Role Players getting trolled :c — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Role Players getting trolled :c

Dearest A Net, please show your RP community a tiny bit of love. Report features that work in our favor would be amazing, or better yet, let us block people and not even see their character at all. We can't report people unless they say stuff in /say chat, which is almost never the case. Letting blocks make characters and their animations invisible in PvE areas would fix ALL of our problems with the few toxic members that consistently harass the RP community. Just blocking out the person 100% would make us so happy. Until then, there's a small group of scummy humans that get off to spamming skills in the middle of a bunch of people just being nerds. Would be nice to be able to enjoy my night off work doing what I love.

I'll never understand people that go out of their way to pester other people from doing what they wanna do if they're not harming anyone. There's a ton of content, just go do that. We're just people trying to have fun.

<13

Comments

• Captain Kuro.8937Captain Kuro.8937 Member ✭✭
    edited March 7, 2020

Great idea

And a survey every month that gives you 5% karma for your favorites parts of the game you play (3 areas) , but the people who has chosen the RP section has more chances to be thrown in the same Overworld to interact.
    If you are in a Rp guild as far i know , you increased the chances too

Edit: Or an UI list of options in the login screen , with some days cd

Be Right Back My Lord - Desolation

• I run an RP guild, though it's only about 30 members. Would be nice if A Net sent us some surveys. Would be even better if one of the Devs was an RP nerd. I know WoW has a few Devs that RP and they protect the community often.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jackeroo Sundown.7526 said:
    I'll never understand people that go out of their way to pester other people from doing what they wanna do if they're not harming anyone. There's a ton of content, just go do that. We're just people trying to have fun.

That usually happens when people are bored, just like in real life. I guess people get bored in this game enough to have time to troll RP'ers. I don't get it either, but that's what seems to be the issue a lot of the time.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

That usually happens when people are bored, just like in real life. I guess people get bored in this game enough to have time to troll RP'ers. I don't get it either, but that's what seems to be the issue a lot of the time.

Trolls don't need to be bored to troll. And I've been bored in games and have never done it.

Don't take it to be so black and white, I did say a lot of the time after all. There are always exceptions but it's simply true that boredom often does lead to negative behavior. Not for everybody and not all the time, but often enough.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• @Gehenna.3625 said:

Seems to be waiting for PvP queues to pop sometimes. It's just annoying as all hell and I wish I didn't have to deal with them.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Seems to be waiting for PvP queues to pop sometimes. It's just annoying as all hell and I wish I didn't have to deal with them.

I agree. As Vayne underlined not everybody is like that but there are enough people who either enjoy trolling just for the sake of it or who are just bored for whatever reason and then chat becomes their activity. It's typical that people pick on something they think is weird or doesn't make sense to them and I guess that's why RP'ers get a lot of it.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2020

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

I agree. As Vayne underlined not everybody is like that but there are enough people who either enjoy trolling just for the sake of it or who are just bored for whatever reason and then chat becomes their activity. It's typical that people pick on something they think is weird or doesn't make sense to them and I guess that's why RP'ers get a lot of it.

I think the thought process is backwards. It's not that people who are bored grief. It's people who are the types of people who grief are people who are bored easily. I mean I'm guessing most griefers are teenagers and from my experience, teenagers get bored faster than I do. Certainly I was more likely to grief as a teenager than I would be now. Same with my kids. They were basically kittens as teenagers, but they grew out of it. They were also always saying they were bored back then.

Does the boredom cause the will to grief or is the same factors that cause someone to grief cause them to be bored. It's an interesting question. Not sure it's particularly helpful to the OP though.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

I think the thought process is backwards. It's not that people who are bored grief. It's people who are the types of people who grief are people who are bored easily. I mean I'm guessing most griefers are teenagers and from my experience, teenagers get bored faster than I do. Certainly I was more likely to grief as a teenager than I would be now. Same with my kids. They were basically kittens as teenagers, but they grew out of it. They were also always saying they were bored back then.

