[Video] [WvW Smallscale] WET Tempest [Srge]

Traity.8310

@FrownyClown.8402 said:I wanna like conjures but I cant bring myself to slot a 60s weapon that's situational

I see where you're coming from (and in the end it's a matter of preference and playstyle too) but on the other the defensive alternatives aren't much better. the time you spend in earth shield takes away from the CD and all the skills are pretty good. the block in it has a fairly low CD, you get another leap and earth aura > more healing, you have an invuln and a pull that can help with CC (so has some offensive options as well) AND gives you a lot of barrier while still able to use your overloads. in theory you could even pick up the 2nd one but that's hard to do in practice and you also don't just wanna camp it.

I ran lightning flash before and while it has a lower CD I may end up getting out of the situation but immediately have 2 warriors on my ass again charging me and spamming me with more CC than I can dodge/evade/stab and in the end it feels wasted. Plus it gets me away from the group which isn't always a good thing.

There's some fun combos you can do with the earth shield invuln. Someone can give you stab so you can get out and use skills afterwards, you can swap to water for safe healing etc.

Haven't tried armor of earth yet (though I wouldn't replace earth shield with it) but the CD is very long too and you may just get it corrupted/stripped.

I actually wanted to make a thread about this. I think conjures have received a decent buff with this patch!

Earth shield works great with lightning Rod(LR). Two of its abilities stun, which causes weakness and damage. Then you have a block and invuln. If you time the skills right, you can damage, block and recieve barrier all in quick rotation

Magnetic aura is one of the strongest auras, so that's the cherry on top. It's been working pretty well for me in conquest.

The only thing I ask for, which I've said the longest, is conjures need a short activation time. 3/4 sec isn't bad, but just enough to feel clunky. You really need to time it right.

@Stallic.2397 said:I actually wanted to make a thread about this. I think conjures have received a decent buff with this patch!

Earth shield works great with lightning Rod(LR). Two of its abilities stun, which causes weakness and burst damage. Then you have a block and invuln. If you time the skills right, you can damage, block and recieve barrier all in quick rotation

Magnetic aura is one of the strongest auras, so that's the cherry on top. It's been working pretty well for me in conquest.

The only thing I ask for, which I've said the longest, is conjures need a short activation time. 3/4 sec isn't bad, but just enough to feel clunky. You really need to time it right.

Glad to see someone else thinks so too :D

Definitely agree on the activation cast time! It's a bit clunky and easy to get interrupted especially when you're fighting a lot of people at once and my particular build doesn't have a lot of access to stab (I've started cancelling earth overload for that bit of stab) and the CC spam somehow feels even worse this patch. It's often enough that I just get ping ponged back and forth because I missed a dodge/block/couldn't/didn't see in all the animations and people without being able to do anything which gets quite frustrating.

Yeah! I only run it when using armor of earth (second video), otherwise I usually have the condi clear one though the other one doesn't sound terrible either but I haven't tried it.

Can't comment on pvp since I haven't done any since season 1 (and I had just started playing then :P ) but I've never been impressed with the stab on overload in WvW/our group. It's so little and 1 stab isn't enough to help me get off that water overload when there's 3-4 people chasing me with stuns :/ or worst case get it corrupted.

Also forgot to change it in the build but I swapped my Energy Sigil to Renewal because I don't dodge enough to make good use of it. And out of all the other options it seemed the most helpful for me and synergizes with my runes too.

The one thing this build does struggle with a lot is condi burst (E.g. transfer heralds and burn guards). It doesn't have a lot of active clear. Only really water overload. And I can get a little resistance from our Rev. Usually the first burst you can heal through but if you get hit by another right after it's looking pretty bad, depending on what CDs you have available :P also bad when you don't expect it coming at all/herald transfer doesn't really have an animation and is unavoidable so... that's bad times. If we had another person in our team it'd probably be a support Firebrand build around giving stab + we get a nice resistance field and I would swap to a more hybrid condi+aura support build, probably.

Got a bit off track here :p

@Traity.8310 said:Yeah! I only run it when using armor of earth (second video), otherwise I usually have the condi clear one though the other one doesn't sound terrible either but I haven't tried it.

Can't comment on pvp since I haven't done any since season 1 (and I had just started playing then :P ) but I've never been impressed with the stab on overload in WvW/our group. It's so little and 1 stab isn't enough to help me get off that water overload when there's 3-4 people chasing me with stuns :/ or worst case get it corrupted.

Also forgot to change it in the build but I swapped my Energy Sigil to Renewal because I don't dodge enough to make good use of it. And out of all the other options it seemed the most helpful for me and synergizes with my runes too.

