How many of the professions do you play?

Yannir.4132

One and a half

Cheeky answer perhaps, but maybe it'll make sense when I explain what I mean by that.

I started out maining an Elementalist back in June of this year. After a number of false starts for one reason or another, I finally got her to 80 and started messing around with the Weaver elite. Suffice it to say, it was not my cup of tea. Between the low health and the constantly shifting skills I quickly grew frustrated with the class in general and Weaver in particular. So, I maxed out Tempest thinking it would help. It didn't, at least not enough. Other things about the class started creeping up and eventually I gave up. I still have the character, despite only having 5 character slots total, as she represents my first 80.

Next, I decided I wanted to main a Mesmer. I like the clothy look the best and would really like to stick with clothes instead of trench coats or plate armor. Mesmer was fun, very easy to level contrary to everything I had read on the forums and was my main until the latest 'balance' patch. While I never played Chrono, my Mirage was hit in a way that's ruined the class for me and that is the dodge nerf. It may be I'm just a bad player but before I could use my 'shift' to avoid damage and the speed to actually get out of the red circles. With the nerf, I can't move fast enough and wind up having to either 'dodge' again, which I often couldn't do because it was part of my dps rotation as well, or get hit by what I was trying to avoid in the first place. That and the fact that my clones were always disappearing after one enemy died while there were 12 more still trying to kill me just got to be so annoying that I've more or less shelved her. Pity that, she's easily my most advanced character with 73% map completion and working on LW2. I was trying to go in order.

I then decided to switch to Ranger, thinking I would get to keep my medium health, attack at range or melee as I chose and solo champions etc. It is sort of working? She's level 62 with 51% map completion because I was purposefully going about things differently than any other character. I was trying to get as much of Tyria done as possible before hitting 80. I avoided events, including going out of my way and delaying some hearts because of them, didn't use xp bonuses of any kind and didn't craft anything. I've decided to take a break from her though as she's starting to get boring.

Now my latest attempt at finding a main is a Necromancer. She's only level 12 at the moment. The problem is, despite the fact that I'm going about things differently than the last time I tried necro I'm already kind of bored with her.

It could be I just need a break from GW2 in general as I've been playing a lot lately before my new job starts this coming Friday and might be suffering from burnout and the frustrations of finding something to main. Honestly, I don't really want multiple characters as I have so much content to go through. I know, I don't have to do everything on one character. The problem is I want to. I don't want to use one character for this part of the story, another character for that, and still another for this over here.

As for classes I've tried, and by that mean they got to level 20 at the least, are: Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Ranger, Guardian and Thief. I'm not big on technology in fantasy games so it's doubtful I'll ever really play an Engineer. Warrior and Revenant don't interest me as they are plate wearers. Thief was merely to experience the Sylvari personal story (chapter 1-3) for the personal experience, achievement points and farming low level mats in a way that didn't feel like farming. Actually, I still need the Asura and might kill two birds with one stone as it were by making an Asura Engineer. What the heck, a Charr Warrior and a Norn Revenant to finish off the whole not tried everything thing. I only need to play them to level 30 and do three chapters.

Anyways, things that matter to me are:

Is the character fun to play, otherwise what's the point?Does the character look good in her clothes without needing an outfit to look presentable?Can I use the character in multiple game modes such as WvW, Fractals and Raids?Are there multiple specs, or ways to play, so I don't get bored? Since I want to focus on one character, being able to play the same one in different ways will be important to stave off boredom and a sense of tediousness.Can I effectively solo Champions and other difficult content? Despite being part of an active guild, I want to be able to do things myself and not have to rely on others for every little thing.

I'm thinking Necro could be it eventually, but I don't know. At least with the Ranger and Mesmer I was having fun most of the time up until very recently. Even the Elementalist was fun at the time using dagger/dagger as I enjoyed the fast paced action of a melee sorceress.

At the moment, I'm using Ax/Dagger + Staff on the Necromancer. Seems like she has plenty of AoE between those and death shroud (which I use liberally and not as a second health bar). No idea if I'm going to use minions or not, at least for the foreseeable future anyway.

-Jenny

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic