Newbie to raids and fractals. Which class?

I'd like to get good with one profession for both types of content.

Something with a simple rotation and/or role that is beginner friendly, forgiving and will allow me to learn boss mechanics.

Also, what is always in demand and can work in both game modes with the same gear/similar builds.

Thanks!

According to the thread about Teapot quitting the game it wonders me (no offense) that you are asking that special question here as it could have been answered in his stream months or even years ago.

Power DH is fine and not hard to learn.Double Bow Soulbeast for condi as far as I'm not wrong.Druid as heal support also is very easy to begin with and still regularly taken by pugs in fractals in raids.Healbrand for usual T4 groups, maybe not suitable for most pug raids due to still following chrono + druid meta.

Sure, there are some other builds, maybe some of them are easier I don't know but the above listed were the ones I invested time and dedication in.

Well imo DH is great damage but it can be very squishy. If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge. The rotations for both are very simple, especially if you play Shortbow Soulbeast. They both have good damage, good cc and are more survivable than DH if you are a novice. Scourge in particular has group wide condi cleanse, a large Healthpool and is a popular choice in both raids and fractals. Both core classes also have the benefit of being able to do a wide variety of roles once you get the gear. Ranger can do power or condi dps and of course is the mainstream healer of the game with druid. Necromancer is now a popular choice in power dps with reaper, condi with scourge and now has a strong role in support with scourge heals which allows a lot of carry within inexperienced groups.

If I was starting from scratch I would pick one of these two for sure.

@lightinthedark.2596 said:Well imo DH is great damage but it can be very squishy. If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge. The rotations for both are very simple, especially if you play Shortbow Soulbeast. They both have good damage, good cc and are more survivable than DH if you are a novice. Scourge in particular has group wide condi cleanse, a large Healthpool and is a popular choice in both raids and fractals. Both core classes also have the benefit of being able to do a wide variety of roles once you get the gear. Ranger can do power or condi dps and of course is the mainstream healer of the game with druid. Necromancer is now a popular choice in power dps with reaper, condi with scourge and now has a strong role in support with scourge heals which allows a lot of carry within inexperienced groups.

Scourge is not a popular build in high level fractals at all. Same for condi soulbeat. You probably wont be able to join cm groups on those.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@"lightinthedark.2596" said:Well imo DH is great damage but it can be very squishy. If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge. The rotations for both are very simple, especially if you play Shortbow Soulbeast. They both have good damage, good cc and are more survivable than DH if you are a novice. Scourge in particular has group wide condi cleanse, a large Healthpool and is a popular choice in both raids and fractals. Both core classes also have the benefit of being able to do a wide variety of roles once you get the gear. Ranger can do power or condi dps and of course is the mainstream healer of the game with druid. Necromancer is now a popular choice in power dps with reaper, condi with scourge and now has a strong role in support with scourge heals which allows a lot of carry within inexperienced groups.

Scourge is not a popular build in high level fractals at all. Same for condi soulbeat. You probably wont be able to join cm groups on those.

I do them all the time with both classes and I happily accept them into my groups from pugs. "YOU" may not like them but your personal preferences do not speak for the entire player base. Also the OP, didn't even mention cm's and both classes are a mainstay in raids. Next.

@lightinthedark.2596 said:

@lightinthedark.2596 said:Well imo DH is great damage but it can be very squishy. If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge. The rotations for both are very simple, especially if you play Shortbow Soulbeast. They both have good damage, good cc and are more survivable than DH if you are a novice. Scourge in particular has group wide condi cleanse, a large Healthpool and is a popular choice in both raids and fractals. Both core classes also have the benefit of being able to do a wide variety of roles once you get the gear. Ranger can do power or condi dps and of course is the mainstream healer of the game with druid. Necromancer is now a popular choice in power dps with reaper, condi with scourge and now has a strong role in support with scourge heals which allows a lot of carry within inexperienced groups.

I do them all the time with both classes and I happily accept them into my groups from pugs. "YOU" may not like them but your personal preferences do not speak for the entire player base. Also the OP, didn't even mention cm's and both classes are a mainstay in raids. Next.

Are you playing on NA by chance? Condi builds have no place in fractals.

OP mentioned he wants a build for both, fractals and raids. Condi builds are not popular in fractals due to the short ttk on enemies and bosses. Bosses in fractals often have phases during which they become immune (even in regular T4 fractals) which cuts damage phases on them short and condi builds are a lot slower than power (ever since they changed that condis do not tick during immunity phases 2 years back).

So no, this is not an opinion thing but rather mathematical fact based on how damage is calculated and how encounters are designed. Even for raids, condition builds currently see play on 5-6 bosses only.

Now you can suggest all kinds of builds, but you should be honest enough to OP, who is inexperienced, what the drawbacks are. Condi builds most definately will see scrutiny in high level fractals and will get kicked from most CM groups.

