GW2 does not like pcie 1.1

Here's my problem, my 2.0 pcie slot is kind of trashed, so i get crashes sometimes when using it, so i usually use the other slot which is 1.1, i've had no problems with any game except GW when using 1.1, however in GW fps drops by 50% or more on 1.1, which is weird since the bandwidth difference should not matter all that much especially in 1080p.

At the same time, admit that for a format that dates back to 2004, this is a bit normal.It is a format that dates back to the era of Windows XP and itself is no longer supported because it is too old.It is not surprising that this format is a little obsolete or that nothing certifies 100% compatibility.

And considering what you describe about your PCI-E 2.0 port, I wouldn't bet too much on a gaming problem but rather on a hardware problem.

@Hdtv.2035 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:RX 480, W10, the gpu driver has nothing to do with it, at this moment i'm on 2.0 running over 70-100 fps, if i switch to the 1.1 slot the game runs at 30-40 which i find ridiculous considering more gpu intense games run the same on 1.1 and 2.0What's the name of your mainboard? There are no such things like different PCIe standards on different slots. More likely your upper slot supports 16 lanes while your lower slot supports only 8 or even 4.

The lower bandwith should not decrease your performance by 50%. I guess there is some configuration issue in your BIOS/UEFI. Maybe your lower slot shares its lanes with some other devices in your system (e.g. an SSD) resulting in a very poor bandwith.

• 2 weeks later...

@Hdtv.2035 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:RX 480, W10, the gpu driver has nothing to do with it, at this moment i'm on 2.0 running over 70-100 fps, if i switch to the 1.1 slot the game runs at 30-40 which i find ridiculous considering more gpu intense games run the same on 1.1 and 2.0

GW2 is famous for killing cards at launch due to heavy PCI e usage.GW2 is more demanding on the pcie slot than vast majority AAA titles. GW2 is a MMO change your expectations on demanding.

@"Hdtv.2035" said:which is weird since the bandwidth difference should not matter all that much especially in 1080p.

That's a false statement that broad media and internet in general always fails to understand. PCIE bandwidth matters when there's a lot of i/o traffic happening. In gpus, this is can happen when:

• Using gpu as a compute unit, which will require the gpu to communicate constantly with the RAM, hard disk, cpu...
  • Very high amount of draw calls, like you experience in latest 3DMark pcie benchmark.
  • High framerate that implies the cpu to run everything API related in a more periodical and habitual way, requiring more bandwidth.
  • Using the cpu intensively to render game engine stuff that is used by the API and as consequence it has to be sent to the gpu to be included in the rendering. This includes AI, server client interaction, compute required by the game engine like physics...

Of course if you test it in games that only use a fraction of it, like most reviewers out there, you will get no improvement. But it's like saying core quantity doesn't matter in pc performance because you get same result in cinebench single core test with an i3 and a 3900x.

Gw2, as an mmo with a client-based rendering design, falls into the last category. For every frame the gpu has to render, the cpu has to communicate with the game servers, render all the players, AI, combat stuff... And that has to be sent to gpu so everything can be renderized and displayed.Few years ago I did some test in gw2 with a r9 285 and I even saw performance improvement between pcie 3.0 x8 and x16.

• x16 had 110fps underwater, 70’s in empty map, 50’s in more heavy graphic situation and 23-24 in heavy cpu situation.
  • x8 had 100 fps underwater, 60’s in empty map, 46 in more heavy graphic situation and 22-23 fps in heavy cpu situation.
  • x4 had 77fps underwater, 45’s in empty map, 36 in more graphic situation and 20-21 in heavy cpu situation.

The same happens in other games like Civilization or Wolfestein, TPU tested the 5700xt, and pcie 2 x16 granted 93-94% performance compared to pcie 4.0 x16.https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/6.htmlhttps://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/22.html