Would a Charr player answer the second riddle correctly in "head of the snake->confessor's end" lws3

@"Crystal Paladin.3871" said:The title says it all... :P

Only if you've played the episode recently, or remember the entire thing in detail. (Or want to take the time to look it up on the Wiki to find the missing information.)

I assume you're referring to this riddle: "Confessor Caudecus: I have a head like a cat. I have feet like a cat. But I am dumber than a cat." (Although there's actually two possible riddles, the other one is "Confessor Caudecus: I'm half as smart and twice as strong. I've got a kick you won't forget.")

In either case half the trick with riddles is working out what kind of things the other person is likely to use as answers and how they would perceive them. (As explained in The Hobbit, where Gollum has to try to remember what life above ground was like in order to answer Bilbo's riddles.) Even the most arrogant charr could probably recognise that a racist human cultist would consider them dumber than a cat. They may resent giving that answer and an especially stubborn charr might refuse to give the right answer, but I'm sure they could work out what was intended.

Alternatively a charr player who is choosing in-character answers would be more likely to answer the first riddle ("Confessor Caudecus: You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?") with chicken than corn, and then they'll get the centaur one anyway.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Yes, because the writers forgot that the Charr (or any other race for that matter) weren't human

This
is a major problem in this game since the abandoning of personalized content.

The only storyline I noticed this as a problem was in s3ep6 with the shining blade. Can you give another example where this caused inconsistenties?

@yann.1946 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Yes, because the writers forgot that the Charr (or any other race for that matter) weren't human

This

The only storyline I noticed this as a problem was in s3ep6 with the shining blade. Can you give another example where this caused inconsistenties?

Well, there was the point where my Asura commander was introduced to Professor Gor, whom she had spent the 30-level storyline rescuing and assisting, whle assuming that I already had a clue who the heck Countess Anise was.

To be honest, I didn't even know there was a different dialogue than the centaur one. And I did this instance on all races. Sadly, I never got to trigger anything different.To get back to the question: It depends on the charr actually. Not every charr is the same and some may get more easily offended while others laugh at such things.

@"Kumouta.4985" said:Yes, because charr are smart enough to notice that the riddle was made by a racist.

Really? We go this far as to state that the writers are "racist" in a fantasy game. I gave up on the mentality of the people playing this game when I was deemed "racist" for creating and promoting an "All Norn" guild. The constant drop of certain words devalue their meaning.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@"Kumouta.4985" said:Yes, because charr are smart enough to notice that the riddle was made by a racist.

Really? We go this far as to state that the writers are "racist" in a fantasy game. I gave up on the mentality of the people playing this game when I was deemed "racist" for creating and promoting an "All Norn" guild. The constant drop of certain words devalue their meaning.

He isn't saying the the writers are racist, he is saying Caudecus is racist...

I felt like there's some reasoning here that works easily. Overall, I'm sure there are still charr who aren't completely sold on humans as allies - and I don't mean those within the Flame Legion. You don't have a history of warfare without being aware of some stereotypes and the like. If you had a room of statues, that riddle, and a charr statue was one of the options, knowing what you know about Caudecus and the White Mantle I felt it was reasonable to figure out for non-humans.

Maybe play it off that Anise or someone gave you a relevant clue or background info.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Heh, Kumouta meant Caudecus, the guy who made that whole circus show in the basement, is the racist.

@yann.1946 said:

This

About every asura instance where Taimi treats us, the Snaff Savant, as a dumb skritt

@leunamsil.6742 said:

This. Racial tensions exist in Tyria. Just because I play a Charr doesn't mean I became automatically blind to the fact that some power hungry (and also dead) jerkwad thinks charr are primal. Pretty sure that same connection could be made canonically.

Sounds like you're using that as a stand in for a larger issue. You can make whatever guild you want, my guy. Guilds are made up of people though, remember that.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Only if you've played the episode recently, or remember the entire thing in detail. (Or want to take the time to look it up on the Wiki to find the missing information.)

I assume you're referring to this riddle: "Confessor Caudecus: I have a head like a cat. I have feet like a cat. But I am dumber than a cat." (Although there's actually two possible riddles, the other one is "Confessor Caudecus: I'm half as smart and twice as strong. I've got a kick you won't forget.")

In either case half the trick with riddles is working out what kind of things the other person is likely to use as answers and how they would perceive them. (As explained in The Hobbit, where Gollum has to try to remember what life above ground was like in order to answer Bilbo's riddles.) Even the most arrogant charr could probably recognise that a racist human cultist would consider them dumber than a cat. They may resent giving that answer and an especially stubborn charr might refuse to give the right answer, but I'm sure they could work out what was intended.

Alternatively a charr player who is choosing in-character answers would be more likely to answer the first riddle ("Confessor Caudecus: You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?") with chicken than corn, and then they'll get the centaur one anyway.

The bigger mystery is why there are all those corn fields and even candy corn for a holiday, but no actual corn in any recipes.

IIRC some of the questions have multiple answers

@Bridget Morrigan.1752 said:

The bigger mystery is why there are all those corn fields and even candy corn for a holiday, but no actual corn in any recipes.

Candy Corn is a magical item from a different realm.

@Cynder.2509 said:To be honest, I didn't even know there was a different dialogue than the centaur one. And I did this instance on all races. Sadly, I never got to trigger anything different.To get back to the question: It depends on the charr actually. Not every charr is the same and some may get more easily offended while others laugh at such things.