EDIT:case in point, looking at metabattle for dungeons/fractals as well as discretize, there is not 1 condition build among the recommended and even among the good builds there is maybe 2 out of over 20-30 power builds. I'd say that is a pretty clear signal what people prefer for this content:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Fractalhttps://discretize.eu/builds

diviner's rev is also really easy and suitable for fracs of all types

and you might be able to play it in some raids where dh isnt that great

and rev is REALLY tanky which is awesome if you're learning things

so much protection, health, plus (if you're a diviner's rev) the fact you're usually paired with a heal firebrand/in their sub makes things very forgiving

Fractals favor Power. Raids favor Power, some favor condi BUT on those you would use Mirage or renegade anyways. Ok you wanna have scourge for desmina but thats it.

@bbop.9706 said:I'd like to get good with one profession for both types of content.

Something with a simple rotation and/or role that is beginner friendly, forgiving and will allow me to learn boss mechanics.

Also, what is always in demand and can work in both game modes with the same gear/similar builds.

Thanks!

About classes, get Power dragonhunter and condition Mirage, now you are welcome in every fight as dps, later you might wanna Gear support classes.

@Kahlan.7249 said:diviner's rev is also really easy and suitable for fracs of all types

so much protection, health, plus (if you're a diviner's rev) the fact you're usually paired with a heal firebrand/in their sub makes things very forgiving

While you are right about the viability, getting a diviner set without using ascended armor boxes is quite painful and i'm not sure if desired by new players.Raid pugs are also really slow to adapt to the diviner ren so groups demanding rens happen already but are quite rare compared to the double chrono comps.It's awesome in fractals though and replaced the chrono setup even in most pugs.I would go with guardian as first choice like other here have already mentioned. Power dh is good to optimal on every power fight and can be played as condi or support aswell. qFb even uses the same gear as dh in fractals.Ren with it's diviner/condi builds is a really solid 2nd choice though if you get bored of guardian. Twin largos is the only fight where mirage is leagues above all the other options, condi ren is comparable on all the other condi fights to mirage so it just comes down to preference.

@Nephalem.8921 said:

@Kahlan.7249 said:diviner's rev is also really easy and suitable for fracs of all types

While you are right with the viability, getting a diviner set without using ascended armor boxes is quite painful and i'm not sure if desired by new players.Raid pugs are also really slow to adapt to the diviner ren so groups demanding rens happen already but are quite rare compared to the double chrono comps.It's awesome in fractals though and replaced the chrono setup even in most pugs.I would go with guardian as first choice like other here have already mentioned. Power dh is good to optimal on every power fight and can be played as condi or support aswell. qFb even uses the same gear as dh in fractals.Ren with it's diviner/condi builds is a really solid 2nd choice though if you get bored of guardian. Twin largos is the only fight where mirage is leagues above all the other options, condi ren is comparable on all the other condi fights to mirage so it just comes down to preference.

ooh that's a good point; i'd forgotten how much diviner's gear is a pain in the ass

and yeah, there are so many double chrono set-ups

@"Vinceman.4572" said:According to the thread about Teapot quitting the game it wonders me (no offense) that you are asking that special question here as it could have been answered in his stream months or even years ago.

Power DH is fine and not hard to learn.Double Bow Soulbeast for condi as far as I'm not wrong.Druid as heal support also is very easy to begin with and still regularly taken by pugs in fractals in raids.Healbrand for usual T4 groups, maybe not suitable for most pug raids due to still following chrono + druid meta.

Sure, there are some other builds, maybe some of them are easier I don't know but the above listed were the ones I invested time and dedication in.

Thanks!Regarding that thread, I <3 teapot, which is why i was worried about the implications of his departure. I very much want to be playing GW" fir years to come...

@"Cyninja.2954" said:

OP mentioned he wants a build for both, fractals and raids. Condi builds are not popular in fractals due to the short ttk on enemies and bosses. Bosses in fractals often have phases during which they become immune (even in regular T4 fractals) which cuts damage phases on them short and condi builds are a lot slower than power (ever since they changed that condis do not tick during immunity phases 2 years back).

So no, this is not an opinion thing but rather mathematical fact based on how damage is calculated and how encounters are designed. Even for raids, condition builds currently see play on 5-6 bosses only.

Now you can suggest all kinds of builds, but you should be honest enough to OP, who is inexperienced, what the drawbacks are. Condi builds most definately will see scrutiny in high level fractals and will get kicked from most CM groups.

EDIT:case in point, looking at metabattle for dungeons/fractals as well as discretize, there is not 1 condition build among the recommended and even among the good builds there is maybe 2 out of over 20-30 power builds. I'd say that is a pretty clear signal what people prefer for this content:https://metabattle.com/wiki/Fractalhttps://discretize.eu/builds

Yes condi builds are popular in both fractals and raids. What people prefer and what is totally viable or better are two completely different things. I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand? I already stated in my first reply that DH is a great power bursty build but as he is new, it can be very squishy, so suggested a more forgiving class. You're acting like he's going to jump into Dhuum CM from the get go lol. Plus I suggested CLASSES, not necessarily condi/power. The advantage of Necro and Ranger is that they can do both and are reasonably quick and cheap to gear up and have simple rotations; information you just totally glossed over.

