Anniversary Sale: Starting with a whimper?

@DeanBB.4268 said:

@Stormsgale.8264 said:From everything coming out when exactly is the dreadnought raptor skin being released?

Here ya go:

Returning This WeekShrine Guardian Jackal SkinDreadnought Raptor SkinMagnificent Hummingbird Skimmer Skin

So does returning this week, mean it will not be on sale? Like what they did for the Rune-fed and Silver-fed Salvagematics?

@Josiah.2967 said:

@Stormsgale.8264 said:From everything coming out when exactly is the dreadnought raptor skin being released?

Here ya go:

Returning This WeekShrine Guardian Jackal SkinDreadnought Raptor SkinMagnificent Hummingbird Skimmer Skin

So does returning this week, mean it will not be on sale? Like what they did for the Rune-fed and Silver-fed Salvagematics?

Seems like it will be full price, yes. We won't be sure until it's actually added.

@Josiah.2967 said:

Here ya go:

The other mounts available from this year's sale (Resplendent Avialan Raptor, Umbral Demon, Grand Lion) are 20% off, so the others will probably be the same. Expect to pay 1600 gems.

@Ultramex.1506 said:I am disappointed that first week is nothing but packages, i don't need other stuff i just want the outfit.

Same here. I've been wanting to get the cryomancer glider and was excited when they re-released the Gem Aura Appearance Package. But, to my dismay, the glider by itself isn't for sale! Is that an oversight or marketing tactic?

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@PeerlessArch.6547 said:I read over last year's anniversary sales -- TONs of utility item salesI read over this year's anniverary sales -- all outfit / mount packages

W.TF?

IKR, i just want storage and character slots. The rest is too overpriced for me. Last years looked good, wish i had been playing then.

Same, I don't care at all about fashion wars and just want stuff that actually affects gameplay, but there is close to none so far in the sale. Hoping the end of month sales include more utility items.

@Poormany.4507 said:

@PeerlessArch.6547 said:I read over last year's anniversary sales -- TONs of utility item salesI read over this year's anniverary sales -- all outfit / mount packages

W.TF?

IKR, i just want storage and character slots. The rest is too overpriced for me. Last years looked good, wish i had been playing then.

Same, I don't care at all about fashion wars and just want stuff that actually affects gameplay, but there is close to none so far in the sale. Hoping the end of month sales include more utility items.

Thats what im waiting for also. I hate fashion wars, i think it demeans the gameplay, when all people do is compare who has the biggest credit card to look fabulous.

@Josiah.2967 said:Anyone else feeling incredibly let down by the anniversary sale? I bought hundreds of dollars worth of gems in anticipation for the sale, and have bought almost nothing. I hope it ends with a bang because it started with a whimper.

@ Josiah.2967: You've done the wise thing to pre-buy Gems in advance of Sale Items you would like. The real patience trick is make a list of the Gem Store items you would like while at the same time forgetting you have the Gems: Don't fall into the mindset of "Heck I just bought XXXX amount gems and I need to spend them! ": No, you don't need to spend them, you just need time and patience !!! : Just keep checking every day on either forum or BLTC to see if the item(s) pop-up on sale you want, then when they do, buy wisely at discount. Key point is, even if the specific item you want discounted does not come up on sale during Anniversary Sales, then wait, until when they do, whether it's 1 week, 1 month or 6 months: Unless you are really desperate for some QoL item and you don't mind paying full price for the benefit it will bring.

Its just standard business acumen though as other posters mention. Anet knows many people will pre-buy gems for sales: If they put all the really useful functional QoL stuff like: Char slots, Shared inventory slots, Bank/bag slots, Perma tools with glyphs, Name change contract, Mistlock Sanctuary Passkey first then players would use their Gems up on the stuff they really want and not be enticed later on by all the fashion & novelty stuff. Still there is no harm once in a while in treating yourself to the odd "fashion or novelty item" if it is something you really like, but I'd always recommend prioritising the QoL stuff first as it makes such a big difference in-game (i.e. Full Shared Invent. slots are a total blessing if you play multiple characters: Perma tools, Salvager, Passkeys, Lw3/Lw4 Tomes, Any perma contracts, TP to player: Absolute QoL game changer for me).

@"Tiviana.2650""Thats what im waiting for also. I hate fashion wars, i think it demeans the gameplay, when all people do is compare who has the biggest credit card to look fabulous."

^^ There is nothing wrong in striving for something in game to customise your character as exactly as you choose. But I don't see it either about a comparison of whom has the biggest credit card. This is an MMO after all and there are plenty of Collections, Achievements for nice fashion items (e.g. Requiem & Perfected Envoy Armours, Aurora, Ad-infinitum etc) items, and farming opportunities to be able to afford Exclusive Dyes, Skins, Infusions without use of any Credit Card at all.

