Queen Guantlet too hard? Why release impossible fights for festivals? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Queen Guantlet too hard? Why release impossible fights for festivals?

13>

Comments

• @Witchypoo.3702 said:

@Doc Holiday.1326 said:
    Let me begin by saying that I have played this game since release. I consider myself a fairly experienced player. Now I don't like to brag, but I have the Dungeon Master title, and I have 80% map completion. <

This sounds like a troll to me. "Played since release" and only 80% map completion, and Dungeon Master as if that's a tough achiev.

Lots of people don't bother with map completion. Some people point to it as "meaningful" because it's one of the few badges that appear on screen.

OP has around 25k AP, which likely means that they have dailies maxed and do very little hunting for achievements. That is a very plausible scenario for the type of veteran who wouldn't encounter challenging solo content very often.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• deadly.6938deadly.6938 Member
    edited August 7, 2019

Sooo.. festivals have always been this way since the start of the game and all those bosses and events were put into the game back in August 6, 2013 before any expansions and raids were ever introduced and has never been changed in difficulty except for the "special tier" with Turai Ossa..

• Your experience or time invested into the game amounts to nothing if you do not actually understand mechanics or builds ( or the reasons why builds exists). The fights are meant to be challenging, but they are not impossible if you understand the fight and tailor your setup. These fights aren't DPS checks, they aren't meant for raid builds, they are mechanic checks. You won't see a build optimized for having permanent boons and heal support going into those and ending up being the most successful things. Mechanics is what will carry you in Queen's Gauntlet.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Shaddy Bear.3096 said:
    As a fellow gamer, I agree with you. My Minstrels chronomancer couldn't even kill the first boss, then I tried turai osira, everyone told me he was easy but I couldn't even damage him. I think he was hacking, it is too hard and I think I'm going back to being a condi thief in PVP because that is fun. I cant deal with the toxicity and the hardness of the bosses. best of lick on ur adventores fellow gamer

Keep in mind that these bosses tend to have a trick to them. In the case of Turai Ossa, he has a buff that makes him take very little damage. You're supposed to avoid his attacks and survive until he leaps to the center of the arena and begins to charge a ranged attack. CC him at this point and you will stun him, removing the buff and making him vulnerable to damage. This is the only way to win this fight. You can't beat him without removing that buff.

If these fights seem impossible, chances are there is something you are missing. They aren't overtuned, but they do have mechanics that you need to understand in order to win.

As helpful as this is, I think his comment went right over your head.

• Farling.8075Farling.8075 Member
    edited August 7, 2019

This is a troll right? We're being memed here.... right...?

@Doc Holiday.1326 said:
    I have the Dungeon Master title, and I have 80% map completion.

• Eloc Freidon.5692Eloc Freidon.5692 Member ✭✭✭✭

Queen's Gauntlet was the first instance where I had to look online for a video on how to cheese some of these fights. Sometimes a game should have such things. Though it says a lot about how much of a difference there is between average player build knowledge and in depth build knowledge you have to be shown.

• Friday.7864Friday.7864 Member ✭✭

@Randulf.7614 said:
    The bosses are designed to be challenging. The are meant to test your skills. As an average at best player, I think they are an outstanding design added to the festival given there are plenty of easy things to do for the exact same rewards. It took me multiple festivals to finally clear all but the Liadri orb achievement, which I may or mot not attempt this year.

The first boss alone is just a normal mob. The rest are just about mechanics. If you can adjust your playstyle and adapt and learn the encounters, then most will be straightforward.

They are nowhere near the high end of the skill ladder, but I don't understand why people who want to test their skill shouldn't have something for them. The Gauntlet has largely been praised and welcomed over the years and the feeling of accomplishment in beating Liadri has been one of the top memorable moments for many a player.

I don't raid and I'm not really an elite player, a meta player or the such. And yeah I got largely pissed off when I was doing them back in the day. But, coming to the forums and asking for a nerf in a popular and successful piece of content which is as designed, is never going to happen since none of them are overtuned. Not a single one.

The whole point of this thread is: Challenging content doesn't belong in festivals.
    It's supposed to be a casual thing, something everyone can do, not an experience that makes you want to smash your keyboard ._.

Luckily I had a theif which made the worst achievements doable without it taking hundreds of tries.
    Crown pavilion just sucks, labyrinthine cliffs is the ok part of the festival.

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Friday.7864 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:
    The bosses are designed to be challenging. The are meant to test your skills. As an average at best player, I think they are an outstanding design added to the festival given there are plenty of easy things to do for the exact same rewards. It took me multiple festivals to finally clear all but the Liadri orb achievement, which I may or mot not attempt this year.

The first boss alone is just a normal mob. The rest are just about mechanics. If you can adjust your playstyle and adapt and learn the encounters, then most will be straightforward.

