Anet policy on Macros in WvW

Ged Kealmen.7210

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"Ged Kealmen.7210" said:Anet policy specifically states [..] "You cannot use macros to create skill chains in any competitive environment, including PvP, WvW, open world activities, races, etc."

The facts are these;
  • you CAN create those macros,
  • Arenanet staff aren't going to ban you for using software that came with your MOUSE,
  • People who have to use a trackball (hello, that's me <3 TRB22) or who like an old mouse or who can't afford a new mouse (P2W!) or don't have third party software are going to die more than people with a fancy new mouse-with-extra-buttons-and/or-macros.

Just dump shit in your garbage bin and your new mouse will show up.

@Svarty.8019 said:

@"Ged Kealmen.7210" said:Anet policy specifically states [..] "You cannot use macros to create skill chains in any competitive environment, including PvP, WvW, open world activities, races, etc."

The facts are these;
  • you CAN create those macros,Poor wording on their part. What they meant is that it's not allowed.
  • Arenanet staff aren't going to ban you for using software that came with your MOUSE,Poor wording on your part: there's no policy about
    using
    software; it's about how its used. If it's used to automate your farming or gameplay, they can, they have, and they will suspend accounts.

Macro use isn't even on the radar of things causing problems in WvW at the moment. I'm not particularly worried about whether people cheat with macros in a game that's not worth winning. It's about as sensible as being the fastest in the world at running on your hands.

@Ben K.6238 said:Macro use isn't even on the radar of things causing problems in WvW at the moment.

Most likely not on Anet's radar and certainly not on yours, but I enjoy roaming and havocking regardless of whether the match is won or not. As long as the environment is competitive I can have fun. I'm not a hardcore 5K+ rank player, but at 1.7K rank I have gotten into more than enough fights to learn the difference between skilled opponents and suspicious ones. Losing a good fight against a skilled opponent is absolutely OK. Losing fights against players who cheat is very annoying so it absolutely is on my radar.

Even yesterday I partied up with a random and after we both got blown up instantly by a guardian a couple of times, I mentioned he probably was running burst macro. My teammate's answer was that so was he, and he believed it was legal to do so. Macro use is far more widespread than many people here seem to believe.

@Swagger.1459 said:@Ged Kealmen.7210

Full post on macros...Report if you suspect someone cheating. Posting on the forums will not help.

Thanks. Obviously I have read the policies as my post opens with quotes from them.

And posting on the forums helps by promoting discussion and raising awareness on a subject. Even if it simply functions as a way to gauge the community's general opinion on the matter, it helps. Reporting and forum posting are not mutually exclusive.

@Ged Kealmen.7210 said:

Full post on macros...Report if you suspect someone cheating. Posting on the forums will not help.

Thanks. Obviously I have read the policies as my post opens with quotes from them.

And posting on the forums helps by promoting discussion and raising awareness on a subject. Even if it simply functions as a way to gauge the community's general opinion on the matter, it helps. Reporting and forum posting are not mutually exclusive.

Report and move on. There is already “awareness” by Anet on this subject, and they provided us the tools to report suspected cheaters... And Anet does a ton behind the scenes to tackle all sorts of issues.

You speculating “Point is that there are many players in WvW who use macros precisely to gain this advantage“, is just that. It’s an assumption not based on any facts.

@Swagger.1459 said:Report and move on. There is already “awareness” by Anet on this subject, and they provided us the tools to report suspected cheaters... And Anet does a ton behind the scenes to tackle all sorts of issues.You speculating “Point is that there are many players in WvW who use macros precisely to gain this advantage“, is just that. It’s an assumption not based on any facts.

Feel free to do those things yourself, of course. I will thank you for your opinions and move on as people should when strangers try to tell them what to do.

@Ged Kealmen.7210 said:

@Svarty.8019 said:The facts are these;
  • you CAN create those macros,

Just to clarify... you CAN but you still are in violation of Anet policy and you are being unethical by trying to gain advantage over players with lesser gear.

So yes, you CAN but you shouldn't.

You should if you aren't a fidgetty twitchkid and would prefer to kill people than to be killed - and if you don't care about your account. I mean, if you just got to 80, why not do it? Or why not use a second account with money you sent to it?

@Ged Kealmen.7210 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:Macro use isn't even on the radar of things causing problems in WvW at the moment.

Most likely not on Anet's radar and certainly not on yours, but I enjoy roaming and havocking regardless of whether the match is won or not. As long as the environment is competitive I can have fun. I'm not a hardcore 5K+ rank player, but at 1.7K rank I have gotten into more than enough fights to learn the difference between skilled opponents and suspicious ones. Losing a good fight against a skilled opponent is absolutely OK. Losing fights against players who cheat is very annoying so it absolutely is on my radar.

Even yesterday I partied up with a random and after we both got blown up instantly by a guardian a couple of times, I mentioned he probably was running burst macro. My teammate's answer was that so was he, and he believed it was legal to do so. Macro use is far more widespread than many people here seem to believe.

I've done quite a bit of roaming as well, and it's builds that counter me to a much greater extent than how they're played. Guardians can burst me down pretty fast, but the difference between when they do and when they don't isn't how fast they use their skills (I'm on 300 ping so it wouldn't make any difference anyway). It's whether I could dodge, block or evade their burst, which I can anticipate ahead of time provided I'm paying attention. Ironically, the faster their burst is, the more likely it is that I can negate the entire thing with a single dodge.

I play shatter mesmer more often than other builds, and the main reason I don't use macros is because when I see someone has started to dodge my burst, I don't want to go ahead and waste the rest of it when it'll do no damage.

@Ben K.6238 said:

I've done quite a bit of roaming as well, and it's builds that counter me to a much greater extent than how they're played. Guardians can burst me down pretty fast, but the difference between when they do and when they don't isn't how fast they use their skills (I'm on 300 ping so it wouldn't make any difference anyway). It's whether I could dodge, block or evade their burst, which I can anticipate ahead of time provided I'm paying attention. Ironically, the faster their burst is, the more likely it is that I can negate the entire thing with a single dodge.

I play shatter mesmer more often than other builds, and the main reason I don't use macros is because when I see someone has started to dodge my burst, I don't want to go ahead and waste the rest of it when it'll do no damage.Which a matter of self awareness...

Some will just go "well he got me good", "he got the perfect build to counter mine" or "yeah I shouldnt have done that, it made me loose". Or maybe just "damn he was good".

Others will just be projecting their own builds flaws and their own skill failings onto the enemy.

And thats where we get 95% of the cheating/macro accusations from.

There is no sure way to check for macro and therefore it is hard to code a way to detect macro. If anet put a "spyware", you will see players complaining.All these macro rule are just paper rules and even papers rules have contradictory part for example "does not provide the user with an unfair advantage over other players" and "You may bind dodge and jump to a single key".