Is power chrono still good for pve?

Axl.8924

Power Chrono is pretty good, at least in raids although it's outclassed by Weaver. The rotation is fast-paced and a lot of fun, compared to a snoozefest like DGH for example.

In optimal fractal groups it's outclassed by DGH and Weaver, though. The burst just takes too long.

It’s still good in openworld due to self buffing against vets and higher, otherwise core mes for trash mobs + panic buttons (or if you don’t use Csplit burst).

Fractals/dungeons, it’s theoretically not very good at all, but it’s the best power mes build and manages to hold on if boss doesn’t phase and dies not too fast but not too slow (as the Csplit burst ends) to hide your pitiful sustained damage. Self buffing means that it still ‘looks good’ in pug groups even though it’s actually not meta-wise.

Raids, nothing really changed as long as you demand other players to apply slow for you. Otherwise, it’s now a pretty bad spec to bring for dps since you have other specs simply dishing out 30% more than you are.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:It’s still good in openworld due to self buffing against vets and higher, otherwise core mes for trash mobs + panic buttons (or if you don’t use Csplit burst).

Fractals/dungeons, it’s theoretically not very good at all, but it’s the best power mes build and manages to hold on if boss doesn’t phase and dies not too fast but not too slow (as the Csplit burst ends) to hide your pitiful sustained damage. Self buffing means that it still ‘looks good’ in pug groups even though it’s actually not meta-wise.

Raids, nothing really changed as long as you demand other players to apply slow for you. Otherwise, it’s now a pretty bad spec to bring for dps since you have other specs simply dishing out 30% more than you are.

Power chrono in raids is very weird. It's either not taken at all or its makes up half the squad.

@"Daniel Handler.4816" said:Power chrono in raids is very weird. It's either not taken at all or its makes up half the squad.

Yes, because a pchrono comp removes the need for boon chrono since it can supply perma quickness and slow by coordinating Timewarp whilst dealing higher-than-average dps. Remove one pchrono for another dps however, another pchrono has to swap for boon chrono to maintain uptimes, removing the advantage of running the other comp (because now you have 1 less dps).

Slow uptime needs to be maintained for Danger Time, the one trait that makes pchrono a viable dps, and now also for Split Second. Danger Time is so busted that pchrono only needs somwhere under 20% slow uptime for Danger Time to perform at or better than the other two options.

A previous plea to address Danger Time, which would now be highly reasonable considering the current performance of power mesmer builds who can't make use of the trait.

For general purpose open world dungeons and fractals its not. It feels extremally clunky and slow in comparison to other professions/specializations.I'd said that power mirage is the only option that can muster decent dps and surability in general pve.

@Xion.5694 said:For general purpose open world dungeons and fractals its not. It feels extremally clunky and slow in comparison to other professions/specializations.I'd said that power mirage is the only option that can muster decent dps and surability in general pve.

pretty much, recent nerf made it slooooow and survivability = 0. not worth trying right now

@Xion.5694 said:For general purpose open world dungeons and fractals its not. It feels extremally clunky and slow in comparison to other professions/specializations.I'd said that power mirage is the only option that can muster decent dps and surability in general pve.

Even Mirage (though I don’t quite understand why) feels far more vulnerable in open world than it used to. I was about to switch back to Chrono to freshen things up... but I’m minded to just bench my Mesmer for a little while. :/

@calb.3128 said:

Even Mirage (though I don’t quite understand why) feels far more vulnerable in open world than it used to. I was about to switch back to Chrono to freshen things up... but I’m minded to just bench my Mesmer for a little while. :/

For open world, I'm playing condi Mirage and love it. Certainly more than I did chronomancer, even before the nerf bat hit it. She's in (almost - getting last couple of pieces) full Viper gear and runs with axe/ torch and staff, and can really get in there and kill things quickly, usually without getting hit herself.

@Axl.8924 said:When I played a little I did die a little more than I used to, but some of that could be I haven't played in a while and im rusty as chronomancer.

Chrono has taken a sustain hit from having to have clones to shatter. Less an issue in PvE where the AI usually doesn't target your clones specifically, but in WvW / PvP it's rendered the class all but useless.

• 4 weeks later...

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:

For open world, I'm playing condi Mirage and love it. Certainly more than I did chronomancer, even before the nerf bat hit it. She's in (almost - getting last couple of pieces) full Viper gear and runs with axe/ torch and staff, and can really get in there and kill things quickly, usually without getting hit herself.

What runes do you use? Nightmare?

@hasla.9214 said:

What runes do you use? Nightmare?

Yes, using Nightmare runes.