Surge of the mists — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Surge of the mists

Nivik.2961Nivik.2961 Member ✭✭✭

I think we need to be very vocal about the SotM change. Specifically the wind up time. ANET, completely understand the skills power lvl needs balancing in regards to damage, but this change has just made the skill FEEL BAD TO PLAY. That can’t be your intent when you balance the game. Obviously no one is more invested in making the game fun than the developer, so please recognize that this attempt is not good enough. We want our staff five to feel like it did before the balance. Take the damage, please don’t take the feel of the skill.

Comments

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't even see the point to this skill anymore.
    It's not instant but has one second cast time, so it can be interrupted easily or just stepped out of line from - so it practically doesn't CC anyone who sees it coming.
    It's technically (but not practically) is a CC skill, so it does no damage.
    The range is only 600, so it can hardly be used as a gap closer.
    The half second of evade is pointless, if the enemy can just pummel you from afar, sides or behind during the one second of cast time.
    Revenant Staff practically only has four skills now.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

They should add a ground arrow-directin animation indicating what direction the Revenant is aiming towards, just like they do for NPC mobs, just to make sure a Revs' opponent has sufficient opportunity for counterplay /s

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2020

I think there are multiple ways to fix this :

Most popular suggestion is to simply give movement during windup.
    Alternatively speed up the charge itself, so after the windup, the SotM dash is actually faster and people will at least get hit by 2 or 3 ticks of the knockback.

What I really want them to do :

Surge of the Mist becomes Warding Rift's flip skill
    Cast Warding Rift to block for 3 seconds, after which, Surge of the Mist becomes available for another 3 seconds
    Naturally, windup should be removed since Warding Rift becomes Surge of the Mist's "tell"
    After which, if Surge of the Mist is not used, refund a little bit of cooldown back to Warding Rift.
    Give Staff a new 5 skill.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• @Yasai.3549 said:
    I think there are multiple ways to fix this :

Most popular suggestion is to simply give movement during windup.
    Alternatively speed up the charge itself, so after the windup, the SotM dash is actually faster and people will at least get hit by 2 or 3 ticks of the knockback.

What I really want them to do :

Surge of the Mist becomes Warding Rift's flip skill
    Cast Warding Rift to block for 3 seconds, after which, Surge of the Mist becomes available for another 3 seconds
    Naturally, windup should be removed since Warding Rift becomes Surge of the Mist's "tell"
    After which, if Surge of the Mist is not used, refund a little bit of cooldown back to Warding Rift.
    Give Staff a new 5 skill.

That would be cool especially with the staff spinning animations transitioning into other. Though I'd think people would complain that it's too strong defensively, as you would have a generous block + blind that then kicks off into an evasive forward dash that knocks people down.

But if that could be implemented fairly, it'll awesome to have a new staff 5. Maybe something like an AoE attack that creates a water field for more support combos.

• Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Draygorn.7012 said:

That would be cool especially with the staff spinning animations transitioning into other. Though I'd think people would complain that it's too strong defensively, as you would have a generous block + blind that then kicks off into an evasive forward dash that knocks people down.

But if that could be implemented fairly, it'll awesome to have a new staff 5. Maybe something like an AoE attack that creates a water field for more support combos.

There are some pretty powerful block/flip skills in the game already, plus this is two Energy costing skills, it's just that now they share a single larger cooldown.

For a new Staff 5, I would much rather have a Light Field instead.
    Rev has a huge problem with Conditions and a Light Field + quick Staff 4 would make a good combo for cleansing conditions.

If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2020

@Yasai.3549 said:

@Draygorn.7012 said:

There are some pretty powerful block/flip skills in the game already, plus this is two Energy costing skills, it's just that now they share a single larger cooldown.

For a new Staff 5, I would much rather have a Light Field instead.
    Rev has a huge problem with Conditions and a Light Field + quick Staff 4 would make a good combo for cleansing conditions.

Make that light field a symbol, just to throw one more on all those people hating Symbol Guardians.

• Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

What if instead of a wind up time, you have increased aftercast time?