Guild Wars and the Shinies

Hey there,

I write this post because I would like to ask people what do they think about the subject of cosmetics in GW2. This topic has been mentioned many times but I don't want to make a rant or outrage about this. I am curious of your opinions.

As we know GW2 is a B2P (Buy-to-Play) game. It requires no subscription, which means ANet had to develop other ways of monetizing the content, because only so many people can buy the new game.Since HoT Living World evolved a lot and instead of being just "Live Event" it is now a tool used for developers to deliver the major content of the game. We all know that expansions bring a lot of money which can cover many expenses. After PoF however, the approach seems to have changed and there is no info about any expansion on the board. Living World follows expansions, so you don't have to pay for it as they are delivered in one packet once you buy Expac cost-wise.

So leasing to my main point - PoF (to present) brings us a lot of shiny items that are questioned by many. They are this sort of an eye-candy. Non-destructive as they are mostly GemStore items. They don't provide aby advantages over other players. However, the way they are delivered is not welcomed by many people. We could say that this sort of eye-catching cosmetics have to exist on order for ANet to make a reasonable amount od money. But it also seems as an easy way since it borrows a lot from the Mobile market. It's the trend that MMOs start to follow in order to earn revenue and it's very understandable - it does its job.

But now, what's your take on that? - Are you okay with the current methods of ANet monetizing their content or would you rather see something different?Are you a fan of the cosmetic trend or not?

Leave your comments, I hope we can get a nice discussion here!

Shiney! With a title like that, every Skritt will come running.

Personally, nothing in the Gem store feels forced. There are some QoL things (extra back space, bag slots, etc...) but the game does provide a means to convert gold to gems and enough in game things that nothing really feels required. I have no problems with how Anet handles monetization.

I don't have a problem with it. Even if you want to argue that BLC is a dumb lootbox, they give a guaranteed statuette in every chest, so there is a guaranteed max number of keys you need for some items.And there are plenty of nice cosmetic skins available in game without the need for gems. Legendaries included.Heck, you can even convert gold to gems and get anything in the gem store if you're willing to grind for it. I've done that numerous times.

Nothing in the gem store is required, or pay-to-win. Everything is purely cosmetic and totally optional, and can be acquired without spending any real money - if you're willing to work for it. I believe that's completely fair (even if I do occasionally shake my fist at the gold-to-gem conversion prices...but that's player-driven, not ArenaNet-driven; so again, it's fair).

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

But now, what's your take on that? - Are you okay with the current methods of ANet monetizing their content or would you rather see something different?Are you a fan of the cosmetic trend or not?

Yes.... I'm fine with ANet making money off people who can't resist shinies, I fall on the side of the idea as in I don't care about shinies at all, as for other monetization like expansions yes that is fine and frankly is to be expected in a F2P MMO, ANet has to make money for GW2 to exist and if that means selling cosmetics to people who want them then so be it. To me this method is way better than paying a sub for content then paying for expansions and shinies on top of the sub but it is just my opinion.

I'm very fan of character slots, really a primary goal, the more you have, the more you want. Each time I say "okay that's the last, the next one is a key farmer" and each time I become attached to them leveling them to 80. Second goal is anything Inquest / Fox related, because I love both so got the new raptor skin.

I don't like the game not having a consistent aesthetic.Just watching the WvW doesn't seem like rival hordes killing each other for power, feels more like a Rio de Janeiro carnival parade than a "war" or "adventure" game.

but on the other hand, immersion is a crucial point for many GW2 players, so it's important for them to be able to look just what they want. them seems GW2 is designed to be more like a sandbox for RPers. "we had a fantasy world there, them dress up as u like and had immersion".

I must be part skritt, because I love shinies. They're actually more important than gameplay to me (though both rank behind story/characters). So ANet's business model is just about perfect as far as dragging money out of me goes; if they keep it up - and keep delivering a story I feel invested in - I'll continue to help keep them in business.

My opinion join that of previous posters, I buy what I like, if I find it's worth it to me. So far their content delivery has been more than fair compared to other titles in the industry who literally gate their content depending on Customer purchases.Not only do they frequently release free content, they also allow for a long grace period on paid content (Living World). I dont have an issue with monetization if it's done smartly, and with atleast a bit of interest toward their customers. It's a matter of choice. I like to have the choice to buy or not buy, and still enjoy the game. My opinion of the practice tanks when there is -no choice- but to buy, in order to enjoy myself, which they have so far avoided.

