More than a single stack of stability?

Famine.7915

Unfortunately, the design of the necromancer's defense revolve mainly around the idea of defending oneself with health point instead of nullifying effects like block/invuln/stab.I'm pretty sure the necromancer have higher chance to get:

• a skill that let you lose LF or health to prevent a hard CC effect.
  • a trait that let a minion take the hard CC effects from you.

Short and sweet: 2 stacks on foot, but stunbreak gets moved to grandmaster minor.Stab has risks - getting corrupted, getting stolen. Stunbreak is always safe. Now basic degree of anti cc is always present (stunbreak on minor), while bigger package is an option (Foot).

That being said, that solution is a bandaid fix - it would armtwist players more into Soul Reaping. True solution involves anti cc tools (not necessairly stab) being placed in other places, so Soul Reaping becomes an option, and not a necessity.

Death magic is one such good place to start. Few anti cc options i would envision there:

• minions taking cc for you like ranger pet with shared anguish. Each minion type would have separate cooldown for this.
  • Passive hard cc duration reduction. Something silimiar to Rune of Melandru. Fits passive defense thematic of the spec.
  • Unholy Sanctuary granting stab stacks when you exit shroud (opposed to Foot that gives them on entry). Good combo with beyond the veil.

The low stability access is a critical weakness designed into the Necromancer as a counter to the profession in PvP. It is surprising how much access Necro and its elite specializations have right now compared to at the launch of the game where stab seemed forbidden. As it is, there is access for core and both elites outside of Foot in the Grave. However, Necromancer is still very selfish in its weapons and skills so I believe the low stability access is so more generous professions like Guard, Rev, Mes, and Engi that can share their stab in a meaningful way.

Another factor involved is Necromancer's complete lack of any good Concentration builds. Necro can stack might on itself quite well without boon duration improvement but access to other boons is limited mostly to those given by other professions. Necro cannot even make use of Concentration in raids when surrounded by boon-sharing professions. It needs to be full dps even if healing power is used on a support Scourge. I wish core Necro came with an additional scaling factor for Concentration or maybe a flat bonus. So many equipment attribute types are wasted on the profession that I do not understand how Arenanet can ignore it. Gaining a boon on Necromancer from another profession's boon-share should be greatly rewarding for both the Necro and allies but it is, quite frankly, not. That is why a flat bonus to boon duration or an increase in duration scaling with the stat might help open up other builds beyond Berserker's or Viper's.

Would be cool if reaper had condition and cc reduction in shroud.Infusing terror and Relentless Pursuit are supposed to do something like that, but it doesn't seem to do much. I like the idea of the knight of death that is melee but it can barely do it and that is only because of the large burst damage, it can't really go toe to toe with the rest of the melee gallery.I really hate getting rag dolled.

@Anchoku.8142 said:The low stability access is a critical weakness designed into the Necromancer as a counter to the profession in PvP. It is surprising how much access Necro and its elite specializations have right now compared to at the launch of the game where stab seemed forbidden. As it is, there is access for core and both elites outside of Foot in the Grave. However, Necromancer is still very selfish in its weapons and skills so I believe the low stability access is so more generous professions like Guard, Rev, Mes, and Engi that can share their stab in a meaningful way.

Another factor involved is Necromancer's complete lack of any good Concentration builds. Necro can stack might on itself quite well without boon duration improvement but access to other boons is limited mostly to those given by other professions. Necro cannot even make use of Concentration in raids when surrounded by boon-sharing professions. It needs to be full dps even if healing power is used on a support Scourge. I wish core Necro came with an additional scaling factor for Concentration or maybe a flat bonus. So many equipment attribute types are wasted on the profession that I do not understand how Arenanet can ignore it. Gaining a boon on Necromancer from another profession's boon-share should be greatly rewarding for both the Necro and allies but it is, quite frankly, not. That is why a flat bonus to boon duration or an increase in duration scaling with the stat might help open up other builds beyond Berserker's or Viper's.

