How long does it take to get better at PvP?

Damned.7938

I have been playing for one week only and tried few classes - Guardian, Warrior, Revenent and mesmer.My favorite is guardian with dragonslayer profession, I use a lot of defence and have mixed skills.I have couple of shouts, damage trap, swiftness and sigil heal.Although i notice sometimes i lose guardian vs guardian and it really frustrates me, yes sometimes i mess a hotkey but i sadly that it often comes to death and i rotate my screen weirdly sometimes.I mainly played League of legends a lot and was good upped mediocare player after 3 months of daily playing.I used to play a little bit of smite and it is really similar to it, but i was a noob at it as i am a noob at GW 2 pvp.When did you improve at PVP? What suggestions do you have for me?Thank you.

One of the most crucial thing would be learning how to quickly identify what kind of build your opponents are using. Then you have to know their general strength and weakness as well as the same for your own build.

You should also browse through some places with lists of builds like metabattle and check out what sort of strategies they try to employ to more easily figure out the builds and to know how to deal with them. Even if you don't play all the builds you need to have a general idea of what they will do. Some build guides will point out things to watch out for when using that build which can also come in handy.

@Damned.7938 said:I have been playing for one week only and tried few classes - Guardian, Warrior, Revenent and mesmer.My favorite is guardian with dragonslayer profession, I use a lot of defence and have mixed skills.I have couple of shouts, damage trap, swiftness and sigil heal.Although i notice sometimes i lose guardian vs guardian and it really frustrates me, yes sometimes i mess a hotkey but i sadly that it often comes to death and i rotate my screen weirdly sometimes.I mainly played League of legends a lot and was good upped mediocare player after 3 months of daily playing.I used to play a little bit of smite and it is really similar to it, but i was a noob at it as i am a noob at GW 2 pvp.When did you improve at PVP? What suggestions do you have for me?Thank you.

That's really not something anybody can answer for you beyond sharing their own experience. I can tell you that being skilled at a different type of gameplay such as MOBA or FPS doesn't necessarily translate into ability in an MMO (although it can't really hurt either!). Regardless, 1 week is nothing. There are players who do nothing but pvp/wvw and have been at it since 2012.

Having said that, there is plenty of opportunity in this game. It doesn't have a huge PvP population, so if you do practice and become good at it, there's a real chance you could be competitive in the top tier.

From my experience from 4000 hours in Dota 2, for PvP in general you need to read a lot and research at the beginning to get an idea about how things work out, then you start by trying playing for some matches and ask new questions and search for them like that until you get your feet in the ground and then start practicing all over with the will to learn from your mistakes and analyze the matches rather than being a robot who plays just for the sake of playing.

Ofcourse your mechanical skill gonna handicap you at some level but don't let this turn you off, you can take breaks from sPvP and play PvE to avoid being trapped in mmr hell cause of your mechanical skills limits.

@Damned.7938 said:I have been playing for one week only and tried few classes - Guardian, Warrior, Revenent and mesmer.My favorite is guardian with dragonslayer profession, I use a lot of defence and have mixed skills.I have couple of shouts, damage trap, swiftness and sigil heal.Although i notice sometimes i lose guardian vs guardian and it really frustrates me, yes sometimes i mess a hotkey but i sadly that it often comes to death and i rotate my screen weirdly sometimes.I mainly played League of legends a lot and was good upped mediocare player after 3 months of daily playing.I used to play a little bit of smite and it is really similar to it, but i was a noob at it as i am a noob at GW 2 pvp.When did you improve at PVP? What suggestions do you have for me?Thank you.

A few months. You'll have to study:

• All classes. Learn what something is strong against or weak to. What makes it hard is how much information there is due to how many options there are in making builds
  • Jumping locations and other positional things about all the maps
  • Your own build. What are your attacking or defending options

You will instantly become better than 90% of players by just a small amount of studying whatever build you are using and making basic plans. If your mouse profiles reset or your wireless mouse loses connection during the game that's the dev's checking if you're a bot. It's really annoying when they do it to you multiple times a day.