Match Making worst ever

Rose.2593

The match making is the worst its ever been! What's the point of even trying if your always against teams that play so much better, the teams should be equal, but my win ratio is less than 1 in 3!

And then the points you lose in a defeat are always more than when you win so the ranking seems like its always going down as when you do with its not enough to make up the points you lost.

Doesn't seem to be a point to caring if you win or lose as your mostly nearly always losing!

I don't want to just be given wins but you should at least be in with a chance.

@"John.8507" said:The match making is the worst its ever been! What's the point of even trying if your always against teams that play so much better, the teams should be equal, but my win ratio is less than 1 in 3!

And then the points you lose in a defeat are always more than when you win so the ranking seems like its always going down as when you do with its not enough to make up the points you lost.

Doesn't seem to be a point to caring if you win or lose as your mostly nearly always losing!

I don't want to just be given wins but you should at least be in with a chance.

If you are suffering a 1/3 win loss ratio, I'd say that personal improvement is necessary at some point.

Watch good players stream, preferably those that play your class. Listen to their decision making, what matchups they take. Play the meta build, not something that you think is good. If you play a duelist, spend time practicing in 1v1s. If you play a roamer, learn when to +1 and when to disengage. Don't fall for the "die on point" meme, learn to kite. Think about respawns.

And the list goes on and on. There are so many little things that separate a good player from a bad one that are absolutely in reach for everyone to grasp.

But most importantly, learn to be critical of yourself. Don't go on forums and complain about broken spec / matchmaking / duo q's. Because you are not going to learn and improve if you are just throwing the fault on something else than yourself for your loss. Granted, sometimes external factors are decisive, but you can always, always, do better yourself.

It's low population like people are saying that leads to imbalanced, terrible matchmaking. I don't think that's necessarily the root cause because population decline at this level is usually caused by something else.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:I would say low population because many take a break from the game until the balance patch hits.

I doubt it's people waiting on the balance patch either. That isn't coming until after the season's over and that still needs to finish. People can't really afford to hold off playing for more than 3 days If this is Ranked we're talking about anyway. Unranked's population always dwindles slightly during Ranked season if that's what's meant.

@Ithilwen.1529 's solution actually works and it's pretty helpful. I recommend doing that if you're SoloQ and just hopelessly being matched against/with much higher/lower teammates. It's Queue-dodging basically, and Queue-dodging is part of the metagame, but it's really the only play SoloQ players have there.

I think people claims that the low population is negatively effecting the match making and how the algorithm performs are probably correct and unless this game some how draws in more new or returning players I don't think its gonna improve with out changes to the actual match making algorithm which not to be a downer neither will probably happen so...

@Tharan.9085 said:

Leave the queue and re-queue every 2 minutes or so.
This will tend to get you in more even matches as the matchmaker won't start expanding the ratings range.

The actuall threshold is 5 mins afaik

As I understand it, this could only really help if you are the player the matchmaker is trying to build around. You could always get sucked in with a different range of players as part of another game creation's rating expansion, or if the match you get slotted to starts expanding sooner than you expect because it's being built around someone else.

It's probably good advice, just wanted to point out that it probably doesn't fix most imbalances because I'd assume something like only 10% of your matches are actually being built on your rating directly.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

This will tend to get you in more even matches as the matchmaker won't start expanding the ratings range.

As I understand it, this could only really help if you are the player the matchmaker is trying to build around. You could always get sucked in with a different range of players as part of another game creation's rating expansion, or if the match you get slotted to starts expanding sooner than you expect because it's being built around someone else.

It's probably good advice, just wanted to point out that it probably doesn't fix most imbalances because I'd assume something like only 10% of your matches are actually being built on your rating directly.

True enough, which is why I worded it the way I did. Leaving the queue and re - entering before the search expands will tend to help you stay in matches that are close.

Two minutes has been working for me.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

True enough, which is why I worded it the way I did. Leaving the queue and re - entering before the search expands will
tend
to help you stay in matches that are close.

It’s actually just a myth. Dodging the que doesn’t effect the match making in any meaningful or positive sense and It doesn’t prevent you from being in a padded game.

If you read through and understand the matchmaker on the pseudo code on the wiki, you’d see that que-dodging just wouldn’t work, pretty much like kunzaito said.

The only time it actually can make sense to que dodge is to prevent yourself from becoming a padded player, by canceling your que after 5 minutes. If every player were to cancel their que in this way, then nobody would have any padded games.

Now it also could just be that the pseudo code is wrong and the 5 minute wait is actually 2 minutes (even though I think an anet dev confirmed it as 5 minutes) in which case you’d be okay.

From "low population" and "300 pool" i expect to see not exactly same 1-2 ppl in my team for 6 matches in a row. But this match making makes such things real! If it is random, they must be in another team 50% of time. I see such things pretty often. Once you start winning, match making puts someone to your team who helps you lose. Again and again. Exactly same person in your team.

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

True enough, which is why I worded it the way I did. Leaving the queue and re - entering before the search expands will
tend
to help you stay in matches that are close.

It’s actually just a myth. Dodging the que doesn’t effect the match making in any meaningful or positive sense and It doesn’t prevent you from being in a padded game.

If you read through and understand the matchmaker on the pseudo code on the wiki, you’d see that que-dodging just wouldn’t work, pretty much like kunzaito said.

The only time it actually can make sense to que dodge is to prevent yourself from becoming a padded player, by canceling your que after 5 minutes. If every player were to cancel their que in this way, then nobody would have any padded games.

Now it also could just be that the pseudo code is wrong and the 5 minute wait is actually 2 minutes (even though I think an anet dev confirmed it as 5 minutes) in which case you’d be okay.

I have found 2 minutes to be helpful. You may believe as you like. The fact remains that cutting off at 2 minutes will probably prevent the matchmaking range from expanding.

I'll try the queue time thing, i do normally play later at night in the EU so maybe thats why to, but I know I can improve, just a lot of the matches are with quite a big points difference, only some are close. When winning and losing as well.

Normally at least 200 - 250 points difference between the two sides, and then you get people complaining how bad everyone is, they should be the same level as the rest of the team, not divisions higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was going better, but now its gone to win, lose, win ,lose, and now lose, lose and lose, just lost four in a row on 2v2 due to bad match making with the player i got put with dying all the time, and not helping, leaving me 1v2 most the match:O

Its bad when you get the combat medic announcement for trying to keep your partner alive:O

Would be nice to play players your equal with instead of all this back and forth all the time.

at the moment its like 50% win ratio which is better than before i guess though, and did get to a higher division but due to bad match making since the update yesterday it seems to have gone wrong again!

I do like the 2v2 maps and game but just want consistent match making and playing people of equal skill not bouncing around all the time between players better or worse