Greatsword and Domination Updates — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Mesmer

Greatsword and Domination Updates

I like the updates and rework which is more effective and efficient. I like that Mirror Blade can bounce up to 6 times now. The only thing I miss is the boomerang effect of Phantasmal Berserker. Did this really need to be removed?

Comments

• Blur.3465Blur.3465 Member ✭✭✭

I do hope that Greatsword Mesmer in general becomes more used in higher tier content (PvE).
    So far the only good Greatsword build that we had was the farming one.

• Terrorhuz.4695Terrorhuz.4695 Member ✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020

I really think the update is everything EXCEPT effective and efficient. Now gs trait... doesn't reduce gs cooldowns? Why's that?
    And why the trait that increases damage on gs phantasm is on the same tier as the trait that increases the damage on phantasms? They do basically the same thing and the devs place them in the same tier so they compete against each other? IDK, guys. The game wasn't exactly good before, but right now is boredom.
    Burst once, then autoattack for 10 seconds. Wait and repeat. Gs4 lost all cleaving capabilities and got a radical CD increase (as if it wasn't easy enough to dodge anyway), gs2 is meh at the very best.

The only thing I like is the increased cooldown on mass invisibility. That was much needed.

• Blur.3465Blur.3465 Member ✭✭✭

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:
    I really think the update is everything EXCEPT effective and efficient. Now gs trait... doesn't reduce gs cooldowns? Why's that?
    And why the trait that increases damage on gs phantasm is on the same tier as the trait that increases the damage on phantasms? They do basically the same thing and the devs place them in the same tier so they compete against each other? IDK, guys. The game wasn't exactly good before, but right now is boredom.
    Burst once, then autoattack for 10 seconds. Wait and repeat. Gs4 lost all cleaving capabilities and got a radical CD increase (as if it wasn't easy enough to dodge anyway), gs2 is meh at the very best.

The only thing I like is the increased cooldown on mass invisibility. That was much needed.

Big yikes then.
    I really hoped Mesmer would get a decent GS build for more serious/harder PvE content.
    Sounds like GS won't be seeing improvements for Dungeons and Fractals then :(

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

Domination new GM trait, Vicious Expression, adds 25% damage to mobs with no boons in PvE. In all likely hood, Domination now is damage power king for all Mesmer in power builds in PvE. Meta build surely will be dueling/domination/chrono.

As for GS being end game PvE viable, dunno, it does not seem like it. Not that it was realistically expected to compete in end game.. It does better damage overall now.

• NICENIKESHOE.7128NICENIKESHOE.7128 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020

@Blur.3465 said:
    I do hope that Greatsword Mesmer in general becomes more used in higher tier content (PvE).
    So far the only good Greatsword build that we had was the farming one.

Power chrono do use GS in raid, though I haven't got time to test it out the new dps. I wasn't expecting Vicious Expression to do 25% more damage to boonless foes in PvE but my God that would really compensated slight loss in losing empowered illusion and give way more damage now.

This is how it was played before the patch, overall flow shouldn't be impacted by the patch

[RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

• They forgot to remove the stun from the new Bountiful Blades. ^ . ^

• 25% is way too broken for a trait where enemies rarely have boons in PVE, and even adds more boonstrip on cc.

From what I’m hearing, and using quick math, numbers are going to go crazy following this patch:

• DT domi pchrono (gs): 43-45k
    • DT domi pchrono (focus): 41-43k
    • IA domi pchrono: 33-35k
    • pCore mes: 32-33k
    • pMirage: ~27k

Meanwhile:

• DT illu pchrono: 34.4k
    • IA/IR illu pchrono: 27-28k

IMO, ~10% would’ve been much more appropriate. Now that Domi is so bloated, it’s questionable why Illu has weaker illusions in comparison even though it’s supposedly meant to focus on illusions.

pChrono (main), cWeaver and pReaper. An asura who likes snowflakes.

• Leonidrex.5649Leonidrex.5649 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:
    25% is way too broken for a trait where enemies rarely have boons in PVE, and even adds more boonstrip on cc.