They are nowhere near the high end of the skill ladder, but I don't understand why people who want to test their skill shouldn't have something for them. The Gauntlet has largely been praised and welcomed over the years and the feeling of accomplishment in beating Liadri has been one of the top memorable moments for many a player.

I don't raid and I'm not really an elite player, a meta player or the such. And yeah I got largely pissed off when I was doing them back in the day. But, coming to the forums and asking for a nerf in a popular and successful piece of content which is as designed, is never going to happen since none of them are overtuned. Not a single one.

The whole point of this thread is: Challenging content doesn't belong in festivals.
    It's supposed to be a casual thing, something everyone can do, not an experience that makes you want to smash your keyboard ._.

Luckily I had a theif which made the worst achievements doable without it taking hundreds of tries.

Do you think the clock tower jp doesn't belong in the festival?

And how easy should a festival be?

• How about there has got to be a good balance of mild-medium and good difficulty content. And there is. There are many other festival events to do, and this one is not in any way hindering you. You don't have to do it. The content is designed for a balance of challenge for a balance of players of different sorts. I don't go for this one, because as a somewhat older player (43) i am not inspired anymore to do the most challenging content. Doesn't mean i wan't to deny other players their fun with harder content. Let them.

• How to run through the queen's guantlet with ease.

Roll a Thief Daredevil.
    Equip 2 shortbows. Run as much dire/trailblazer as you can.
    Spam shortbow 4, weapon swap on cooldown and dodge away as need.

And then victory.

• Git gud

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Westenev.5289 said:
    I don't think queens gauntlet was content you are supposed to defeat one after the other for self-gratification. It's a game mode where you're meant to keep banging your head against a wall until either you or the wall gives up.

Whenever I read that youre supposed to keep banging your head against the wall to defeat this and that, I feel its always about brains vs. brawn.

I mean, you can also try to figure out what is going on. Especially in Queens gauntlet

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

What I don't understand is why a self-professed "gamer" argues against the existence of the top tier of difficulty in any content.

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

Odd post from someone who sets up and casts PvP Tournaments. Perhaps, as a friend, Wooden Potatoes could give some tips?

• Top and bottom of it, your skills have slipped. It's so much easier now than when it was origonally introduced, what with power creep.

It's supposed to be challenging, if you're not willing to put effort into practicing the harder parts then honestly you don't deserve to be rewarded with the same stuff as those who actually did put the effort in. It is accessible to everyone, I cleared it with core warrior, which everyone has access to. If you chose to take lower powered specs or avoid skill types and playstyles you don't like, then you can't complain that content is too difficult. There's so many video guides out there now too.

I fail to see why the only challenging bit of a festival should be toned down simply cos there's some people who don't want to put the effort in.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Friday.7864 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

Who made that rule?

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• mtpelion.4562mtpelion.4562 Member ✭✭✭

I like the fact that this festival has something for a wide swath of players (plenty of content for easy fans while the dueling arena appeals to the hard fans).

I myself beat the Gauntlet during its first appearance and haven't really had much incentive to go back in there. I just noticed that they reset the AP for it, so I may go back again just to get some of those, but I'm not going to kill myself trying to win.

• Magnus Godrik.5841Magnus Godrik.5841 Member ✭✭✭✭

Im sorry but i must disagree with your statement. I had no issue defeating him on core mesmer, a class i dont play. I went condi using trailblazer stats with renegade runes, scepter/torch scepter/pistol with earth and malice sigils. Not optimal but did the job.

• TamX.1870TamX.1870 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2019

Queen's Gauntlet is definitely the most interesting part of the festival. It is challenging, but not too challenging. Most, if not all bosses can be beaten with various different builds and tactics. Furthermore, it is close the only controlled fighting place to try out your new builds, so I wouldn't mind to get something similar as a permanent feature.

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:
    Plenty of other ways to get tokens, so no big deal.

Yeah, this, but for me, Queen's Gauntlet is the place to put tokens in good use. I farm tokens elsewhere, buy tickets and go trying out things.

If you don't like Queen's Gauntlet, please, don't play it. It does not give you anything you would desperately need for other content. It is only for fun, at least for players like me who thinks that it is fun to face challenge, struggle and learn, and then beat that.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Odd post from someone who sets up and casts PvP Tournaments. Perhaps, as a friend, Wooden Potatoes could give some tips?

I find it odd that a PvPer would have issues with these bosses at all. They've only got one or two mechanics, Liadri and Turai included. Hmmm.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

i had done them all except Liadri and Turai, on past year just using a necro minionmancer.. GW2 had a lot of builds to cheese solo fights, and with POF this goes to atrocious levels.

"It's a testament to the folly of the humans and their gods. They say Arah was sacred, but all I see is one big dragon nest."(Rytlock Brimstone)

• TamX.1870TamX.1870 Member ✭✭✭

Very well said, @Ashen.2907! I especially like: "As you say, a festival is supposed to be for everyone...including those who enjoy a challenge."

