Should ArenaNet remove duo?

Chilli.2976

Don't give me this bullshit "but I want to play with my friends" if you want to then go play another game mode that is not ranked. The population is too small to cater for the 10 sweaty players.I vote to remove it, as this is will greatly increase the speed of queues and I'd guess a better match quality?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing duo que won't have any positive effects on match quality, I'd argue that it would make more players leave the game resulting in worse match quality and worse que times in a already low pop game mode. The current implementation of matchmaking I've seen plat 2 and 3 players going against gold and silver players when its not prime time. But your argument is kinda weak to be honest, who wouldn't want to que with their friends? Shouldn't rank be for "organized play"? Instead we have neither full organized play, and or full solo jumbled into this mess. All because didn't separate it to begin with. They mixed both solo q and ranked que into the same player pool, people complained because as solo players they were getting farmed like wheat "for obvious reasons" and they caved like they always do, and gave us this middle of the road duo q "fix" that's both not efficient, that nobody wanted. Which resulted into this downward spiral of toxicity because people both cant make premades, "which you should with a healthy population", and also you're forced to play with some of the worst players I've ever seen stumble into the game mode. Not to mention without comms your best ways of communicating are pinging a map, which some of these people hardly understand how to walk, and pinging a map to them is like rocket science, you might as well be speaking a different language.

But at this point in time, reducing our options won't help. Personally I think you're wasting your time by asking for it. You won't do yourself any favors in the long run even if by some miracle you get your way, which will only make things worse.

People will always want a way to game the system. There's no way for an algorithm to properly balance duos. They could be really bad...could be really good with voice com...or could be manipulated ranks.

There's absolutely ZERO logic to allow solo players play against teams with duos unless there is ZERO concern for quality matchmaking. Without duos, the matchmaking wouldn't be perfect, but it would be much more accurate and shorter que times. The answer is obvious, but like I said, people always want a way to game the system and make up BS excuses to justify it.

BTW, pay attention to the top players. Notice how they will try to justify gaming the system by using an altruistic excuse such as "I want to play with my friends". Yet they NEVER seem to be playing in duo ques with friends other that those that can manipulate a better record/matchmaking. If the "friend" can't help them, they suddenly don't want to play with them. They should at least be honest and say...I ONLY want to play with friends who will help me manipulate better matchmaking and win.

this game is unplayable soloq at high ranks, none of these guys would reach 1800 with soloq.unless you are duo Q, the game would just be unbearable with your enemies having 2 high ranks and fillers while your entire team is fillers because there's almost no player base in this gameeither you wait for your friend to play with you or solo guys will just get frustrated having to fight people who only duoQ resulting matches completely one sided with 0 fun.i would rather fight a team with equal amount of fillers.this system is also bad for returning player/new player with the player base it has now.

Match quality suffers from low population already. Duo queue making it even harder for the algoritm to balance the games properly.

Also if we want to keep the seasons competitive and fair then there should be same conditions for everyone. Duo queue is an advantage, the very TOP of the ladder is always occupied by duo queuers as a proof. How this can ever be healty for a competition?

There should be either team queue only or solo queue only to keep the seasons as fair as possible. Nothing between. As there is not enough players for team queues, there should be solo queue only. But for those, who want to play with friends should be given the possibility = 2v2, 3v3, Swiss. And ATs should be calculated to ladder.

PS: The community voted about this already, just btw. We have chosen solo queue only. Yet Anet decided to ignore it and bring duo back.

If you people want to play Solo so hard then you should be using Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing Team based PvP mod in Teams...That's like voting about having 2v2 increased to 5v5, it makes no sense.As to you OP; you legit can't walk in here and say "you wanna play in team in a team based mod? Well play something else than team conquest". Just no mate, no, if YOU wanna play Solo then you go and play something else than team mod. If anything re-enabling 5man will bring back more people, possibly enough to justify keeping it again.

The pool is about duo queue mate. It is team based game, which means 5man queue in ideal case. But for that we simply don't have people. You would end up fighting the same teams over and over again and outside of prime time you would wait ages in queue.

You saying it's not for solo queuers, yet you need them to ever get a game running. Solo queuers are forced to play with duo right now. Like I said before, either 5man queue or solo queue only, nothing between.

@"Alatar.7364" said:If you people want to play Solo so hard then you should be using Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing Team based PvP mod in Teams...That's like voting about having 2v2 increased to 5v5, it makes no sense.As to you OP; you legit can't walk in here and say "you wanna play in team in a team based mod? Well play something else than team conquest". Just no mate, no, if YOU wanna play Solo then you go and play something else than team mod. If anything re-enabling 5man will bring back more people, possibly enough to justify keeping it again.