The first question has two correct answers - corn or chicken. Which one you pick determines the next question, so unless you made sure to pick different correct answers each time you won't have gotten the charr question.

(There's also a 3rd options, which is to keep giving wrong answers and eventually you get through anyway but I think there's more combat involved.)

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

This

About every asura instance where Taimi treats us, the Snaff Savant, as a dumb skritt

Taimi is a teenage girl, and already an established researcher. Of course she thinks she's smarter than everyone else around her, the Commander included. Hopefully she'll grow out of it, although I've known some who never did.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

This. Racial tensions exist in Tyria. Just because I play a Charr doesn't mean I became automatically blind to the fact that some power hungry (and also dead) jerkwad thinks charr are primal. Pretty sure that same connection could be made canonically.

Sounds like you're using that as a stand in for a larger issue. You can make whatever guild you want, my guy. Guilds are made up of people though, remember that.

Here's how I see it. Let's say I write a fictional book with a character that is racist. In today's world most don't discuss the character or the substance but attack the writer because he wrote the book.

@yann.1946 said:

This

The only storyline I noticed this as a problem was in s3ep6 with the shining blade. Can you give another example where this caused inconsistenties?Lazarus storyline. The first one - remember, enmity with Mursaat/White Mantle are mainly a Krytan thing. Ascalonians from Ebonhawke wouldn't care. Norns wouldn't care. Asura definitely wouldnt care. Sylvari might (because they do seem to care about everything), but that doesn't mean they would care for the same things as Krytans would. Whole Balthasar storyline (him being a god would be irrelevant to Charr, for example. Charr kill gods as a matter of principles nowadays and definitely wouldn't feel conflicted about it). Then there's the whole personal story asking the Pale Tree about advice thing. Something that would be irrelevant for most of the players (for anyone that's not Sylvari, Pale Tree is nothing more than a Sylvari leader. You might as well go and ask Asura council for advice, they would have as much credibility).Well, reaction of any other races towards sylvari is also hard to explain. By looking at the story, you would never guess that we're talking about a race that didn't even exist 30 years before. That has neither prior reputation, nor military might to stand on. And yet somehow they are being treated as equals.

The whole s3e6 Shining Blade thing is just a cherry on top. Granted, a very visible one, but still just an addition to ton of other things.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

Here's how I see it. Let's say I write a fictional book with a character that is racist. In today's world most don't discuss the character or the substance but attack the writer because he wrote the book.

What? I read i lot and never have i ever seen anyone attack a writer because the bad guy of the movie/book/game is racist... Have you ever seen any one say tolkien is racist because Sauron wanted to kill mankind? Or that JK Rolling is racist because Voldemort wanted to rule over muggles?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

This

The only storyline I noticed this as a problem was in s3ep6 with the shining blade. Can you give another example where this caused inconsistenties?Lazarus storyline. The first one - remember, enmity with Mursaat/White Mantle are mainly a Krytan thing.Ascalonians from Ebonhawke wouldn't care. Norns wouldn't care. Asura definitely wouldnt care. Sylvari might (because they do seem to care about everything), but that doesn't mean they would care for the same things as Krytans would.

Isn't the reason you care, because you interacted with caudecus before(in the dungeon paths). And you got into contact with the white mantle because of a magic disturbance.

Whole Balthasar storyline (him being a god would be irrelevant to Charr, for example. Charr kill gods as a matter of principles nowadays and definitely wouldn't feel conflicted about it).

Does the pc care that he is a God? I thought their are lots off complains because the pc didn't seem to care enough if you're human.

Then there's the whole personal story asking the Pale Tree about advice thing. Something that would be irrelevant for most of the players (for anyone that's not Sylvari, Pale Tree is nothing more than a Sylvari leader. You might as well go and ask Asura council for advice, they would have as much credibility).

This is a consequence of you being close with trahearn? I might be wrong about this though.

Well, reaction of any other races towards sylvari is also hard to explain. By looking at the story, you would never guess that we're talking about a race that didn't even exist 30 years before. That has neither prior reputation, nor military might to stand on. And yet somehow they are being treated as equals.

This is something I agree on. It is a little weird.

The whole s3e6 Shining Blade thing is just a cherry on top. Granted, a very visible one, but still just an addition to ton of other things.

@leunamsil.6742 said:

What? I read i lot and never have i ever seen anyone attack a writer because the bad guy of the movie/book/game is racist... Have you ever seen any one say tolkien is racist because Sauron wanted to kill mankind? Or that JK Rolling is racist because Voldemort wanted to rule over muggles?

He/She probably thinks of H. P. Lovecraft

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:About every asura instance where Taimi treats us, the Snaff Savant, as a dumb skrittRemember when Snaff appear as a ghost to assist us? What was my Asura reaction? "Snaff? how is this possible?!" because year of living in a land where dragon, robot and GHOST exist, seeing someone died a long time ago become a ghost should be surprising as knowing you can toggle your helmet on/off. Snaff was a big suprise then the dialogue ruined it followed by me unable to tell him how i've accomplished many things with Zojja.

I play a charr ranger and thought this was hilarious. I hear the riddle, look around the room at all the different creatures, Griffin, Sphinx, others and then I see a Charr in a stupid pose and I was like "oh yeah, no way it's anything else".

The corn riddle had for a minute me but only because I didn't see that option initially.

@leunamsil.6742 said:

Without getting too political and derailing this thread, I can give you some instances. But it all depends on what agenda you want to use.