The one thing this build does struggle with a lot is condi burst (E.g. transfer heralds and burn guards). It doesn't have a lot of active clear. Only really water overload. And I can get a little resistance from our Rev. Usually the first burst you can heal through but if you get hit by another right after it's looking pretty bad, depending on what CDs you have available :P also bad when you don't expect it coming at all/herald transfer doesn't really have an animation and is unavoidable so... that's bad times. If we had another person in our team it'd probably be a support Firebrand build around giving stab + we get a nice resistance field and I would swap to a more hybrid condi+aura support build, probably.

Got a bit off track here :p

I'm finding fire more useful than earth these days. Prob help you with condis in general

@FrownyClown.8402 said:I'm finding fire more useful than earth these days. Prob help you with condis in general

Ehh it doesn't sound amazing. 3 clears on 40 sec CD that probably get wasted on cover condis, and the other trait is okay but and I'd have to give up diamond skin, protection on auras and lower earth CDs for a clear that might not even help because usually it's not just the the 25 torment but a bunch of other cover conditions on top with torment last in line for clearing. I've tried cleansing water before and Trooper runes but I've never been impressed with neither when it comes to condi burst. I just have to hope my cleansing sigil can take care of it and heal the rest. If I was a secondary support I'd consider taking fire probably.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:I can't bring myself to use earth shield cuz it won't save you from spikes whereas mist form can. its great for tanking damage you expect to come, but against a good cc burst, nah.

I've tried with mistform too but I feel like the situations that are so bad that I need mistform we're usually gonna die either way, might delay the death a little but usually the CC just continues and I'm still in deep shit while achieving nothing (it's usually too many people at that point) ? that's why I started running amor of earth on top of earth shield. It's probably a lot better in smaller & even numbered fights (mistform I mean)

@Traity.8310 said:

@FrownyClown.8402 said:I'm finding fire more useful than earth these days. Prob help you with condis in general

Ehh it doesn't sound amazing. 3 clears on 40 sec CD that probably get wasted on cover condis, and the other trait is okay but and I'd have to give up diamond skin, protection on auras and lower earth CDs for a clear that might not even help because usually it's not just the the 25 torment but a bunch of other cover conditions on top with torment last in line for clearing. I've tried cleansing water before and Trooper runes but I've never been impressed with neither when it comes to condi burst. I just have to hope my cleansing sigil can take care of it and heal the rest. If I was a secondary support I'd consider taking fire probably.

Yeah trading protection for condi clear. Blinding ashes is a good trait on support ele too tbh.

Any suggestions for a newbie? Ele is my least played class, and while I've poked around in OW as a FA Tempest, I think Weaver is just out of my league, and Staff Ele in WvW seems like looking for frustration when you're more likely to die from ret or get caught out position because skill lag then see any big numbers.

I was looking at the Meta build, but that's more focused on condi clear with Trooper Runes. What is your build better for?

I really like playing Medi Scrapper, but I hate having to kit switch (esp with skill lag) to get any DPS or tagging done. Looks like Tempest is at least able to send out some damage while supporting.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Any suggestions for a newbie? Ele is my least played class, and while I've poked around in OW as a FA Tempest, I think Weaver is just out of my league, and Staff Ele in WvW seems like looking for frustration when you're more likely to die from ret or get caught out position because skill lag then see any big numbers.

I was looking at the Meta build, but that's more focused on condi clear with Trooper Runes. What is your build better for?

I really like playing Medi Scrapper, but I hate having to kit switch (esp with skill lag) to get any DPS or tagging done. Looks like Tempest is at least able to send out some damage while supporting.

Tempest can aura share and poop at cc like nobodies business. It's a natural support with flexible builds. I personally prefer staff even in small groups for the area denial.

His current build is fine and probably what I'd go for as well. Maybe change out earth with fire if your struggling with condis

@FrownyClown.8402 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Any suggestions for a newbie? Ele is my least played class, and while I've poked around in OW as a FA Tempest, I think Weaver is just out of my league, and Staff Ele in WvW seems like looking for frustration when you're more likely to die from ret or get caught out position because skill lag then see any big numbers.

Tempest can aura share and poop at cc like nobodies business. It's a natural support with flexible builds. I personally prefer staff even in small groups for the area denial.

His current build is fine and probably what I'd go for as well. Maybe change out earth with fire if your struggling with condis

Ok, so where I am struggling is just understanding the choices as far as weapons go.

Why dagger? Why focus (on the meta) or why warhorn? Which specific abilities for those weapons interact with which traits to achieve what results? As I said, I'm a completely new at Ele, and with 28 different abilities across 3 weapons + traits and utility choices, it's a bit overwhelming and it helps my grasp of the mechanics when I know why the choices are made.

