Haven't played in years and looking to get back in. What are the major changes I should know?

Welcome back! I'd say the two biggest changes you'll find will be Elite Specializations and mounts. Each class now has two special traitlines that when unlocked and applied grant you access to a new weapon and a bunch of new skills. For example, a necromancer can become a Reaper and wield a greatsword, and use a new type of shroud. As for mounts, you'll see people all over the place running around on raptors, flying on griffons, etc. Could be fun things for you to go for. Hope you enjoy your time back in the game, see you out there!

Yeap, as mentioned above the two expansions will be the biggest change coming back along with the living world seasons as well which all give you new maps to explore and new stories, new features to unlock etc

Both expansions in my opinion are so worth it, and they are both still very very active

Alongside with alot of balance updates, ther hasn't been too much of a change. I quit in 2014 and came back 2019 may, I still felt right at home

Quite a lot happened. Things i would point out:

1. Runes overhaul - some got major changes, some were left alone, generally now fewer runesets are boring trash.
  2. Legendary armors - you can make them now, be it via spvp, wvw or raids. Benefit of lege armor is free stat swapping and ability to remove old runes without destroying them (they are returned to you inventory).
  3. Path of Fire xpac landed with it's specs and mounts.
  4. if pink is your religion - legendary accessories can now be made too. If not, nothing to see, move along.
  5. Several professions had some updates to their skillset.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:Quite a lot happened. Things i would point out:

1. Runes overhaul - some got major changes, some were left alone, generally now fewer runesets are boring trash.
  2. Legendary armors - you can make them now, be it via spvp, wvw or raids. Benefit of lege armor is free stat swapping and ability to remove old runes without destroying them (they are returned to you inventory).
  3. Path of Fire xpac landed with it's specs and mounts.
  4. if pink is your religion - legendary accessories can now be made too. If not, nothing to see, move along.
  5. Several professions had some updates to their skillset.

Legendary is purple. :p

Pink is ascended.