If you merge with your pet, your pet will not be active

Anput.4620

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:There are at least 4 threads about this in the Bugs forum.

I could be wrong but I think op is asking for ranger to be changed so soulbeast does not merge with pet but gets the pet skills of whatever pet is active thus always having a pet.

This is exactly what I think the OP is asking for as well. And I'm not down for the idea.

@Ghos.1326 said:

I could be wrong but I think op is asking for ranger to be changed so soulbeast does not merge with pet but gets the pet skills of whatever pet is active thus always having a pet.

This is exactly what I think the OP is asking for as well. And I'm not down for the idea.

Me either as I like the pet less merge idea it has. I've been having a blast in pvp and wvw again on my soulbeast and am totally fine with the one pet trade off as I gues I never really swapped pets in combat often anyways due to cd's on em.Only thing I dislike post patch is how short boon duration is now on my boonbeast lol. I understand why they lowered boon duration just sucks giving up dps for boon duration defensive stats that result in very low boon durations anyway. Giving up dps is a given and ok just the durations are so low now.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Me either as I like the pet less merge idea it has. I've been having a blast in pvp and wvw again on my soulbeast and am totally fine with the one pet trade off as I gues I never really swapped pets in combat often anyways due to cd's on em.Only thing I dislike post patch is how short boon duration is now on my boonbeast lol. I understand why they lowered boon duration just sucks giving up dps for boon duration defensive stats that result in very low boon durations anyway. Giving up dps is a given and ok just the durations are so low now.

You shouldn't have both dps and high boon duration at the same time soo.

@bigo.9037 said:You shouldn't have both dps and high boon duration at the same time soo.

gear wise, isn't this impossible to avoid? Marauders versus diviners: pretty much the same damage wise, one gives vitality while the other gives concentration.

Basically, the only way an actual tradeoff can happen is if reaching 100% boon duration was reachable by combining concentration gears+runes and a specific boon oriented traitline that offers no damage bonuses (which would mean 20~30% less damage than picking an offensive traitline).

I would say that part of the problem is that maximum concentration gives twice as long boons, but going from 2 second stability to 4 may not actually feel that impactful gamewise? What if going for capped boon duration meant 3x boon times (if doing so forced 20~30% less damage)?

But then we have the bunker issue: condition builds generally don't benefit as much from damage modifiers, and mostly they don't even get more than one traitline that specializes in condition damage, meaning they could go full bunker with long boon durations.

concentration is in sort of a pickle: for pve it's all about maintaining full uptime of the key boons for groups (mostly might, protection, alacrity and quickness), whereas in PvP/WvW, it's supposed to be about calculated short duration usage. How does one reconcile that? Splits so that boons are vomited all over the group in PvE, but scarce in PvP/WvW?

@Skotlex.7580 said:

@bigo.9037 said:You shouldn't have both dps and high boon duration at the same time soo.

gear wise, isn't this impossible to avoid? Marauders versus diviners: pretty much the same damage wise, one gives vitality while the other gives concentration.

Basically, the only way an actual tradeoff can happen is if reaching 100% boon duration was reachable by combining concentration gears+runes and a specific boon oriented traitline that offers no damage bonuses (which would mean 20~30% less damage than picking an offensive traitline).

I would say that part of the problem is that maximum concentration gives twice as long boons, but going from 2 second stability to 4 may not actually feel that impactful gamewise? What if going for capped boon duration meant 3x boon times (if doing so forced 20~30% less damage)?

But then we have the bunker issue: condition builds generally don't benefit as much from damage modifiers, and mostly they don't even get more than one traitline that specializes in condition damage, meaning they could go full bunker with long boon durations.

concentration is in sort of a pickle: for pve it's all about maintaining full uptime of the key boons for groups (mostly might, protection, alacrity and quickness), whereas in PvP/WvW, it's supposed to be about calculated short duration usage. How does one reconcile that? Splits so that boons are vomited all over the group in PvE, but scarce in PvP/WvW?