Fashion wars is totally fine as it is, because THINK of the alternative if Anet changed their strategy to Cash Shop Only "Pay-to-Win items" like a lot of games on the market. Would you prefer Cash Shop Only items such as for example: i) Strength boosters (+5% Power) for 150 Gems, ii) Defence boosters (+5% Toughness) for 150 Gems, iii) Cash-shop only Legendary Weapons,Armours,Trinkets (+3-5% more attributes than the in-game collection ones we have now) for 2000 Gems each ??? Imagine how the game would be then? It would be survival of the richest in PvP and WvW, and you'd be kicked from Raids, T4 fractals if you didn't have all the Cash-Shop items ? Would that be better than fashion wars ?

I've played games that are Pay-to-Win and there is no truer reflection of which player has the bigger wallet when you are competing & watching duels & tournaments which become a battle purely of whom has the most Cash-Shop enhancements on their account. IF the day ever comes when Gw2 became like that, I would instantly uninstall. Worth thinking in 1v1: A skilled PvP player with full exotic/ascended set ( with 1G on their account with no fashion enhancements) can easily beat a not so-skilled player with Full Legendary everything, most expensive exclusive dyes & infusions (with 200K G on their account). The rich player at least will look good when they die 100 times in 100 1v1 battles !!!

Gaming Skill =/= Account Worth.

• Like 1

@Josiah.2967 said:I bought hundreds of dollars worth of gems in anticipation for the sale, and have bought almost nothing.

1. Why would you buy hundreds of dollors worth of gems?
  2. Never buy a currency in anticipation.

@LowestTruth.2635 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Send in a help ticket. They may credit you.

I did that when I saw it go on sale, hoping they'd be kind but suspecting there was a policy. Didn't get a credit, but I knew it was a long shot.

They usually refund the difference in gems if you can provide proof via screenshot that shows your gemstore history and account name that you bought it recently before the sale.

W.TF?

You compared 31 days of sales with 15 and are surprised that 31 offered more variety?The utility sales of 2018 didn't start until the 17th. In 2017, they started on the 18th. In 2016, they started the last week of the month.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

W.TF?

You compared 31 days of sales with 15 and are surprised that 31 offered more variety?The utility sales of 2018 didn't start until the 17th. In 2017, they started on the 18th. In 2016, they started the last week of the month.

Wish those 15 days offer something more useful, other items could have easily replaced them but sigh

anniversary sales had always been like this, except they got a lot more skins now

i've pretty much over the cosmetics stuff, outfits pretty much killed Fashion Wars 2 for me, there are so many parts of outfits I would love to use, but you are forced to use the entire outfit or nothing :\

I'm just waiting for the functional stuff to come up, like Character Slots, Storage Expanders, and Infinite Gathering Tools combos

@Ultramex.1506 said:

W.TF?

Wish those 15 days offer something more useful, other items could have easily replaced them but
sigh

Sure, I also wish for 70% discounts instead of 30%. I was pointing out that this is a pattern since forever, not new this year.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:They usually refund the difference in gems if you can provide proof via screenshot that shows your gemstore history and account name that you bought it recently before the sale.

The response was just basically "based on the date we sadly will not etc". I assume that they would have asked for proof if it was within policy - and I don't blame the policy; in situations like this they would be inundated with people going "BUT I JUST BOUGHT a month ago!" Or two, or three, or this year, etc. I just tried it because I didn't know how strict it is here. Some games are small and can be slack, some games are too big and literally can't afford to be generous because of volume. Ce la vie!

@Alin.2468 said:I like the bundles so far. Please keep 'em flowing Anet.

Also remember that not everyone was playing when these bundles were out previously. So if people like the bundles and don't have too much of the contents (such as permanent gathering tools) then these are sweet deals for them. Deals for those of us who have these things already are yet to come, I'm sure. It might not be until the very end though.

@Alin.2468 said:I like the bundles so far. Please keep 'em flowing Anet.

These bundles are the worst. You can not even gift an outfit/glider if you already own it...you just waste extra gems for nothing. I would even be happy if while the bundles were released, we had the option to buy the missing piece at full price. For people who buy a lot of cosmetics, most of these packages are an insult.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Josiah.2967 said:Anyone else feeling incredibly let down by the anniversary sale?
I bought hundreds of dollars worth of gems in anticipation for the sale
, and have bought almost nothing. I hope it ends with a bang because it started with a whimper.In that case one might say that the sale worked really well.

Easy, now they don't even need to put up anything good for sale, he already paid them anyways :D

• Confused 1