From what I’m hearing, and using quick math, numbers are going to go crazy following this patch:

Meanwhile:

IMO, ~10% would’ve been much more appropriate. Now that Domi is so bloated, it’s questionable why Illu has weaker illusions in comparison even though it’s supposedly meant to focus on illusions.

did you take into account that
    1 GS4 loses boomerang on sword ( 1 less hit )
    2 GS4 loses 33% dmg per berserker instead of 25%
    3 GS2 loses 15% dmg per bounce ( this didnt exist )
    25% dmg straight up is too much, it should propably be lowered to 15%, same as pvp.

• Curunen.8729Curunen.8729 Member ✭✭✭✭

Messing around with GS on mirage in pve... lol the buffs make it even more ridiculous the difference between pve mirage and wvw/pvp mirage.

My ears, how are you! | Hammer Mesmer - elite spec concept.

• viquing.8254viquing.8254 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2020

@Yoci.2481 said:
    They forgot to remove the stun from the new Bountiful Blades. ^ . ^

I noticed this too, :)
    Well, should be fixed soon...

• @Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:
    25% is way too broken for a trait where enemies rarely have boons in PVE, and even adds more boonstrip on cc.

Meanwhile:

25% dmg straight up is too much, it should propably be lowered to 15%, same as pvp.

From what I hear (ppl posting this in discord and stuff):

• DT domi pchrono (gs): someone has already reached 43k
    • DT domi pchrono (focus): someone has already reached 41k

From what I quickly math'ed:

where IA did not synergise well with GS, and GS is a much weaker choice without Chronophantasma. Hence these builds use(d) focus (and were not subject to GS nerfs).

• Sorry for the noob question but what's DT?

• @Leonidrex.5649 said:

The boomerang does <500 dps in the overall rotation, mirror blade does around 3k dps in the old 37k.
    But yeah keep in mind the new GS trait also means you lose out on 10% empowered illusion in adept major.
    Take that into account with the 8% loss in iberserker, 15% damage buff would probably bring it back to the original number

• @Ishutoki.2098 said:
    Sorry for the noob question but what's DT?

Danger time, assuming chrono tank could maintain slow with delayed reaction. Achievable when chain with shield phants (with chronophantasma) + well of action + F3. Though probably much more realistic on actual boss for groups with 2 chronos.

• @Noodle Ant.1605 said:

where IA did not synergise well with GS, and GS is a much weaker choice without Chronophantasma. Hence these builds use(d) focus (and were not subject to GS nerfs).

New benchmark, played pretty much the same

• @NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

Might just be me, or the numbers for GS seem a bit off. I can see that the vid uses bountiful blades over empowered illusions which may or may not be optimal, and apparently the old rotation(?) (you might need to look this up). Alternatively, it could be all those ppl claiming that there is a 42.5k bench somewhere (but with non-existent proof :lol:).

I'd try testing this myself, but afaik I'm incapable of doing benchmarks thanks to avg 300 ping, and I'm currently far more interested in examining what is left behind in the rise of DT - pchrono in no-slow (non-raiding) conditions and core mes with its more frequent and shorter bursts (and technically power mirage, which is currently best played exactly like a weakened version of core anyway).

• Did Mirror Blades also lose combo finisher: projectile? I searched the patch notes and no mention of it and its not in the tooltip anymore. :(

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2020

@Yoci.2481 said:

If there's one thing that is going to be hotfixed it's that one. You can count on it.

Played a little mesmer, phantasmal berserker dealing 2k max with all the offensive traitlines it's hilarious.
    Oneshot? Just light armor if you got lucky.
    So, sustain is trash, sustain damage was always trash, and now burst in just a nail above trash. GJ ANerf. Now all monkeys can play the game without minding mesmers.

The degenerate

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

@Yoci.2481 said:

If there's one thing that is going to be hotfixed it's that one. You can count on it.

Played a little mesmer, phantasmal berserker dealing 2k max with all the offensive traitlines it's hilarious.
    Oneshot? Just light armor if you got lucky.
    So, sustain is trash, sustain damage was always trash, and now burst in just a nail above trash. GJ ANerf. Now all monkeys can play the game without minding mesmers.