@ugrakarma.9416 said:
    i had done them all except Liadri and Turai, on past year just using a necro minionmancer.

Yeah, those two are the hardest. For me, especially Liadri. Turai I have, but I can't say I can beat him routineously with all classes.

• @Friday.7864 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

There's no reason to remove challenging aspects of the game that have been there since 2013. Part of the problem of the game atm is that the challenging aspects are low enough as it is. You dont have to be a meta player, or a raider. You just need to think about the fight and adapt.
    Festival content without challenges means its worse to replay as well. Games that do well in the long term have replayability. Queen's Gauntlet has a decent baseline for people who actually understand their character, and additional gambits to change the challenge. No one is asking you to play with the gambits either. You simply need to figure out the mechanics and change your build a bit to adapt. You dont have to be "elite" to learn.

• this morning i logged onto my mesmer ( i have no clue how to play him), took a open world Axe/x build from metabattle and killed every boss first try (Stage 1-3 )( only that thief with the riffle killed me once )

but when watching some players fight bosses i think they dont understand the concept of the combat in this game. players who can not kill one of the bosses from the first stage intime. Stop throwing cotton balls ;-)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

• DoRi Silvia.4159DoRi Silvia.4159 Member ✭✭✭

LOL
    For the devs - Don't worry you just can't win with people
    Asks for challenging content and complains it is too challenging

I tried this last night, I have never done any gauntlet event in the past
    Jumped on the warrior, changed E Spec to spellbreaker to suit and watched a video on how to fight Turai Ossa
    Took me about 30 odd trys but I got it in the end.
    He is definitely challenging but NOT impossible and im glad for it too

Keep it the way it is guys! Kingslayer title is not for the crybabies

• @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

You realize that the people asking for challenging content are not the ones claiming that festivals shouldn't include challenging content. Largely those asking for challenging content have said that GW2 still doesn't have enough of it.

Jumped on the warrior, changed E Spec to spellbreaker to suit and watched a video on how to fight Turai Ossa

First, congratulations :)
    Second: your description implies that you're more skilled at gaming than most players. So it's plausible that what seems "easy enough" for you could be "way too hard" from someone else's perspective, given that the DPS output might vary in this game by a factor of 10 or more, based on player (not gear).

To be clear, I don't agree with the OP that challenging content doesn't belong in festivals. The evidence doesn't support the claim that this content is too difficult (as people managed it just fine in 2013, before HoT or PoF builds).

Nevertheless, I don't think we need to misstate the argument made by those against festival-oriented challenges.

I think the OP should have asked for help (or looked at guides) before claiming "impossibility." But that doesn't mean that they weren't frustrated to despair by the difficulty.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• DoRi Silvia.4159DoRi Silvia.4159 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2019

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@DoRi Silvia.4159 said:

You realize that the people asking for challenging content are not the ones claiming that festivals shouldn't include challenging content. Largely those asking for challenging content have said that GW2 still doesn't have enough of it.

First, congratulations :)
    Second: your description implies that you're more skilled at gaming than most players. So it's plausible that what seems "easy enough" for you could be "way too hard" from someone else's perspective, given that the DPS output might vary in this game by a factor of 10 or more, based on player (not gear).

To be clear, I don't agree with the OP that challenging content doesn't belong in festivals. The evidence doesn't support the claim that this content is too difficult (as people managed it just fine in 2013, before HoT or PoF builds).

Nevertheless, I don't think we need to misstate the argument made by those against festival-oriented challenges.

I think the OP should have asked for help (or looked at guides) before claiming "impossibility." But that doesn't mean that they weren't frustrated to despair by the difficulty.

Yes I understand that people are asking for a more challenging content in general- but this this event itself is a challenge and somewhat fits into the criteria of a challenge for achievers

Definitely agree with everything else you have said, I just got a bit fed up with the way this post was worded by the OP i guess

Back to Turai Ossa though, thank you and it definitely was NOT EASY , also not saying just cause i did it every one else can but i think it just took a little bit of patience on this one :)

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

Today I went to the new map Heart of the Mists, I tried to escort the NPCs to the capture point, but they just kept on running off to attack the mobs, I submitted a bug report 3 months ago, still got no response from customer support, when will they be fixed?! :angry:
    ... and the mobs need to be nerfed please, they kept on killing me within 1 sec, I'm gonna quit the game if the devs wont nerf them

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Are you seriously asking them to nerf content just because you find it too hard?
    Sorry, but plenty of other players are just fine with Queen's Gauntlet and you'd just be making things boring for people who actually enjoy it.

• @DoRi Silvia.4159 said:
    I just got a bit fed up with the way this post was worded by the OP i guess

Fair enough. The rhetoric in the OP probably hurts their case more than it helps.

• I also have a hard time pressing the dodge button.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.