If you want that "team mode" so bad then you should use Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing soloQs in a Solo/Duo queue, DuoQ doesn't help that "team mode" at all, it just ruins soloQ since the population is so low that there will be max 2 DuoQs per game which means MINIMUM 6 soloQs which means most of the people in the game are in an disadvantage which is unfun nor competitive. Bad for casuals, bad for tryharders, good to abuse, good for friendships if games goes well :wink: .

I know all the top ranked 5years+ pvp players, only duoQ now because it's just funnier and easier for them but if you want to climb the ladder as a solo, newcomer in pvp, GL mate. It's literally impossible because facing those high ranks duoQs is just frustrating.Then you may say "then go find a duo mate" but it's not that easy when you're a new "middle elo looking to be top" pvp player since they all know each other already and have big ego calling others nonames (atleast in EU, dunno about NA).

My whole experience in pvp has been lots of casual games for the legendary backpack few years ago then half this season 17, got ranked to plat 2 on both my accounts and i just feel powerless whenever i meet these CI mirage/rev duos as a Necro player with full pugs. Tho whenever i meet these same players but playing solo, even tho they're much more experienced and top ~10-150, it feels much more winnable == competitive/fair, right ?

@Kamskill.9457 said:

@"Alatar.7364" said:If you people want to play Solo so hard then you should be using Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing Team based PvP mod in Teams...That's like voting about having 2v2 increased to 5v5, it makes no sense.As to you OP; you legit can't walk in here and say
"you wanna play in team in a team based mod? Well play something else than team conquest"
. Just no mate, no, if YOU wanna play Solo then you go and play something else than team mod. If anything re-enabling 5man will bring back more people, possibly enough to justify keeping it again.

If you want that "team mode" so bad then you should use Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing soloQs in a Solo/Duo queue,

This makes absolutely no sense sorry. Conquest already is Team mod so all I have to do is advocate 5man que which is exactly what I am doing and makes more sense than people pushing Solo on it.If you cant find duo/team then you either dont belong in team based mod or need to withstand solo until you do, it was about teams from the beginning, you also wouldn't just jump in other games or even irl sports based around teamplay and be like "omg I dont want any of you to play in teams cuz I dont know how to get one!". I found myself team within five seconds on an alt account, there is more people looking for teams on lower ranks then there are on higher ranks so there goes the "difficulty" for new players.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:If you people want to play Solo so hard then you should be using Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing Team based PvP mod in Teams...That's like voting about having 2v2 increased to 5v5, it makes no sense.As to you OP; you legit can't walk in here and say
"you wanna play in team in a team based mod? Well play something else than team conquest"
. Just no mate, no, if YOU wanna play Solo then you go and play something else than team mod. If anything re-enabling 5man will bring back more people, possibly enough to justify keeping it again.

If you want that "team mode" so bad then you should use Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing soloQs in a Solo/Duo queue,

This makes absolutely no sense sorry. Conquest already is Team mod so all I have to do is advocate 5man que which is exactly what I am doing and makes more sense than people pushing Solo on it.If you cant find duo/team then you either dont belong in team based mod or need to withstand solo until you do, it was about teams from the beginning, you also wouldn't just jump in other games or even irl sports based around teamplay and be like
"omg I dont want any of you to play in teams cuz I dont know how to get one!"
. I found myself team within five seconds on an alt account, there is more people looking for teams on lower ranks then there are on higher ranks so there goes the "difficulty" for new players.

This post is about SoloQ and DuoQ so i thought you were saying that DuoQ contribute to the overall 5 man teamplay while i'm saying that DuoQ ruins the Solo+Duo mixed queue and it should be only Solo but you actually only want 5v5s then just go AT because your message is sort of off topic here.

And yes i totally agree that finding teammates at lower ranks is easy since there is much less judgement to each other but in a "competitive" game mode you must also think about mid and high rating, and i consider Plat 2 being mid rating.Of course there are less player once you reach mid tier but you play with the highest rated players hence the highest rated Duos and it get much harder to reach plat 3 facing these plat 3 duos to find a Plat 3 duo to play with you (don't forget the ego issue i was talking about too).It's a vicious circle where it's much much harder for newcomers to reach the highest ratings except if you abuse the queue by queueing with a low rated alt account, in the morning but that remove all the prestige and competition.

Remove asap. It is just another system exploit for paying power creepers and not to mention MM can't handle it at all. I've seen many matches with 2 duoq pairs vs 0. You can imagine the match results...Putting it into ranked was a really thoughtless move in the first place.