Try not to argue against arguments I didn't make. You seem to read absolutes in my comments that aren't there and then try to counter them, so essentially you're arguing with yourself of the topic. It's kinda funny really.

I just empathize with the OP because I get his frustration and people being bored does contribute to the amount of occurences of this and RP'ers seem to be prime targets as it is. Beyond that it's all you.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Role playing chat... problem fixed.

5k gems :D

• @Aeolus.3615 said:

Still doesn't hide particle effects spammed in groups. People like to spam bright skills or constantly buff a group to get everyone to pull their weapons out. After an hour of that, it gets really old.

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2020

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Still doesn't hide particle effects spammed in groups. People like to spam bright skills or constantly buff a group to get everyone to pull their weapons out. After an hour of that, it gets really old.

Yes, part of the game is about that... blind users...
    I use sunglasses when playing wvw as well :D

Joking asside game is pretty pale/bad also towards RP due it’s very limited theme park, Anet removed several funn elements that would improve RP, besides spam stuff...they to that cause game does nothing in that genra.
    Look at arc games mmo neverwinter for example...

Besides theybadded chairs on gems where they could make models to sit on any chair ingame...

It’s pretty sad for both sides....actually.

• avey.4201avey.4201 Member ✭✭✭

@Aeolus.3615 said:

I wish people would come buff me for an hour in fractals, I like them big deeps.
    Banners/might/furry/quackness/and on occasion some alacrity we could have much loot.

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020

@trixantea.1230 said:
    I know that some of you will hate me for this but I think that Anet should focus on adding new content and fixing the many bugs and and issues the game has instead of wasting its time and recources on the small minority of RPers.

Having a block feature that works doesn't just benefit the RP community, though. It's a quality of life thing that anyone can take advantage of if they're being harassed or bothered by any member of the community. Aside from chairs KINDA working sometimes in like... a couple locations, A Net hasn't really done anything for the RP community at all. Been an active member for 7 years now and the chair patch is the closest thing I've seen to a nod at the RP community.

Blocking people's messages already exists in the game but making them invisible is a bit too much to ask for in an mmorpg like GW2.

This wouldn't allow player who play the game normally to understand what's going on with invisible visuals, buffs, lost hp when doing events and killing world bosses. Just imagine that you are playing the game and you start seeing mobs die without knowing what really happened.

• joneirikb.7506joneirikb.7506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Just to mention, Aion had an option to not draw other players models. For the most part it worked pretty well in PVE at least, never got to try the PVP and the Invasions so no comment on that. There was a couple of times I jumped out of my chair as I tried to click a node, and randomly clicked another player mining that node, and they appear in front of me like a ghost. (Yes it also allowed you to disable nametags separately, so I had to try both!)

But in general I think it's something that would go against ANet's philosophy "that you should always be happy to see other players" that htye've built so much of the game around, that I don't think they will do something as drastic as remove player models.

Unfortunately the problem is human, and I don't think it's something that can fixed to any proper extent other than removing humans from the situation (single player game or invite only multiplayer). Humans will always be the most creative when doing something bad.

• Another ncsoft game had player made channels where people could set up rp groups. By the end those people never left their housing plots so it didnt matter but it was a very nice feature. I have never rped myself but I like watching from a distance. Ive seen far more rpers out in the wild in this game than any other by far. Lots of neat settings that are out of the way.

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭

@Dante.1763 said:
    Im a RPer myself and the block function that exists in game is fine enough for me, if you are doing RP so seriously that the model of the player is ruining the scene it may be best to keep it to private instances. In an MMO one cannot and shouldnt expect to be able to avoid players, one has to adapt, and that includes being able to ignore characters intruding on ones session.

I feel like hiding from the entire community is a pretty awful way to solve the problem. You must haven't had someone stand on you spamming bright particle effects that shake your screen for hours, which I'm happy you haven't had that happen. It happens in DR weekly, at least.

Wouldn't making everyone else invisible also be "hiding from the entire community"?

Hate Is Fuel.

• Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2020

@Ben K.6238 said:
    I do like the idea of completely hiding disruptive players and their actions when they're blocked in non-competitive game modes. The only concern I have is how odd that's going to look if they happen to attack enemy mobs in your presence, but I can't think of any way that would outweigh the benefits.

Just do the same thing WvW does, replace them with a triangle, so you know someone's there, but not who.

I find it amusing that people are saying ArenaNet would never hide player models, because its dehumanising or w/e, when the entire way WvW is set up (including the ability to hide names, use generic models, team colors, etc.), does just that.

You can turn your enemies into nothing but faceless blobs who you kill over and over like a mob for WXP, but for some reason, in WvW, its keeping the temperature down, while in PvE its increasing the temperature (?).

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 15k hours, ~27k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Tempest & Alisha Kei/Druid(PvE), Terakura/Spellbreaker & Kitty Koume/Reaper(WvW)
    The fun of being a link is tagging up and hearing "who are you?"

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dante.1763 said:
    Im a RPer myself and the block function that exists in game is fine enough for me, if you are doing RP so seriously that the model of the player is ruining the scene it may be best to keep it to private instances. In an MMO one cannot and shouldnt expect to be able to avoid players, one has to adapt, and that includes being able to ignore characters intruding on ones session.

I feel like hiding from the entire community is a pretty awful way to solve the problem. You must haven't had someone stand on you spamming bright particle effects that shake your screen for hours, which I'm happy you haven't had that happen. It happens in DR weekly, at least.

I have, but i also have alot of the extra effects turned off so i dont get motion sick including screen shake. Hiding other players in the game is also hiding from the community. I also dont and refuse to RP in DR period due to A.) playing a female, and B.) playing a charr, but thats another issue and another topic.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• Leo.3428Leo.3428 Member ✭✭✭

I know close to nothing about role playing but my interest is piqued now. How about enabling PvP in role playing sessions? The odd troll would be quickly disposed of. And players could role play fights. I'm aware it's difficult to define "role playing session" in the game logic and this is a double edge blade - role players could become trolls.

• Obfuscate.6430Obfuscate.6430 Member ✭✭✭

I feel that Arenanet would benefit from giving roleplayers a little more attention. It might benefit the longevity of the game. Roleplayers often play the game a lot more consistently in order to get titles and skins that support their vision of their character. When other people are bored with the story and have earned all the living world related achievements, roleplayers are inventing their own stories and continuing to play the game.

They opened up un-instanced areas for roleplayers. They added sittable chairs and we are all thankful! But with the introduction increased emote and say chat range and of Megaservers they greatly reduced the amount of freedom and privacy roleplayers used to enjoy. Tarnished Coast used to be the unofficial roleplay server for NA - but when Megaservers came, there was no place to roleplay without being griefed.

Guild Halls don't solve the problem because it is a set location. While you could argue most roleplay occurs at a bar or tavern - some groups brave the open world or desperately want to but are afraid. People WANT to explore and use the beautiful locations around Tyria for their own world building and stories but unless they find truly remote locations that's not going to happen. Besides, it makes it more difficult for earnest walk-up rpers to join in.

A roleplay only chat channel won't solve griefing. A non roleplayer would just join in. Infact most solutions still allow for griefing.

So what is the solution? I might have one, but it's not perfect.

Make popular roleplay spots instanced -similar to the guild initiative headquarters but combined with PVP Arena maker mechanics. People who enter the area experience a drop down menu that includes options to continue your personal or living story session if that happens in that area, but also shows a list of active instances you can join for rp - same as the Spvp arena maker thing. Roleplayers can also make private instances which they can invite their friends/guildies to.

Whoever opens the instance has the option to boot someone out, close the instance or pass the ability to some one else in their party. That would make griefing less effective.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Leo.3428 said:
    I know close to nothing about role playing but my interest is piqued now. How about enabling PvP in role playing sessions? The odd troll would be quickly disposed of. And players could role play fights. I'm aware it's difficult to define "role playing session" in the game logic and this is a double edge blade - role players could become trolls.