I fought power mirage on my necro.
    gs4+gs2+gs3+ambush with clones+f1, ALMOST took 40% of my shroud.
    I could legit win without using dodges at all, just run through like moron into every single ability and I would not die, even when I tried with all my might I could not drop under 50% no mater how kitten terrible I played. Too bad that after he used 1 dodge he got CC chained for 4s and had to run leaving his teammate 2v1 xd.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭✭

From the informal testing I did last night using a Domination-Illusions-Chrono build in open world, it seems like the damage is less concentrated in the Phantasmal Berserkers than before, and more spread over the entire build, particularly Mirror Blades. The play style is still the same, just how things perform across the build is a little different. I wonder if Duelling vs. Illusions in the build would make any difference.

• Levetty.1279Levetty.1279 Member ✭✭✭

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

Meanwhile:

It is PvE.

Look I'm sorry some Mesmer killed you in PvP but you need to get over it, trying to seek revenge isn't healthy.

• Vicious Expression: Reduced the damage bonus from 25% to 15% in PvE only.

Yep, the only thing making up for our serious DPS issues with this patch had to be nerfed immediately. A functional class wasn't important enough for a massive patch in development for a long time, but taking back our one compensation demanded a hotfix.

edited February 27, 2020

@Ceit.1869 said:

Vicious Expression: Reduced the damage bonus from 25% to 15% in PvE only.

Yep, the only thing making up for our serious DPS issues with this patch had to be nerfed immediately. A functional class wasn't important enough for a massive patch in development for a long time, but taking back our one compensation demanded a hotfix.

Looks like the people throwing a tantrum got their way... again.

• @Levetty.1279 said:
    Looks like the people throwing a tantrum got their way... again.

It works so well for the haters, no wonder they stick with it. As far as build diversity for PvE goes they seem to have decided we should be required to use run speed runes or go chrono with the loss of most of our Cripple sources. I'm sort of scared to pop into HoT areas, but limiting cripple to an ability that requires you stand still to use it is pretty painful. It's like they're in mourning for pre-nerf pocket raptors and feel like someone has to suffer old-school.

With the whole non-functional glass cannon thing they're going for someone with better skills than I needs to do a video of us getting roflstomped to the tune of Crystal Method's "Broken Glass".

• Lincolnbeard.1735Lincolnbeard.1735 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

Bountiful Blades

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:

Called it.

They changed the trait because of the qq, it was obvious they wouldn't let it stay with the stun for long.

This game will be dead in less than a year, not because of mesmers, but because of their reiterated pathetic decisions.

The degenerate

• Odik.4587Odik.4587 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

@Lincolnbeard.1735 said:
    This game will be dead in less than a year, not because of mesmers, but because of their reiterated pathetic decisions.

I guess it was their intentional idea. I like it

• lare.5129lare.5129 Member ✭✭✭✭

this benchmark is fake. 100% boon uptime on non moved target in ideal world. The real dps will be 8x smaller.

• @lare.5129 said:

this benchmark is fake. 100% boon uptime on non moved target in ideal world. The real dps will be 8x smaller.

lol do you even raid? Benchmark is about showing maximum potential, ofc it'll be lower for actual boss but same reduction applied to other classes.
    And no it won't be 8x lower.

edited February 27, 2020

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    lol do you even raid?

no, currently I don't go raids at all and from 7 years have aprox 70 lee. I don't like toxic people.

Benchmark is about showing maximum potential

you mean "potential with 100% ALL boons uptime, and 100% debuf utime on one place stand not small hitbox" ?
    if yes, this is "cosmo numbers", without any mind.

9? or 10?

• @lare.5129 said:

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    lol do you even raid?

no, currently I don't go raids at all and from 7 years have aprox 70 lee. I don't like toxic people.

Benchmark is about showing maximum potential

you mean "potential with 100% ALL boons uptime, and 100% debuf utime on one place stand not small hitbox" ?
    if yes, this is "cosmo numbers", without any mind.

9? or 10?

Sorry if it sounds toxic to you, but I'm stating a fact with simple argument. I made no personal attacks at all if you look carefully.

To be honest if you don't raid then why are you comment on it like you understand though?
    The boons in those video is achieveable by 10 men group, in fact easily achieveable in most competent group.
    Yes boss will have those debuff.
    Yes many bosses will tend to stand still with a good tank.
    And yes it is not uncommon for boss to take 20k+ damage from good players or even higher, you want me to link actual raid fight with arcdps?

Please try to inform yourself before brushing off an unfamiliar content because of "toxic people". Its this negligence that cause new players to not attempt at all, not because of some forum post that tries to educate people about builds and rotations.