Diviners gives significantly less dmg than marauders, as marauder has power and prec as a main stat with fero and vitality, whereas diviners has concentration as a main stat. So you'll have the same power as marauder, but significantly less precision which leads to overall way less than marauder.

Even if you have the same power and ferocity levels in a build, the difference between 50% crit chance and 100% crit chance is huge when using skills like rapid fire or axe #5 which are multiple hits.

In pvp/wvw especially, you want to have more reliable dmg instead of half crits half non crits.If Maul on your greatsword doesn't crit it's gonna deal such an insignificant amount of dmg you may as well have used an auto attack.

@bigo.9037 said:

But boonbeast has bad DPS.

@Anput.4620 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:There are at least 4 threads about this in the Bugs forum.

everything has "bad" dps, besides sic em soulbeasts, right now, which still hit high Mauls.

@Yasai.3549 said:Lol I remembered there was some other thread where someone was suggesting that Beastmode should let the Soulbeast have an extra attack to compensate for the loss of the pet.I thought that thread was a big hee hee but this one is even better lmao.

I know, right? It's like merging with your pet doesn't give you any benefits at all, such as extra stats, skills, or all those wonderful traits in Beastmastery... Oh, wait...

@Ghos.1326 said:

everything has "bad" dps, besides sic em soulbeasts, right now, which still hit high Mauls.

Boonbeast has always had bad DPS, also you said that it had high DPS.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:Lol I remembered there was some other thread where someone was suggesting that Beastmode should let the Soulbeast have an extra attack to compensate for the loss of the pet.I thought that thread was a big hee hee but this one is even better lmao.

I know, right? It's like merging with your pet doesn't give you any benefits at all, such as extra stats, skills, or all those wonderful traits in Beastmastery... Oh, wait...

But you also lose your pet, which is the tradeoff of merging, why does there need to be a second tradeoff?

@Anput.4620 said:

But you also lose your pet, which is the tradeoff of merging, why does there need to be a second tradeoff?

Because the point of the trade offs installed in elite specs is that the trade off is permanent, that your class has to give up something completely. In the sense of not having available completely. This has not been the case for the Soulbeast, they had everything available that the ranger also had, just having a time window in which their pet disappeared when they merged.

Meaning that they didn't give up something completely, just for a period of time.Look in comparison, for example, at the Holosmith.Holosmith gave up their F5 skill completely. There is no way for them to get their F5 skill back as long as they want to play as the Holosmith.

With your line of argumentation, Holosmith shouldn't have to give up their F5 skill and should get their holoforge as the F6 button instead, because the holoforge already provides a trade off by itself. As long as the holoforge is active, you can't use your weapon skills. Same principle like for the Soulbeast before, when you use the mechanic (beast mode and holoforge), then something else disappears. But it doesn't disappear completely, just for the period of time the mechanic is used.

What Holosmith has is the trade off they mean. That you give up something entirely, not just for a period of time. Soulbeast just got changed to get in line, since most other elite specs already have these mechanical changes in place.

@Anput.4620 said:

Boonbeast has not always had bad dps. this is false information.As well, merging with your pet is not a trade off. it's a feature of a mechanic. Because, you could just not merge with your pet and sacrifice nothing at all. Sure, you also won't gain anything, but as well, you sacrifice nothing.

@Ghos.1326 said:

Boonbeast has not always had bad dps. this is false information.As well, merging with your pet is not a trade off. it's a feature of a mechanic. Because, you could just not merge with your pet and sacrifice nothing at all. Sure, you also won't gain anything, but as well, you sacrifice nothing.

Boonbeast has always did terrible damage compared to more evenly distributed 1vX builds like warriors, compare boonbeast to core warrior damage lol, pre patch 3k mauls to 9k eviscerates. now the axe AA hits for 600 with some might. Same with merging, you gain and lose something already, so merging in itself is already a tradeoff.