With regards to raids, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. The only bosses you wouldn't bother with condi are KC and CA. Literally every other boss uses condi, especially top tier ones like dhuum. Yes you can use power or condi, but why lie and say that condi is hardly used when it clearly is and is actually NEEDED for some of the bosses.So yes, you are quoting an opinion and in a very disingenuous way; an opinion defined as a fact. The fact that you're quoting metabattle, which no one who is truly skilled at the game uses means I wouldn't personally trust your judgement.

Now you can suggest all sorts of builds, but you should be honest enough to the OP, that you're pretty inexperienced yourself.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:

EDIT:case in point, looking at metabattle for dungeons/fractals as well as discretize, there is not 1 condition build among the recommended and even among the good builds there is maybe 2 out of over 20-30 power builds. I'd say that is a pretty clear signal what people prefer for this content:

Yes condi builds are popular in both fractals and raids. What people prefer and what is totally viable or better are two completely different things. I'm not sure what part of that you don't understand? I already stated in my first reply that DH is a great power bursty build but as he is new, it can be very squishy, so suggested a more forgiving class. You're acting like he's going to jump into Dhuum CM from the get go lol. Plus I suggested CLASSES, not necessarily condi/power. The advantage of Necro and Ranger is that they can do both and are reasonably quick and cheap to gear up and have simple rotations; information you just totally glossed over.

Sure, POWER soulbeast is desired in fractals. I've provided insigth into what is considered good and very good for fractal by show of overwhelming majority of desired builds from the community. You can take that information of leave it. I really don't care. It was meant mostly for people reading this thread.

If you were suggesting classes, maybe go back and edit your initial response:

@lightinthedark.2596 said:If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge.

Scourge is certainly not desired in fractals unless as heal scourge for carrying bad T4 PUGs, condi scourge on Sirens Reef or as power reaper for anything else. Condi soulbeast would be better to be played as power soulbeast. I fail to see how you made this clear in your reply, which is the only reason people were disagreeing in the first place.

Neither will see any play in CM groups (condi, power soulbeast is fine).

@lightinthedark.2596 said:With regards to raids, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. The only bosses you wouldn't bother with condi are KC and CA. Literally every other boss uses condi, especially top tier ones like dhuum. Yes you can use power or condi, but why lie and say that condi is hardly used when it clearly is and is actually NEEDED for some of the bosses.So yes, you are quoting an opinion and in a very disingenuous way; an opinion defined as a fact. The fact that you're quoting metabattle, which no one who is truly skilled at the game uses means I wouldn't personally trust your judgement.

Now you can suggest all sorts of builds, but you should be honest enough to the OP, that you're pretty inexperienced yourself.

I'm at over 1.6k LI so I believe I have enough experience, newest snowcrows benchmarks are out (https://snowcrows.com/benchmarks/), there is 6-7 bosses in total which people run condition builds on out of 18 (Matthias, Cairn, Soulless Horror, Dhuum, Twins Largos, Sabir and Quadim 2 with Pylon Scourges). The only boss who requires 1-2 condi builds is VG for red.

Now you can keep insulting people in this thread, but I think I've provided enough resources for people who read attentively to make educated decisions and agree or disagree.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

EDIT:case in point, looking at metabattle for dungeons/fractals as well as discretize, there is not 1 condition build among the recommended and even among the good builds there is maybe 2 out of over 20-30 power builds. I'd say that is a pretty clear signal what people prefer for this content:

Sure, POWER soulbeast is desired in fractals. I've provided insigth into what is considered good and very good for fractal my show of overwhelming majority of desired builds. You can take that information of leave it. I really don't care.

If you were suggesting classes, maybe go back and edit your older response:

@lightinthedark.2596 said:If you want something more forgiving, then I would suggest either condi Soulbeast or Scourge.

Scourge is certainly not desired in fractals unless as heal scourge for carrying bad T4 PUGs, condi scourge on Sirens Reef or as power reaper for anything else. Condi soulbeast would be better as power soulbeast. I fail to see how you made this clear i n your reply, which is the only reason people were disagreeing in the first place.

Neither will see any play in CM groups.

@lightinthedark.2596 said:With regards to raids, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. The only bosses you wouldn't bother with condi are KC and CA. Literally every other boss uses condi, especially top tier ones like dhuum. Yes you can use power or condi, but why lie and say that condi is hardly used when it clearly is and is actually NEEDED for some of the bosses.So yes, you are quoting an opinion and in a very disingenuous way; an opinion defined as a fact. The fact that you're quoting metabattle, which no one who is truly skilled at the game uses means I wouldn't personally trust your judgement.

I'm at over 1.6k LI so I believe I have enough experience, newest snowcrows benchmarks are out (
), there is 6-7 bosses in total which people run condition builds on out of 18 (Matthias, Cairn, Soulless Horror, Dhuum, Twins Largos, Sabir and Quadim 2 with Pylon Scourges). The only boss who requires 1-2 condi builds is VG for red.

Now you can keep insulting people in this thread, but I think I've provided enough resources for people who read attentively to make educated decisions and agree or disagree.

Yeah And top of that most of those bosses that you listed favors Mirage or renegade over any other condi class coz of torment/confusion or other utility. Ok VG red you can easily deal with any condi but thats it.Feels weird when some1 suggests scourge as good class to start raid/fractals ?

• 2 weeks later...