Changing utility skills hotkeys or using mouse?

Damned.7938

Hello, I am new to GW 2 (Although i purchased the game when it came out, just my internet was laggy so I stopped)I wanted to ask - do good PvP players use mouse to activate utility (secondary) skills?I changed my hotkeys in order heal X ultimate C and other skills QER is this a good setup?Been playing as guardian and it is alright, but when i try to jump into pvp as a new class i feel overwhelmed.

I highly doubt that good players still "click" skills. Usually they've binded them in a way that is "within finger reach". If you're comfortable with your hotkeys then use them. There isn't a single solution for it. There's a lot of guides for this kind of stuff, for example:

. You can aswell check some streamers and see their bindings for example Sindrener.My binds are like 1-6 normal, 7-9 on mouse, 0 is on C.You can aswell try Q-6, E-7, R-8, F-9, and elite can stay on C.
  • Thanks 1

@Damned.7938 said:Hello, I am new to GW 2 (Although i purchased the game when it came out, just my internet was laggy so I stopped)I wanted to ask - do good PvP players use mouse to activate utility (secondary) skills?I changed my hotkeys in order heal X ultimate C and other skills QER is this a good setup?Been playing as guardian and it is alright, but when i try to jump into pvp as a new class i feel overwhelmed.

depends on how you play and on WHAT you play.when I played on my laptop I preety much used everything baseline and I had everything within reach, but when I moved to PC and bought a keyboard, the keys were futher apart so I had to move F4 to my mouse.In general q,e,r,t,1,2,3,4,f1,f2,f3 should be good, depends on the size of your keyboard and how long your finger are and what you are used to and if you have other keybinds on them.for example I have discord keybinds and mouse sensitivity setings on my mouse so I cant put any more hotkeys there.z and c is good too but it limits your movement, its hard to WASD and use/hold C. thats why I binded weapon stow there, becouse its not used very often.

Let me dumb it down for you.You got 2 hands, Left hand is in charge of WSAD movement on top of about 5 skills (by default). You have your right hand pressing 2 buttons and "aiming" (insert camera rotation, general character orientation, etc). Does it make sense that you can offload further strain on your left hand, thus ENABLING you to perform more actions per second cohesively?

YES/NO?

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro, but I've just started to contemplate keybinds and I'm at a loss. I've been a casual player of MMO's for years but I've been wanting to step up my game. I've always just used the mouse to execute the skills. I wouldn't say I'm an amazing player, but I'm definitely someone who doesn't die constantly when doing meta content (Dragonfall, Verdant Brink, etc). I'm good enough (with my lowly mouse clicks) to help other people and to solo some Champions (not all, but some...and it definitely depends on the class as to which Champions I can solo...Ranger is my main btw). But I want to be better, and I'm thinking  at this point, the next step has to be keybinding. 

To that end...I don't see how it can physically be possible to control movement with wasd and still be able to hit any of my number keys while still having fingers on wasd. I can handle tapping q and e (and maybe r)..maybe shift and caps with my pinky...but any of the number keys is out and the f keys might as well be a mile away, lol. I have a standard keyboard (Razer Huntsman). I have a standard mouse with center roller (is a button) and two buttons on the thumb side. I could get used to using those. Anything having to do with the numpad is out, because my hand is on the mouse. 

I'm kind of just at a loss trying to work this all out in my head, lol

Edited by DragonMoon.6098

Click and rightclick is "move forward". You can absolutely do that for a quarter second as you move away from wasd to click a number. Or just tap r for run. There are few instances in which actual, live, reactive wasdaing is required while executing skills, and most of those are confined to PvP/WvW.

Binding skills 6-0 to shift+1-5, and ditto F1-5 to alt+1-5 is a good idea. Mouse side button for dodge (and unbind it from keyboard). Have stow weapon somewhere handy, like q.

6 minutes ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

Sorry for the necro, but I've just started to contemplate keybinds and I'm at a loss. I've been a casual player of MMO's for years but I've been wanting to step up my game. I've always just used the mouse to execute the skills. I wouldn't say I'm an amazing player, but I'm definitely someone who doesn't die constantly when doing meta content (Dragonfall, Verdant Brink, etc). I'm good enough (with my lowly mouse clicks) to help other to people and to solo some Champions (not all, but some...and it definitely depends on the class as to which Champions I can solo...Ranger is my main btw). But I want to be better, and I'm thinking  at this point, the next step has to be keybinding. 

To that end...I don't see how it can physically be possible to control movement with wasd and still be able to hit any of my number keys while still having fingers on wasd. I can handle tapping q and e (and maybe r)..maybe shift and caps with my pinky...but any of the number keys is out and the f keys might as well be a mile away, lol. I have a standard keyboard (Razer Huntsman). I have a standard mouse with center roller (is a button) and two buttons on the thumb side. I could get used to using those. Anything having to do with the numpad is out, because my hand is on the mouse. 

I could not imagine using my keyboard for any of that.  I use W and F because you just kind of have to.  For everything  else I use my trackball. The ASDWhatever is archaic and slow.  I never had any issue using the mouse on the icons for  attacks. 

My trackball (Elecom M-HT1UR) has 8 buttons but I have never programmed any for GW2.   The scroll wheel and big ball make movement a breeze. 

1 hour ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I could not imagine using my keyboard for any of that.  I use W and F because you just kind of have to.  For everything  else I use my trackball. The ASDWhatever is archaic and slow.  I never had any issue using the mouse on the icons for  attacks. 

My trackball (Elecom M-HT1UR) has 8 buttons but I have never programmed any for GW2.   The scroll wheel and big ball make movement a breeze. 

I watched the video someone posted above and though I was made to feel like a peon for my mouse clicking, I do see his point and I also see his point that I need to find something that works for me...because what works for someone else likely won't work for me. 

