WTF has happened to thief?

Felwal.9618

@TwiceDead.1963 said:I think the reason you don't see thieves dropping left and right is because they all learned early when to run away, which is usually early in the engage.

This was ingrained into Thief players especially before the existence of the Marauder amulet in PvP.

A Berserker/Assassin Thief is nearly twitch-based gameplay, and offers little to no forgiveness for mistakes or missed timing. I just wish the reward was worth the risk. Outside of playing it to improve your Thieving skills, it offers little benefit to justify the vulnerability. And that is extremely unfortunate.

i have been maining thief for such a long time it was the first class i played when i got the game and i've been playing on and off for a long time but i feel like the class has just gotten more boring. Thief has always required some skill to play effectively (atleast in PvP) since its a squishy class by default but it felt really nice when you actually got rewarded for outplaying your opponent by blinding key skills and landing bursts and backstabs on people at crucial times but its just gotten boring since you dont really get that reward in the form of damage anymore other classes have just gotten tankier over time ever since the june 2015 balance patch that replaced traits with specializations before that there was a lot more build diversity and more options. Then they released HoT and that made almost every single class a lot stronger and their defences became better after that thief felt really weak atleast D/P you could still use something like staff but it was still a weak class just like warrior was back then. But then later on they buffed thief and increased AA damage on dagger that actually made thief feel a lot better when you actually did a lot of damage if people just let you hit them over. Thief was still very squishy and back then had no invulns exept dodges wich thief got in spades maybe to much especially if you were using dash so they nerfed it and added exaustion to it and thats fair enough its kinda OP to get out of every single movement impairing condi just with a dodge but it was ether before this or after this PoF launched and then they just increased condi damage overall and gave some specs ridiculus amounts of survuvability so thief started feeling a bit weaker but it was still fun to play exept when you got 1 shot by a condi bomb from a scourge. A bit after that i took a pretty long break on and off but more often off and now thief basically has no damage its back to where it was just after HoT dropped. Against any competent player you can only run and try to decap. overall thiefs low base health and pretty crappy damage makes it really boring to play combined with the game moving more and more towards condi and tankier builds and all these passive invulns and shit like that just slows the game down. (and thief has no good condi build) Sadly i've tried every class and most of them just feel boring compared to thief but all of them feel a lot stronger so im probably just gonna leave the game again and keep an eye out to see if they make some good changes.

Eso has it's own issues but atleast the high mobility/squishy class (nightblade) is top of the list as far as burst dps goes unlike gw2 balance team that makes the higher hp/sustain classes not only have good to great mobility, higher bursts but throw in more hard cc to sweeten the deal to the point where u went from just crys cuz people got out played as will always happen to constant cries cuz thieves started to resort to cheese builds and playstyles to compensate for hitting like garbage in most instances. Good job anet, way to cave and wreck a class :)

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Eso has it's own issues but atleast the high mobility/squishy class (nightblade) is top of the list as far as burst dps goes unlike gw2 balance team that makes the higher hp/sustain classes not only have good to great mobility, higher bursts but throw in more hard cc to sweeten the deal to the point where u went from just crys cuz people got out played as will always happen to constant cries cuz thieves started to resort to cheese builds and playstyles to compensate for bitten like garbage fin most instances. Good job anet, way to cave and wreck a class :)

My question is... if Thieves lost Stealth, could we please get our relative damage advantage back? It seems that people complain mostly about getting insta-downed from an invisible foe. I'm sure they wouldn't like to get insta-downed from a visible Thief either, but at least it would be more "balanced"???

If we don't lose Stealth, then make Stealth Attacks (Backstab/Death's Judgement) focus more on debilitating the target instead of outright damaging it. Then make the normal (visible) attacks more lethal.

Then again, people will complain about anything that kills them. And even the Thief community is a ragtag, divisive bunch that has little unity, unfortunately.

I’ve noticed that thief damage isn’t low. It’s that opponents have a lot of mitigation. Once you get past that mitigation thief does kill opponents well enough.

What most thieves need is it’s own sustain to stay in the fight. (Smoke Screen is a step in that direction).

@saerni.2584 said:I’ve noticed that thief damage isn’t low. It’s that opponents have a lot of mitigation. Once you get past that mitigation thief does kill opponents well enough.

What most thieves need is it’s own sustain to stay in the fight. (Smoke Screen is a step in that direction).

This is very true with some weapons. Staff dps is fine but most of its attacks are too predictable and slow. Sword only needs a slight dps boost. Sb doesnt need damage as it's fine as a utility weapon. Daggers need a dps buff bad on all its attacks and pistols offer good control and dont really need any buffs. Just my opinion.

@saerni.2584 said:I’ve noticed that thief damage isn’t low. It’s that opponents have a lot of mitigation. Once you get past that mitigation thief does kill opponents well enough.

That's the main reason I pack Rending Shade with other boon steal and quickness into my opener with premeditation. It kind of sucks to have to put soo much into such a quick window since some of those modifiers go on cooldowns but I guess those cd's cycle enough.

In that case, I would lobby for a trait in Critical Strikes that specifically ignores and/or significantly reduces opponents' damage mitigation.

Let those Thieves who so choose to play as a Glass Cannon Assassin have a decent shot being successful without having to out-sustain the enemy. Again, even if they have to tone down damage from Stealth in order to balance out the advantage, at least let visible Thieves have a more equal footing.

I'm not necessarily speaking of allowing one-shot/burst builds, but builds that could force and compete in very short duels (short enough to make reinforcements a non-factor) if the Thief gets a successful opening burst.

Personally, I'm interested in PvP capability specifically, and the Thief's main enemy there is time. Even if you successfully outplay and outsustain an opponent, it takes way too much time to make it worth doing so.

I do find it rather ironic, though. The Thief is all about a fast-paced play-style. The one thing it can't do fast is win a fight... though it can certainly lose one quickly.

I like having the choice of more sustainability, of course, though I'd like the choice to accelerate things also.

@Kageseigi.2150 said:

In that case, I would lobby for a trait in Critical Strikes that specifically ignores and/or significantly reduces opponents' damage mitigation.

Let those Thieves who so choose to play as a Glass Cannon Assassin have a decent shot being successful without having to out-sustain the enemy. Again,
even if they have to tone down damage from Stealth in order to balance out the advantage
, at least let visible Thieves have a more equal footing.

I'm not necessarily speaking of allowing one-shot/burst builds, but builds that could force and compete in very short duels (short enough to make reinforcements a non-factor) if the Thief gets a successful opening burst.

Personally, I'm interested in PvP capability specifically, and the Thief's main enemy there is time. Even if you successfully outplay and outsustain an opponent, it takes way too much time to make it worth doing so.

I do find it rather ironic, though. The Thief is all about a fast-paced play-style. The one thing it can't do fast is win a fight... though it can certainly lose one quickly.

I like having the choice of more sustainability, of course, though I'd like the choice to accelerate things also.

You'd have to move around and replace some things, I'm not a stealth player but I launch allot of stuff from stealth.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:I noticed that the meta build for daredevil d/p uses eagle runes instead of scholar, how comes?

It doesn't matter all too much, either you gonna have the +10% dmg because you should he bursting/+1ing low hp targets anyway or you gonna have the +5% because you should not be bursting/+1ing without enough hp anyway.The +10% is bit more likely to be more consistent but you lose the bonus power from Scholar, however the +10% equals more dmg than with the scholar bonus power.