@Anput.4620 said:

Boonbeast has always did terrible damage compared to more evenly distributed 1vX builds like warriors, compare boonbeast to core warrior damage lol, pre patch 3k mauls to 9k eviscerates. now the axe AA hits for 600 with some might. Same with merging, you gain and lose something already, so merging in itself is already a tradeoff.

Lol Boonbeast initially dealt ridiculous damage while having ridiculous sustain.They are the ones which can consistently hit 7k Axe 3 bursts and could delete people with a single Axe 5.

It's only after repeated nerf hammers did Boonbeast fall somewhat out of flavour, and most Boonbeasts went back to Sicc'em Roamer, except they brought some parts of Boonbeast back with them, mainly the usage of Dolyak Stance and Strength of the Pack, together with Diviner stat which didn't exist in the past, they made something of a hybrid between Sicce'm Roamer and Boonbeast.

Boonbeast became more of a troll attrition build which survived really well but doesn't have burst potential anymore.

@Anput.4620 said:

@"Yasai.3549" said:Lol I remembered there was some other thread where someone was suggesting that Beastmode should let the Soulbeast have an extra attack to compensate for the loss of the pet.I thought that thread was a big hee hee but this one is even better lmao.

You're definitely doing something wrong if you only hit 3k mauls pre-patch, hate to be the bringer of horrid news.As mentioned before, merging with the pet is NOT A TRADEOFF. Simply because it's a temporary thing. You don't permanently lose your pet when merging. Let me give you an example of a trade off:"you gain xxx power, but lose xxx defense when taking this trait line"This is the Berserker's example. When traited to Berserker, you lose your defense permanently. You can gain it back with a trait choice, but then you sacrifice traiting into something else that can potentially be more valuable, depending on your build. To gain X benefit, you must sacrifice Y benefit.Pet merging in Soulbeast is not a trade off, because you can, while in game, choose NOT to merge with your pet to keep them in play. You can't swap trait lines or traits while in play. Do you see the difference yet?And nobody but warrior apologists ever said warrior pre-patch wasn't stupidly ridiculous. because it was. 3-5k bull's charge, quick swap to GS, and hit a 12k arcing slice was an easy as pie win, because all of their other skills did high damage so not dodging their attacks was a fatal mistake. They could easily bait out your defensive skills and stun breaks with other skills while saving their heavIER hitting things for the guaranteed kill.

@Yasai.3549 said:

Lol Boonbeast initially dealt ridiculous damage while having ridiculous sustain.They are the ones which can consistently hit 7k Axe 3 bursts and could delete people with a single Axe 5.

It's only after repeated nerf hammers did Boonbeast fall somewhat out of flavour, and most Boonbeasts went back to Sicc'em Roamer, except they brought some parts of Boonbeast back with them, mainly the usage of Dolyak Stance and Strength of the Pack, together with Diviner stat which didn't exist in the past, they made something of a hybrid between Sicce'm Roamer and Boonbeast.

Boonbeast became more of a troll attrition build which survived really well but doesn't have burst potential anymore.

Is this the actual boonbeast or the meme one that is bad with beast mastery? I am talking about the meta bunker build. The only ability that did a lot of damage is the 5, but if you stand in that to take it then idek you should go back to the starting zone "how to dodge" tutorial.

@Ghos.1326 said:

You're definitely doing something wrong if you only hit 3k mauls pre-patch, hate to be the bringer of horrid news.As mentioned before, merging with the pet is NOT A TRADEOFF. Simply because it's a temporary thing. You don't permanently lose your pet when merging. Let me give you an example of a trade off:"you gain xxx power, but lose xxx defense when taking this trait line"This is the Berserker's example. When traited to Berserker, you lose your defense permanently. You can gain it back with a trait choice, but then you sacrifice traiting into something else that can potentially be more valuable, depending on your build. To gain X benefit, you must sacrifice Y benefit.Pet merging in Soulbeast is not a trade off, because you can, while in game, choose NOT to merge with your pet to keep them in play. You can't swap trait lines or traits while in play. Do you see the difference yet?And nobody but warrior apologists ever said warrior pre-patch wasn't stupidly ridiculous. because it was. 3-5k bull's charge, quick swap to GS, and hit a 12k arcing slice was an easy as pie win, because all of their other skills did high damage so not dodging their attacks was a fatal mistake. They could easily bait out your defensive skills and stun breaks with other skills while saving their heavIER hitting things for the guaranteed kill.