I am able to do most of the content I want to do, even with using mouse clicks...I don't PvP (at all), and I don't raid (at all). I don't want to. I solo almost 100% and only LFG for meta stuff and trains when they are available (I don't make my own groups) or I'll just join an open squad when I come across a commander tag. I've only barely touched Fractals and I really don't have interest in them short of doing them to get what I need for specific gear (needed to do them for Mawdrey and the Tigris precursor). Same with WvW...though I have found it fun, it is a little too high pressure and intense for me to enjoy short of just going into it with the goal of getting what I need for Legendary weapons (Gift of Battle, etc). 

I'll have to play around with trying out some keybinding...at the very least dodge, weapon swap, and stow weapon (which I'll be honest and say I didn't even know stow weapon existed). 

I moved strafe left and right (default Q & E) to A & D, respectively.  Repurposed Q & E for 7 & 8.  Moved 9 to C and 6 to left shift.  0 (elite skill) is on a button on my mouse, along with the special action key.  I have big hands, so only F5 really gives me any trouble, but that is still doable for me.  Weapon swap is still on the default ` (tilda), and tab still does target selection.  X is still the default mount button (which I normally leave on skyscale) and Z is the mount button for jackal.  That works well for me in every gamemode - PvE, PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids, & Strike missions, and for all my toons.  Then I just reorder the utility skills on the bar to which ones I use often, and try to keep my CC and stun break utilities in the same slot so I can rely on muscle memory when the pressure is on.

This works well for me, but, you do have to find what works best for you.

5 minutes ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

I moved strafe left and right (default Q & E) to A & D, respectively.  Repurposed Q & E for 7 & 8.  Moved 9 to C and 6 to left shift.  0 (elite skill) is on a button on my mouse, along with the special action key.  I have big hands, so only F5 really gives me any trouble, but that is still doable for me.  Weapon swap is still on the default ` (tilda), and tab still does target selection.  X is still the default mount button (which I normally leave on skyscale) and Z is the mount button for jackal.  That works well for me in every gamemode - PvE, PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids, & Strike missions, and for all my toons.  Then I just reorder the utility skills on the bar to which ones I use often, and try to keep my CC and stun break utilities in the same slot so I can rely on muscle memory when the pressure is on.

This works well for me, but, you do have to find what works best for you.

F5 is legit like 4" away from my hand, lol. 

4 minutes ago, Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.294 said:

It's only about 2-2.5 for me.  I'm using a Logitech G110 keyboard.

Mine is the Razer Huntsman Elite with the linear optical switches (super comfy to type on). It feels like a standard size keyboard, compared to a lot of the mini keyboards I see out there. In fact, finding a full-size and still stylish keyboard was rather difficult. But I also don't have big hands...at least I don't think I do. 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098

7 hours ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

Sorry for the necro, but I've just started to contemplate keybinds and I'm at a loss. I've been a casual player of MMO's for years but I've been wanting to step up my game. I've always just used the mouse to execute the skills. I wouldn't say I'm an amazing player, but I'm definitely someone who doesn't die constantly when doing meta content (Dragonfall, Verdant Brink, etc). I'm good enough (with my lowly mouse clicks) to help other people and to solo some Champions (not all, but some...and it definitely depends on the class as to which Champions I can solo...Ranger is my main btw). But I want to be better, and I'm thinking  at this point, the next step has to be keybinding. 

You just need to get used to it. It's not like your hand is glued to WSAD, you move your fingers around keyboard, if something is "out of reach" I simply change my fingers pressing on movement keys while also reaching for the keys I need.
I have a mouse with few additional buttons which 3 of them are near my thumb. I've binded 7, 8, 9 to these 3 buttons.
In case of keyboard, 1-6  and F1-F4 is the same, but I've binded 0 to C and F5 to Z. No changes to movement key binds. Shift+W for autorun, R for stow weapon, X for special action, B for about face, V of course evade.
On top of that my keyboard have 5 additional buttons on left side of rest keys, which I use for all mounts.

58 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

You just need to get used to it. It's not like your hand is glued to WSAD, you move your fingers around keyboard, if something is "out of reach" I simply change my fingers pressing on movement keys while also reaching for the keys I need.
I have a mouse with few additional buttons which 3 of them are near my thumb. I've binded 7, 8, 9 to these 3 buttons.
In case of keyboard, 1-6  and F1-F4 is the same, but I've binded 0 to C and F5 to Z. No changes to movement key binds. Shift+W for autorun, R for stow weapon, X for special action, B for about face, V of course evade.
On top of that my keyboard have 5 additional buttons on left side of rest keys, which I use for all mounts.

It feels like forcing something that doesn't come naturally, lol...like when my grandfather tried to make me a righty as a kid when I'm actually a lefty haha. 

9 hours ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

I do see his point and I also see his point that I need to find something that works for me...because what works for someone else likely won't work for me. 

That is the key right there.  Everyone's needs are different.  It is good to play around with different setups, but whatever works for you, is right for you.  I have played, and enjoyed, keyboard games, but GW2 has always been a mouse game for me.  Not sure why - but it works for me. 😎

On 2/22/2020 at 11:59 AM, Damned.7938 said:

Hello, I am new to GW 2 (Although i purchased the game when it came out, just my internet was laggy so I stopped)I wanted to ask - do good PvP players use mouse to activate utility (secondary) skills?I changed my hotkeys in order heal X ultimate C and other skills QER is this a good setup?Been playing as guardian and it is alright, but when i try to jump into pvp as a new class i feel overwhelmed.

What ever is comfy for you is the best setup, no such thing as optimal everyone's dexterity finger lengths and equipment is different.

Edited by Genesis.5169