs (and any other form of permanent or temporary punishment for in-game deaths) aren't a logical consequence of death and make dying "mean something". They simply are an annoyance.

There are way too many ways to die in this game that are outside of your control, from technical issues (ever had any lag/disconnect) to human issues (great, yet another thief pulling too many mobs, then going invis to drop the aggro on the innocent player that happens to pass by at the wrong moment).

Punishing players for dying will make a lot of people think twice before coming to the help of a stranger that seems to be overwhelmed by mobs. Punishing players for dying will make a lot of people rage at others for getting them killed, often because the player that made the mistake didn't know any better. Punishing players for dying will make learning new fights and mechanics a lot more annoying, but in no way any more effective.

This game does a good job at providing mechanics that encourage people to learn and cooperate. Punishment isn't a way that encourages people to learn and improve. It's an outdated method that's been proven to teach nothing but how to get through at the expense of everyone else. Armor repair is fine as it is. Making it more annoying will be of no consequence to those that don't die anyway, while making the game a lot less fun for those who are still trying to learn.