I totally agree with you here. Yet I'm pretty sure that if ANet were to cut the necromancer's boon duration to half, in order to open room for concentration, the necromancer's subforum would burn with hatred toward ANet.The boon that can benefit from concentration on the necromancer atm is protection and it's shamefully selfish. Other boons sources are either too anecdotics (regen/fury/stab) or too overflowing (might) for concentration to become meaningfull.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@Anchoku.8142 said:The low stability access is a critical weakness designed into the Necromancer as a counter to the profession in PvP. It is surprising how much access Necro and its elite specializations have right now compared to at the launch of the game where stab seemed forbidden. As it is, there is access for core and both elites outside of Foot in the Grave. However, Necromancer is still very selfish in its weapons and skills so I believe the low stability access is so more generous professions like Guard, Rev, Mes, and Engi that can share their stab in a meaningful way.

I totally agree with you here. Yet I'm pretty sure that if ANet were to cut the necromancer's boon duration to half, in order to open room for concentration, the necromancer's subforum would burn with hatred toward ANet.The boon that can benefit from concentration on the necromancer atm is protection and it's shamefully selfish. Other boons sources are either too anecdotics (regen/fury/stab) or too overflowing (might) for concentration to become meaningfull.

Yes, Necro dps is capped by 100% crit berserker and 100% condi duration hybrid. Barriers are not boons, though it would be nice if they were affected by concentration as well as healing.

It is possible for Arenanet to carefully begin working concentration variables into Necromancer. One of the profession's more useless trait lines could increase Concentration or its effects like it used to in 2012. Maybe that is why Death Magic is such a hard failure.

I really would like a rework of stability, a few skills/traits give small amounts, while others give it in a pulsing manner, or grant like 10 stacks.

It's true that previously an infinite cc immunity during duration of stability was pretty broken, but would something like that persist today, with all the boon stripping available?

I would change stability to be closer to what it was before, a boon that stacks in duration, but which gets it's remaining duration reduced when nullifying cc (for instance, make it -3 seconds per cc, and make the base boon duration something like 5 seconds).

Oh well, it may take a while before Anet decides to change stability / cc interactions again.

@"Anchoku.8142" said:It is possible for Arenanet to carefully begin working concentration variables into Necromancer. One of the profession's more useless trait lines could increase Concentration or its effects like it used to in 2012. Maybe that is why Death Magic is such a hard failure.

Well death magic... I think death magic fail mainly due to the very uniques defensive system of the necromancer and I doubt that concentration have any say in the matter.

From the minions traits that seem to work backward to the highly contested soul comprehension and unholy sanctuary blocking every possibility of having an e-spec without defense induilt into it's special mechanism (indirectly slapping the face for any possibility of a true glass canon build)... I truly doubt that concentration would ever do any good into this mess.

Seriously, DM is an hornet nest filled with abherations that try to support a skill category in the wrong way. They should have given blood magic the sustain/survivability theme and packed the support/defense theme onto death magic. From my point of view this is where they've gone wrong, death magic should have never been focused on selfish survivability and above all it shouldn't have used minions to do that. There is nothing to fix, the role given to the traitline and the thing they support just don't fit, even more than half the support traits in blood magic could fit the death magic thematic... The "defensive and support" trait distribution is a failure from the very beginning and the worst is that I'm not even talking about the necromancer's active defense...

... The subject of Death Magic is an hornet nest, it's better not to talk about it. It can only generate endless frustration and helplessness.

@Skotlex.7580 said:I really would like a rework of stability, a few skills/traits give small amounts, while others give it in a pulsing manner, or grant like 10 stacks.

It's true that previously an infinite cc immunity during duration of stability was pretty broken, but would something like that persist today, with all the boon stripping available?

I would change stability to be closer to what it was before, a boon that stacks in duration, but which gets it's remaining duration reduced when nullifying cc (for instance, make it -3 seconds per cc, and make the base boon duration something like 5 seconds).

Oh well, it may take a while before Anet decides to change stability / cc interactions again.

Well, I think that stability was a lot healthier for the game before they changed it. The issue is just that ANet wanted to reduce the gap between poorly organized zergs and well-organized zerg. It led us to the aweful pirateship war and ANet should have understood at that moment that what they did to stab wasn't wise and needed to be reverted asap. Now, it's simply to late.