As far as skin goes, I'm fine with them releasing them on the shop, because they frequently release new ones for free with content patches and festivals.

Im okay with them selling stuff, its the prices that are outrages. I mean 25 bucks for a skin? I know they dont want to hear it, but more people would buy if they lowered the prices. What they lost in price they would more than make up for in volume. Why cater to whales only, when there are a lot of us that will buy the items at reasonable cost. As it stands they are the Tiffany's of MMOs, too rich for most people to spend on. It can make players feel like the company is being greedy, making a cash grab with these expensive skins, when they could make even more by selling more even at a lower price. Making them look reasonable. Another problem with cash shop games, after a while they tend to not put anything good cosmetic in the game. That really irks people, that you have to buy buy buy in order to have anything nice looking. Forgoing your ingame play and content to focus on loot boxes and cash shops is the worst thing a game company can do.

I don't even like most of the skins sold for gems. So I don't care. Also for mounts it seems pretty expensive. I care even less. But it is okay - as long as people buy such stuff and keep the game running and getting money into ArenaNets bank accounts to keep the servers alive. I myself don't feel forced to buy anything and like that I can do all stuff in the game without buying gems. That's that is fun. And I focus on unlockable stuff that do not require gems.

Also I try to keep gems/gold separate - not converting currency.

There are exceptions when I buy stuff - like expansions (have not yet but will soon) and story content. New char slots. Buying gems with real money (as long as I don't have eny left from achievement chets). That is okay for me. I might consider buying nodes or unlimited harvesting tools on sale some time in the future. But not skins. They are lowest priority. (Chairs and toys and stuff - as novelties are even higher ranked and I don't really need them. Not even using the free ones. Same for minis. They are just equipped and getting them for completion. Not using them though.)

totally fine, if i dont like it i wont buy it, if i like it i buy it, i vote with my wallet

unless Anet introduces an item allow me to turn outfits into individual armor skins

I refuse to buy outfits unless i find them inside my acceptable gem cost range inside combo packs; which based on my own calculation criteria, pretty much all of them arent worth it unless Anet discount them by 25%-35%

if Anet does allow outfit to be converted into individual armor skin, I will buy every single outfit

despite gemstores arent as expensive (actually relatively cheap) compared to other MMOs, i.e. BDOthese days i try to save up as much gold as possible to do trade-ins for gems

I think since PoF was released there's actually been an increase in the number of armour and weapon skins available in-game and a reduction in the number of new black lion weapon sets released, although I haven't yet checked actual numbers. Several episodes in season 4 introduced new armour sets, where we only got 1 or 2 (depending on if you consider carapace and luminescent different sets) in Season 2 and I don't think there were any in Season 3. We also had a few weapon sets released with episodes, and PoF itself had more armour sets than HoT did.

Other than saying it doesn't bother me it's hard to say exactly how I feel about gem store cosmetics. I do buy ones I like and I don't regret having them once I've bought them, so I suppose it's accurate to say I enjoy having them and enjoy the game as a whole more as a result, but it's extremely rare for me to see something I feel like I must have - where I'd enjoy the game less as a result of not having it. I certainly don't ever feel pressured to spend more than I'm comfortable with or to buy items I don't like as much because I 'need' it for some reason. I decide on a case-by-case basis if I like each item, if I'd use it, and if it's worth the price to me, and only buy it if the answer to all 3 is yes.

(The one exception is mini pets, which I collect, so 'do I like it?' and 'would I use it?' are irrelevant - the only question there is if it's worth what it costs, and since it's possible to convert gold to gems and mini pets are the main purpose of my gold the answer to that is always yes, the only question is if I can afford it now or will need to wait until later.)

I've probably bought more mount skins than I should have, but I do that in my other MMO too and if I played more games with microtransactions and cool animals I'd probably do it there too. (Which is one reason I don't play more games with microtransactions...except Pokemon Go but there it's just storage space for the cool animals which costs money.) I use all the ones I have and I don't regret buying any of them...I might have bought some different ones if they were bundled differently or sold individually but I suspect the total cost would be the same.

I certainly think the visual integrity of the game has massively deteriorated since launch and from GW1, it also pains me a little everytime I replace a really cool ingame skin that has a some sort of journey or process in getting attached to it with a much higher res and over all better quality new gemstore skin.

I don't think it's a terrible situation and aside from the Lootbox exclusive skins I don't have much of an issue with it if it keeps the game going.Just not thrilled about it either.

Tyria felt a lot more authentic and visually cohesive at launch when every other player wasn't a disco ball though, I can tell you that.