Test server (closed or open)

Tayga.3192

Important: This is obviously a big feature, and big feature means it needs huge support.To arenanet: If there is any reason why this won't be in game, please tell.

I know this will probably never happen. Hovewer, this game desperately needs a test server (even if it's only HoTM). I will not say anything too detailed because I don't know how the engine works.

Since anet showed they are willing to do hotfixes, it's a good idea to have either closed testing (random players in various ranks get invite from anet) or open testing (every player gets a certain amount of non-recurring time).

General ideas:% Ability to give feedback about traits, skills and mechanics (obviously)% Ability to queue in some way% HoTM only% Since we get to see the patch notes in friday, test server could be available in the weekend after a patch note friday.

Closed testing:

• Will promote ranked because a person has to have a pvp rank to join the lottery
  • More controlled
  • Easy to get feedback
  • Probably easier to implement
  • Smaller server power
  • Not enough variety

Open testing:

• A lot more variety
  • More player happiness :P
  • Probably harder to implement
  • Hard to control

@Kamskill.9457 said:The question is : do they have the devs to make such things ? They probably have Swiss tournament as a priority atm.

I agree that Swiss comes first. They already said they will make on-demand tournaments. That can be used in test server instead of queueing.

Also I am not fine with (be it Swiss or queueing) unbalanced pvp.

Yes please! No more of this "we tested it internally; trust us!".

It's really not enough, and sometimes we need extreme or specific changes, but we can't propose or test anything on mass; unless it's something that goes live.Taking the risk that once something goes live in the main product, any imbalances only sour the experience and hurt the game.

If it's an entirely separate client just to run this version to prevent any exploits that could develop if the system was tied; I think most of us would be cool with that.

Wipe everything every few months or every new patch, could do entire game and make everyone 80; but I like the suggestion of it being just HoTM only. That way you can restrict access to people who own the most recent expansion to keep players relevant, but being locked to HoTM doesn't give anyone access to story but still access to all classes and specs.

The problem is that I don't think ANet is concerned this much about the issues with classes except the screamings about nerfs to classes (which are needed) - these take the light from most issues with game.

So, if ANet is not willing to address the main issuesj just the trendy ones, my guess id they don't feel like they need Test Server.

Even if they do want to have a Test Server, they might not have resources for it.

This game is unfortunately running on Confetti-fiesta GemStore skins currently.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:GW2 can log you onto different servers from your character menu. You'd just get a new slot thats on the test server.

Maybe just a different map called "HoTM Test".There are many ways to implement this and all we know is UI has very bad code. That's why I never got into detail, they should choose what's easiest.

Yea, a public test server is definitely needed. I know it's an entirely different game but how BDO implemented their test server is the be

There's most likely not nearly enough resources to implement something like this. They barely put out a balance patch to begin with.

We don't know their code base (from what Nike says is spaghetti code from internal sources but they're not confirmed), and we don't know what their priority list is. We're not entirely sure of their team size either in the sense of how many people they could put on a project.

It also depends on if their foundation is flexible enough to even add something like public testing on top of it (which closely relates to code-base).

SEEMS obviously do-able, and should have been implemented from the beginning. But that's kind of my point, there must be a reason why it never was because public test has been requested for what, since 2013? Maybe even 2012 when it released.

@Tayga.3192 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:GW2 can log you onto different servers from your character menu. You'd just get a new slot thats on the test server.

Maybe just a different map called "HoTM Test".There are many ways to implement this and all we know is UI has very bad code. That's why I never got into detail, they should choose what's easiest.Which would
not
be possible since if you've logged on to a normal character its on the live server. You wouldnt just join a seperated mist instance from there.

As I said, the UI is already made for fully logging you onto a test server from the character selection menu, per character slot. Thats how the HoT/PoF "betas" worked from within GW2 live. Not sure where you get very bad UI code from.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:As I said, the UI is already made for logging you onto a test server from the character selection menu, per character slot. Thats how the HoT/PoF "betas" worked from within GW2 live. Not sure where you get very bad UI code from.

I didn't know about expansion tests, that may be a better idea then.

"bad UI code" or "UI has spaghetti code" is used by a dev in a stream. I don't really remember which one though. Also, apparently older code of this game is kind of hard to edit. Remember first few days of swipe, ele stab bug, engi endurance bug and so on.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Daishi.6027" said:If it's an entirely separate client just to run this version to prevent any exploits that could develop if the system was tied; I think most of us would be cool with that.GW2 can log you onto different servers from your character menu. You'd just get a new slot thats on the test server.

I mean maybe, but I'm under the impression it would require an entirely separate build of the game that is neither developer or the current live service we have.

From the way A-net has presented their game over the years, I'm not sure they are even capable of just having an area tied to the main part of the game that is by design mostly the same but with simple number changes (like to coefficents, cooldowns, etc.) I recall long ago them being like "it's like we have to translate between two foreign languages between PvE, WvW, and PvP!" or something along those lines. Which I could understand if a-net had any worries of bugs contaminating the main game were they to implement such a system.

I agree it would be less intuitive than being part of the main client, but I'd rather have a test server and let them know minor inconveniences are fine; rather than a-net be apprehensive and find/use-it-as an excuses to refuse it to us.

• 4 weeks later...

@Tayga.3192 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Apply for an open QA position at Anet if you feel you’re qualified to test various things in the game.

USA is too far for me. However if I ever move there I'm sure I would at least try to get a job interview, though not as a QA :)I am not the best player ever but feedback is everything.QA positions don’t require you to be the best player or anything else. As a matter of fact, QA positions are pretty low on the totem pole and mostly anyone can get in. You’re given testing scenarios and you follow those testing scenarios and report and deviations from those testing plans.

Back to the topic, it’s kind of mind bottling that they don’t have test servers. A lot of issues can be resolved before go-lives if they had them for the public.

• 4 weeks later...

Assuming that these changes were up to debate or if Anet felt there would be a need to publicly test these prior to going live. This is also assuming that we have players that are competent and unbiased enough to give good feedback. Considering we see people suggesting ridiculous things, such as removing CD on weapon swaps, that’s not really the case.