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    To be honest if you don't raid then why are you comment on it like you understand though?

this is topic about mesmer, and greatsword update and some other suggestion. Why some people found tie only in raid context I do not know.

• Most likely because they concentrate on raiding and thus feel it's the only important part of the game. That kind of narrow view is pretty natural, it's a big game and most people don't do all of fractals, regular dungeons, raids, open world bosses, solo pve, wvw, spvp, and speedrunning. For that matter Anet themselves seem to forget anything but spvp, wvw, and a bit of raiding exists.

I just wanna say that I like how their GS update change from
    Focus -> pull + better burst
    GS -> better sustained dps.
    to Focus -> better at everything
    GS -> feels cool but is worse in every other way.
    RIP my 10g from sigils xd

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lare.5129 said:
    this is topic about mesmer, and greatsword update and some other suggestion. Why some people found tie only in raid context I do not know.

I am not a raider. But seeing builds operating at max DPS in a raid or test dummy context is helpful in guessing how those builds will perform under other circumstances.

• @lare.5129 said:

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:

@Ceit.1869 said:
    Most likely because they concentrate on raiding and thus feel it's the only important part of the game. That kind of narrow view is pretty natural, it's a big game and most people don't do all of fractals, regular dungeons, raids, open world bosses, solo pve, wvw, spvp, and speedrunning. For that matter Anet themselves seem to forget anything but spvp, wvw, and a bit of raiding exists.

Except I do participate in all aspects of the game, and knowing max potential coming from the patch changes does not barricade me from enjoying the rest of the contents or use similar rotation/build, be that open world/fractal/WvW/sPvP.

Don't speak of me as "they" like I'm some kind of others, in the end I'm a mesmer player as well. And you do not know how I spend my time in game so don't assume that either.

Its disturbing really, I tried to stay on topic to show how GS/Domination trait changes can affect mesmer but you and Iare are derailing it to a "raid vs other" argument to prove your point that benchmark is "fake", whatever that means. This will be the last time I speak about this "raid vs other" topic, whether people learn from it is up to them. I cannot control how you guys play, but dismissing raid discussion because of some personal preference is extremely rude and not helpful in improving community as a whole.

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    Please try to inform yourself before brushing off an unfamiliar content because of "toxic people".

Considering raiders have become worse then PvPers for asking for nerfs and randomly hating classes even though its a cooperative mode it is a perfectly valid reason to not raid. The fact that Anet listens to them means they deserve to have the content ignored.

• @Levetty.1279 said:
    Considering raiders have become worse then PvPers for asking for nerfs and randomly hating classes even though its a cooperative mode it is a perfectly valid reason to not raid. The fact that Anet listens to them means they deserve to have the content ignored.

Honestly, a lot of classes deserve to be nerfed. Chrono, Guardian, Revenant, warrior just to name a few. Damage is through the roof. Do you think a class should be able to get a 42k (Now 39k) benchmark while being able to provide quickness? Yes, you have to stack them but that only makes it worse tbh. The same class still has good CC btw.
    Warrior and Renegade currently Bench 37k on the golem. If they bring alacrity and banners it drops to ~34k while immsensly increasing the DPS of the entire group. Stuff like this just shouldnt be possible.

• Noodle Ant.1605Noodle Ant.1605 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

Quick update of PvE numbers:

• DT domi pchrono (focus): someone reached 40k
    • DT domi pchrono (gs): 38k-40k (less than focus but not worse than before)
    • IA/IR domi pchrono: ~31k
    • pCore mes: ~28k
    • pMirage: ~23k

Just a heads up, I believe they restored the unlisted-unlisted 15% dmg bonus for 2/3 clone Mind Wrack/Split Second in between the patches, at the very least for PvE.

Final numbers will be listed in the thread where I'm keeping track of the performance of power mesmer builds.

• Fangoth.3164Fangoth.3164 Member ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

@Ceit.1869 said:
    Most likely because they concentrate on raiding and thus feel it's the only important part of the game. That kind of narrow view is pretty natural, it's a big game and most people don't do all of fractals, regular dungeons, raids, open world bosses, solo pve, wvw, spvp, and speedrunning. For that matter Anet themselves seem to forget anything but spvp, wvw, and a bit of raiding exists.