This sounds close to implementing PvP in Open World, something many of us are vehemently against. Granted, you're advocating for its use in a small, selected scenario, but once you start down this path ...

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Crackmonster.2790Crackmonster.2790 Member ✭✭✭

And here i thought you were suggestion the new meta. Ow well.

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Leo.3428 said:

This sounds close to implementing PvP in Open World, something many of us are vehemently against. Granted, you're advocating for its use in a small, selected scenario, but once you start down this path ...

....forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...

Hate Is Fuel.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @The Greyhawk.9107 I was hoping someone would catch on.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

Alternative solution: Disable all skills in towns unless needed for a specific event during a festival...that eliminates the skill spamming the OP mentioned, chat you can just ignore, or report, the option is yours.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

As a role player (well not as much these days, but I did do a lot of it in previous years) who has been trolled quite a bit during our public sessions, I really get what OP is asking for. It would have been nice to have a report feature that encompassed what these role play greifers were doing.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Cuks.8241Cuks.8241 Member ✭✭✭

Just want to thumbs up all the RPers because they are making this game more interesting. It is after all a Role Playing Game. You seem to be quite numerous compared to other games I played and it is really fun to come across a group with imagination and one that communicates in /say since it is fun to watch.
    I don't think complete blockage of other players is the solution though. It is after all a game where different people meet and there will be jerks. Dealing with jerks is part of our world will it be fantasy or real. A bit of help from the devs and game masters wouldn't hurt though.

• @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    As a role player (well not as much these days, but I did do a lot of it in previous years) who has been trolled quite a bit during our public sessions, I really get what OP is asking for. It would have been nice to have a report feature that encompassed what these role play greifers were doing.

I"m not inclined to think that some of the actions the OP and other are describing are worth or justify being reported for, and as would follow, possibly banned for.

Hate Is Fuel.

• Eramonster.2718Eramonster.2718 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dearest A Net, please show your RP community a tiny bit of love. Report features that work in our favor would be amazing, or better yet, let us block people and not even see their character at all. We can't report people unless they say stuff in /say chat, which is almost never the case. Letting blocks make characters and their animations invisible in PvE areas would fix ALL of our problems with the few toxic members that consistently harass the RP community. Just blocking out the person 100% would make us so happy. Until then, there's a small group of scummy humans that get off to spamming skills in the middle of a bunch of people just being nerds. Would be nice to be able to enjoy my night off work doing what I love.

What happened exactly? Or detailed example.

• Blockhead Magee.3092Blockhead Magee.3092 Member ✭✭✭✭

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:
    I"m not inclined to think that some of the actions the OP and other are describing are worth or justify being reported for, and as would follow, possibly banned for.

I also hope people aren't confusing reporting with banning. I have no idea what the numbers are of reports to ANET action taken but I'd wager its only a few percent.

• ParadoX.3124ParadoX.3124 Member ✭✭✭

Well you can go into guild hall, no one will bother you

• Valdenroth.6530Valdenroth.6530 Member ✭✭
    edited March 12, 2020

I do it because it's fun to ruin ya'lls cringefest.

Rpers are the most cringy people you'll ever meet in mmos and they have a habit of doing that cringy garbage in public areas where you're tying to get stuff done. Very annoying to be, for example, escorting an npc to a destination and coming upon a charr and sylvari having an intimate conversation about tossing his salad like it's never been tossed before.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2020

GW2 never occured to me as a game for role players - though it has a pretty nice world, races and lore. Not your usual dwarves, elves ... and not the WoW stuff but it's own unique history and lore which I like.

Then again with all the achievements and stuff it is focused on players that want to complete things and want action or single player living story, etc.

Role playing in other MMORPG afaik is possible on dedicated role playing servers. Since we here only use servers for WvW this wouldn't be an option. Only option I can see is to use a "RP" tag on the char that blocks whispers in chat and allows you to join a separate instance of the map. (Make separated RP instances. and enforce different rules there. Starting with the character names that need to be RP-like.)