For instance I can already see the leap from Dagger 3 under both Fire and Earth as being helpful with keeping on tag, so dagger has that advantage over scepter or staff. But what else?

I hope that makes sense :sunglasses:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Ok, so where I am struggling is just understanding the choices as far as weapons go.

Why dagger? Why focus (on the meta) or why warhorn? Which specific abilities for those weapons interact with which traits to achieve what results? As I said, I'm a completely new at Ele, and with 28 different abilities across 3 weapons + traits and utility choices, it's a bit overwhelming and it helps my grasp of the mechanics when I know why the choices are made.

For instance I can already see the leap from Dagger 3 under both Fire and Earth as being helpful with keeping on tag, so dagger has that advantage over scepter or staff. But what else?

Dagger because scepter sucks. Focus for personal defense/single target cc. Warhorn for boons and aoe melee pressure. Staff for strong aoe ranged CC and heals. For learning, staff is definitely the best choice because you can camp water for the most part and only use air 5 and earth 4 when CC is needed. On ele there's no traits that affect weapons, they only affect attunements and their skills.

Reading skills and seeing their damage/heal/boon value or mobility/cc/other utility factor should give you plenty of information of when and why certain skill is used. Same goes with traits and utility skills. Practice makes it perfect, no one mastered ele from just picking a random build and spamming buttons or from reading the tooltips once. Take your time and go through them over and over again.

@steki.1478 said:

Dagger because scepter sucks. Focus for personal defense/single target cc. Warhorn for boons and aoe melee pressure. Staff for strong aoe ranged CC and heals. For learning, staff is definitely the best choice because you can camp water for the most part and only use air 5 and earth 4 when CC is needed. On ele there's no traits that affect weapons, they only affect attunements and their skills.

Reading skills and seeing their damage/heal/boon value or mobility/cc/other utility factor should give you plenty of information of when and why certain skill is used. Same goes with traits and utility skills. Practice makes it perfect, no one mastered ele from just picking a random build and spamming buttons or from reading the tooltips once. Take your time and go through them over and over again.

Gotcha. Have been giving it a try, and so far it's quite fun and interactive, much more than my Medi Scrapper.

2 questions though:

1) Tempestuous Aria extends my shouts to 10 targets over the usual 5. I run Eye of the Storm, Flash Freeze, and Aftershock, the latter two of which also give out auras to allies. So that means I'm hitting 9 other players with auras when I activate those shouts, which would trigger Smothering Auras and therefore cleanse 1 condition of all 10, right? I'm asking because I was considering taking Harmonious Conduit for situations where stability is an issue, as losing the auras from an overload seems bad as well, but I want to make sure I understand the downside.

2) Also wondering why does metabattle then say that the 6th Trooper rune effect only hits 5 targets? If Aria extends my shouts to 10 targets, then why wouldn't all 10 also get a cleanse? Because 'reasons'?

Thanks!

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Gotcha. Have been giving it a try, and so far it's quite fun and interactive, much more than my Medi Scrapper.

2 questions though:

1) Tempestuous Aria extends my shouts to 10 targets over the usual 5. I run Eye of the Storm, Flash Freeze, and Aftershock, the latter two of which also give out auras to allies. So that means I'm hitting 9 other players with auras when I activate those shouts, which would trigger Smothering Auras and therefore cleanse 1 condition of all 10, right? I'm asking because I was considering taking Harmonious Conduit for situations where stability is an issue, as losing the auras from an overload seems bad as well, but I want to make sure I understand the downside.

2) Also wondering why does metabattle then say that the 6th Trooper rune effect only hits 5 targets? If Aria extends my shouts to 10 targets, then why wouldn't all 10 also get a cleanse? Because 'reasons'?

Thanks!

Losing regen for allies is significant to your healing

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

2 questions though:

Thanks!

Tempestuous Aria and Elemental Bastion are 2 traits that you absolutely never change on support tempest when playing with more than 10 people period. Absolutely never, especially if you're running with fire spec. Regen and vigor are easily provided by other traits or other classes.

I'm not sure about runes, thought that they didnt have target cap, but maybe they do.

@"steki.1478" said:I'm not sure about runes, thought that they didnt have target cap, but maybe they do.

Well, this on the wiki:

The sixth bonus activates on any shout and applies to nearby allies, regardless of who is affected by the shout, e.g. "On My Mark!" triggers the condition removal for party members even though it targets a foe.

So if I try to read that in 'lawyer', it suggests the rune triggers off the activation of a shout, but doesn't necessarily apply its effect to those hit by that shout, which means it wouldn't cleanse 10 people since the activation requirement is only that you use a shout - not hit someone else with it - so it wouldn't be buffed by Aria.