Standard boonbeast duelist bunker build with greatsword axe/wh instead of A/A S/WH pre patch.

It being a tradeoff only sometimes still makes it one, merging makes you lose something as long as you are merged, we are not talking about the versatility here. As long as you are merged you trade something to be able to stay merged. Having the option to merge may not have a downside but merging itself does.

Doesn't have to be warriors, can be Mirage or Holo too.

It being a tradeoff only sometimes still makes it one, merging makes you lose something as long as you are merged, we are not talking about the versatility here. As long as you are merged you trade something to be able to stay merged. Having the option to merge may not have a downside but merging itself does.

Let’s compare SB to Berserker for a second. The old Berserker previously had full, unmitigated access to their base burst skills, and then when enter into Berserk they got a set of new burst skills. When the left Berserk, they got right back to using their base burst skills. You could argue “oh, sure we get new Berserker bursts, but we lose the base bursts! That’s a trade off since we lose those”.

That is, in fact, not an actual trade off. Same as how when Soulbeasts merge, sure, you lose temporary access to your pet. But you can unmerge at a moments notice and the loss of your pet during that time almost never outweighs what you gain from being merged.

So what happened to Berserker? They removed the base bursts from the spec and you can only burst while in Berserk. That is now an actual trade off. You cannot do something you were freely able to do before in exchange for something new. Now with Soulbeast, you still gain access to merge abilities (comparing these to Berserker bursts), but now you cannot use more than one pet in combat (comparing that to Berserker using base burst skills).

Even if in literal terms, merging can be seen as a trade off, it does not align with literally every other elite spec. Anet has been pushing these changes for every other class over the past year or two, this isn’t just a hit at Soulbeast for no reason.

@AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

It being a tradeoff only sometimes still makes it one, merging makes you lose something as long as you are merged, we are not talking about the versatility here. As long as you are merged you trade something to be able to stay merged.
Having the option to merge
may not have a downside but
merging itself
does.

Let’s compare SB to Berserker for a second. The old Berserker previously had full, unmitigated access to their base burst skills, and then when enter into Berserk they got a set of new burst skills. When the left Berserk, they got right back to using their base burst skills. You could argue “oh, sure we get new Berserker bursts, but we lose the base bursts! That’s a trade off since we lose those”.

That is, in fact, not an actual trade off. Same as how when Soulbeasts merge, sure, you lose temporary access to your pet. But you can unmerge at a moments notice and the loss of your pet during that time almost never outweighs what you gain from being merged.

So what happened to Berserker? They removed the base bursts from the spec and you can only burst while in Berserk. That is now an actual trade off. You cannot do something you were freely able to do before in exchange for something new. Now with Soulbeast, you still gain access to merge abilities (comparing these to Berserker bursts), but now you cannot use more than one pet in combat (comparing that to Berserker using base burst skills).

Even if in literal terms, merging can be seen as a trade off, it does not align with literally every other elite spec. Anet has been pushing these changes for every other class over the past year or two, this isn’t just a hit at Soulbeast for no reason.

Or the comparison with another of his examples: Holosmith.

Holosmith has not his weapon skills available during holoforge, just like the Soulbeast doesn't have his pet available when merged. This is not the actual trade off. The trade off is that Holosmith loses access to his elite toolbelt skills (F5).If we apply Anput's logic to the Holosmith, then they shouldn't have to replace their F5 skill to get the holoforge and should get it as a new F6 button instead, since according to Anput using the holoforge already has the trade off baked in.

This is not the case. Holosmith has his trade off in the form of giving up one of his skills entirely. Soulbeast pre patch didn't do the same, they got their new feature without having to replace something else with it.