If you forget spvp wvw and raiding i'd say anet should get a 80% damage debuff so player can enjoy fighting monsters instead of oneshoting them all. 70% for necromancers so they are bit more balanced, poor things

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

welcome to legendary items world

• Pregnantman.8259Pregnantman.8259 Member ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

If you forget spvp wvw and raiding i'd say anet should get a 80% damage debuff so player can enjoy fighting monsters instead of oneshoting them all. 70% for necromancers so they are bit more balanced, poor things

unironically thinking necros need a damage buff in open world
    Also people gear offensively to be able to oneshot regular mobs. Making the mobs last 5 times longer is not really engaging, and it will be the support builds that couldn't oneshot mobs to begin with that will get the brunt of such a change

edited February 27, 2020

@Jimbru.6014 said:
    be able to get a 42k (Now 39k) benchmark while being able to provide quickness?

than class with this build provide aproc 0 (zero) quickness
    I long time play as support chrno before nerf in scourge setup, and sure that for supp build dps changes is very small. I mean there is no big point is yours dps 3200 or 3800.

main mind: I am sure that bech use infusions whit stats, so remove some part of dps too from normal players.

@lare.5129 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

welcome to legendary items world

stopped making astralaria the moment they gave us 1 dodge meme, i mean on dodge man

• Fangoth.3164Fangoth.3164 Member ✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020

@Pregnantman.8259 said:

unironically thinking necros need a damage buff in open world
    Also people gear offensively to be able to oneshot regular mobs. Making the mobs last 5 times longer is not really engaging, and it will be the support builds that couldn't oneshot mobs to begin with that will get the brunt of such a change

-70% damage you call that a buff lol
    Playing support for what? There is no group to support, some squad are made for metas and workd boss and it is mostly group 1 people, group 2 com so ppl can taxi. How can a support player even support anyone when his heal or boon are randomized between 40 player?
    Wait how do you even need support player when monster die before you loose hp even with no boons 😳 reducing overal damage or increasing monster hp would at least give a purpose to support player. Dps would need boon to kill monster faster and also healers to stay alive, but none of these are needed due to monsters being way too weak in open world

• @lare.5129 said:

@Jimbru.6014 said:
    be able to get a 42k (Now 39k) benchmark while being able to provide quickness?

than class with this build provide aproc 0 (zero) quickness

Read one sentence further. Its not a problem if you are alone. Its a huge problem when you stack them.
    They did change FmW because of that. Sure its still strong and for most groups doesnt really matter. You can still do that with another Chrono an 10 man SoI. They didnt change Timewarp though. And that skill is a mess. Its bad for support chronos due to how quickness stacks and too strong for DPS Chronos.

main mind: I am sure that bech use infusions whit stats, so remove some part of dps too from normal players.

Infusions are ~2% DPS. ~38k for Chronos and ~33k for Warrior/Renegade is still way too strong for what they provide.

• Zoser.7245Zoser.7245 Member ✭✭✭

Hotfix:

Mesmer:

• Vicious Expression: Reduced the damage bonus from 25% to 15% in PvE only.
    • Bountiful Blades: Fixed a bug that caused this trait to grant the old functionality for Confounding Suggestions.
  • @RaidsAreEasyAF.8652 said:
    Infusions are ~2% DPS. ~38k for Chronos and ~33k for Warrior/Renegade is still way too strong for what they provide.

Congratulations on your ability to ignore everything else in the discussion for the sake of your desire for more nerfs of a class that's already under-represented in many/most modes. I'll sympathize more when you're not cherry-picking things in hopes that we'll all convert to your hate and switch to playing thieves with better stealth, burst, and CC.

• @Ceit.1869 said:
    Congratulations on your ability to ignore everything else in the discussion for the sake of your desire for more nerfs of a class that's already under-represented in many/most modes. I'll sympathize more when you're not cherry-picking things in hopes that we'll all convert to your hate and switch to playing thieves with better stealth, burst, and CC.

Probably should have stated that i was refering to raids. But sure, you can also be an kitten about it. I didnt ignore everything else in this thread. I choose not to say anything about it because i simply dont play PvP or WvW. It wouldnt make sense to discuss modes i dont know.

I dont know why you bring thief into this discussen and why you think im hating. Im not.