@Kamskill.9457 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:If you people want to play Solo so hard then you should be using Forums to advocate a new game mode and not be trying to prevent other people from playing Team based PvP mod in Teams...That's like voting about having 2v2 increased to 5v5, it makes no sense.As to you OP; you legit can't walk in here and say

This makes absolutely no sense sorry. Conquest already is Team mod so all I have to do is advocate 5man que which is exactly what I am doing and makes more sense than people pushing Solo on it.If you cant find duo/team then you either dont belong in team based mod or need to withstand solo until you do, it was about teams from the beginning, you also wouldn't just jump in other games or even irl sports based around teamplay and be like
. I found myself team within five seconds on an alt account, there is more people looking for teams on lower ranks then there are on higher ranks so there goes the "difficulty" for new players.

This post is about SoloQ and DuoQ so i thought you were saying that DuoQ contribute to the overall 5 man teamplay while i'm saying that DuoQ ruins the Solo+Duo mixed queue and it should be only Solo but you actually only want 5v5s then just go AT because your message is sort of off topic here.

I dont want "only" 5man, it should be part of the Que for all, so people who want to care about rating can actually make it so their rating is not dependant on random pugs, while people who dont want to play in team/cant yet find it can still que but at the cost of the possibility of facing a full 5 man team. I am voting here against removing Duo because it only further undermines the possibility of 5man que returning while also taking away the very last fragment of a teamplay. When anet gave us a vote about the solo/duo they explicitly mentioned it is going to be a temporary trial but they never cancelled it.And yes, there is an AT but that means nothing except monthly AT, with 5man que back the rating of Ranked matches would actually begin to have a meaning again providing incentive for more people to pvp and for more people to look for teams while also reducing if not almost eliminating Wintrading if a player has a full team and as a bonus it would be available entire season and not once a month.If you take a look at mATs it's mostly won by teams that are already Pro and they just get their QP ready so you dont actually get to meet them much/or at all during normal AT ques and therefore you lose on the possibility of improving as you face superior players, I believe if this was to be in Rank people could progressively learn more and thus gain means to improve their rating, which is likely what a 5man team would be looking for.

@Alatar.7364 said:

I dont want "only" 5man, it should be part of the Que for all, so people who want to care about rating can actually make it so their rating is not dependant on random pugs, while people who dont want to play in team/cant yet find it can still que but at the cost of the possibility of facing a full 5 man team. I am voting here against removing Duo because it only further undermines the possibility of 5man que returning while also taking away the very last fragment of a teamplay. When anet gave us a vote about the solo/duo they explicitly mentioned it is going to be a temporary trial but they never cancelled it.And yes, there is an AT but that means nothing except monthly AT, with 5man que back the rating of Ranked matches would actually begin to have a meaning again providing incentive for more people to pvp and for more people to look for teams while also reducing if not almost eliminating Wintrading if a player has a full team and as a bonus it would be available entire season and not once a month.If you take a look at mATs it's mostly won by teams that are already Pro and they just get their QP ready so you dont actually get to meet them much/or at all during normal AT ques and therefore you lose on the possibility of improving as you face superior players, I believe if this was to be in Rank people could progressively learn more and thus gain means to improve their rating, which is likely what a 5man team would be looking for.

So what you want is a second queue and rank for 5 mans, like Flex Queues and Solo/Duos in LoL, fine but as i said, that's off topic.Though your argument for letting DuoQ is that it's kind of closer to 5 mans because of the teamplay and faster communication i guess, but as long as this queue is Solo + Duo based, it won't be healthy, never will be.

Easiest yes i've ever given. Merged queues have no place in this game and to say they've done the population any favors would be incredibly dishonest.

To the people voting no, nobody said the game has to be restricted to SoloQ only. There's a huge array of possible arenas to split from SoloQ as competitive ways to play with friends.

What's important is just giving people the option to queue Solo when they not might have or aren't able to play with friends either at the moment or in general. Mixing them together was and always will be a terrible idea.

Yes remove it. When it became the wintrade wars in season 6 it ruined ranked. Sadly it hasn't stopped because mama's basement trolls have no low and too much time at home.

Make a alt, rank it up, get on voice chat with buddies and click join like butt buddies, if you are teamed up and you a alt then play if not throw the game.

Trade wins with fellow no skillz and get top spots. Just like how last season's wintrade winner ended this season at 191-95 but last season was 109-13? ??????

We did this already. Unless we add in other gamemodes where you can "play with friends" competitively (and NO, one tournament every X hour doesn't count), we should leave it in. So my vote would be no. But, if we add some other gamemode after 7 years (like 2v2), then I'd change my answer to yes. iT DePEnDs.