Energy Generation Ideas

Shadowwaka.1952

Hey all, a friend and I were thinking about the common complaint of lack of energy generation options outside of waiting / swapping legends for Rev, and I thought I'd share some ideas on that here.One idea is that the trait lines you select for your build will provide minor ways to gain energy individually, but considering you have 3 options of potential energy generation, it'll add up. Here's a rundown for each Spec:

• DevastationMinor - Gain 1 energy when striking a foe with vulnerability (alternate: when life-stealing). 1 second Internal Cooldown (ICD)Major - Gain 5 energy when striking a foe below 50% health. 3 second ICD
  • RetributionMinor - Gain 1 energy when damaging a foe via retaliation. 1 second ICDMajor - Gain 5 energy when evading an attack. 3 second ICD
  • CorruptionMinor - Gain 1 energy when applying a condition to a foe. 1 second ICDMajor - Gain 5 energy when striking a foe with over 3 different conditions on them. 3 second ICD
  • InvocationIncrease energy gain from minor (now 2 energy) and major (now 7 energy)
  • SalvationMinor - Gain 1 energy when healing an ally. 1 second ICDMajor - Gain 5 energy when reviving an ally. 3 second ICD
  • HeraldMinor - Gain 1 energy when applying a boon to an ally. 1 second ICDMajor - Gain 5 energy when you break a stun. 3 second ICD
  • RenegadeMinor - Gain 1 energy when critically striking an enemy. 1 second ICDMajor - Gain 5 energy when you gain fury. 3 second ICD

I just wanted to note that Invocation gets its own unique deal because I felt that, by taking it, you're empowering you ability to swap between legends (and getting more specialized at their energy generating functions) while foregoing additional energy production options, so you may not have as many options, but the ones you do have benefit you more. I also want to say that the ICD times and energy gains are just off the top of my head, but I do feel that ICDs should be set in place to prevent insane energy recovery from one source. Feel free to tear this idea apart / discuss!

Tl;dr - The specializations you choose for your build give you ways to gain energy in combat

Bonus question - How do you feel about Alacrity boosting energy regeneration? For instance, as long as you are gaining energy and have Alacrity, you energy regeneration is boosted to (current regeneration * 1.33)

The problem with energy regeneration, is that it would be mandatory, removing whatever little customisation this class has left. That's the main reason why Anet was against adding energy management traits.

I think the only way it would work was for it to be a skill, and specifically an legend skill. Something like an inverted upkeep skill. But while this would add a different playstyle to that specific legend, it wouldn't fix the profession as a whole.

@DiogoSilva.7089 said:The problem with energy regeneration, is that it would be mandatory, removing whatever little customisation this class has left. That's the main reason why Anet was against adding energy management traits.

Easy solution: merge with minor traits.

I like the idea, but I'm not optimistic about the idea of ANet implementing this without butchering things to compensate, so I would choose to stay as we are.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought Rev needed this, just something small to give it that little extra "oomf".

I think adding it via traits is an interesting idea, but auto-attack could also be a decent Avenue. The last skill of each chain (or the only skill on Hammer and Shortbow), should give a few pops of energy. Maybe 5.

These should be somewhat conditional, rewarding skilled gameplay, for example on sword you could offer 1 pip per Rift, for Hammer you could give 1 per target hit, staff could be the same or even per health node picked up. Just simple things like that. Hell, you could even just make it 5 energy per chain completed (or 2 energy for SB/Ham).

Adding it to traits is a nice idea, but I think it should be a something that benefits skilled players instead of being a passive buff. The whole idea of rev is that the "skilled" play is done by energy management. Unfortunately that isn't currently the case, but it could be.

This could also offer better opportunities for DPS rotations in PvE and lessen complaints about weapon skills requiring energy.

Whatever happens, OP is right. Rev has always needing some other small boost to Energy generation.

@otto.5684 said:Honestly, I think the whole energy issue can be easily fixed if the energy starts at 60 instead of 50.

Some skills do require energy reduction still, but overall everything will be okay without the need to re-create the wheel.

starts at 100%. its nrg so before any fight any fighter has 100% nrg

Just reduce energy costs and don't have cooldown and costs. Using a skill that costs 25 or 30 energy means that is all your doing. My revenant is an Alacrity Tank and to maintain that alacrity means I can really only auto outside of that. Gw1 energy system had a lot of energy generation abilities but the basic regen was slow ao it was balanced out. But rarely would you see a skill with more than 10 cost.

Start energy pool from 100, remove legend swap energy mechanic and make utilities cheaper or energy regen faster. The fact that you have to change legends to get energy is not ideal which is confounded by the fact that utilities are 100% static. You’re often forced into changing to a legend that may not be ideal for the situation you’re in just for a little NRG...bleeeh

Also, removing cost of weapon skills is a must. This would place Rev energy in line with thieves initiative. Thieves use initiative for weapon skills, not utilities. Why do Revs have to rely on energy for both?

Archived