API data does not match the in-game data

Gorilla.4120

1: Yes, they use different sources (the ingame view was added much later): the API version tracks death- and kill-event-logs from the game and submits them to the API. The API version also has some caching issues (so expect no refreshes in kills for some minutes to hours).

2: the Team/Guild stats never worked properly and have been disabled for quite some time.

Thanks for the feedback @werdernator.6105. Hopefully, if anything, this has brought some attention to the problem and a Dev will look in to fixing it. It's a shame that all of the data isn't correct because people have developed some pretty amazing websites and apps to display the information. :(

• 4 weeks later...

@"werdernator.6105" said:The API version also has some caching issuesThe caching issue seems like a major issue for the wvw api.I gathered some raw data by saving the api results every minute for more than a whole week. These are the results:Other errors: 17/12097 - 0.14 % (API returns an error state)Cache errors: 4484/12097 - 37.07 %All errors: 4501/12097 - 37.21 %Mean cache error length (in minutes): 37.68 +- 19.60

I determined the number of cache errors by calculating the activity of all servers (adding kills+deaths) and checking if the activity does not change for more than 5 minutes. (So possibly there are false-positives in there where no one died in a time slot of 5 minutes, but there are also possible excluded false-negatives where the cache error were shorter than 5 minutes)Interestingly the length of these cache outages differ almost uniformly from 1 minute up to more than one hour:NwpIBkK.png

I also described the issue here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/73928/wvw-apiWould be great if this gets fixed soon.