Soulbeast damage is still busted

Xervite.5493

I use maul all the time during stealth and never get that high of dps and that's with half zerk and half maurader and using sic em and OWP so they not only must be running pure glass and utilizing the shortest stealth in the game not to mention one of the slowest skills in the game lol. That's a lot of dps but don't know about OP compared to what else is in this game lol

@"Xervite.5493" said:I was in free for all arena in mists running a maur amulet guard and bam one shot by a stealth soulbeast. I thought the damage was nerfed? How is this thing hitting 18k with one skill?

edit: clicking the link does not work for some reason so you gotta copy paste it in url manually

https://imgur.com/a/mkA1x05

One-shot Slb dmg come from many traits and set-ups combined in to one moment/opportunity, the nerf it received to Sic' Em was not gonna do any significant difference to its capabilities.

Yes axe dmg is broken and some pets are not only a bit but insane op, like gazelle. The amount of stealth and disengage ability is ridiculous. Dmg and sustain have the usual unbalance. There are some crazy Core and Soulbeast builds with either axe or gs/ longbow running, i would put around old CI Mirage lvl... vote for disable the class tbh :)

Before the sic-em nerf i have a 26k maul hit screenshot. I got hit for a 17k worldy impact on my 1300T firebrand yesterday (who really can't get above 20k hp without pure tank builds). Yeah, the zerker Soulbeast builds get pretty stupid. A bunch of stacking % modifiers, great weapon scaling, and tons of self buffs. Thats kind of the design of the class, but it leads to some really stupid bursts. I would rather ranger get some of its burst damage multipliers transferred onto lower number but longer duration effects.

And no, not all classes can do this. Most classes that have this type of damage have it spread over multiple hits (guard GS2, Reaper shroud 4, holo forge 4) and therefore over a duration that can be dodged. The only classes that can effectively insta-kill you are thief, soulbeast, and mirage.

@Zephoid.4263 said:The only classes that can effectively insta-kill you are thief, soulbeast, and mirage.

I believe there is way to do it with every class, but you really need to sacrifice everything for the one big hit or insta high dmg.

• zerker FA Ele (sure it's not one skill but can still do insta kill with combo)
  • riffle War
  • Engi - not sure here as I don't play engi, but zerker Engi could maybe onehit ppl with Grenade Barrage?
  • zerker Guard with good timing could onehit with Mighty Blow + Shield of wrath

@Miyu.8137 said:

@Zephoid.4263 said:The only classes that can effectively insta-kill you are thief, soulbeast, and mirage.

I believe there is way to do it with every class, but you really need to sacrifice everything for the one big hit or insta high dmg.
  • zerker FA Ele (sure it's not one skill but can still do insta kill with combo)
  • riffle War
  • Engi - not sure here as I don't play engi, but zerker Engi could maybe onehit ppl with Grenade Barrage?
  • zerker Guard with good timing could onehit with Mighty Blow + Shield of wrath

Like Zephoid.4263 said there are several other builds that can one shot with proper gear. But so few requires just 1 skill or button to do it. Usually they require a combo to do it. But best and easiest ones are ranger and thief. Others need to memorize a combo (not that hard btw).

@"alain.1659" said:Like Zephoid.4263 said there are several other builds that can one shot with proper gear. But so few requires just 1 skill or button to do it. Usually they require a combo to do it. But best and easiest ones are ranger and thief. Others need to memorize a combo (not that hard btw).

For ranger it means to use Sic 'Em! and to gain Moment of Clarity https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Moment_of_Clarity which also requires good timing. No way you can regularly hit so hard. Such hit must be simply prepared.

• 1 month later...

I think my biggest issue is that they can do it from a further distance than any other class and move (unlike the Deadshot). So sure they are glass but getting to them is much more difficult when they can start hitting you 25% sooner then you can hit or interrupt them. I feel you have to create a build specifically for them, which to me makes it seem busted.

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:Damage in general is busted, not just for 1 shot builds. Pretty much every 1 shot build can do 15-20k+ damage with a minimal telegraph or stealth, and non 1 shot builds do 10k+ combos easily.

I dont disagree with it, but defenses have been creeped up as well, just that not all classes have kept up in that department. Take for instance eles, on core the Celestial D/D cantrip build was at the time the most oppressive solo build in existance, so strong that people were running 3-4 D/D eles + the mandatory thief (since beta that hasnt changed) and often a mesmer too. Now, even if you brought back the old celestial amulet with more stats (back then celestial had 3700 total stats whereas all other amulets have the 3200 we have now, including current celestial), the 3 might on cantrip usage and old RtL, it would still not be able to survive in the current meta. Mind you, since then, eles have received a few buffs to fire, arcane and water trait lines, and even then, it still wouldnt be enough.

Eles never kept up with the defensive upgrades, which is why Fresh air build still exist but it is not meta by any means; because it has about the same damage of many other meta classes, while having little to no defense and mobility (granted fresh air burst is mostly upfronted and that is not healthy for the game either, so power needs to be shift away from insta unreactable skills), whereas classes like warrior, holo, soulbeast, daredevil, deadeye or mirage, enjoy similar levels of damage output while still having tools like invuln/stealth/raw healing/disengage and reengage teleporting skills/ access to many mobility skills that need the RtL treatment or they need to unnerf RtL to be more in line with literally all other mobility spells in the game , even those that dont require a target/ teleports that dont require LoS and can go vertically and behind walls, from literally unseen positions (as long as someone before hand targeted the receiving party). The list can be long.

Anet tried to address this by removing many passive defense traits, which are neither skillful nor intrinsically rewarding (pressing buttons is rewarding, which is why you get box inside boxes with more boxes inside, our monkey brains are very primitive on that regards, the limbic system, specifically the reward center on the ventral straitum bypasses conscious thought, which is why it is so difficult to stop a person from gambling despite the fact they know it is ruining their lives and those around them), these skills would keep you alive, sure, but you had no power over them.

But now we need to address damage:  This is tricky though. Once you give a cool toy to someone, you cant take it away, even though they didnt have the toy before and you are just returning them to their previous state (having no toy) it still has terrible consequences on our monkey brains that incorporate every possitive stuff we get as baseline, which is why they say money cant buy you happiness; most people that win the lottery are bankrupt with a year or two, most NFL players who make several millions a year are usually bankrupt by the age of ~30, etc etc, once we have a new "standard of living" it becomes baseline, so you must add more to it or else you dont get the same dopamine release from these reward center, we like positive change, no matter how good things are, we need it to get even better because our brains react only to change, otherwise, homeostasis is reached. DPS roles are popular, see overwatch's new queue role, 1-2 mins for healers/tanks, 7-8 mins DPS role. If you take away the now "baseline" damage of these classes, which would only be reverting things to a previously accepted state (during HoT we complained about powercreep, now is about PoF, and HoT builds are mostly obsolete) it would not make many, if not most people happy.

So anet has thre choices; 1) leave it as it is, 2)nerf it and deal with already unhappy pvpers being even unhappier, 3) powercreep everyone to the same level as the dominating builds. Each one brings its good and bads, and I dont think Anet is ready yet to take that decision (maybe in the next 7 years it might happen?)

-Source on science stuff; im a med student going through my Neuro block, so im literally studying the reward centers and amygdala on another tab.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Dreddo.9865 said:If we consider one shot kills acceptable in a RPG game we better switch to counter strike or other shooters where 'head-shots' make sense and are way more fun to play in that regard.

well what do you expect to happen when glass hits glass?

Well, that both are dead...?! That's at least what usually would happen if glass hits glass. :#