Path of Fire or Heart of Thorns?

OsmoZ.1297

Let's assume you have to buy one first, complete it (Story) and then the other, which one would you go for first?

Second question, how much will I miss in terms of gear if I don't buy the living world expansions? I saw someone saying that I need it to farm some late game equipment.

U can get Ascended trinkets with HoT stats in the LW 3 episodes. Otherwise i think only achievements and Raids can get u them.

I would totally play PoF before. I think the maps are better designed in terms of pathing. Language currently fails me, so i may be hard to understand;

In HoT it's , glide up, glide down, glide down a little bit more, glide more down, whoops one step to far, teleport back to waypoint and headshot urself, because u waisted 20 Minutes of gliding.

In PoF its more like u can clearly see where u can go right now, where u need to go right now etc. It has ups and downs in the area ( caves and "sky" ), but it feels waaaay smoother for me to play.

I Would always go back to a PoF Map, setting it basically as my "Home-Map" , while i would never go back into a HoT map, after i finished what i needed there.

If you care about the story then get HoT first. If you just care about game-play then it might help to get PoF first. The masteries are significantly easier to level up in PoF and can make doing the HoT maps a lot easier as well when it comes time to get that expansion.

The Living World Season 3 maps provide a very easy way of getting ascended trinkets and are definitely worth getting.

In PoF there are some minor references around that could contain mild/minor spoilers for events in HoT. Mostly though PoF would be spoilers for if you were going to play LS3 chapters at some stage (which playing those would contain spoilers for HoT), so if you wanted the story experience to be completely spoiler free, then I'd do HoT first. Personally I'd always get the expansions/do the story in chronological order, so I'd say HoT first.

But if you aren't too bothered about possible spoilers, or you already know what happens in the story of both then it doesn't make too much difference, as the story is good in both (at least I thought so).

For ascended trinkets the LS3 maps are generally the easiest place to pick them up, and the currencies in some of the maps like bitterfrost frontier are easily & quickly farmed for them. Of course weather you need them depends on what you'll be doing, and you can always get rings from fractals, or some from laurels or guild commendations etc as alternatives.

Other than that weigh up what sort of things you'll enjoy doing until you could get the other expansion. If you prefer fairly open maps with lots of space, and enjoy champ trains like in Orr, and repeatable heart missions, then PoF will tick the boxes for you. If you prefer maps to be more densely packed and you enjoy maps to have big map wide metas & some bosses for replayability (like silverwastes), then HoT will probably suit you better.

Of course the mounts from PoF will speed up your travel around core maps if you still spend a lot of time in those, so there is also that. Although HoT offers gliding which can still make getting around core maps a bit quicker, and is very fun, but not as quick as a mount.

They still have that deal for both; HoT used to be 50 bucks lol now can get both for that price. However, LWS3 would be more money since you weren't around w/ it during chapter releases. But it leads directly into PoF and tbh, is a good starting point.

LWS2 you get sinister to make, don't need HoT and central Tyria masteries (tho, heh you need HoT for those masteries so... guess u do need HoT :). Story wise it leads up to HoT like LWS3 leads up to PoF and directly ties in; but LWS2 has little replay value except to get achievements for Tyria masteries. Story wise imo it's okay.

LWS3 is excellent story wise, if inconsistent but it has 6 new maps, all pretty well done with many meta events, and of course the ascended accessories grind you can choose from ANY non-PoF stat. But of course unlike LWS2 you need HoT to play LWS3. (tho * again)

Archived